PDA

View Full Version : Cubs inquire on DeJesus and Brian Giles

phlp_bj
07-31-2008, 08:00 AM
THURSDAY, 12:12am: CBSSports.com's Scott Miller says the Cubs also inquired on David DeJesus and Brian Giles.

WEDNESDAY, 10:31am: According to Ken Rosenthal, the Cubs are discussing trades for a left-handed hitter, including Raul Ibanez. He is a curious fit and would leave the Cubs with questionable outfield corner defense. But, the Mariners have to be happy that a suitor has emerged aside from the Mets. The price remains two quality prospects.

Rosenthal says the Cubs could also turn to bench players or just stand pat. The Cubs already have a decent lefty-hitting bench player in Mike Fontenot.

One left-handed hitter out there generating zero trade talk is Baltimore's Aubrey Huff (.916 OPS). Can't explain that one.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/10914094/2

Paducahcubfan
07-31-2008, 08:23 AM

Giles or Ibanez would be great veteran additions

semperfi
07-31-2008, 08:25 AM
No thanks to Giles.

Cubsfan87
07-31-2008, 08:29 AM
I dont like the ideas of Giles or Ibanez. But the idea of Dejesus is intriging. Hes a good young player, and hes signed realatively cheap for the next couple of years. I would offer Pie, and a couple of prospects....Cedeno, Veal?

AndyDufresne
07-31-2008, 09:21 AM
I'd like Huff, lol

cubswoo
07-31-2008, 09:25 AM
Edmonds must be hurt more seriously than originally thought

AndyDufresne
07-31-2008, 09:27 AM
Edmonds must be hurt more seriously than originally thought

Not surprising.

Giles or DeJesus would be fantastic additions to this team. Giles would add even more consistency (more OBP) to our lineup but we'd have to move Fuku to CF which I don't really want to do and DeJesus bring s alot of things to the table...including playing CF.

I won't be sad if we don't land these guys (or Ibanez, who I'm warming up to) but I will be even more excited if we do.

Theriot2
07-31-2008, 09:29 AM
I would welcome Ibanez and Huff. Giles, no.

gocubs2118
07-31-2008, 09:30 AM
Giles did play some CF last year and Wrigley's OF is way smaller than Petco. I don't know if he can still play it but I would think its a possibility.

rcal10
07-31-2008, 09:41 AM
Dejesus is a guy I would consider giving Pie up for. He is only 28 years old and is exactly the type of player the Cubs could use. I see him as a guy who can hit around .300 with a .360OBP and a slugging .425 to .450. Plus he is a very good centerfielder. Other then him, I do not see the Cubs going after much.

Cubsfan1433
07-31-2008, 09:45 AM
i would very much like dejesus

Wrigleyboy25
07-31-2008, 10:02 AM
Whoa I thought that said acquire for a second.

damon berryhill
07-31-2008, 10:14 AM
I like DeJesus quite a lot. After years of hearing about what type of player he was supposed to be, he is finally starting to live up to some of the hype (and even when he wasnt, he was a .300 hitter with decent speed and good defense). As AD already stated, DeJesus already plays CF which means Kosuke does not have to be moved if we acquire him, which can only b ea plus in my mind. Moreover, you can still continue the L/R platoon if you really want with Reed.

I would be willing to use Pie as a trading chip in a trade for DeJesus. His contract status seems pretty good: signed a five-year, $13.8 million contract w/2011 option. (Break down: 2008: $2.5 million, 2009: $3.6 million, 2010: $4.7 million, 2011: $6 million club option w/$500,000 buyout).

On the other hand, I am not a fan of Cedeno going in any trade at this moment. I just don't want any deadline trade to hurt the depth of our current roster (plus, the emergence of Aviles seems to take them out of the picture for a SS at the moment). I understand that trade deadline prices are quite high, but with KC's crowded outfield (Guillen, Tehan, Gathright, DeJesus, and apparently mitch maier) I would think that Pie + 1 could get the job done (though the +1 could be a bit more expensive as the clock winds down and I'm not really sure as to who it would be).

I will not be crushed if this trade doesn't happen, but it would make me happy if it did.

CubsChamps05
07-31-2008, 10:14 AM
DeJesus is a solid player. Looking at his stats this year, same #'s Home and Away. A little bit better in day games over night games.
Also batting .435 with RISP.

damon berryhill
07-31-2008, 10:15 AM
Whoa I thought that said acquire for a second.

hahaha...

