PDA

View Full Version : Ivan Rodriguez traded to the Yankees

tripleplay2007
07-30-2008, 04:37 PM
For Kyle Farnsworth and a player to be named.

onlythisfar41
07-30-2008, 04:39 PM
sorry guys, we just robbed you.

lincecum=future
07-30-2008, 04:40 PM
Makes absolutely no sense to me.

DaoudS
07-30-2008, 04:41 PM
It is Pudge for Farnsworth from what ESPN is reporting. I guess Farnsworth will help the bullpen.

smarkow
07-30-2008, 04:41 PM
This makes absolutely zero sense! I just don't get it. Farnsworth has not been good this year, and pudge has been playing so well recently. I just don't get this trade one bit.
Was what the marlins were offering worse than this? i just cannot beleive this....!

smarkow
07-30-2008, 04:42 PM
From what I just read on the DFP, the trade was straight up

HOZ THE KNICK
07-30-2008, 04:43 PM
farnsworth is a bum

smarkow
07-30-2008, 04:44 PM
HOLY ***** i just don't get this at all. yes, we need relief help, but is Farnsworth really worth giving up Pudge??? to the Yankees??? ***** ME

DetTigers
07-30-2008, 04:50 PM
we better be getting a player to be named in this like a mid level prospect because this is a bunch of **** to do this straight up another thing is whos going to be our backup to Inge (better not be Sardinha) there could be more moves made possibly to get another catcher unless they call up Dusty Ryan if they think hes ready i dont know sad day for the Tigers I really liked pudge

DetTigers
07-30-2008, 04:51 PM
especially to trade him to the Yankees of all people screw that

levignjw
07-30-2008, 04:52 PM
this is absolutely awful

onlythisfar41
07-30-2008, 04:54 PM
not to add insult to injury, but hes a type A free agent, so thats 2 draft picks were getting after the season.

Lionsforlife
07-30-2008, 04:54 PM
I just don't get it. I liked Farnsworth when he was with the Tigers, but he has done nothing sense. He is definitely not worth Pudge. Our Catcher cupboard is now bare. Why couldn't we talk them into Inge? I am not understanding this one at all. I am a big Dombrowski fan, but this makes no sense to me. None. :mad:

DetTigers
07-30-2008, 04:57 PM
Inge was supposed to play third base tonight dont know if he is going to catch now tonight or their going to call someone up crazy and stupid if they moved pudge definately look for renteria and sheff to be gone too

DetTigers
07-30-2008, 05:01 PM
Farnsworth:3.65 ERA 11 Holds 43 SO 44.1 IP 17 BB 1 Win 2 Losses

smarkow
07-30-2008, 05:14 PM
Farnsworth:3.65 ERA 11 Holds 43 SO 44.1 IP 17 BB 1 Win 2 Losses

Pudge: .295/5/32. Not great power/rbi stats, but he's batting .295 and is red hot recently. I just can't believe we didnt get someone else on top of the Farns. I mean, the Yankees must be laughing their arses off that we just traded one of the best catchers of all time for the Farns!

so, is the Farns now our new closer???????

smarkow
07-30-2008, 05:15 PM
I can't believe Leyland would OK this trade.

TheRedMarauder
07-30-2008, 05:23 PM
This is a very weird trade.

Zoomlander
07-30-2008, 05:29 PM
Now the tigers can saftey move Jones for another bat..............this is a sad day though...........pudge was the one guy that had balls to sign with the worst team in baseball!..........................i really wanted to see the tigers get Jamie Walker back

smarkow
07-30-2008, 05:35 PM
you're right. pudge signed here when no one wanted to be here.

You're right in that we can now let Jonesy go, but for another bat? im not sure who we could get for him. wish we could have included Jones in the trade

Epic89
07-30-2008, 05:41 PM
I want to cry.

Pudge is the reason I became a Tigers fan. That team didn't mean jack **** to me 'til they signed him. He was owed much better.

And to make things worse; for Farnsworth? You must be ****ing kidding. You're still one of the best in the game DD, but this trade just sucks

mkool65
07-30-2008, 05:45 PM
Hey atleast it is not like we straight up cut Farnsworth a couple years back. I am very angry with this one because I was telling my friends on Monday just how much I hated Farnsworth when he was with us. This makes no sense to me.

