PDA

View Full Version : Report: Packers offer Favre $20 million to stay home

Greenngld
07-30-2008, 11:01 PM
Report: Packers offer Favre $20 million to stay home
By Greg A. Bedard
Wednesday, Jul 30 2008, 09:51 PM

Green Bay - The Green Bay Packers are so desperate to not have Brett Favre report to training camp that they reportedly offered him a substantial amount of money to stay home.

WTMJ-TV Channel 4 in Milwaukee, citing two sources, reported that Packers president Mark Murphy offered Favre a package in the neighborhood of $20 million over 10 years to remain retired. Murphy met most of Wednesday with Favre and his agent, Bus Cook, in Hattiesburg, Miss.

If the report is true, it could potentially cripple the Packers in court of public opinion as it could be interpreted as they were attempting to bribe Favre, a player that has said he wants to continue his career.

Murphy arrived back in Green Bay at approximately 9 p.m. and did not stop to talk to reporters as he was driven from the airport. A few minutes later, the Packers released this statement from Murphy:

"I was in Hattiesburg today and had a nice visit with Brett Favre. We discussed a number of topics not related to football, including Brett’s long-term relationship with the Packers. I consider our conversation to be confidential and am going to be respectful of Brett and his family and keep the details private."

When asked if the Packers had a specific comment on WTMJ's report, Murphy's spokesman, Aaron Popkey, said no further comment would be coming from the Packers this evening.

Favre apparently didn't think much of the Packers' offer, as Cook told reporters that his client wished to return to the Packers.

"Right now he's interested in going back to the Green Bay Packers," Cook said.

"He would love to go back to Green Bay. That's why he started working out. But right now it looks like he'll be the quarterback at Oak Grove High School (where Favre has been working out)."

I have thought management has handled this as well as possible before this, but if true, its total BS. I still hold Favre mostly responsible, but now the Packers seem to have gone off the deep end and are grasping at anything.

XJW18
07-30-2008, 11:02 PM
What...!

newdude
07-30-2008, 11:20 PM
Woah, if this is true, the Packers management have sunk to a new low. But lol, why 20 mil in 10 years when he could attend camp and get 12 mil in one year. But isn't this against some NFL regulation or something?

iam brett favre
07-30-2008, 11:34 PM
:pity:
TT, leave the NFL.. now.

BrewCityBuck
07-30-2008, 11:37 PM
If this is true, I think it's clear Brett Favre knocked up Ted Thompson's daughter.

XJW18
07-30-2008, 11:40 PM
If this is true, I think it's clear Brett Favre knocked up Ted Thompson's daughter.

LOL

robdizzle3
07-30-2008, 11:41 PM
Wow this is crazy and you guys are right if this is true the Pack have sunk to a new lowand people will blame them big time

favreisright
07-30-2008, 11:42 PM
TT is a moron, true or not the man deserves to be hit by a semi and then backed over again and again. the man cost us moss because favre wanted him and we all know favre wont get what he wants from this ****. hate the man and not just now, i have been pissed about him sitting on all this money since he came here. pay grant some money you cheap bastard

OC Knights #11
07-30-2008, 11:51 PM
the packers are just making them selves look more stupid.

ryanph30
07-30-2008, 11:53 PM
wow. I don't know what to say to this.

iam brett favre
07-30-2008, 11:54 PM
I'm being dead serouis, is TT trying to get himself killed and/or fired?

ryanph30
07-30-2008, 11:56 PM
Yes, Brandon. It is clear now he is.

Person
07-31-2008, 12:04 AM
This just in- Packers offer Brett Favre more money to stay away than they do to entice Ryan Grant to come. Wow.

Soop
07-31-2008, 12:07 AM
Wow! It's getting ugly. Your management is looking very bad, here comes more out of the bluff game.

darwin31
07-31-2008, 12:15 AM
I dont know how this latest news is Thompsons fault. It was Murphy that went down there and made the offer. Isnt he above Thomson?

newdude
07-31-2008, 12:20 AM
I dont know how this latest news is Thompsons fault. It was Murphy that went down there and made the offer. Isnt he above Thomson?

Yes, he is above TT, but they do communicate and decide things together. It could be that TT asked Murphy to do this and it shows how ineffective TT is during a crisis. It wouldn't make sense if Murphy did this w/o TT knowing.

ryanph30
07-31-2008, 12:23 AM
Can you imagine what will happen if Rodgers doesn't pan out?

ryanph30
07-31-2008, 12:26 AM
Management is going to get run out of town, this has turned into a bigger mess then ever imagined.

newdude
07-31-2008, 12:29 AM
yes you are right, mark murphy has final say yet him and mike mccarthy are held in high regard even though they both feel the exact same way. these favre-worshippers are as narrowminded and more as your last post suggests

Eh? Was that aimed at me?

ryanph30
07-31-2008, 12:34 AM
Eh? Was that aimed at me?

I was wondering the same thing...:confused:

Brooklyn22
07-31-2008, 12:49 AM
Man even being a die hard Vikings myself, I almost feel for all you Packer fans. Your front office is screwing the pooch on this one big time. For crap sakes just freaking keep Favre, trade Fred Rodgers and his damn neighborhood for a new tee for Crosby. And just groom Brohm to take over for Brett when his arm finally falls off. I think Brohm is better then Rodgers anyways, and if not now he will be. Hell even your boy from LSU is better.

mets_believer
07-31-2008, 12:59 AM
I'm wondering if Murphy went down there to see if Favre was in it for the game or the money. I mean its farfetched and ridiculous. But maybe they wanted to see if he was really 100% dedicated to playing or that 12 million dollars looked good...like I said farfetched. Just an idea.

robdizzle3
07-31-2008, 12:59 AM
yes you are right, mark murphy has final say yet him and mike mccarthy are held in high regard even though they both feel the exact same way. these favre-worshippers are as narrowminded and more as your last post suggests

