PDA

View Full Version : Team USA: Shooting May Be Concern

phlp_bj
07-30-2008, 02:40 PM
THREE POINT SHOOTING

Cause For Concern #1:

There are 13 American NBA players who in the 2007-08 regular season made over 100 threes and shot over 40% from behind the arc.

None of these players are on Team USA.

In fact, no player in the Top 36 in NBA three-point percentage is on the team. Designated shooter Michael Redd was only 69th in the league this year.

NBA stars like Kevin Martin and Chauncey Billups all shot better than anyone on Team USA. Even players such as Anthony Parker, Daniel Gibson, Steve Blake and Derek Fisher out-shot every player on the roster for TEAM USA from the three-point line during the regular season.

Cause For Concern #2:

The International three point line, at 20 feet 6 inches, is in an area of the floor deemed a "long two" by NBA standards – which is considered the worst percentage shot on the court in the league.

This means that many players don't normally shoot from that distance in a game. It's either an NBA three from 23-9 on top and the wings, 22 feet in the corners or a one dribble pull-up from 18 feet.

The spot on the floor where the line now sits is unfamiliar territory, and some players will be pulling up and taking shots from spots they don't ordinarily practice from or shoot from in NBA competition.

Reasons For Confidence:

Over half of Team USA's roster shoots better than 35% from behind the NBA three-point line – led by point guards Deron Williams (39.5), Jason Kidd (38.1) and Chris Paul (36.9).

The others are Tayshaun Prince (36.3), the aforementioned Michael Redd is fifth best on the team (36.2) and Kobe Bryant (36.1). Carmelo Anthony shoots a respectable 35.4.

Of those players, Kobe Bryant made the most threes of anyone during the regular season, ringing up 150.

So, although the team doesn't really have any of the league's top catch-and-shoot marksmen, our perimeter players are all decent shooters – with seven of our 12 players in the Top 85 in the league.

Also, most of these guys have good shooting mechanics and would shoot a much higher percentage if this had to be their calling card.

It may not be the same guys making shots from game to game, but we do have enough quality shooters that a few of them should be feeling it on any given night.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9636

HOZ THE KNICK
07-30-2008, 03:01 PM
yeah but anyone of those players can get hot in a second i think were good.

sixers247
07-30-2008, 03:57 PM
I agree. It will be pretty rare for all of them to be cold on the same night.

YankeeFan89
07-30-2008, 04:08 PM
I wouldn't be concerned with the shooting because if Kobe or Melo is having a bad night. You have guys like Redd,James and Wade to step up.(what are the chances the whole team has an off night...and besides if they do they'll just attack the basket 24/7) I don't see Team USA losing a game in Beijing this Summer.

ee
07-30-2008, 04:17 PM
I really won't worry about it too much......FIBA 3 point distance is like 2 feet closer from the NBA 3......so basically, it's a much easier range than the normal from NBA players so it'll be like shooting a little further than the mid range shot.....We're not sending the inexperience Lebrons, Melos, these guys have improved their jump shots since then....

JIDsanity
07-30-2008, 04:20 PM
We have Redd for a reason, plus Melo stepped up his 3 pt shooting.

SportsFan1988
07-30-2008, 04:20 PM
3 point shooting a concern? That's got to be one of the funniest things I've heard all day. First of all, the line is 2 feet closer than in the regular NBA, and we all know Kobe, Redd, Prince, LeBron, and Carmelo can hit a long range shot, and with the line closer they should have no trouble.

mcnasty54
07-30-2008, 04:32 PM
I'm not concerned about shooting for Team USA.

