PDA

View Full Version : Hate but Respect Manny

PapelbonLester
07-30-2008, 09:29 PM
you got to respect him for 1 thing and 1 thing only. TEARING IT UP at the plate while he was on this team. He also gave us manny things to laugh at over the years. if he is indeed traded as much **** as he put us through he also helped us enjoy 2 w/s. just remember those exciting moments. all i have to say about manny is i LOVED HIM for sooooooooo long but over the years his b/s got on my nerves too. but i will always respect him for his bat and hope he isnt booed only respected

americaspasttim
07-30-2008, 09:30 PM
you got to respect him for 1 thing and 1 thing only. TEARING IT UP at the plate while he was on this team. He also gave us manny things to laugh at over the years. if he is indeed traded as much **** as he put us through he also helped us enjoy 2 w/s. just remember those exciting moments. all i have to say about manny is i LOVED HIM for sooooooooo long but over the years his b/s got on my nerves too. but i will always respect him for his bat and hope he isnt booed only respected

Pun intended?

nyyfan4life
07-30-2008, 09:48 PM
There is one rule about respect. You gotta give it to get it. And with how he has acted throughout this year and his tenture in Boston in general I don't see how he deserves respect. He disrespected the entire franchise by saying "Red Sox don't deserve me." Thats really low.

yaowowrocket11
07-30-2008, 09:50 PM
Manny did lead us to 2 World Series rings, but I did lose 99% of my respect towards him after his actions and words. Like nyyfan4life said, when I read what he said, I totally lost all my love for Manny, and yes, I was a huge fan of his for a while.

BostonFan 53
07-30-2008, 09:50 PM
There is one rule about respect. You gotta give it to get it. And with how he has acted throughout this year and his tenture in Boston in general I don't see how he deserves respect. He disrespected the entire franchise by saying "Red Sox don't deserve me." Thats really low.

As much as I respect him as a player. There is no way I can bring myself to respect him as a person.

americaspasttim
07-30-2008, 09:52 PM

Well it depends, respect for his abilities as a hitter or respect for his qualities as a person? The former I have tremendous respect for, but the latter is lacking...

BeAn 5 ToWnE
07-30-2008, 09:56 PM
I respect his hitting abilities. Although, his antics just drive me crazy...

Petertherock
07-30-2008, 10:14 PM
What can we do with Manny? Most likely he is not going to be traded. Most likely no one wants him. Maybe we can strike a deal with him to go on the DL for the rest of the year so we can call someone up and then he can go where he wants. Let's face it, a single A player could do better than Manny right now.

Brooke
07-30-2008, 10:22 PM
any respect I had for him was gone in the past few months. I have always been a fan of Manny but he went way to far for me to respect him now. His recent comments from earlier sealed it for me

TDbank24
07-30-2008, 11:53 PM
Manny will get booed out of Fenway the next time he shows up. Winning is great and i thank him for that but the minute you turn your back on the fans and start acting the way he has as if he was above the fans and management is when you lose all respect

cocossox
07-31-2008, 12:12 AM
i dont respect him at all hes doggin' it letting his teamates down hard with his recent comenet towards the redsox imo hes very lucky hes played with the team this long i bet no other team in mlb would put up with his bull **** this long when he learns how to be a man the i might think about respecting him i hate him ty Manny!!!!!!!!!!1:mad:

sboyajian
07-31-2008, 12:26 AM
I respect his numbers.. I respect his career.. I respect that he is a future HOF.

I don't respect his work ethic. I don't respect his attitude. I certainly don't respect the way he acts when he doesn't get his way.

Goodbye Manny. (nothing more.. you don't "deserve" it)

cocossox
07-31-2008, 01:07 AM
I respect his numbers.. I respect his career.. I respect that he is a future HOF.

I don't respect his work ethic. I don't respect his attitude. I certainly don't respect the way he acts when he doesn't get his way.

Goodbye Manny. (nothing more.. you don't "deserve" it)oh but according to him its the redsox that dont deserve him lol some of his comments would be funny to me if they didn't sound so ******** god!