Bondomania
07-30-2008, 06:00 PM
in order for the yankees to get those two draft picks.. they have to offer him arbitration.. which would be for roughly 10 mill.. pudge could very easily accept that, then you guys are screwed with two catchers at almost 40.. Farnsworth could potentially be a type A free agent as well, pending on how well he pitches for us..

haha, i find it funny, we are the laughing stock of baseball right now.. every one on ESPN is ripping the tigers for this move.. awesome.. we got ripped off so hard..

Webslinger
07-30-2008, 06:33 PM
in order for the yankees to get those two draft picks.. they have to offer him arbitration.. which would be for roughly 10 mill.. pudge could very easily accept that, then you guys are screwed with two catchers at almost 40.. Farnsworth could potentially be a type A free agent as well, pending on how well he pitches for us..

haha, i find it funny, we are the laughing stock of baseball right now.. every one on ESPN is ripping the tigers for this move.. awesome.. we got ripped off so hard..

At his age and with his stats and rep I cannot imagine him accepting anything less than a 2 or 3 year contract. Only scrubs take one year contracts. The yankees will offer him arbitration and he'll likely refuse. Farnsworth is unlikely to be a type a. I'm not even certain he's a type b. His last two years are averaged out and he was really awful in 2007.

levignjw
07-30-2008, 07:25 PM
I really hope we made this trade to open up room for another trade before 2morrow bcuz as of right now i have no idea why we did this. Dombrowski always makes good moves but right now i dont know what hes thinking. we're 5.5 games back, this season is far from over

Bondomania
07-30-2008, 07:54 PM
it really depends on farnsworth and how he pitches down the stretch for us..

Pudge may not take a 2 or 3 year deal, through arbitration he could make more on a year to year basis instead of signing a 2 or 3 year deal.. if he signs a 2 or 3 year deal he is looking at 5 to 7 mill per.. if he goes through arb. he could get 10 mill.. and mainly i hope he sticks it to the yankees and agrees to it so they can't get draft picks..

mark1125
07-30-2008, 07:55 PM
I was all for dealing Pudge for some younger talent. Farnsworth??? It makes no sense whatsoever. Sure we need relief, but we could have gotten someone compareable for less.

kind of hope there is a seconde deal coming soon, because this one eats at my craw.

Bondomania
07-30-2008, 07:56 PM
also, i think the tigers could go into a tailspin, i think they might have waived the white flag by making this move.. they could have traded inge to NY for farnsworth, kept pudge then offered arb, hopefully he refused it, and we could have gotten two prospects for him...

JMDTM
07-30-2008, 08:31 PM
yeah well Inge is starting to show he can start with his fielding and hitting. maybe it wont turn out so bad. besides, we can hit just fine, its our pen we hae trouble with and he will make it better. i have been doing my research on our 1st 2 prospects and i think with there talent and potential they could easily make there debut this year.

hotmnguy18
07-30-2008, 08:34 PM
Well it apears the tigers organization had just thrown in the flag on the season. Right when you guys are still very much in it, in my opinion. My twins did the same damn thing last year when we were three games out, they traded one of the favorites in the club house luis castillo. The team just went in a downward spiral after that. Sorry Guys. I dont think my twins are going to win the division, and I really don't want the white sox too. I was pulling for you guys to get back into it.

JackB
07-30-2008, 08:54 PM
Its a business. We don't have to like it but we do have to deal with it. Besides we haven't seen the end of this yet. I stopped getting upset at trades like this years ago. Its like the weather. ***** all you want its still going to happen.And the more you ***** the worse it is. Vent a little and let it go.

mark1125
07-30-2008, 08:59 PM
I am very curious as to what the Marlins offered up.

Webslinger
07-30-2008, 09:03 PM
it really depends on farnsworth and how he pitches down the stretch for us..

Pudge may not take a 2 or 3 year deal, through arbitration he could make more on a year to year basis instead of signing a 2 or 3 year deal.. if he signs a 2 or 3 year deal he is looking at 5 to 7 mill per.. if he goes through arb. he could get 10 mill.. and mainly i hope he sticks it to the yankees and agrees to it so they can't get draft picks..