Westbrook36
07-30-2008, 04:33 PM
Im not concerned about anything for Team USA

torontosports10
07-30-2008, 04:37 PM
Wade,Kobe,Redd,James and they thinkg shooting is gonna be a problem hahhaa..Even Bosh has GREAT range for a big man and Boozer has good range also. The only players on this team who i think cant shoot is Superman

SportsFan1988
07-30-2008, 04:55 PM
Wade,Kobe,Redd,James and they thinkg shooting is gonna be a problem hahhaa..Even Bosh has GREAT range for a big man and Boozer has good range also. The only players on this team who i think cant shoot is Superman

And maybe Kidd, whenever I watch him play he can never make a freaking shot!! .. it actually makes me angry. :mad: but he's still J-Kidd!! :D

_Sn1P3r_
07-30-2008, 05:04 PM
USA should and are expected to light it up. Most players can shoot and get real hot so if they're hot, better watch out.

lakers4sho
07-30-2008, 07:52 PM
I'm not really worried about anything with these guys...I know they know what they're playing for and what they need to accomplish.

Jay22Redd
07-30-2008, 07:54 PM
Redd is a good shooter

PhillyLuver
07-30-2008, 07:55 PM
Shooting won't be a problem at all with so many guys who have great touches

Hawkeye15
07-30-2008, 07:57 PM

exactly. If a team throws a zone on us, Redd comes in and destroys it. Plus Anthony can pump those all night long. Kobe can hit when open, and even Paul is improved out there. The biggest difference this year, is with Paul and WIlliams, we have penetrating points. Real PG's. Not Iverson, or some other dribble machine, but a defense recognizing, offense starting point. I don't think Kidd should start at all.

Knowledge
07-30-2008, 08:09 PM
i am not concerned. Most of these guys are great shooter who are go-to options on their respective teams so not only do they take a high volume of shots, but they also take difficult shots. Unlike Fisher, Blake, and Gibson who usually get to spot up and shoot because of the attention their main guys draw.

When open and set right, most of these guys never miss.

ee
07-31-2008, 08:10 PM
The only concern I have for this team is having that one night where nothing seems to be working, previous teams at times had 2 or 3 of those.....Again, that's the problem we had with the past teams, hopefully, since this team have somewhat of a better chemistry, we'll be able to not have that one game.....

CaleX(RR)MIA™
07-31-2008, 08:38 PM
shooting is not a problem we can score with the best of em

but i think our D might be a problem

lakers4sho
07-31-2008, 09:27 PM
I think if they would encounter any problems it would be injuries.

CaleX(RR)MIA™
07-31-2008, 11:13 PM
I think if they would encounter any problems it would be injuries.

I hope not! :ohno::pray:

lakersrock
07-31-2008, 11:45 PM
In their first two games, they're like 68% from 2 and 48% from 3. I'd say their shooting is fine. I mean seriously, they have Kobe and Redd just to start. If they get left open at only 20 feet, it's going in.

Musical Tempo
08-01-2008, 03:04 AM

LOL he really didnt step it up..but stepped it in...the FIBA 3 point line is Melo's wet range. I think a step in from the 3pt line is where Melo has probably the hardest game to guard.
1,Wet Shot,
2.Crazy Jab Stab
3.Ability to get by you, if yours till on the ground that is.
4.Creates separation which is hard to guard especially with his body frame.

dark_angel#8
08-01-2008, 03:08 AM
redd shoots 6 3pointers in a tune game... so it will be fine..

spurhead
08-01-2008, 04:33 AM
stop reading pointless articles...
have common sense and look at our freakin team
we have kobe, carmelo, michael redd, dwayne wade can hit shots
chris bosh can hit shots
dunt wry dude
shooting is probably is one of our strengths

and also we mite not even have to shoot much with lebron driving to the basket everyday and chris paul with unbelievable passes

BTownTeamsRKing
08-01-2008, 08:57 AM
we dont even have to shoot lol

on a side note, i think international rules actually means childrens recreational basketball rules.

every time the USA gets up by more than 16 every call goes against them, but wen the score gets to like 13, the calls are fair.

