PDA

View Full Version : Will the warriors make the playoffs?

roggydog
07-30-2008, 11:00 PM
will they??? lots of people consider them out of next years playoffs but i think they have a strong chance

cmellofan15
07-30-2008, 11:03 PM
no i have 4 teams that are fighting for the 7/8 seed who are better

Mavericks (6/7/8)
Clippers(8)
Nuggets (7/8)
Blazers (6/7/8)

Kyben36
07-30-2008, 11:05 PM
well, who do they have left to bring them there. Not much. That PG that made some easy shots for Biedrins and Harington is gone. I dont see you making the playoffs.

Spurred1
07-30-2008, 11:08 PM
It is highly unlikely.

lakers4sho
07-30-2008, 11:37 PM
If Monta Ellis can be effective as their main ballhandler, they might have a slim chance to sneak into eighth spot.

t-mac1nukka
07-30-2008, 11:54 PM
they couldnt make the playoffs with their studly pg...what makes you think they can make it without him?!

DenButsu
07-31-2008, 12:12 AM
I think they have a shot at it, but I think it's going to be an uphill struggle. Baron, for his faults and his being prone to injury, was the heart and soul of that team. They're going to have to go through an identity-finding process now. Who is their leader? Ellis? Out of Baron's shadow and with that new huge contract he landed, there's going to be a tremendous amount of pressure on him. And as he slides over to pg to accomodate Maggette, he's going to be facing additional challenges. Last season when he was at the point his shooting was worse (though still very good), his assists did not increase significantly but he made a LOT more turnovers. Being the primary ball handler is going to be a whole new world for him and I imagine it's going to reduce his effectiveness, at least in the short term. I think there will be a lot of pressure on Turiaf, too, to live up to his (imho very overpaid) contract.

Some of these moves remind me of Nuggets moves from about 3-4 years ago, when guys like Nene and Reggie Evans were landing big contracts that (in Nene's case) were based on potential rather than proof and (in Evans' case) were just too much money for what he could deliver. At the very least, Mullin is taking big risks that could pay off but have equal if not greater chances of falling short of expectations.

I think it's kind of foolish for us to make these predictions before, say, December 1st (after we've had a month to watch the teams in action) anyways, but right now I'm leaning towards probably not, but you never know, in the case of GSW.

lakers4sho
07-31-2008, 12:17 AM
they couldnt make the playoffs with their studly pg...what makes you think they can make it without him?!

If they won that game against Denver towards the end of the season they would've made the playoffs.

goku
07-31-2008, 12:21 AM
sorry but no

bball1217
07-31-2008, 12:52 AM
I think they have a shot at it, but I think it's going to be an uphill struggle. Baron, for his faults and his being prone to injury, was the heart and soul of that team. They're going to have to go through an identity-finding process now. Who is their leader? Ellis? Out of Baron's shadow and with that new huge contract he landed, there's going to be a tremendous amount of pressure on him. And as he slides over to pg to accomodate Maggette, he's going to be facing additional challenges. Last season when he was at the point his shooting was worse (though still very good), his assists did not increase significantly but he made a LOT more turnovers. Being the primary ball handler is going to be a whole new world for him and I imagine it's going to reduce his effectiveness, at least in the short term. I think there will be a lot of pressure on Turiaf, too, to live up to his (imho very overpaid) contract.

Some of these moves remind me of Nuggets moves from about 3-4 years ago, when guys like Nene and Reggie Evans were landing big contracts that (in Nene's case) were based on potential rather than proof and (in Evans' case) were just too much money for what he could deliver. At the very least, Mullin is taking big risks that could pay off but have equal if not greater chances of falling short of expectations.

I think it's kind of foolish for us to make these predictions before, say, December 1st (after we've had a month to watch the teams in action) anyways, but right now I'm leaning towards probably not, but you never know, in the case of GSW.

Well said, I agree.