I don't know of a single type A free agent that actually prefers a year to year contract. Not one. He will want a multi year deal for lots of money. Trust me Pudge will make at least 10 million no matter what.

smarkow
07-30-2008, 09:07 PM
I am very curious as to what the Marlins offered up.

we'll never know, but i completely agree. they must have been offering minor league guys or something. DD wanted a guy that was ready to play now.....otherwise, ijust don't get it.
looking at the stats, farnsworth has been better recently

Lionsforlife
07-30-2008, 09:27 PM
Well, at first, I was actually completely appaled. However, after some thinking, I don't think this is a sign that they are throwing in the towel. If they were throwing in the towel, they would have gotten a young arm. They wanted someone that could possibly close now, not someone they would have to develop.

Looking at the money we have wrapped up in Inge, I could see the Tigers saying that they could live with .230 and 15-20 homers from the catcher spot for many years as opposed to .300 and 10 homers for the rest of the year.

I also wonder if Pudge either hinted toward retiring or not returning after the year. If that was the case, at least we got something. It's definitely hard to see one of the faces of the Tigers go, I won't judge this one until we see how the race ends up. Who knows, maybe Farnsworth will propser in the closer role, or at least be a force in the 7th or 8th for us. He's had his sturggles yes, but as I said, they wanted someone who has already also had success.

This trade is a sign that they are still fighting for this race, not waving a flag. However, if this trade blows up in their face, I wonder if they'll blow up the team next year.

hotmnguy18
07-30-2008, 10:04 PM
I just don't see how you can trade away a clubhouse leader. I could see it making more sense if you got a few minor leaguers or something for the future. You got Kyle Farnsworthless.

dmack7584
07-31-2008, 12:56 AM
Farnsworth will be close to be a type A free agent. He has decent numbers not great but is having a really good season. If he pitches well for the Tigers down the stretch he will be type A if not he will be type B. He is not classified as a closer so he has a better shot at being type A. It sounds like the trade was made because Pudge was not happy and there might be some issues with him in the club house.

Lionsforlife
07-31-2008, 01:11 AM
To be honest, after watching Rodney blow the save tonight, it makes me feel better about the trade. I think that they are desperate to find a closer and at least this gives us a fourth option that we didn't have before. Jones, Rodney, and Zumaya have all struggled to get it done in the ninth. Maybe Farnsworth will get it done.

On the surface, this seems like a very lopsided trade, but it could work out for both. At least we got something for Pudge, instead of him walk away in free agency. And I would rather have an established guy than a minor leaguer, we need someone to help now in the bullpen.

One Nut Kruk
07-31-2008, 06:14 PM
Wow, I think some of you must be watching VHS taped Ranger games from the late 90's or something. Pudge is mediocre now and on the decline. He's nearing 40, isn't as good defensively as he once was and offensively, he is garbage. Inge is not a drop off whatsoever. In 120 LESS at bats, he has 4 more homers and one less RBI. Wow, Pudge is batting .290 something. Big frickin deal, his OBP is barely better than Inge's even though his average is 70 points higher and Inge has a better OPS. All he is, is a name. Singles to RF in non clutch situations. We'll see how Yankee fans like this deal when he's up in the late innings swinging at crap in the dirt or at his head for strike 3.

I like and respect Pudge for what he has done for the organzition but he was not coming back here anyway and was not worth what he was getting. I agree that we should have got more back in return but oh well, deal with it. We improve our BRUTAL bullpen and they improve the catching position. The ONLY downfall to this trade is that our backup catching position now STINKS.

Bondomania
07-31-2008, 08:12 PM
eh, i almost would have rather taken the prospects.. the tigers might make a run, but at the same time, it isn't looking like it... i think that they will keep it close enough to keep us intrigued but i think they will fall short.. i really think we are still a few moves away from being legit..

One Nut Kruk
07-31-2008, 08:23 PM
eh, i almost would have rather taken the prospects.. the tigers might make a run, but at the same time, it isn't looking like it... i think that they will keep it close enough to keep us intrigued but i think they will fall short.. i really think we are still a few moves away from being legit..

I never said I wouldn't have rather had the prospects but really, I don't think we could have gotten that much for Pudge anyway. And with the current roster, it is a team built to win now and in the future so they corrected a current problem. The moves that we need to make to be legit are in the starting rotation and the bullpen and Pudge wasn't going to fetch a legitimate starting pitcher.