Its not that we are Favre worshippers as much as it is that we have seen Favre as our QB since the early 90's and hard to see someone that has gave us so many memories and victories and has done nothing but win as soon as he stepped under center which since he has took the ball the Pack has the highest win percentage in the NFL.Now to show your respect to him by telling him not to go to camp and turn the fans against him?Im not saying give Brett the job but let him come in to camp an let the best QB win but the Pack cant have that.It is supposed to be best player plays but I guess not in Packer Nation

Brunner
07-31-2008, 01:10 AM
If true, this is rediculus and shows how childish and irresponsible the Packer's management is. What an insulting move! Give the money to Grant and get him into camp! Then we can fire TT, Murphy, and get Wolf back in here to run this organization with some integrity.

newdude
07-31-2008, 01:16 AM
I'm wondering if Murphy went down there to see if Favre was in it for the game or the money. I mean its farfetched and ridiculous. But maybe they wanted to see if he was really 100% dedicated to playing or that 12 million dollars looked good...like I said farfetched. Just an idea.

It's possible, but it's not that Favre needed money anyways. He's been paid quite well for some time now, and if what u think is true, then it's crazy if the higher-ups think this is about money.

AMart717
07-31-2008, 01:24 AM
Yes, he is above TT, but they do communicate and decide things together. It could be that TT asked Murphy to do this and it shows how ineffective TT is during a crisis. It wouldn't make sense if Murphy did this w/o TT knowing.

damn dude you hit the nail on the head with that one. TT is a *****

papipapsmanny
07-31-2008, 02:12 AM
wow this is crazy the packers are trying to pay there way from becoming a better team... thats madness

I feel like mcCarthy is getting pissed at upper managent with his remarks today

salsa
07-31-2008, 02:26 AM
wowzers

DOCTORAPK
07-31-2008, 03:06 AM
Gee whizz, TT, McCarthy and Murphy ALL asking the best Packer of the last 40 years NOT to come back! For all the BS Brett has taken...he certainly deserves better than this.

mntnvew
07-31-2008, 03:18 AM
I can not believe this, if this is truly the case, then TT and Murphy should be fired IMMEDIATELY.

They are trying to buy off the best player in NFL history (arguably)... and the NFL is OK with this...

We should all go beat down the doors of the NFL and demand some sort of fine/firing etc of the packers... this is supposed to be about competition, not EGO's and I think this proposal proves it is only about TT ego - PERIOD.

:mad:

WestTexasPacker
07-31-2008, 03:27 AM

HAHAHHAHA!!! brew, i think you might be right!

Ryan Diesel
07-31-2008, 03:47 AM
Where are all the TT lovers now?? Where is beast telling us how welcome Favre is?? They sent that red headed step child with a briefcase full of money trying to buy Favre off. 20 F'n million, are you kidding me?? We're nickel and diming Grant, and we're going to give 20 mil for the best QB ever to retire?? The fans want him back, the players want him back. The coaches may want him back, I'm still trying to figure out where McCarthy really stands on this, he sends a lot of mixed signals. Now they say if he shows up he's going to be forced to do only individual drills. He won't even be allowed to practice with the team?? I seriously wonder if they're going to try and lock him out like the Titans did with McNair.

mntnvew
07-31-2008, 03:55 AM
i have to wonder WTF TT is thinking, is he smoking illegal substances that can be prefixed with butt *****?

The guy is off his rocker and driving a SERIOUS wedge into the other players, will they EVER trust him at all? I mean if I as any of the 80 players currently on the roster, I would NEVER take TT word for dirt, I mean he is low-balling grant who had just under 1k yards in half a season but willing to spend 20 mil on bribing the best QB ever...

I am so appauld I can not even sleep... it is that disturbing.

TT should be FIRED today, 7/31 as Santa Claus would be a better GM then he is.

I know what it is, he got GM of the year last year and his head grew 10-fold... He is GAY!

mntnvew
07-31-2008, 04:13 AM
if he agreed and did this on behalf of TT then he should be fired too... *which he obviously did*

he can't be in the position he is in and be a patzy, that is ridiculous just release him or trade #4 to the vikings or chicago but don't look like a jack@$$ and lose all respect from every player in the NFL, the packers will be NOTHING for EVER if they have no respect from the players... forget about 30 years of nothingness... it will be an eternity now because of big-headed TT wanting to prove it is "his" team... (funny no I in team when it comes to Favre, but there is an I in team when it comes to TT)

Bring back the old guys (Bob Harlan and BF)!!!

Rtardz
07-31-2008, 06:10 AM
this is just getting more and more ridiculous by the day

darwin31
07-31-2008, 06:55 AM
I think the buy out idea would be more effective if he paid all the residents of wisconsin $1000 each just to stop talking about it and look the other way.

Brooke
07-31-2008, 07:27 AM
This is disgusting. They are bribing probably the best play in the history to stay away? You offer Brett $20 million(when this isnt about the money) when you could be offering some to Ryan Grant

this makes them look really bad. Can people defend TT, and Murphy now

PackAttack09
07-31-2008, 08:54 AM
Its not that we are Favre worshippers as much as it is that we have seen Favre as our QB since the early 90's and hard to see someone that has gave us so many memories and victories and has done nothing but win as soon as he stepped under center which since he has took the ball the Pack has the highest win percentage in the NFL.Now to show your respect to him by telling him not to go to camp and turn the fans against him?Im not saying give Brett the job but let him come in to camp an let the best QB win but the Pack cant have that.It is supposed to be best player plays but I guess not in Packer Nation

RESPECT? to show him respect? the only thing you earn in this league is your starting spot & salary... nothing else (in favre's case a huge salaray and a locker). fans can show him respect, but its a damn business. Where was the respect Favre had for the whole organization waiting until AFTER TRAINING CAMP to finally come back. the plays have been installed and practiced by players chemistry is begining to develope. I'm sorry but he could have come back to play up until the second time he changed his mind. There's no way that he wasn't warned about what would happen if he tried to come back again after he bailed out the second time.

