PDA

View Full Version : Winners and losers at the time that were short-lived

phlp_bj
07-30-2008, 02:52 PM
1) Bartolo Colon and Tim Drew from Cleveland to Montreal for Lee Stevens and minor leaguers Grady Sizemore, Cliff Lee and Brandon Phillips -- June 27, 2002
With the Expos 6 games behind Atlanta in the National League East and a contraction guillotine reportedly hanging over the team's head, general manager Omar Minaya raids the farm system to acquire Colon, who is 10-4 with a 2.55 ERA in Cleveland.

In the pre-blogging days, when Baseball America is the only outlet monitoring every breath that prospects take, Minaya is widely praised for his coup. Montreal columnist Jack Todd refers to him as "brilliant" and says he has "utterly changed the way the Expos do business" since coming over from the Mets.

Cleveland GM Mark Shapiro resides in a different place -- at the wrong end of talk-radio hell. While Indians fans go on a universal rant, Colon's teammates are crushed by his departure. Several Cleveland veterans speculate that they might be the next to go.

"This has leveled all of us," reliever Paul Shuey tells the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

2) The Boston Red Sox acquire reliever Eric Gagne from Texas for outfielders David Murphy and Engel Beltre and pitcher Kason Gabbard -- July 31, 2007
Red Sox fans rejoice over the addition of Gagne, who has 16 saves and a 2.16 ERA for the Rangers, to complement Jonathan Papelbon and Hideki Okajima at the back end of the bullpen.

Boston's glee is magnified because the Yankees were also pursuing Gagne but failed to land him because GM Brian Cashman refused to part with Ian Kennedy or Melky Cabrera to clinch the deal.

3) Atlanta acquires first baseman Mark Teixeira and reliever Ron Mahay from Texas for catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia, shortstop Elvis Andrus and minor league pitchers Neftali Feliz, Matt Harrison and Beau Jones -- July 31, 2007
Braves GM John Schuerholz, the proverbial lion in winter, earns widespread praise for landing the big stick on the market. The consensus is that Teixeira will combine with Chipper Jones and Andruw Jones -- who's driven by a potentially huge free-agent payday -- to make Atlanta the front-runner in the division.

It's a heck of a coup for the Braves, considering that: (a) Julio Franco had been playing first base before Teixeira's arrival; and (b) Schuerholz also acquired Octavio Dotel for the underachieving Kyle Davies to upgrade Atlanta's bullpen for the stretch run.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=crasnick_jerry&id=3510650

ugadawgsfan17
07-30-2008, 08:25 PM
Jeff Bagwell for Larry Andersen. Might've been more stuff in that deal but I'm too lazy to look it up

Webslinger
07-30-2008, 09:08 PM
Victor Zambrano for Scott Kazmir. hehe

BayFan
07-31-2008, 12:29 AM
That Teixeira deal for the Braves turned out to be costly, they gave up some studs a year ago and now all they got for Teixeria is Kotchman (nice player but not on Teixserias level) and some ok reliever. I was listening to XM today and I heard that Texas turned down an offer of Ervin Santana and Kendrick ( and maybe someone else) last year, I bet the Angels are glad that didn't go down.