Also, if they make a run and fall just short, doesn't that make this move worthwhile? I mean, at least they're trying to win...that's the point of the game, no? If they get prospects for Pudge, they're mailing in the season. Not that far out with lots of time left.....gotta do what you feel is beneficial to the team and obviously, DD knows that the bullpen sucks azz.

Too many armchair GM's look at the deal and all they see is "Hall of Fame Catcher" for "average-good reliever". Sorry, but Pudge hasn't been All Star calibre in 4+ years.

EdTheRevelator
07-31-2008, 08:26 PM
Wow, I think some of you must be watching VHS taped Ranger games from the late 90's or something. Pudge is mediocre now and on the decline. He's nearing 40, isn't as good defensively as he once was and offensively, he is garbage. Inge is not a drop off whatsoever. In 120 LESS at bats, he has 4 more homers and one less RBI. Wow, Pudge is batting .290 something. Big frickin deal, his OBP is barely better than Inge's even though his average is 70 points higher and Inge has a better OPS. All he is, is a name. Singles to RF in non clutch situations. We'll see how Yankee fans like this deal when he's up in the late innings swinging at crap in the dirt or at his head for strike 3.

I like and respect Pudge for what he has done for the organzition but he was not coming back here anyway and was not worth what he was getting. I agree that we should have got more back in return but oh well, deal with it. We improve our BRUTAL bullpen and they improve the catching position. The ONLY downfall to this trade is that our backup catching position now STINKS.

Finally, a voice of reason in this thread.

I love this trade, despite being an Indians fan and these being two teams I despise. But, I love trades that make perfect sense for both teams.

But just because it makes sense for both teams doesn't mean they're both winners. And I think the Tigers will end up the winners in this deal.

The drop off between Pudge and Inge is next to nonexistent. Besides, the lineup is still pretty good with or without him. But the Tigers' pitching sucks. And with a farm system that's been raped with the other deals made lately, Detroit didn't have much to offer. So they deal a guy who probably wasn't going to play with the team next year and for whom they had a replacement for a reliever who isn't that bad. Really, his problem is he can't pitch in New York. He had good seasons with the Braves and lest your memories be that short, the Tigers. He'll help that back end of the pen, and the cost is really minimal. Pudge is, as Kruk said, simply a name now.

You guys needed pitching. You got some. Why are you complaining?

One Nut Kruk
07-31-2008, 08:34 PM
Finally, a voice of reason in this thread.

I love this trade, despite being an Indians fan and these being two teams I despise. But, I love trades that make perfect sense for both teams.

But just because it makes sense for both teams doesn't mean they're both winners. And I think the Tigers will end up the winners in this deal.

The drop off between Pudge and Inge is next to nonexistent. Besides, the lineup is still pretty good with or without him. But the Tigers' pitching sucks. And with a farm system that's been raped with the other deals made lately, Detroit didn't have much to offer. So they deal a guy who probably wasn't going to play with the team next year and for whom they had a replacement for a reliever who isn't that bad. Really, his problem is he can't pitch in New York. He had good seasons with the Braves and lest your memories be that short, the Tigers. He'll help that back end of the pen, and the cost is really minimal. Pudge is, as Kruk said, simply a name now.

You guys needed pitching. You got some. Why are you complaining?

Because people identify "the name" Pudge with being a main cog in restoring the roar back in Detroit...and rightfully so. But it's time to recognize what he has done for the organziation and move on.

Farnsworth was dynamite when he was in Detroit. Hopefully, he will be again....and I expect him to be.

stanpapi
07-31-2008, 11:05 PM
...and at this stage of his career, I know we're not going to get a heck of a lot for him. But Farnsworth? Didn't he hurt his buttocks in a non-baseball injury? I want to like it, because it was time for Pudge to go. But I think we got a head case in return. That's what I think. Don't like it.

EdTheRevelator
08-01-2008, 02:42 AM
...and at this stage of his career, I know we're not going to get a heck of a lot for him. But Farnsworth? Didn't he hurt his buttocks in a non-baseball injury? I want to like it, because it was time for Pudge to go. But I think we got a head case in return. That's what I think. Don't like it.