SDteacher
07-31-2008, 09:31 AM
This is making me just as sick as you guys. I've been trying so hard to give TT the benefit of the doubt, but if this is infact true, I'm done. This is truly bush league crap. Harlan would never have let this happen. To me the possibility of Favre to the Vikings is becoming not as crazy of an idea as it once was. Sick. Sick. Sick.

servais77
07-31-2008, 09:34 AM
Wow I just threw up in my mouth. Good idea from the three stooges on this one.

Atleast the first team offense looked good in practice.

Oh wait they looked awful.

iam brett favre
07-31-2008, 09:53 AM
They'll pay Favre this much to retire, but they wont pay Grant more than a backups salary?

lavell12
07-31-2008, 09:55 AM
They will spend more money to get the best player in team history to retire than they spend in the offseason. What a bunch of clowns.

servais77
07-31-2008, 09:59 AM
They'll pay Favre this much to retire, but they wont pay Grant more than a backups salary?

They will also add a year to Sherman only to fire him and pay John Jones 1.1 million to go away. There is plenty of money in Green Bay.

lavell12
07-31-2008, 10:04 AM
The only good thing to come out of this would be for Mike who I believe wants Brett back to tell TT to go to Hell and that number 4 is the starting QB. If Favre comes to training camp Mike will make him the starter I believe.

Greenngld
07-31-2008, 10:04 AM
the only thing you earn in this league is your starting spot & salary... nothing else

Trust me, I'm no Favre buttkisser and he has totally disappointed me throught this whole thing, but if what you are saying is true, isn't that what he has said so far? And didn't the Packers say he would be welcome in camp? The chance to earn his spot and salary is what they don't seem to be willing to give. I never saw this last move coming and would have never believed it. This just got worse then the Marcus Allen deal in Oakland.

lavell12
07-31-2008, 10:11 AM
TT doing this reminds me of the guy in the Dark Knight whose plan is to blackmail Batman and Morgan Freeman's character tells the guy something along the lines that your this guy is a crime fighter who goes out and night in a bat suit who nobody can defeat and your plan is to blackmail him.

Greenngld
07-31-2008, 10:25 AM
TT doing this reminds me of the guy in the Dark Knight whose plan is to blackmail Batman and Morgan Freeman's character tells the guy something along the lines that your this guy is a crime fighter who goes out and night in a bat suit who nobody can defeat and your plan is to blackmail him.

I can see TT and MM coming up with this plan in one of their offices. Rubbing their hands together with a goofy grin.....maybe Brett will go away if we give him $2 million dollars a year. :evil laugh: Bwahahahahahaha, yes that will work becuase he needs the money and he doesn't really WANT to play. Get on it Mark! :smoking:

Reminds me of Dr. Evil.

DOCTORAPK
07-31-2008, 10:53 AM
:)I used to love watching the Three Stooges as a kid..

...now they have returned in the persons of Ted Thompson, Mike McMcarthy and Mark Murphy.

Yippee...the Packers have gone...totally mad.

ugottabjoshinme
07-31-2008, 11:06 AM
I've been trying to give TT and the packers management the benefit of the doubt on this....but this makes me sick

Ryan Diesel
07-31-2008, 12:00 PM
RESPECT? to show him respect? the only thing you earn in this league is your starting spot & salary... nothing else (in favre's case a huge salaray and a locker). fans can show him respect, but its a damn business. Where was the respect Favre had for the whole organization waiting until AFTER TRAINING CAMP to finally come back. the plays have been installed and practiced by players chemistry is begining to develope. I'm sorry but he could have come back to play up until the second time he changed his mind. There's no way that he wasn't warned about what would happen if he tried to come back again after he bailed out the second time.

No, thats where you wrong. Human beings deserve respect. And get your facts straight, Favre announced he wanted to come back 3 weeks before training camp. Training camp just started. The players are even chanting We Want Brett at practice. Now we're trying to bribe the guy? Really?

Martz
07-31-2008, 12:06 PM
If this report is true, i've lost a lot of respect for the orginization.

It can't be true...i won't believe it yet...

Martz
07-31-2008, 12:06 PM
I've been trying to give TT and the packers management the benefit of the doubt on this....but this makes me sick

dido

BrewCityBuck
07-31-2008, 12:08 PM
Again, what the hell do you want the Packers to do in this situation? THe way you guys just give up and turn on our management makes me want to puke.

Brooke
07-31-2008, 12:23 PM
^^ and bribing someone to stay away is ok? Whatever that is just completely disgusting

BrewCityBuck
07-31-2008, 12:32 PM
^^ and bribing someone to stay away is ok? Whatever that is just completely disgusting

The Packers have so few options right now, I honestly can't blame them for trying. The Packers don't want him to play for the Packers, and trading him is nearly impossible, Brett Favre put them in this position.

newdude
07-31-2008, 12:36 PM
The Packers have so few options right now, I honestly can't blame them for trying. The Packers don't want him to play for the Packers, and trading him is nearly impossible, Brett Favre put them in this position.

Nearly impossible? They r the ones who put themselves in that situation by asking for a 1st rounder!!!! Teams were interested but TT asked for too much trying to make Favre stay retired.

BrewCityBuck
07-31-2008, 12:38 PM
Nearly impossible? They r the ones who put themselves in that situation by asking for a 1st rounder!!!! Teams were interested but TT asked for too much trying to make Favre stay retired.

Like the Dolphins with Jason Taylor, I think the 1st round pick thing was just a ploy, I think eventually Favre will get dealt for less, like Taylor was.

newdude
07-31-2008, 12:43 PM
Like the Dolphins with Jason Taylor, I think the 1st round pick thing was just a ploy, I think eventually Favre will get dealt for less, like Taylor was.

Well looked how that turned out, teams stayed away and now TT & Co. r desperate enough to bribe someone. If they've moved on and didn't want to prolong this situation, they would've dealt him more quickly.