SURPRISE!:D:speechless:

Federer & Nadal
07-31-2008, 10:37 AM

I would love to have DeJesus. .301/.361/.458/.819, what is there not to like? He isn't all that powerful but has increased his power production this year with 10 HRs and 55 RBIs so far, and also packs a little speed with 9 SBs. He's 28 and has not had any injury issues lately, so he would be a nice addition. He has also played all OF spots so he wouldn't be taking ABs away from one certain position/player.

hawkeyefootball
07-31-2008, 10:46 AM
Doesn't Huff seem like a Piniella type guy? Can play COF 3rd or 1st base, having an extremely solid year. Maybe Hendry just doesn't want to talk to the Orioles any more.

scrubs101
07-31-2008, 10:52 AM
http://www.boreme.com/boreme/funny-2007/jesus-quintana-p1.php

nobody f**ks wth DeJesus

cubswoo
07-31-2008, 11:02 AM
Giles is pretty much on the downside of his career and DeJesus is a left hand hitting Reed Johnson. I wouldn't want either one.

davidfox11
07-31-2008, 11:03 AM
i wish i could find the offseason thread when i said i wanted dejesus and got ripped because PIE was the second coming of griffey jr

AndyDufresne
07-31-2008, 11:05 AM
i wish i could find the offseason thread when i said i wanted dejesus and got ripped because PIE was the second coming of griffey jr

No one on this board--even the dumbest people ever the post-- said anything close to that, so congratulations for talking like an ignorant troll.

mawp
07-31-2008, 11:05 AM
Giles is pretty much on the downside of his career and DeJesus is a left hand hitting Reed Johnson. I wouldn't want either one.

False.

Check home/road splits for the last couple of years on Giles.

Yes, he's getting a bit old, but he's still productive.

AndyDufresne
07-31-2008, 11:06 AM

He has a near .400 OBP

No, he's not.

Paints
07-31-2008, 11:07 AM
I still dont want t give up on pie, He is doing decent in iowa. I would like the out field of Soriano Dejesus and Fuku. Thats alot of speed out there. I just dont think we should give pie. Give them D ward for there DH and one top prospect and one mid grade prospect.

Bearscubs4life
07-31-2008, 11:10 AM
I still dont want t give up on pie, He is doing decent in iowa. I would like the out field of Soriano Dejesus and Fuku. Thats alot of speed out there. I just dont think we should give pie. Give them D ward for there DH and one top prospect and one mid grade prospect.

Give up on Pie now while other teams still think he could be good...Hold on to him and we will get nothing for him. I have no patience as you can tell

RedHeadsRule
07-31-2008, 11:11 AM
I wouldn't mind getting DeJesus, Giles, or Huff.

DeJesus could probably be the CF for the next few years. Giles has an outstanding OBP and could help our walk totals/team OBP even more. And Huff is having a nice year and can play a bunch of positions.

cubswoo
07-31-2008, 11:13 AM
False.

Check home/road splits for the last couple of years on Giles.

Yes, he's getting a bit old, but he's still productive.

He has a near .400 OBP

No, he's not.

All right he still can play a little but he'll never be the beast he was in the late 90's where you could pencil him in for 35+ hr and 100+ rbi's a year.
Luckily the downside of his career is 15 hr and a high obp but it is still a huge drop from his Pirate days.
Granted Giles downside is still better than a lot of players upside he is still expensive both in prospects and money so I would not want him.

Dfan25
07-31-2008, 11:14 AM
I really don't see anything happening. The royals asking price for DeJesus probably is insane because DeJesus is young and has a very atractive contract. The padres are probably asking for Pie + 1 like the mariners want for Ibanez.

Paints
07-31-2008, 11:15 AM
Granted Huff could play a bunch of positions but they are positions that we dont need help at. I dont see him just a platoon guy. I would love his bat in the lineup but no room, unless we move fuku to cf

davidfox11
07-31-2008, 11:16 AM
No one on this board--even the dumbest people ever the post-- said anything close to that, so congratulations for talking like an ignorant troll.

wow talk about being a jerk

rcal10
07-31-2008, 11:17 AM
I really don't see anything happening. The royals asking price for DeJesus probably is insane because DeJesus is young and has a very atractive contract. The padres are probably asking for Pie + 1 like the mariners want for Ibanez.

DeJesus would command Pie +1, but Giles should not. If he does, the Cubs will pass. However, DeJesus might be a very good addition, even if it means losing Pie and another decent prospect.

davidfox11
07-31-2008, 11:19 AM
by the way nobody wants ward including us

ABTY7
07-31-2008, 11:20 AM

DeJesus would be ideal- although he most likely will cost more then anyone on this board would feel comfy with- the guy is very productive and costs next to nothing (08:$2.5M, 09:$3.6M, 10:$4.7M, 11:$6M club option ($0.5M buyout))

Pie + a mid level (Tony Thomas seems to make sense for KC) for DeJesus is most likely the asking price...

Also, I wouldn't be shocked if Hendry pushed for DeJesus if Ron Mahay wasn't also asked to be apart of the deal as well...

Dfan25
07-31-2008, 11:24 AM
DeJesus would command Pie +1, but Giles should not. If he does, the Cubs will pass. However, DeJesus might be a very good addition, even if it means losing Pie and another decent prospect.