Pretty sure you're thinking of Pavano, but not positive.

mikebs20
08-01-2008, 09:43 AM
The Nats just released Lo Duca and Estrada. Both provide the veteran leadership that we lost with Pudge. I definately think that we should go after Lo Duca. Keep Inge as the primary catcher for the remainder of this season and give him the option to play 3b or c next year (with all the crap we have put him through I think we owe him that). If he chooses 3b go after Miguel Olivo in FA. If he chooses to play c go after Blalock. Then, this all depends on who we still have under contract (How long are Sheff and Guillen under contract still?) but go after Manny or Pat Burrel in FA. Our lineup could look like this:

C:Inge
1B: Cabrera
2B: Polanco
3B: Blalock
SS: Rayburn
RF: Mags
CF: Granderson
LF: Joyce
DH: Manny/Burrell

or

C: Olivio
1B: Cabrera
2B: Polanco
3B: Inge
SS: Rayburn
RF: Mags
CF: Granderson
LF: Joyce
DH: Manny/Burrell

Again, before anyone jumps on this I have NO idea how long Sheff and Guillen are under contract or even what their buyout is. It sure is fun to dream though.

MinnesotaTiger
08-01-2008, 03:00 PM
O.K, I wont jump on you...but Blalock has hands of stone, Manny is on the decline and Burrell is a clone of Marcus Thames, they both strike out a ton or hit the ball a mile. Put Guillen back at shortstop, Inge at third (he covers what Guillen can't) and pick up Estrada, LoDuca or Olivo. I hate to say it, but the Tigers have been way to erratic to get me excited anymore. Next year looks promising. I'd like to see them pick up Huston Street.

CF Granderson
2B Polanco
1B Cabrera
RF Maggs
SS Guillen
DH Thames-Sheffield
LF Joyce-Thames
3B Inge
C Olivo-LoDuca-Estrada ???

Verlander
Bonderman
Willis
Gallarraga
***fill in who you like***

Street
Zumaya
Seay
Farnsworth
?????
?????
?????

Bondomania
08-01-2008, 04:42 PM
alright, well that is fine and dandy but i all honesty, we need pitching.. not more offense.. screw signing manny or anyone else.. we need to make a legit attempt at signing anothe starting pitcher.. we have the prospects to come up and contribute at this level..

the thing i don't like farnsworth is his interview he made it seem like he didn't even want to come here.. he sounded so devastated that he got traded to detroit.. do i want some A-hole coming in in the 9th that doesn't even want to be here? not really.. at least i know Rodney and Zumaya will battle their hearts out.. whereas Farnsworth, i am not so sure about... I do agree that the bullpen is crap.. but don't sit here and try and feed me this crap about oh we needed that one extra arm.. NO we need like 2 or 3 arms.. at least if they would have gone out and got another arm at the deadline, i could then accept that, but right now.. jones needs to go.. Dolsi needs to go down to AAA to refine his secondary pitches.. Fosum.. well he is what he is

so that leaves:

Zumaya
Farnsworth
Rodney
Seay (lefty specialist)
Fossum (lefty specialist)
Lopez

we need one more arm, not to mention Lopez hasn't been that good lately.. especially considering more and more people are sitting on his slider.. and if he hangs one, people are crushing it..

Bondomania
08-01-2008, 04:43 PM
and by prospects, i mean prospects that can contribute at DH and other positions in the field.. we lack starting pitching prospects..

DetTigers
08-01-2008, 05:08 PM
It would be great if we could get Sabathia or Sheets in the offseason but they will want too much so chances will be slim unless we get rid of some salaries

One Nut Kruk
08-01-2008, 05:39 PM
O.K, I wont jump on you...but Blalock has hands of stone, Manny is on the decline and Burrell is a clone of Marcus Thames, they both strike out a ton or hit the ball a mile. Put Guillen back at shortstop, Inge at third (he covers what Guillen can't) and pick up Estrada, LoDuca or Olivo. I hate to say it, but the Tigers have been way to erratic to get me excited anymore. Next year looks promising. I'd like to see them pick up Huston Street.

CF Granderson
2B Polanco
1B Cabrera
RF Maggs
SS Guillen
DH Thames-Sheffield
LF Joyce-Thames
3B Inge
C Olivo-LoDuca-Estrada ???

