PDA

View Full Version : Manny the Victim ?

Vthockeydad
07-31-2008, 08:03 AM
I have been a big Manny fan since Dan Duquette signed him 8 years ago. Has he made me angry over the years, absolutely. I cannot understand why a person who is paid over $20 million a year can dog it sometimes. Now, Manny comes out with a statement that the Red Sox do not deserve him and basically the Sox are making him out to be the bad guy. He is a victim !
We all know it is Theo Epstein's and John Henry's fault that Manny, while a great hitter, has many times mailed it it, jogged down to first base, etc. I don't know if he will be traded, but Manny, grow up. How many of us would give anything to play for the Red Sox, get paid the money he does, be on a winning team. I sure makes me appreciate players like Pedroia who keeps his mouth shut, plays his heart out, and produces.

Card&Al
07-31-2008, 09:33 AM
Well said! I couldn't agree more.

With the end of Manny's tenure in Fenway's LF potentially on the horizon, I think I'm most excited that I don't have to defend him to other baseball fans and to some degree to myself anymore. As a long time diehard Sox fan, I always trust the FO's decisions and almost immediately accept and love the players they bring in and will almost always defend them, even if I may know they're wrong...but I'm past that with Manny.

I smiled when he got caught wearing an Ipod in the field, I laughed when he ran into the monster to relieve his child sized bladder and I don't mind when he double points to the dugout after every successful at bat, however I hate it when he blows an easy play in the field to the extent where is isnt just an error, he looks like he could severely injure himself, then shrugs it off with a smile and an "oh well?!?" I hate watching him jog to first, hate watching him admire his home runs at home plate and I hate it most when he opens his mouth. It used to just be a senseless comment that no one understood to the point where you were almost embarrassed for him ("It was our destination") but has grown into negative comments directed at ownership, management and the team...and ultimately the fans who pay big bucks to watch him dog it.

I don't think I'm alone in this thinking. The Phrase "Manny being Manny" defines Red Sox Nation's defense of Manny for way too long. Whether its today, or in the offseason, Manny needs to go. Thanks for the good memories, its been a great run.

lil'papi
07-31-2008, 09:41 AM
He wore out his welcome his greed is now evident. No more needs to be said. He wants the next big contract knowing the RS won't give it to him he pouts, acts out does everything to get moved. Including throwing down a 64 yr old travel secretary.

He isn't funny or entertaining anymore he is out right a joke of a person and player. To get money he disrespected the game that's a serious violation of player code.

Here's to no one giving him a long term deal, cheers.:cheers:

yankees932
07-31-2008, 10:25 AM
Yankee fan here.... Not here to fight..

In my opinion, Manny said what he said yesterday to try and punch is ticket out of Boston. He knows everyone is unhappy with him, and he wanted to push it even further.

cocossox
07-31-2008, 10:56 AM
He wore out his welcome his greed is now evident. No more needs to be said. He wants the next big contract knowing the RS won't give it to him he pouts, acts out does everything to get moved. Including throwing down a 64 yr old travel secretary.

He isn't funny or entertaining anymore he is out right a joke of a person and player. To get money he disrespected the game that's a serious violation of player code.

Here's to no one giving him a long term deal, cheers.:cheers:i agree i want him outta here so bad.

RedSoxtober
07-31-2008, 11:05 AM
Yankee fan here.... Not here to fight..

In my opinion, Manny said what he said yesterday to try and punch is ticket out of Boston. He knows everyone is unhappy with him, and he wanted to push it even further.

Unfortunately, I think you're giving him more credit than he deserves. Manny just doesn't have a lot of self control and went to talk publicly where he felt comfortable (Rojas).

I wonder if he's been talking to Boras at all. Scotty was saying the right things ("the player getting paid $20M has some obligations to the team")... at least in terms of getting him another deal after this one. For once I wish a player was listening to Boras.

Great 28
07-31-2008, 11:24 AM
It's quite refreshing to read the statements of well educated red sox fans who understand that their ownership is just a bunch of waspy moneymen...epstein stole billy bean's moneyball on base percentage method of signing people, they got lucky with papi hitting before or after manny in the lineup, and they made a nice trade for beckett, altho we'll see in a few years where hanley ranks among mlb shortstops (#1, or #2 to i guess it'd have to be arod)....This is my first post on PSD and as I spent 2002-2006 in Boston watching first aaron boone and then the debacle in 2005, hearing literally everything negative about the yankees and their ownership, I feel it quite fitting that I might thank you red sox fans here on this forum for being realistic about Manny and the owners

lil'papi
07-31-2008, 11:26 AM
Rumors are afloat Manny wants back with his former agent. Not sure if that's the case here or not. Maybe kill two birds with one stone.
New team and agent? He is just a child mentally. How can he possibly compare Pedro or Nomar to himself. He made things hard here and if he just played hard shut his mouth and didn't do one stupid thing after another he would have gotten his extension and possibly a new deal.

Something happened we don't know about or Manny is just plain stupid. (later is more likely)

Brooke
07-31-2008, 11:32 AM
The fans are the victim not him. The Red Sox are in a middle of a pennant race and he doesnt even care. He is bringing the Red Sox down. He wore out his welcome a long time ago

I loved Manny and his game BUT enough is enough. I am done with him, he went way too far

Federer & Nadal
07-31-2008, 11:36 AM
Yeah he's a 20 Million dollar/year victim...No he's not a victim...that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.He's a crybaby who's lazy and plays the game 80%. He takes defense as a joke and doesn't believe in running anything out, including his Hrs which he so cockily enjoys as he sits and stares for 3 seconds every time.

homie564
07-31-2008, 11:45 AM
so hey i will sum this all up into a few easy words

**** YOU MANNY!!! GET THE **** OUTTA FENWAY!!!

does that basically sum it up for everyone's feeling :p?

J-E-T-S
07-31-2008, 12:32 PM
I remember hearing that Manny being Manny was an ok response when he was 29yrs old and at his prime. But now at 36 there is no excuse. Such a shameful end for his career with the Sox :pity:

Jeremy5150
07-31-2008, 12:55 PM
I think it could a great deal for the Sox IF they can re-sign Bay...

bagwell368
07-31-2008, 01:44 PM
mix a solid case of ADHD & Scott Boras together and this is what you get - chaotic bull. Manny is a spoiled self centered child, not evil until Boras has started pulling his strings.

I'd trade him for used tam*ax right now, forget Bay...

RedSoxtober
07-31-2008, 02:19 PM
I remember hearing that Manny being Manny was an ok response when he was 29yrs old and at his prime. But now at 36 there is no excuse. Such a shameful end for his career with the Sox :pity:

Before he came to BOS? I didn't think it was around then.

I think it could a great deal for the Sox IF they can re-sign Bay...

You mean to an extension beyond 2009? He's under contract for next year as it is ($7.5M).

Vthockeydad
08-04-2008, 10:17 AM
Yeah he's a 20 Million dollar/year victim...No he's not a victim...that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.He's a crybaby who's lazy and plays the game 80%. He takes defense as a joke and doesn't believe in running anything out, including his Hrs which he so cockily enjoys as he sits and stares for 3 seconds every time.

I started the post. Read it again. That was said with tongue firmly planted in cheek. I said basically the same thing you did. I said he was trying to make himself the victim and blamed his woes on the front office.