Ryan Diesel
07-31-2008, 12:43 PM
There is an option, you take the best QB of all time back no your F'n team. It's the only option, it's been the only option. Any other option is a bad decision. This is the only one that benefits the Packers.

ryanph30
07-31-2008, 12:45 PM
There is an option, you take the best QB of all time back no your F'n team. It's the only option, it's been the only option. Any other option is a bad decision. This is the only one that benefits the Packers.

If this bribe story is true, there is no way he will come back to the Packers.

Ryan Diesel
07-31-2008, 01:24 PM
Bus Cook said right after Murphy's bribe attempt failed that Brett Favre still wants to be a Packer.

newdude
07-31-2008, 01:48 PM
Brett may dislike the management but he still loves his teammates.

BrewCityBuck
07-31-2008, 02:06 PM

The best QB of all-time? Come on now...We've been through the whole song and dance about if it's better for him to come back or to go with the future, i'm not going there anymore.

Aaron Rodgers is going to be our starting QB this year, it's happening, some people need to get over it and move on.

Ryan Diesel
07-31-2008, 02:15 PM
That's like your opinion man.

BrewCityBuck
07-31-2008, 02:17 PM
You honestly think that Brett Favre is the best QB of all-time?

Ryan Diesel
07-31-2008, 02:30 PM
Yep. Without a doubt, I mean he's not the only one in the discussion. But you can name very few QB's who have had more success than Favre. And I'll say to you that none of those guys could have had the success Favre has had if they had to play in GB all these years. Favre would have put up the numbers in any team and any system. Peyton Manning would not be what he is in the frozen tundra all this time without his two HOF receivers. He also has always had a great line, coaching and never even takes a hit. Montana was the best before Favre in my opinion. He made it look so easy, but he would not have won 4 SB's in GB. Probably not any. He was kind of brittle. Brady is good, but he's also been caught cheating. No way he throws 30 TD's without Randy Moss on his team. So who's better?? Unitas? I never seen him play. Elway?? Favre has like 200 more TD's than him. He won more games than anyone else while playing in the harshest conditions in the NFL. With almost no FA, switched coaches several times. Basically surrounded with no HOF talent to compliment his game. Who from the Favre era is going to the HOF?? Reggie White, and he's on defense, he was in before he even came to GB. Not to mention Favre has the strongest arm I've ever seen, plays for my team, your god damn right I think he's the best QB ever. What have you been watching since 92?? You must just watch sports center, or maybe your one of those people that sits in the other room and talks while the game is on. Well you missed the most amazing QB play I've ever seen. Wether or not you think he's the best, nobody has ever played the QB position the way that guy does. If he still wants to play, nobody has the right to tell him he can't. Especially Ted Thompson. Especially you.

ryanph30
07-31-2008, 02:33 PM
Brett is my favorite player ever, but he is not the best QB of all-time.

Ryan Diesel
07-31-2008, 02:39 PM
Thats my opinion, I mean if you base it just on SB's, then no. But I don't look at it like that. I look deeper. I think Barry Sanders is the best RB ever. That I've ever seen at least.

BrewCityBuck
07-31-2008, 02:50 PM
Yep. Without a doubt, I mean he's not the only one in the discussion. But you can name very few QB's who have had more success than Favre. And I'll say to you that none of those guys could have had the success Favre has had if they had to play in GB all these years. Favre would have put up the numbers in any team and any system. Peyton Manning would not be what he is in the frozen tundra all this time without his two HOF receivers. He also has always had a great line, coaching and never even takes a hit. Montana was the best before Favre in my opinion. He made it look so easy, but he would not have won 4 SB's in GB. Probably not any. He was kind of brittle. Brady is good, but he's also been caught cheating. No way he throws 30 TD's without Randy Moss on his team. So who's better?? Unitas? I never seen him play. Elway?? Favre has like 200 more TD's than him. He won more games than anyone else while playing in the harshest conditions in the NFL. With almost no FA, switched coaches several times. Basically surrounded with no HOF talent to compliment his game. Who from the Favre era is going to the HOF?? Reggie White, and he's on defense, he was in before he even came to GB. Not to mention Favre has the strongest arm I've ever seen, plays for my team, your god damn right I think he's the best QB ever. What have you been watching since 92?? You must just watch sports center, or maybe your one of those people that sits in the other room and talks while the game is on. Well you missed the most amazing QB play I've ever seen. Wether or not you think he's the best, nobody has ever played the QB position the way that guy does. If he still wants to play, nobody has the right to tell him he can't. Especially Ted Thompson. Especially you.

You come off to me in this argument as just an overly biased Brett Favre fan. You didn't even make an argument, you just said, 'Brett Favre is the best' and then made utterly ridiculous comments downgrading other QB's

Anyway, I think Brett Favre is somewhere in the 6-10 area of the best QB's. You say he hasn't had any HOF'ers playing with him? What difference does that make? You don't have to have HOF players to be successfull. He's had plenty of very good WR's and pass catchers over the years. Not to mention some of the best offensive lines in the NFL. You can't use the lack of talent argument to build Brett Favre up because he's had plenty.

ryanph30
07-31-2008, 02:54 PM
Thats my opinion, I mean if you base it just on SB's, then no. But I don't look at it like that. I look deeper. I think Barry Sanders is the best RB ever. That I've ever seen at least.

I also agree that Barry is the best RB ever. I don't completely base my opinion on SBs or stats for that matter, sort of in the middle I guess. Brett is right there in the top 5, but he isn't the best, IMO at least.

hawkeye
07-31-2008, 02:54 PM

Jim Brown was the best RB ever. Regardless of era. Your post on Favre being the best ever was excellent.

hawkeye
07-31-2008, 02:55 PM
You come off to me in this argument as just an overly biased Brett Favre fan. You didn't even make an argument, you just said, 'Brett Favre is the best' and then made utterly ridiculous comments downgrading other QB's

Anyway, I think Brett Favre is somewhere in the 6-10 area of the best QB's. You say he hasn't had any HOF'ers playing with him? What difference does that make? You don't have to have HOF players to be successfull. He's had plenty of very good WR's and pass catchers over the years. Not to mention some of the best offensive lines in the NFL. You can't use the lack of talent argument to build Brett Favre up because he's had plenty.

