PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox One Of Five Teams Pursuing Ohman

YankeeFan28
07-30-2008, 04:00 PM
According to Gordon Edes of the Boston Globe (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2008/07/sox_talking_to.html), the Red Sox are one of five teams pursuing Braves lefty Will Ohman.

Previous reports have mentioned the Red Sox, Marlins, Rays, Tigers, White Sox, and Cardinals as suitors for Ohman, who is a free agent after the season.MLBTR

cocossox
07-30-2008, 04:06 PM
MLBTRsorry I must be dumb, I've never heard of him :o any good?

BostonFan 53
07-30-2008, 04:19 PM
Ehhh. He's doing good this year. But he has a 4+ era for his career. I wouldn't give too much for him.

RedSoxtober
07-30-2008, 04:22 PM
He's a LHP in the Braves pen who's having a good season despite middling numbers over his career. His primary advantage is that he's under club control for '09. I'm not a huge fan personally.

homie564
07-30-2008, 04:44 PM
we could use a lefty in the BP seein our lack of lefties in the rotation but i mean im only for taking this guy if he performs and signs next year just in case javier lopez starts to be himself again and suck lol

Lord Byron 34
07-30-2008, 05:44 PM
we could use a lefty in the BP seein our lack of lefties in the rotation but i mean im only for taking this guy if he performs and signs next year just in case javier lopez starts to be himself again and suck lol

you say "our" but your signature says Go Yankees?

Stats for Ohman: 2.84 ERA 13 holds 41 K 1.13 WHIP 44.1 IP 55 APP 1 SV 1 BS

Great name too.

yaowowrocket11
07-30-2008, 05:48 PM
Ehhh. He's doing good this year. But he has a 4+ era for his career. I wouldn't give too much for him.

ERA isn't a big deal for relievers. The main stat that is best for relievers is WHIP. Ohman has a 1.13 WHIP this year, which is very good. I am also not a huge fan. I prefer Sherill (if he is still available, which is questionable) or Rhodes in terms of lefty bullpen arms.

yaowowrocket11
07-30-2008, 05:48 PM
you say "our" but your signature says Go Yankees?

Stats for Ohman: 2.84 ERA 13 holds 41 K 1.13 WHIP 44.1 IP 55 APP 1 SV 1 BS

Great name too.

It says "Go Yankees" in his sig from a sig bet, since it says under that "A deal is a deal".

-Lavigne43-
07-30-2008, 11:56 PM
Eight teams looking for a lefty-killer for their bullpen are in on Atlanta lefty Will Ohman, including all three AL East contenders. It is extremely likely that Ohman will be dealt by the deadline, given the level of interest.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=mlb_trade_deadline

yaowowrocket11
07-31-2008, 12:04 AM
Eight teams looking for a lefty-killer for their bullpen are in on Atlanta lefty Will Ohman, including all three AL East contenders. It is extremely likely that Ohman will be dealt by the deadline, given the level of interest.

I wonder if the Sox finalize the Manny deal and get Grabow, if it will affect the pursuit of Ohman.......

Superiority
07-31-2008, 12:16 AM
yeah theres no need for him if they get Grabow

BosoxPapi61
07-31-2008, 06:56 AM
It says in multiple sources that the Royals offered Mahay for Moss

RedSoxtober
07-31-2008, 08:00 AM
According to the Globe's Gordon Edes, the Red Sox on Wednesday are talking to the Braves about reliever Will Ohman, who has a 2.84 ERA, 13 holds, and 41 strikeouts (with 18 walks) in 44 1/3 innings pitched this season. Besides the Red Sox, five other teams are discussing Ohman with the Braves, who are looking for a pitching prospect in return. A logical name that might surface in trade talks with Atlanta from the Red Sox farm system is Double-A pitcher Daniel Bard, who is 2-1 with a 2.63 ERA in 37 2/3 innings pitched for the Sea Dogs this season.

Source: BOston Globe

If the deal were Ohman for Bard that'd potentially be one of the worst in Sox history. It'd reek of 'win now', totally abandoning the sense of balancing present and future needs. The current crop of relievers (MDC, Oki, Hansen, Aardsma) has not exactly been lights out and they will come to the end of their run soon enough. Bard, even though he's struggled a little lately, represents a solid replacement for several years if he continues the kind of development we've seen this year. No thank you.

yaowowrocket11
07-31-2008, 09:29 AM
Source: BOston Globe

If the deal were Ohman for Bard that'd potentially be one of the worst in Sox history. It'd reek of 'win now', totally abandoning the sense of balancing present and future needs. The current crop of relievers (MDC, Oki, Hansen, Aardsma) has not exactly been lights out and they will come to the end of their run soon enough. Bard, even though he's struggled a little lately, represents a solid replacement for several years if he continues the kind of development we've seen this year. No thank you.

Bard could probably make a huge impact on the current Red Sox roster tomorrow. He will easily become a staple in the bullpen for years to come. Bard > Ohman.

RedSoxtober
07-31-2008, 09:39 AM
Bard could probably make a huge impact on the current Red Sox roster tomorrow. He will easily become a staple in the bullpen for years to come. Bard > Ohman.

Granted it's AA, but he's also been tougher on LHB than Ohman! Personally I just don't trust Ohman's career; too much downside to think that this season is anything other than a fluke.

lil'papi
07-31-2008, 09:44 AM
Bard for Ohman happens Theo will be my whipping boy again! Insane move.....anyway you slice it. Hansen....yehaa....Bard= stupid.

tonyd3b54
07-31-2008, 11:46 AM
It says in multiple sources that the Royals offered Mahay for Moss

id do that... moss is never gonna play for us anyway...

homie564
07-31-2008, 11:54 AM
especially if we get bay ^^ lol

PapelbonLester
07-31-2008, 12:08 PM
id do that... moss is never gonna play for us anyway...

your point.... he's worth a lot more than mahay. he was one of our top prospects. keep him on our bench. great player to be a 4th outfielder/ backup youk once casey is off the team(next year). he gives us DEPTH. Say drew/ellsbury/coco/bay go down. he steps in and gets time. moss has pop and i wish he was given a shot. imo hes a .270-.280 20 homer type guy if he were to play everyday.

-Lavigne43-
07-31-2008, 01:33 PM
The Yankees are among the teams in on Atlanta's Will Ohman. And the Red Sox's first choice, if they don't get John Grabow in the potential Manny Ramirez deal, is believed to be Kansas City's Ron Mahay.

-Lavigne43-
07-31-2008, 03:44 PM
They turned down one offer when the Atlanta Braves asked for a pitching prospect in return for 30-year-old lefthanded reliever Will Ohman. The prospect was not at the level of a Justin Masterson or Clay Buchholz, but nonetheless the Sox deemed it too much. Ohman is 3-0 with a 2.80 ERA. He’s made 56 appearances, tied for third in the National League. He’s thrown 45 innings with 41 strikeouts and 18 walks.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red_sox/view.bg?articleid=1110289&srvc=rss

-Lavigne43-
07-31-2008, 03:48 PM
First, Brian Fuentes. Now, Will Ohman. The Braves have informed clubs that were interested in Ohman that they're keeping their primary left-handed setup man unless some team dramatically steps up its offer in the next half-hour. Ten teams were interested in Ohman. But the Braves obviously felt none of them made an offer that provided more value than the compensation pick if they lose him to free agency.

Oh. And the Ken Griffey Jr. deal is now official if anyone's interested.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3513241&name=mlb_trade_deadline