Verlander
Bonderman
Willis
Gallarraga
***fill in who you like***

Street
Zumaya
Seay
Farnsworth
?????
?????
?????

Guillen back at short because Inge covers more at 3rd???? Guillen has been surprisingly good at 3rd BECAUSE he doesn't have to cover as much ground there. You have to cover a heck of a lot more ground at shortstop dude and Guillen isn't the man for that.

Also not a big fan of any of those catchers, nor am I a big Street fan.

stanpapi
08-01-2008, 10:14 PM
Whatever they do or don't do, if they get Manny I'm jumping ship. I mean, I don't think that's going to happen. I don't think you'll see any boutique signings this off-season in Detroit. But if they go out and get just one more over-weight, over-the-hill guy who can't field, like, I'm just going to stop subjecting myself to this. As a group, they are too fat, too slow, and too old. So there's that, plus I'd really like to see a few jobs actually fought over (read available) during spring training.

MinnesotaTiger
08-02-2008, 10:36 AM
Bondo...I know they need pitching, that is why I left starter slot filled with ????? and half of the bullpen filled with ?????? And Kruk, I understand what you mean, but the team is a better team with Inge at third, despite his pathetic bat. They seem to play with more confidence when he is as third, I've wathced nearly every game and the difference is quite remarkable when Inge is at third. I'm not saying Guillen is the answer at short, maybe he should be the fulltime DH and ship Sheffield out (Although who would take him?). Also, does it annoy anyone else that they get rid of Pudge and do no make another move? Then they have the testicles to say, "We haven't given up." It is apparent they have thrown in the towel and Pudge was the first move.

One Nut Kruk
08-02-2008, 12:33 PM
Bondo...I know they need pitching, that is why I left starter slot filled with ????? and half of the bullpen filled with ?????? And Kruk, I understand what you mean, but the team is a better team with Inge at third, despite his pathetic bat. They seem to play with more confidence when he is as third, I've wathced nearly every game and the difference is quite remarkable when Inge is at third. I'm not saying Guillen is the answer at short, maybe he should be the fulltime DH and ship Sheffield out (Although who would take him?). Also, does it annoy anyone else that they get rid of Pudge and do no make another move? Then they have the testicles to say, "We haven't given up." It is apparent they have thrown in the towel and Pudge was the first move.

Inge is better than Guillen defensively at 3rd, no question about that....but putting Guillen back at short just makes that spot weak. If Inge was to go back to 3rd, then Guillen has to DH (which says bye bye to Sheffield and/or Thames, which I wouldn't have a problem with) or be traded because there is no where for him to play.

And even though Inge is better at 3rd, Guillen has played pretty well over there and I don't recall him costing us any games, so in my opinion, it's not like 3rd is a sore spot that we need to correct immediately.

And I don't believe that we have thrown in the towel just because an over the hill catcher was traded for bullpen HELP. We don't lose that much with Inge catching instead of Pudge and we improve our pen. Do I like Inge at catcher? Not really....but he's ok.

smarkow
08-02-2008, 12:55 PM
signing Manny would be so stupid. why don't we sign Roger Clemens???

you guys need to be realistic.

First off, Guillen hasn been surprisingly good this season after the rocky start. I'm fine with Inge catching. Going after LoDuca? i don't see how he's better than Inge. Pitching Pitching Pitching. That is what we need. We need at least one more solid starter. whether is sabathia, sheets, whoever. we need someone else. shortstop, i say we promote from within. but renteria should be gone. his horrible play in the field has hurt us, and his offense isnt too goo anymore either. but, its all about pitching. Pitching wins, and has for years. we had great pitching 2 years ago, and DD though we could return to that same form, but that just isnt realistic from guys that don't have a track record of producing. Pitching, Pitching, Pitching

stanpapi
08-04-2008, 05:02 PM
Team has to get faster, tougher, and there has to be the threat of the B-team stepping in at all times. You have to be able to win a job on this team. When you see them still sending Sheff and his .230 BA up there, it's kind of discouraging. More than pitching has to change here.

mark1125
08-04-2008, 06:09 PM

Bravo. Pudge is average at best as a catcxher nowadays. No power, won't take a walk. Defense while still good is declining. Very Expensive and most likely not resigned. Farnsworth would not have been my top choice, but lets not pretend that the loss of Pudge is going to kill our team.