Always nice to hear from one of Ted's nieces

ryanph30
07-31-2008, 02:56 PM
Jim Brown was the best RB ever. Regardless of era. Your post on Favre being the best ever was excellent.

He is an extremely close second to me.

ryanph30
07-31-2008, 02:57 PM
Always nice to hear from one of Ted's nieces

:laugh2:

Ryan Diesel
07-31-2008, 03:19 PM

Yeah, thats what I hear. Even Barry's Dad said that at his HOF speech lol I never seen him play though, I'm only 28. I've seen some old black and white footage, but it's hard to judge the guys just off highlights. You gotta see em play the game, see how they do on the plays that don't make the highlight reel. I remember Payton a little, his highlight reel might be the best. Earl Cambell only played for a little while, but if you ever get to see a special on him, he had some amazing runs.

bucksbeat
07-31-2008, 05:15 PM

I'm not going to get into if Brett is the best of all-time, I would probably would have to go for Unitas because of the numbers he put up in the era.

However every QB debate is flawed.

As for the lack of talent. Not sure. Favre probably has the least cumulative talent of offensive playmakers around him of any QB that is argued in the "best ever" category.

Joe Montana is regarded by many as the best because of championships when Favre, Marino, Elway blow his stats away.

While Favre is not my #1 it is entirely realistic for someone to rank him there when you look at the package (Stats, championship, durability, longevity, toughness, ability to make teammates better, the weather he played in, etc.)

Ryan Diesel
07-31-2008, 05:22 PM
Yeah, that's all I was saying, there is no right or wrong answer. I was just surprised how many Packer fans are so quick to dismiss him from the discussion. Dude acted like I was out of my mind for saying Favre was the best ever. I mean there's nobody better in my book, but I'm also biased because I've seen about 99.9% of the snaps the guy has taken over the last 16 years. I mean before NFL ticket, it was hard to see Marino, Montana, or Elway play more than 3 or 4 times a year not counting playoffs. But I've never seen anyone play like Favre does and if he still wants to do it a little longer, I'm all for it.

Rtardz
07-31-2008, 05:28 PM
everybody on espn is bashing Packers Brass for this idea. Mark Schlereth said whoever came up with that idea needs to question themselves because it is idiotic.

Ryan Diesel
07-31-2008, 05:34 PM
Even Linda Cohn was blown away. She was like "Who sent him down there and told him to do that??" It just makes it even more obvious that they didn't want him back before he retired. Then they try to tell us he tried to come back in march and they were all about welcoming him back. I don't buy that at all anymore. The guy is a football player, he wants to play. You let him play, you don't try to bribe him with 20 mil, that's just sleazy.

bucksbeat
07-31-2008, 05:35 PM
everybody on espn is bashing Packers Brass for this idea. Mark Schlereth said whoever came up with that idea needs to question themselves because it is idiotic.

There is absolutely no doubt if this is true, people should lose their jobs. And for gods sakes will someone tell Mike McCarthy to stop saying that Brett would be welcomed back? Even K-4 students would point out the obvious flaw in his statement.

servais77
07-31-2008, 06:01 PM
Any discussion of top quarterbacks of all time has to include Favre. Nuff said.

Greenngld
07-31-2008, 06:10 PM
He also says Favre has chartered a flight to Green Bay, trade market is dead at this time, and Favre may be restricted to individual drills.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d809a2cd1

servais77
07-31-2008, 06:30 PM
He says the exact figures were false but did say some sort of "packages" were offered.

PackAttack09
07-31-2008, 08:29 PM
i would send brett a package with vagisil in it...

BrewCityBuck
07-31-2008, 09:15 PM
I don't think it matters to people what the figure is, $1 million or $40 million, just the fact that a retirement package was offered to one of our greatest players. Sometimes we just assume everything we read is true just because it's on ESPN or SI.com.

The same thing happened with the Yi Jianlian getting guarenteed minutes last year, turns out that whole thing was not accurate.

iam brett favre
07-31-2008, 11:59 PM
Brett Favre, convinced that Green Bay will never permit him to compete to be its starting quarterback and recognizing its unwillingness to ship him to an NFC North rival, is actively considering an offer from the Packers that would provide the quarterback a paid lifetime role with the franchise that would not involve playing.

"There isn't a perfect solution to this, but [Packers president] Mark Murphy is at least trying," Favre told ESPN's Ed Werder via text message on Thursday night. "We know what they want and where I stand. His solution, although awkward and unsettling for most, may be the best in the end.''

Favre could be forced to report to camp unless the Packers reach agreement with him on a non-playing role before commissioner Roger Goodell reinstates him. He has at least until Friday to resolve this standoff after Goodell opted earlier on Thursday to delay granting the quarterback his reinstatement one day.

"Once he's reinstated, Brett's going in, and once that happens Packerland becomes Disneyland -- although that's not what Brett wants for his teammates,'' Favre's agent, James "Bus" Cook, told ESPN. "He wants them to be successful and do well. But that's what happens if this thing doesn't get resolved, and he decides to report."

While Favre had a lengthy discussion with Goodell on Thursday, a source close to the quarterback told ESPN there was no dialogue with the Packers. The New York Jets and Tampa Bay Buccaneers are the only teams that have made direct inquiries about trading for Favre.

Favre had reserved a charter plane to fly him to Green Bay Thursday so he could report if he had been reinstated by Goodell. When that did not occur, Favre postponed the trip to remain in Hattiesburg, Miss., while awaiting Goodell's approval.

"He's ready to go report, but you have to understand he's been told the job is not open to competition,'' Cook said. "He's been told, 'If you come up here, it's not going to be like it was. You are going to be holding clipboard. You're going to be the backup.' Given those things, would he rather decide to just stay at home and be affiliated with a team he loves with his whole heart and soul rather than go play someplace they tell him to go?''

