PDA

View Full Version : Fernando Rodney

mark1125
07-30-2008, 10:41 PM
Since Jones is out as closer, and an almost as equally ineffective Fernando Rodney is in, I figured it's time to get this going.

Not sure about you, but when the Tigers went ahead 12-11, I had a bad feeling. Rodney comes in and looked sharp against Choo. Then Fernando went back to being Fernando.

Is Zumaya going to get a shot anytime?

mkool65
07-31-2008, 12:16 AM
Both of hose guys pitch with way too much emotion to be closers. I have been saying this for a while. Todd Jones keeps his cool which is why even with the game on the line and bases loaded he almost always makes the pitch we need. It was a mistake to bench him when we have nobody who is ready to take the role right now. Yeah, maybe every game he pitches in is close but he was 20/23 on the year. Not too bad, not great but certainly not horrible.

Lionsforlife
07-31-2008, 01:14 AM
Jones problem has been allowing too many baserunners, every time. It has finally caught up with him. I have never liked Rodney, period and don't want to see him as closer. But I do think it's funny ESPN keeps saying he only has 1 career save. It would be nice to give Zumaya his shot, but I think that they feel he is still to immature for the role.

Looks like it's Farnsworth's job to lose for now. Hopefully it works out. But hopefully the Rodney experiment is done after tonight's blown save.

smarkow
07-31-2008, 07:19 AM
It does look like its Farnsworth's job now. After last night with Jones giving up a dinger after we had closed the lead to one run, and then Rodney giving up the homerun after we had finally taken the lead, it makes sense. I said it in another thread, but maybe DD made a good move in picking up Fransworth. Time will tell. If he's effective, then we're going to all be happy. If he sucks, then we're going to continue to ***** and moan. With as disappointed as I am, after a day of thinking about it, its not the worst trade in the world. i'm still not happy, but we filled a major need for our team. Inge is more than capable to play catcher and hopefully, he can get a hit here and there out of the 9th spot

hoog
07-31-2008, 11:40 AM
OUT! I want Rodney out! Never been a fan and am becoming less and less tolerable of him. He needs to be relegated to no more than a 7th inning guy. I'd like to see Zumaya finally get his chance at closer. I think he's better when the games on the line and he has the mentality of a closer. Then if he's at clsoer you have Farnsworth to set up and I'd bring Cruceta up (he's doing excellent lately in Toledo) and let him do some set up also.

IndiansFan337
07-31-2008, 12:05 PM
He let us back in it last night, but not surprisingly, our bullpen couldn't hold you guys down for long.

They need to just make Zumaya the closer and get it over with.

JackB
07-31-2008, 05:38 PM
They will have the same results with Zumaya .He is no where near ready to be a closer. The 2009 closer for the Tigers isn't currently with the team. I think Farnsworth will get the next chance and run with it. But being a FA won't want to stay in Detroit and it will be back to square one.
I tried saying Rodney wasn't closer material but got crapped on. Some said I was bashing the team. Being honest isn't bashing. I tried to keep the piece and be a little more optimistic by adding I HOPE he can turn things around. Well back to back games and he has proven right. Sorry . I'm not buying into anymore talk of him as the closer.

Bondomania
07-31-2008, 08:04 PM
farnsworth likes detroit, he just wanted to test the market the first time he was here because he wanted the going rate, and the tigers didn't step up and make an offer close to what the yankees offered...

Although Rodney blew the game yesterday, in his defense it wasn't a bad pitch.. Kelly Shoppach was just on a different planet last night.. not one of our pitchers could shut him down.. missed outside for ball one, then next pitch came inside and down, shoppach did a nice job of pulling in his hands and turning on it.. now that being said.. Rodney hasn't done the best job since being given this new job, and i do agree that the closer may not be on the current roster.. we may have to make a trade for one.. or Arizona's closer might be a cheap alternative, Brandon Lyon i think his name is.. he has been decent, but outside of that there isn't much on the FA market..

JackB
07-31-2008, 10:25 PM
Lyon has done a very nice job with the D backs. I think he has blown 3 of 26 chances. They just also picked up Jon Rauch. Hes a huge guy about 6' 11". He was called the right handed Randy Johnson when he was a top prospect. He has closed this year and some talk he might press Lyon for the job. I believe Lyon is 2-2 in chances since Rauch has arrived.
I hear what you are saying about Rodney. I did not see the game. But closers are expected to do their job.Shut the door. The others couldn't get Shoppach out. He should have. Especially after what happened the night before.He simply isn't the answer. Maybe with the Seattle closer situation still unsettled we can get either Morrow or Putz in the off season. Until then we just have to hope somebody steps up and takes charge. Lots of time left but we need to get on a row .

JackB
08-03-2008, 06:17 PM
Ok . So now what do we do? Rodney has blown 3 straight chances. Farnsworth was just as bad. Although he had been pitching pretty well MOST of the season. I think its time to take the closer title from Rodney and see if Farnsworth can get it done. At least until Zumaya is ready which looks like it could be a while. We really have nothing to lose at this point. I would like to think Zumaya will be healthy soon and Farnsworth can throw strikes.
And yes for the record. MOST major leaguers CAN hit a 95-100 mph fast ball. A straight fastabll down the middle. But one with some movement and location if MUCH harder for them to catch up to. I beleive I said this in another thread.
Is John Hiller still in the Detroit area?
I'll be back . I'm going to get my pace amker checked and get a lube job on my wheel chair.

Bondomania
08-04-2008, 10:32 AM
yea, i agree with you jack about the fastball stuff.. much harder to center the ball when it has that late life and get barrel on the bat...

Lyon is a FA after the season, so he wouldn't cost us prospects..

Good luck getting Morrow from seattle, haha, dude is sick... i wouldn't mind though getting Putz, a local product that seems to just be having an off year.. however, he would cost us prospects.. which i am not totally opposed to, and in the offseason he could probably be attained with fewer prospects than at the deadline.. i would make a serious push for him, if the cost is to high, then screw it, we can just make a push for Lyon

Bondomania
08-04-2008, 10:32 AM
woops... i meant barrel on the ball

jphenix2002
08-04-2008, 06:59 PM
I can't stand Rodney either. he is terrible when it counts. It's too bad the Tigers insist on keeping him and deadwood like renteria. to me it's mind-boggling.

I was willing to give the guy another chance when i learned he is going to incorporate his slider back into his arsenal, but he is in no way a closer, or lights out like some guy was trying to say in another post i commented on how bad rodney is. rodney is a loser, plain and simple.

Sheffies Chef
08-05-2008, 04:29 PM
don't hold back your true feeling jphenix.

mark1125
08-07-2008, 07:09 PM
I can't stand Rodney either. he is terrible when it counts. It's too bad the Tigers insist on keeping him and deadwood like renteria. to me it's mind-boggling.

I was willing to give the guy another chance when i learned he is going to incorporate his slider back into his arsenal, but he is in no way a closer, or lights out like some guy was trying to say in another post i commented on how bad rodney is. rodney is a loser, plain and simple.

I still never understood why he was ever considered closer material.