Sweet_Caroline
07-31-2008, 01:34 AM
Ive read psd forums for awhile now and this whole Manny thing finally made me register. Manny WAS my favorite player for such a long time, and I put up with his antics and "Manny being Manny" because it didn't seem like they hurt the team. Now they are. And after watching maybe the worst game the Sox have played since 2004 game 3 vs Yanks, I believe if Theo thinks this trade will help us I trust him. So, thanks for the rings Manny, I still think you're great but you're hurting the team, so whatever happens, happens, and go Sox.

americaspasttim
07-31-2008, 01:50 AM
Ive read psd forums for awhile now and this whole Manny thing finally made me register. Manny WAS my favorite player for such a long time, and I put up with his antics and "Manny being Manny" because it didn't seem like they hurt the team. Now they are. And after watching maybe the worst game the Sox have played since 2004 game 3 vs Yanks, I believe if Theo thinks this trade will help us I trust him. So, thanks for the rings Manny, I still think you're great but you're hurting the team, so whatever happens, happens, and go Sox.

Welcome to the forums...

Tragedy
07-31-2008, 02:16 AM
Manny Ramirez.

I never liked him, really. I've always enjoyed him at the plate, because the guy is a complete monster. But his antics, the "Manny being Manny" stuff has never really sat well with me.

I respect what he gave us for 7 1/2 years. I respect the 2 WS rings. I respect his unbelievable offensive abilities and the HOF numbers he put up.

With that said, though, I hope he doesn't even go into Cooperstown wearing a Boston hat. I hate him that badly. He's an arrogant, ignorant, childish, *******. He is trying to become the good guy in a situation where he is absolutely, without question, the big bad guy in this whole ordeal. This is the guy that beats on an old man, goes after Youkilis, and makes countless ridiculous comments about the FO that were so not needed.

When I wake up tomorrow, I pray that Ramirez is either gone, or it's at least closer to being done. I will absolutely not miss Manny Ramirez playing LF.

RedSoxtober
07-31-2008, 08:08 AM
Well it depends, respect for his abilities as a hitter or respect for his qualities as a person? The former I have tremendous respect for, but the latter is lacking...

Personally I find it almost impossible to separate them. With Manny in particular it's quite possible that his hitting proficiency is directly or indirectly related to his general indifference to the team's performance (e.g., "I don't care if we win" in the playoffs). Many of the "Manny Being Manny" moments were simply reflections of his low view of the game in general and of his team/mates.

I do appreciate what he's contributed to the Red Sox and won't boo him when I see him in another uniform (it's inevitable whether it's a deal now or in the offseason) but appreciation and respect don't always go together.

RedSoxtober
07-31-2008, 08:13 AM
With that said, though, I hope he doesn't even go into Cooperstown wearing a Boston hat. I hate him that badly. He's an arrogant, ignorant, childish, *******. He is trying to become the good guy in a situation where he is absolutely, without question, the big bad guy in this whole ordeal. This is the guy that beats on an old man, goes after Youkilis, and makes countless ridiculous comments about the FO that were so not needed.

I agree that Manny is trying to play it both ways. He's suggesting that the Sox are trying to paint him in a bad light as he exits and draws parallels between himself and Nomar/Petey. At the same time he pulls the "they don't deserve a player like me" crap. Those two are polar opposites.

I don't agree that he's arrogant. Ignorant (not a pejorative -- just lacking knowledge/wisdom) and childish are probably right. What many call arrogance I think is just complete indifference. Manny is or will be just as content to his 25-30HR, 90-110RBI for a first place Sox or Indians team as he would be for a last place Pirates or Mariners team. He is part of a team because it's necessary to play baseball but that's the extent of his attachment.

BRADY4MVP
07-31-2008, 09:32 AM
well, today is the day that I hope we trade one of the best hitters most of us have ever seen play the game.

Will we miss his HR potential? yup. His clutch potential? yup. His presence in the lineup? yup. BUT will we miss his antics? nope. His, and I have grown to HATE THIS PHRASE, manny being manny moments? nope. His dragging down the team because of his actions? nope.

In the past few days, Manny Ramirez has turned himself into a steriod-free Barry Bonds. It is all about him, with complete ignorance to the team. His sideshow antics have pushed many to the breaking point and now we want nothing better than to trade away a 'feared slugger' for whatever we can get.