Favre's first choice is to play for the Packers, a team for which he has started an NFL record 275 consecutive games. Once the Packers refused to accomodate him, Favre informed the team he wanted to play for another team in the division -- believed to be the Minnesota Vikings -- because he is familiar with Brad Childress' coaching staff and would be able to play against opponents he is comfortable competing against.

"My intentions have been to play, and with Green Bay," Favre told Werder. "They say no, so I still want to play in this division for obvious reasons, which I made clear to management. If they won't let me play in Green Bay, let me play against you. That's where I am.''

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported Thursday that Packers officials have had internal discussions about trading Favre to the Minnesota Vikings or Chicago Bears as a "last resort" to resolve the smoldering controversy.

But Packers general manager Ted Thompson said earlier this week that he would not consider trading Favre to one of Green Bay's NFC North division rivals. Then on Wednesday night, multiple reports surfaced that the team had offered to pay Favre up to $20 million to stay retired.

Cook described Favre as mystified by the team's stance.

"It's painfully clear the Packers do not want Brett back, but they will take him back once they have no choice,'' Cook said. "If the commissioner reinstates him, they have to take him back but they've said, 'Brett your job is to sit on this bench.' And that's where we are unless we make other arrangements that Brett would be involved with the Packers from now on but not as a player."

-ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3514071)

Maybe the best solution?

TooL D/R/T
08-01-2008, 12:16 AM
That would break my heart. Favre is a giant hero of mine, and I would be beyond sad to see him not be able to play again. And furthermore get "bribed" to stay out of the league.

The packers organization has shown it's true colors througout this whole process, and I must say that I hope they have a horrible year.

For the record I do reailze that a good portion of the fault here is on Favre, but I just think he's done enough throughout his entire career to deserve a release, or a chance to compete for the job.

newdude
08-01-2008, 12:32 AM
No, I really hope this isn't true, ugh.

hughest4
08-01-2008, 12:45 AM
Man, i wish i could have been on to comment on this whole situation earlier but i couldn't(internet connection sucks). I honestly couldn't believe what i was seeing when i saw this on ESPN and the Packers management is making me sick. They are basically bribing Brett Favre...ridiculous

#4=GOAT
08-01-2008, 12:53 AM
Ive been a packer fan since 2000 and this makes me so damn angry im thinkn bout takin a year off as a fan...anyone wanna jump on the charger bandwagon with me? :confused:

OnWisconsin2007
08-01-2008, 12:59 AM
Ive been a packer fan since 2000 and this makes me so damn angry im thinkn bout takin a year off as a fan...anyone wanna jump on the charger bandwagon with me? :confused:

Um.................no:down:

OnWisconsin2007
08-01-2008, 01:00 AM
Man, i wish i could have been on to comment on this whole situation earlier but i couldn't(internet connection sucks). I honestly couldn't believe what i was seeing when i saw this on ESPN and the Packers management is making me sick. They are basically bribing Brett Favre...ridiculous

Kill me now...right???:(

#4=GOAT
08-01-2008, 01:23 AM
man lets just hope that the comish reinstates brett b4 he can make the decision

XJW18
08-01-2008, 01:33 AM
Brett said "if i dont get to play WITH you,
then i want to play AGAINST you"

Like i said in another forum, if he does go to the Lions/Bears i wanna see our players lay nuts on him!
not hurt him, but hit him allot!!

TooL D/R/T
08-01-2008, 03:21 AM

I hate rivers way too much. How about we jump on the Cleveland Bronws bandwagon together?:o

XJW18
08-01-2008, 03:42 AM

I hate rivers way too much. How about we jump on the Cleveland Bronws bandwagon together?:o

These guys arnt real Packer Fans!!
:moon:

SamG187
08-01-2008, 04:01 AM
whats this about jumping on the chargers and browns bandwagon? You two are a disgrace for even thinking that, if I was a moderator from here on out you two would get every one of your posts deleted out of the Packers threads

TooL D/R/T
08-01-2008, 04:02 AM
These guys arnt real Packer Fans!!
:moon:

I'm a Brett Favre above anything else. I go where he goes.

TooL D/R/T
08-01-2008, 04:06 AM
whats this about jumping on the chargers and browns bandwagon? You two are a disgrace for even thinking that, if I was a moderator from here on out you two would get every one of your posts deleted out of the Packers threads

Whoa..take it down a notch man. No one said anything hurtful or hateful, about anyone. In fact if you take a gander at my posts (I only have about 7) they've all been very respectful of the members of this board.

Sites like this are for disscussing, that's all anyone is doing.

I stated that I am Brett Favre fan before anything else, but if I felt as though the Packers had handled any part of this properly I would still have a spot for them.

I just don't think trying to buy-off the main reason yer franchise is at where it's at is right.

Let the man play somewhere else.

SamG187
08-01-2008, 04:17 AM
Whoa..take it down a notch man. No one said anything hurtful or hateful, about anyone. In fact if you take a gander at my posts (I only have about 7) they've all been very respectful of the members of this board.

Sites like this are for disscussing, that's all anyone is doing.

I stated that I am Brett Favre fan before anything else, but if I felt as though the Packers had handled any part of this properly I would still have a spot for them.

I just don't think trying to buy-off the main reason yer franchise is at where it's at is right.

Let the man play somewhere else.

Dont get me wrong I like Favre just as much as any body and would want him back on our team, but if he doesnt come back im still from Wisconsin and still a Packers fan, Im not just gonna be a chargers fan or somethin thats BS

TooL D/R/T
08-01-2008, 04:21 AM
Dont get me wrong I like Favre just as much as any body and would want him back on our team, but if he doesnt come back im still from Wisconsin and still a Packers fan, Im not just gonna be a chargers fan or somethin thats BS

I'm from around Chicago, and the reason I root on the packers is Favre. Don't get me wrong I completely understand where yer coming from being from Wisconsin, and I, myself would probably still root on the packers, but I just don't feel the "problem" was handled properly at all.