RapsFan4Life
08-01-2008, 09:24 AM
this is the dumbest thread i have seen in some time, I bet team usa can drive the ball every time not sink one 3 and still beat any team that touches them .. kobe can get to the basket any time coach tells him to .. lebron can get to the basket any time he wants WITH a foul, melo, DW, paul .. omg.. who cares about 3's these guys are un guardable ... there is no way team USA has any concern because they have an X-factor .. CHRIS BOSH !!!! he can sink 2's on you every time

team usa will beat any team without sinking a 3

SHONIE
08-01-2008, 09:30 AM
Can't Lebron dunk from 20 feet 6 inches out?

BTownTeamsRKing
08-01-2008, 09:39 AM
TEAM USA IS THE ****!!!!

so nasty!! its like an all star game every game except USA just kicks *** every game!!!!

this should get way more coverage by the media

BTownTeamsRKing
08-01-2008, 09:49 AM
i am fully convinced the rest of the World sucks compared to team USA.

Wade windmill alley oop!!! is this AND1?

fairandbalanced
08-01-2008, 09:58 AM

Dude, did you see that dunk? whew..............

BTownTeamsRKing
08-01-2008, 10:03 AM
Dude, did you see that dunk? whew..............

oo yeaa along with the other 30 for team USA. hahha

man this should get so much more coverage. team play at its best by lebron, kobe, wade, melo and the rest of the team.

i cant beleive Wade pulled that one...UNBELEIVABLE.

fairandbalanced
08-01-2008, 10:07 AM
oo yeaa along with the other 30 for team USA. hahha

man this should get so much more coverage. team play at its best by lebron, kobe, wade, melo and the rest of the team.

i cant beleive Wade pulled that one...UNBELEIVABLE.

Yea, Kobe continue to prove that he is willing to pass to good players, now I know why he had to take 35shots a game when he had Kwame Brown/Cris Mihm as center. Kobe, Wade, Lebron.......I think all of them are jelling. I also think jason Kid's defense is far superior to Paul and Deron.

BTownTeamsRKing
08-01-2008, 10:12 AM
Yea, Kobe continue to prove that he is willing to pass to good players, now I know why he had to take 35shots a game when he had Kwame Brown/Cris Mihm as center. Kobe, Wade, Lebron.......I think all of them are jelling. I also think jason Kid's defense is far superior to Paul and Deron.

kobe's on ball defense was incredible to start the game. he caused them to have like 8 straight TOs.

no one is beating this team. idk who that color commentator is, but i swear he gives team USA like no credit compared to the other teams. all he does is compliment the international teams.

he said this, "u know Lithuania is a really strong and tough team..." USA was up by 35 at the time without any of the starters in the game.

lithuania is so bad, they cant even dribble the freaken ball without screwing up. i think kids from my neighborhood could beat them.

fairandbalanced
08-01-2008, 10:15 AM
kobe's on ball defense was incredible to start the game. he caused them to have like 8 straight TOs.

no one is beating this team. idk who that color commentator is, but i swear he gives team USA like no credit compared to the other teams. all he does is compliment the international teams.

he said this, "u know Lithuania is a really strong and tough team..." USA was up by 35 at the time without any of the starters in the game.

lithuania is so bad, they can even dribble the freaken ball without screwing up. i think kids from my neighborhood could beat them.

Yea, Kobe shut the guards down in 1st quater, he besically got into their heads plus they could not even D him.

Chi-Town Finest
08-01-2008, 10:16 AM
Anyone know why Prince is on this team???

fairandbalanced
08-01-2008, 10:19 AM
Anyone know why Prince is on this team???

Because the Pistons rated him over Melo. j/k..............He is a tough defensive player, he will be valuable against China and in the Olympic tournament.

CaleX(RR)MIA™
08-01-2008, 10:39 AM

i got off the couch wen i saw it lmao

without a doubt one of if not the best alley oops ive ever seen

BADizzleBoY
08-01-2008, 10:40 AM
how the **** is shooting a concern when we are getting 110+ points every game?

CaleX(RR)MIA™
08-01-2008, 10:41 AM
one problem that the u.s seems to have is guarding the pick and roll

and making good decisions vs the 2-3 zone