PDA

View Full Version : Murphy may need to decide TT fate!

piks2day
07-30-2008, 01:08 PM
Mark Murphy may have to make some decisions as it relates to Ted Thompson and his future as the GM of the Pack. From the standpoint of a manager it is very difficult to understand what TT is doing. I understand that you want to set a standard that will not allow for players to dictate to the managemet team how things are done. Ok, understood. The management staff may have all been in agreement about the direction of the team post retirement notice from Brett and rightfully so. The guy retired...move on. Draft some talent, name Aaron as the starter, and TT dream comes true. Nobody saw this coming and now TT has made himself and the organization look very awkward. My gut feeling is that McCarthy, Murphy and the board may be feeling that this is gone too far and TT ego may need a shot. How will any players in the future be able to trust anything that he has said? What level of respect will he actually be able to maintain? What talent is going to ever wnat to come to Green bay again if he is here? Murphy has to be asking himself these questions. Granted, Brett had some things to do with this too and he is far from being all inocent in this as well. But when the day is done and this all goes by the wayside, TT will not be able to carry on a respectful GM position if this blows up in his face.

And anybody hear that Ron Wolf all of the sudden has moved back to Green bay last month? Wouldn't that be something..... Now that is wishful thinking...

BrewCityBuck
07-30-2008, 01:16 PM
Ted Thompson's been ridiculously direct and open about his vision for the Packers, he's stuck to his plan, he's helped build a very interesting young team over the last few seasons.

To blame Ted Thompson for this entire situation or to say it's his fault this is such an awkward situation is utterly ridiculous.

Ted Thompson's future with this team is not in doubt, nor should it be.

newdude
07-30-2008, 01:48 PM
Ted Thompson's been ridiculously direct and open about his vision for the Packers, he's stuck to his plan, he's helped build a very interesting young team over the last few seasons.

To blame Ted Thompson for this entire situation or to say it's his fault this is such an awkward situation is utterly ridiculous.

Ted Thompson's future with this team is not in doubt, nor should it be.

Not all of this is his fault, but he is a big part of the problem. And he had been open about wanting to "move on," but he is not showing it by his actions.

DOCTORAPK
07-30-2008, 05:05 PM
I agree with your unenthusiastic asessment of Ted. I foresee free agents in the future absoultely refusing to even answer an email from the Packers after seeing the way the GM treats those who disagree with him. Ted's a bad fit for this job.

darwin31
07-30-2008, 05:41 PM
In my opinion, the point to all of this is that as a Manager of anything, its nice to have a plan or vision for the future, any schmoo can have one. You have to remain flexible when things dont go as planned. Thompson has not done this. You have to do what is best for the success of your business, Thompson has not done this. And you have to set an example for those under you by conducting yourself in an ethical, professional manner and he has not done that.

From a decision standpoint, I actually agree with his decision to move on from Favre. He has just bungled this situation from every point imaginable.

bucksbeat
07-30-2008, 08:31 PM
It's too early to decide Ted Thompson's fate. However, if his guy (Rodgers) fails and the ex-guy (Favre) succeeds with another team I wouldn't want to be in Ted Thompson's shoes.

In some cases Favre has come off as the bad guy but he isn't the one holding the situation up. Brett agreed not to report to camp on Sunday because Thompson wanted a couple of days to end the situation. It's now Wednesday evening. Favre wants to play, make a decision Ted. If Rodgers is your guy take the best offer on the table that Favre agrees to and run with it.