I just wish they'd cut him and let him sign with the Vikings, if for nothing else other then that would just be some damn entertaining football.

rwp86
08-01-2008, 06:48 AM
This is the most rediculous thing in the world, never in a million years would you pay 20 million dollars to pay a HOF AWAY from your team, He had one of his best years ever last year, and they would actually pay him that amount not play!? they must really not want him back

hawkeye
08-01-2008, 08:41 AM
i would send brett a package with vagisil in it...

I will not attack you personally for this comment, but I do have a couple questions for you. What are your expectations of Rodgers this year? What do you think the record will be with him under center? And what do you think will happen if he doesn't win 9-10 games?

hawkeye
08-01-2008, 08:51 AM

Well, I've been a I've seen a lot of good Packer teams and a lot of horrible teams. I've seen my boyhood hero in Bart Starr turn into a lousy coach with crap players. I've seen a lot and bleed Green and Gold. However, Ted Thompson and his ego have run amok. Yes Brett is playing the diva, but he is the face of the franchise and it's greatest player of all time. If he wants to play, he should be at the very least able to compete for the job. Once reinstated he is a member of this team. He has been totally disrespected - inparticularly the last couple weeks. Should Favre play elsewhere, I will have a new favorite team for the first time in 41 years - that is until Ted Thompson is fired or shot. This goes way beyond being a Favre fan. We have a chance to win the whole thing with #4 THIS YEAR OR NEXT if he were to give a 2 year commitment. With Rodgers, this team will be lucky to get a playoff birth. That's not Rodger's fault. He's a kid and far from capable in taking this team all the way. It's about experience, plain and simple. Sorry if some of you kids can't see this. Ted Thompson must go.

wwfd1220
08-01-2008, 10:17 AM
^^ agree totally ^^^ although i could not follow favre. i am a 3rd generation season ticketholder. so, it would be impossible for me to alienate the packers. i have an extreme lack of respect for the way the organization has handled this situation. furthermore, i think that not only tt should be fired. but mark murphy should be let go as well. bring ron wolf in as president of operations. and let him pick HIS general manager. i strongly feel that m.m. wants favre in green bay. but his hands are tied because of tt am murphy. mccarthy does not want a.r. running his offense. he made that statement in the draft when he toof a. smith well over a. rodgers

BrewCityBuck
08-01-2008, 10:28 AM
mccarthy does not want a.r. running his offense. he made that statement in the draft when he toof a. smith well over a. rodgers

Thats just speculation on your part, it's not fact.

wwfd1220
08-01-2008, 11:21 AM
Thats just speculation on your part, it's not fact.

ummm i believe at that draft he was asked why he drafted smith over rodgers. i may be wrong but i am sure he answered that question. i will see if i can dig it up. but you are right, he was so in love with rodgers he drafted smith in front of him :rolleyes: obviously he thought smiths mechanics were better at that time

BrewCityBuck
08-01-2008, 11:34 AM
ummm i believe at that draft he was asked why he drafted smith over rodgers. i may be wrong but i am sure he answered that question. i will see if i can dig it up. but you are right, he was so in love with rodgers he drafted smith in front of him :rolleyes: obviously he thought smiths mechanics were better at that time

Mike McCarthy was the 49ers offensive coordinator, he wasn't in charge or the decision maker of who the 49ers drafted that year.

newdude
08-01-2008, 02:10 PM
Mike McCarthy was the 49ers offensive coordinator, he wasn't in charge or the decision maker of who the 49ers drafted that year.

Well, actually he was a major influence in that pick, bcuz Mike Nolan tries not to get involve in the offense, he rathers concentrate on defense.

BrewCityBuck
08-01-2008, 02:27 PM
Well, actually he was a major influence in that pick, bcuz Mike Nolan tries not to get involve in the offense, he rathers concentrate on defense.

Regardless, saying that Mike McCarthy decided between Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers and made the pick is completely inaccurate. We have no idea who had what opinion in that draft war room or how much Mike Nolan was involved. Considering it was Mike Nolans job to keep, i'm sure he was involved deeply in every selection, i'm sure he didn't let Mike McCarthy make the big decisions. Mike McCarthy definitely had a voice in drafting, but thats all we do know.

I don't even see what it matters now. That selection was years ago. Just because the 49ers picked Smith over Rodgers three years ago doesn't make much of a difference now. It was the draft, pretty much a crapshoot.

newdude
08-01-2008, 02:44 PM
Regardless, saying that Mike McCarthy decided between Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers and made the pick is completely inaccurate. We have no idea who had what opinion in that draft war room or how much Mike Nolan was involved. Considering it was Mike Nolans job to keep, i'm sure he was involved deeply in every selection, i'm sure he didn't let Mike McCarthy make the big decisions. Mike McCarthy definitely had a voice in drafting, but thats all we do know.

I don't even see what it matters now. That selection was years ago. Just because the 49ers picked Smith over Rodgers three years ago doesn't make much of a difference now. It was the draft, pretty much a crapshoot.

Why r u downplayin the draft now? Weren't u high and praiseful on it with our GM?

And btw, Nolan was basically the GM when they drafted Smith, and he knows little about the offense, hence that's why MM basically handpicked Smith:rolleyes:

twelvePack
08-01-2008, 02:49 PM
McCarthy openly said he passed on Rodgers in San Francisco. He said there was a lot of people involved in the decision too, though, and it was close. Rodgers is going to crumble this year anyway.

BrewCityBuck
08-01-2008, 02:51 PM
And btw, Nolan was basically the GM when they drafted Smith, and he knows little about the offense, hence that's why MM basically handpicked Smith:rolleyes:

Mike Nolan knows little about the offense? What the hell does that mean? I would like to think the head coach knows a little about the offense he and his coordinator were running the next year, lord. Sure Mike Nolan was a more defensive minded coach, but to say he would let his offensive coordinator hand pick players is ridiculous. Mike Nolan listened to his scouting team, and knew everything about the teams offense and made the pick.