Manny isnt the victim here. If anything it is the fans. We have cheered our butts off night in and night out for him, for him to say that the Red Sox don't deserve HIM. Who is he to say that? If manny cared half as much as most of us do on here about the game, he would be that much better of a ball player. The fans are the ones who have written off his laziness, or lack of hustle. We have made numerous excuses for him, front office included, that with any other Red Sox would not be allowed.

Even if he doesn't get traded, he has already tarnished what he built up in his time here. Maybe if he actually cared, he would be a great BASEBALL PLAYER, not just a great hitter.

Adios Manny. Thanks for the W.S. and the memories. Good luck trying to find a team where you have it as good as you had it here..

RedSoxtober
07-31-2008, 09:41 AM
Will we miss his HR potential? yup. His clutch potential? yup. His presence in the lineup? yup. BUT will we miss his antics? nope. His, and I have grown to HATE THIS PHRASE, manny being manny moments? nope. His dragging down the team because of his actions? nope.

Manny has not been 'clutch' for quite some time. Most people point to the HR in the ALDS when they think of him being a clutch hitter. He did hit very well in the playoffs last year, but his last 4-5 years have been very weak in the clutch during the season... and if you don't win during the season it matters little how you might do in the playoffs.

lil'papi
07-31-2008, 09:52 AM
Manny sucks.

He is a childlike primadonna.......it's so about money now. Once a guy disrespects the game my respect is gone. It's always about the game without it he is in a homeless shelter.

He doesn't get that. :rolleyes:

The RS didn't do anything to get this treatment and he has done way more stupid chit than Petey or Nomar or whomever.

He needs a mirror.

goldglove212
07-31-2008, 12:00 PM
i used to respect him even with his antics and stuff i used to just think hes having fun out there no big deal but his comments have gone too far this time and ive lost respect for him as a person but not as a player.

BRADY4MVP
07-31-2008, 01:45 PM
Manny has not been 'clutch' for quite some time. Most people point to the HR in the ALDS when they think of him being a clutch hitter. He did hit very well in the playoffs last year, but his last 4-5 years have been very weak in the clutch during the season... and if you don't win during the season it matters little how you might do in the playoffs.

that's why I threw in 'potential'

RedSoxtober
07-31-2008, 02:17 PM
that's why I threw in 'potential'

Oh, well in that case I like my potential to be clutch, too. :p

ThreeIfBaerga
07-31-2008, 02:37 PM
What pisses me off the most is the fact that after 7.5 years of collecting $20 million a year from the Red Sox, he just has to have that last contract.

Dudes made more money in 7 years in Boston than any of us will ever have, but he's so deadset on getting more that he's willing to quit on his friends and teammates, not to mention the fans who loved him and the manager that has stuck up for him so vehemently since he was hired.

He's giving the entire fanbase the big ol middle finger for a few more digits in his bank account (which really, will just be a splash in the bucket.)

lil'papi
08-01-2008, 08:00 AM
This sums it up nicely! He sucks as a person.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red_sox/view.bg?&articleid=1110416&format=&page=1&listingType=sox#articleFull

lil'papi
08-01-2008, 08:19 AM
What pisses me off the most is the fact that after 7.5 years of collecting $20 million a year from the Red Sox, he just has to have that last contract.

Dudes made more money in 7 years in Boston than any of us will ever have, but he's so deadset on getting more that he's willing to quit on his friends and teammates, not to mention the fans who loved him and the manager that has stuck up for him so vehemently since he was hired.

He's giving the entire fanbase the big ol middle finger for a few more digits in his bank account (which really, will just be a splash in the bucket.)

Go read the articles on him no showing kids with cancer or the guys at Walter Reed medical center. He is a jerk off of a person.
Right down to his pot smoking song he blared when approaching an AB. He is all about Manny.

He has the audacity to say RS are making him look bad like petey and nomar......this is absurd. Manny we aren't stupid. We've seen the antics....
Play another song this one wore out its welcome.:rolleyes:

i am bob
08-01-2008, 09:09 AM
Manny is always gonna be Manny. I still love him though and respect him for he he has done over the years :).