Which is exactly what will happen.

hockeyplaya97
07-31-2008, 11:25 AM
Dejesus seems like he would be a nice fit to our team. It will be interesting to see if anything actually happens.

Federer & Nadal
07-31-2008, 11:29 AM
He has a near .400 OBP

No, he's not.

.293/.389/.415/.804....5 Hrs 35 Rbis= This Year...on pace for 8 Hrs 54 RBis 2 SBs 37 2b 73 R

Average Year (Career)

.293/.404/.510/.914....26 Hrs 96 Rbis 36 2b 10 Sbs 100R

He is still production, but he's very much at the end of his career. He can still walk and has gap power, but as far as huge power production...Daryle Wards a better option. I wouldn't mind taking him in, and he's not expensive, so it would be a fine move. He would give us another lefty PH and spot starter that can get the job done, but as far as improving the team drastically, besides the veteran leadership, he won't.

PS...If you think OBP is the ONLY stat that matters toward what part of your career you are at...then you don't know much about the game of baseball.

AndyDufresne
07-31-2008, 11:29 AM
wow talk about being a jerk

Now you're just being mean.

ABTY7
07-31-2008, 11:41 AM
A thought on this- just putting rumors together here:

Cubs deal Pie, Tony Thomas and Ronny Cedeno to the Royals for David DeJesus and Roy Mahay

then...

Cubs deal Scott Eyre to the Red Sox for Alex Cora

Cora takes over Cedeno's back-up MI spot; DeJesus takes over in CF/Mahay takes over as the LOOGY- Ward gets dealt for a PTBNL or designated for assignment...

PunkShizzle
07-31-2008, 11:46 AM

Cubs deal Pie, Tony Thomas and Ronny Cedeno to the Royals for David DeJesus and Roy Mahay

then...

Cora takes over Cedeno's back-up MI spot; DeJesus takes over in CF/Mahay takes over as the LOOGY- Ward gets dealt for a PTBNL or designated for assignment...

Sounds good...you got 4 hours, make it happen!

uptownfan
07-31-2008, 11:48 AM
The thing that I like about Giles is that he's a .321 hitter on the road. You can say that stats are overrated, but it shows something. I think he could be a good bat off the bench.

Max Power
07-31-2008, 11:50 AM
Giles is a completely different player since the juice bar closed, but he'd be an ok pick up.

Dfan25
07-31-2008, 11:50 AM

then...

I would say you put together those rumors well. Kind of makes sense.

Heyyo1900
07-31-2008, 11:57 AM

then...

Won't work...Boston doesn't have time to make a deal like this. They are too busy trying to trade Manny.

ABTY7
07-31-2008, 12:01 PM
Won't work...Boston doesn't have time to make a deal like this. They are too busy trying to trade Manny.

A player-for-player deal takes almost no time at all to complete if the players are already agreed upon- the Red Sox and Cubs have reportedly already had talks regarding Erye and Cora- if they pull the trigger on the Manny deal and Grabow goes to the Marlins, the Eyre deal could be done instantly thereafter....

IndiansFan337
07-31-2008, 12:03 PM
Giles or DeJesus would be nice upgrades for this squad. I wouldn't bite on Ibanez.

Cubsfan1433
07-31-2008, 12:04 PM

then...

I like it

So- Pie, Thomas, Cedeno, Eyre for Dejesus, mahay, and Cora

Heyyo1900
07-31-2008, 12:05 PM
A player-for-player deal takes almost no time at all to complete if the players are already agreed upon- the Red Sox and Cubs have reportedly already had talks regarding Erye and Cora- if they pull the trigger on the Manny deal and Grabow goes to the Marlins, the Eyre deal could be done instantly thereafter....

I was only kidding.

CubsChamps05
07-31-2008, 12:13 PM

then...

This has to be one of the best posts I have ever seen. Realistic and makes sense for everyone.
Nice job putting it together. Now email Hendry and we are all set.

CubbieSteve
07-31-2008, 12:33 PM
I would love DeJesus. I would be ok with Giles.

I didn't think that the Royals would want to part ways with him, but I guess I may be wrong. He's 28, we could afford to give up Pie and keep David in CF for a long time.

Giles would be a nice option off the bench and for a spot start here or there. He's hitting .296 with a .393 OBP. Solid numbers.

wrigleycubs101
07-31-2008, 12:50 PM
I think Dejesus would be a great addition to the club. This IMO would solidify the Cubs 1st place.

Cubsfan1433
07-31-2008, 12:51 PM
If we get dejesus where would he bat?? I know this is Larussa ish but i would be open to this lineup.