#1Mavericksfan
07-31-2008, 12:54 AM
no unless they get a true PG

GS_DOUBLE_U's
07-31-2008, 01:02 AM
no i have 4 teams that are fighting for the 7/8 seed who are better

Mavericks (6/7/8)
Clippers(8)
Nuggets (7/8)
Blazers (6/7/8)

YEA SO IM A DUBS FAN. but I will be realistic the west is packed with talent yet why clippers? they lost brand meggette they were garbage last year. it took baron wat 2nahalf season to lead the warriors to playoff land n out the gutter. not gonna happen for clips thats crazy.

Portland yea there young but so is GS! they got there first pick overall back but does not a playoff team make u mean to tell me that Portland didnt make the playoffs last year n that a rookie fine the first pick can go to the playoffs now? crazy they need to gel n there are always growing pains no matter how good u are!

I'll give u Dallas but there getting old n we have there number sure we don't got boom deez! but nelly puts the pieces in place plus Dallas has a new coach do u really think baaaam!! straight to playoffs?- crazy!

fine the WARRIORS are still young n have alot to prove with a uphill battle to climb in the WEST but if anything without baron takes monta off a leash so to speak he is the leader of the futre n we are a deeper team because the absents of Davis so if we ain't making the playoffs this year we are definetly a strong sleeper with something to prove n nothing to loose!

go DUBS!!!

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-31-2008, 01:09 AM
I really don't think they will they didn't get much better. Now if they land a Josh Smith who fits perfect into Don Nelson's system then you might see them in the playoffs.

*Superman*
07-31-2008, 01:15 AM
Maybe 8, but they have a better chance for sure if they get Josh Smith.

Crunchy12489
07-31-2008, 01:24 AM

Hell no. Even with Josh Smith I still think this team would almost be in the same situation.

Josh Smith isn't Kobe/AI/Wade/LeBron/etc... He doesn't change the teams shape THAT drastically... After all his offensive game isn't that impressive.

lakers4sho
07-31-2008, 01:25 AM

Not too sure about that. GSW has to give up Al Harrington. If Nellie plans to play Josh Smith at the 4, I'm not quite if he's able to match up with the Duncan's and the Boozer's and the Stoudemire's of the West.

*Superman*
07-31-2008, 01:40 AM
Not too sure about that. GSW has to give up Al Harrington. If Nellie plans to play Josh Smith at the 4, I'm not quite if he's able to match up with the Duncan's and the Boozer's and the Stoudemire's of the West.

Hell no. Even with Josh Smith I still think this team would almost be in the same situation.

Josh Smith isn't Kobe/AI/Wade/LeBron/etc... He doesn't change the teams shape THAT drastically... After all his offensive game isn't that impressive.

Yeah i can understand that, i just said that they have a better shot at making the playoffs.

Crunchy12489
07-31-2008, 01:45 AM
Yeah i can understand that, i just said that they have a better shot at making the playoffs.

Oh my fault man.

I misread what you posted.

I thought you said they would be in the playoffs for sure, but you said they'd have a better chance in the playoffs for sure.

My apologies...

But Marco Belinelli is referred to as an Italian Kobe... I mean the guy can really freakin play and that jumpshot of his is lethal...

I'd hate to give a guy like that away for an older player... But Josh Smith hustles his *** off... His offensive game might not be that impressive, but on the other side of the floor it's the opposite..

I agree with you.. They would have a better chance...

Golden State's problem is too many smaller players and no defense...

BigEric
07-31-2008, 01:55 AM

Amen, unless you've got multiple all stars on your team, you need a steady PG that can run the show.

ridere46
07-31-2008, 02:55 AM
they have a shot. though it may be slim. they still have a chance. denver definitely isn't since camby left and the clippers...please. so i say it's a toss-up btween portland and golden state. the dubs made some good off-season moves after they loss bd. he was a huge loss but they made gains in other aspects by signing maggs and turiaf. randolph is a stud and ellis, out of bd's shadow is ready to break out. personally i don't think they are done making moves either...we'll just have to see.