For you to say Mike McCarthy, the teams offensive coordinator made the #1 selection in the draft is utterly ridiculous. You have no idea what went on in that war room or how much influence Mike McCarthy had. To think you do, just shows arrogance in my opinion.

twelvePack
08-01-2008, 02:54 PM
Mike Nolan knows little about the offense? What the hell does that mean? I would like to think the head coach knows a little about the offense he and his coordinator were running the next year, lord. Sure Mike Nolan was a more defensive minded coach, but to say he would let his offensive coordinator hand pick players is ridiculous. Mike Nolan listened to his scouting team, and knew everything about the teams offense and made the pick.

For you to say Mike McCarthy, the teams offensive coordinator made the #1 selection in the draft is utterly ridiculous. You have no idea what went on in that war room or how much influence Mike McCarthy had. To think you do, just shows arrogance in my opinion.

Yeah, McCarthy never made the pick, but HE SAID HE WAS IN FAVOR OF SMITH. It is a fact, that McCarthy was for Smith, and he will tell you too. They asked him all this stuff when he got to Green Bay, pay attention.

hawkeye
08-01-2008, 03:00 PM
Yeah, McCarthy never made the pick, but HE SAID HE WAS IN FAVOR OF SMITH. It is a fact, that McCarthy was for Smith, and he will tell you too. They asked him all this stuff when he got to Green Bay, pay attention.

Kinda hard to pay attention with your mouth planted firmly on Ted's bacon-ring.

newdude
08-01-2008, 03:02 PM

But I thought u said the draft was a crapshoot? But Ok, poor wording on my part. But from interviews I've seen in the past, both of Nolan and MM, MM did have a major influence in the pick. And what I said about Nolan knowing little bout the offense, is that he really try not to get involve with it giving his O-coord. more "power" than a normal o-coord. would get in a diff team. And again, Nolan really is not a offensive specialist so he has to take advice of his O-coord. more seriously.

BrewCityBuck
08-01-2008, 03:04 PM

Regardless, Mike McCarthy still didn't make the selection. Thats my main point.

And I still don't see what difference it makes.

twelvePack
08-01-2008, 03:04 PM

Hahahaaa, I can't believe TT is still running things. I have never liked owners like Jerry Jones, but this is one time when I wish we had one, because TT would already have had his *** shitcanned.

wwfd1220
08-01-2008, 03:48 PM

:laugh::laugh::cheers: sometimes hawkeye, you just have to let kids make mistakes. sooner or later they will learn

servais77
08-01-2008, 05:24 PM
Well with Goodell not reinstating Favre again I think it looks like our boy may be taking the money. I have to say it will be really hard to defend that action.

On a side note Rodgers looked rough in practice today.

wwfd1220
08-01-2008, 06:59 PM
Well with Goodell not reinstating Favre again I think it looks like our boy may be taking the money. I have to say it will be really hard to defend that action.

something we will probably hear alot more of :cry:

hughest4
08-01-2008, 09:32 PM

Defend what action? Favre taking the money from the Packers management? I'll admit that it would be weird to see him take a "bribe" but at the same time i can understand why he would do it. Maybe all of this trade talk was just a bluff by Favre so they let him be the starter. If he isnt going to start for us and doesn't want to play for anyone else why not take the money

Ryan Diesel
08-01-2008, 11:03 PM
As much as I want to see him play, I can't blame anyone for taking 25 mil. I mean I know he's got a lot of money, but 25 mil. Thats enough to do something great and cure a disease or feed a 3rd world country and still have enough to be selfish and buy yourself an island in the Pacific somewhere. I think he should take the money, along with all the money he's got from playing and endorsements, and become the Packers majority stock holder. Then he can fire TT, hire Wolf, and play as long as he's still good.

ryanph30
08-01-2008, 11:24 PM
As much as I want to see him play, I can't blame anyone for taking 25 mil. I mean I know he's got a lot of money, but 25 mil. Thats enough to do something great and cure a disease or feed a 3rd world country and still have enough to be selfish and buy yourself an island in the Pacific somewhere. I think he should take the money, along with all the money he's got from playing and endorsements, and become the Packers majority stock holder. Then he can fire TT, hire Wolf, and play as long as he's still good.

Come on now. :rolleyes:

Asoriano12
08-02-2008, 01:20 AM
shouldve traded him 4 manny straight up :rolleyes:

newdude
08-02-2008, 01:32 AM
shouldve traded him 4 manny straight up :rolleyes:

manny? :confused:

BrewCityBuck
08-02-2008, 02:27 AM
manny? :confused:

Recently Manny Ramirez held up a sign, 'trade me for Brett Favre straight up', as a joke, thats what he means.

meandering
08-02-2008, 02:51 AM
Defend what action? Favre taking the money from the Packers management? I'll admit that it would be weird to see him take a "bribe" but at the same time i can understand why he would do it. Maybe all of this trade talk was just a bluff by Favre so they let him be the starter. If he isnt going to start for us and doesn't want to play for anyone else why not take the money

So, in your world the Miami Dolphins "bribed Dan Marino?
The Denver Broncos "bribed" John Elway?

This was released by favre's agent dude! Its not a bribe. Its not hush money.

Its called a Personal Service Agreement. Its not unusual, and has been done for superstars before.

Before you think I am totally against you, I do believe Green Bay will probably try to put some"umppphhh" it and probably put some clauses in it.......so it could be seen in that light. Why can't we see it as a hell of a retirement package? After all did he not retire?

We have a good team, why is it so down in here year after year.

It gets tiring fighting the good fight......which is why I lose my cool at times.

BrewCityBuck
08-02-2008, 01:37 PM
We have a good team, why is it so down in here year after year.

It gets tiring fighting the good fight......which is why I lose my cool at times.

You just have to realize that your never going to please most of the people that post here. Nothings ever good enough for them. They think they know everything and attack anyone that supports Ted Thompson, because they know everything and Ted Thompson makes mistakes, so therefore your an idiot, as is Thompson.

Instead of focusing on the 90% of good things, they focus on the negative 10%, etc, etc.

Just ignore it, don't lose your cool. ;)