1. Soriano
2. Dejesus/theriot
3. lee
4. ramirez
5. fukudome
6. soto
7. derosa
8. pitcher
9. theriot/dejesus

now dont laugh

AndyDufresne
07-31-2008, 12:52 PM
If we get dejesus where would he bat?? I know this is Larussa ish but i would be open to this lineup.

1. Soriano
2. Dejesus/theriot
3. lee
4. ramirez
5. fukudome
6. soto
7. derosa
8. pitcher
9. theriot/dejesus

now dont laugh

There is nothing funny about it, it makes 100% perfect sense.

cubblue12
07-31-2008, 01:15 PM
I said the same thing last night, I am tired of seeing Soriono come to bat with 2 out and nobody on base. You never know when he might hit one 500 feet.

AndyDufresne
07-31-2008, 01:19 PM
I said the same thing last night, I am tired of seeing Soriono come to bat with 2 out and nobody on base. You never know when he might hit one 500 feet.

He's had runners on more often than not this season, I'd reckon.

After the 1st inning of course.

Cullksinikers
07-31-2008, 01:35 PM
Here's my lineup:

VS. RHP'S:

1. LF- SORIANO
2. SS- THERIOT
3. 1B- LEE
4. 3B- RAMIREZ
5. RF- FUKUDOME
6. CF- DEJESUS
7. C- SOTO
8. 2B- DEROSA
9. SP- STARTING PITCHER
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
VS. LHP'S:

Switch DeRosa with Mike Fontenot at 2b, and I have a question....will say Reed Johnson and Davd DeJesus (if we acquire him) platoon in CF?

Brad IBCB
07-31-2008, 01:38 PM
Huff please!

smiddy012
07-31-2008, 03:11 PM
Here's my lineup:

VS. RHP'S:

1. LF- SORIANO
2. SS- THERIOT
3. 1B- LEE
4. 3B- RAMIREZ
5. RF- FUKUDOME
6. CF- DEJESUS
7. C- SOTO
8. 2B- DEROSA
9. SP- STARTING PITCHER
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
VS. LHP'S:

Switch DeRosa with Mike Fontenot at 2b, and I have a question....will say Reed Johnson and Davd DeJesus (if we acquire him) platoon in CF?

Yes, but Edmonds just definitely proved the Dejesus platooning idea wrong... I wouldnt mind picking him up because he could spot start for really any of our outfielders against right handers (without losing much if anything at all).

Cullksinikers
07-31-2008, 03:31 PM
Yeah so much for a platoon......

Theriot2
07-31-2008, 03:37 PM
Man, it is pretty quiet on the trade front for us.

mballa22191
07-31-2008, 03:39 PM
true, i guess we are really going to stand pat

bullcubbear23
07-31-2008, 04:10 PM
well i guess we did stand pat

not like we needed to deal for anybody anyways

Kirel
07-31-2008, 04:12 PM
well i guess we did stand pat

not like we needed to deal for anybody anyways
There is still time for news to leak. The reporters aren't literally sitting in on the negotiations.

I doubt anything major happened, but I would not be surprised if someone like Eyre is actually gone and we don't know it.

SonnyD
07-31-2008, 04:12 PM
Are there any last minute A-Ram/Lofton deals out there for us?

How about a DeJesus/Grienke combo? Why isn't Dave Littlefield on the other side of the fence?

Kirel
07-31-2008, 04:13 PM

How about a DeJesus/Grienke combo? Why isn't Dave Littlefield on the other side of the fence?
no, not likely. Though as I recall the Nomar deal popped up well after the deadline.

SonnyD
07-31-2008, 04:14 PM
no, not likely. Though as I recall the Nomar deal popped up well after the deadline.

I thought it was announced during the afternoon game. It was a Sunday, if IIRC.

Kirel
07-31-2008, 04:20 PM
I thought it was announced during the afternoon game. It was a Sunday, if IIRC.
No, a saturday.

The news may have broken during a game(I don't remember), but the deal was figured out just minutes before the deadline. Garciaparra himself was told, according to boston.com, around 4:45.

hawkeyefootball
07-31-2008, 04:21 PM
Guys like Eyre and Howry can easily go through a waiver deal.

Max Power
07-31-2008, 04:26 PM

He's actually being paid by the Cubs now. A scout, I think.

I have a feeling his GM days may be over.

Buckcub
07-31-2008, 07:19 PM
Guys like Eyre and Howry can easily go through a waiver deal.

I doubt it. Eyre`s a lefty, which is something almost everyone needs, and there's no way we'd move Howry, he's one of our most used guys.

Note, I didn't say best, just most used at this point.

Cubstradamus
08-03-2008, 03:26 AM
Giles is a completely different player since the juice bar closed, but he'd be an ok pick up.

My thoughts exactly

Giles is never going to be a power HR hitter again but he still gets on base and has some pop in his bat. I would not be angry or annoyed if we add him.

Very injury prone guy though and that worries me