PDA

View Full Version : Ramirez for Beckett in hindsight

Lord Byron 34
07-30-2008, 12:06 AM
Just an interesting thought.

If you could travel back in time and un-do the Hanley Ramirez, Anibal Sanchez, etc. for Josh Beckett, Mike Lowell trade, knowing what we know now, would you?

And another question. Wasn't this one of the trades made while Theo was in hiding (I thought it was but I'm not sure)? If it was, do you think Theo would have pulled the trigger?

PapelbonLester
07-30-2008, 12:14 AM
haha thats right we had some old dude make the moves for like 2 months and this was his trade. DEFFENTLY take the ace and the world series mvp over hanley and no good sanchez

sboyajian
07-30-2008, 07:34 AM
Would I go back and undo it? No.

Without Lowell and Beckett there would have been no WS 2007. Period.

The Intimidator
07-30-2008, 08:16 AM
Exactly. Until Florida wins a W.S. with Ramirez, we have the upper hand.

ZHawk1123
07-30-2008, 08:17 AM
Theo was still providing information and running things while he was "gone"...

Bwangster12
07-30-2008, 09:33 AM
As a Yankee fan I think back to this move all the time. After seeing what Hanley is becoming, was this a good move. In retrospect, I can't imagine someone saying it wasn't a great move for the Red Sox. Maybe more than anyone else, Beckett is responsible for 2 titles for you guys. Yes, Hanley is becoming a freak, but would the Sox have won those two titles with Hanley at SS and a lesser pitcher they might have acquired on the mound?

Its funny how SS seems to be the Red Sox problem position for so many years now... and Hanley Ramirez is a superstar.

marlinsfan24
07-30-2008, 09:38 AM
If I were the Red Sox, I wouldn't go back and undo this deal. Same for the Fish. Both teams got equal value, and this was one of the most fair trades I've seen in a while.
While Hanley is a superstar SS, pitching is more important to winning.

Brooke
07-30-2008, 09:45 AM
I wouldn't go back and undo it. as someone said if we didn't have Beckett and Lowell we wouldnt have won the WS

poppapuh86
07-30-2008, 09:47 AM
he aided in 1 schilling aided in the 1st title in 04

i would do thius trade over and over again any day. lowell has been incredible since joining our team with his glove, attitude and surprisingly his bat as well.

Bwangster12
07-30-2008, 09:57 AM
he aided in 1 schilling aided in the 1st title in 04

i would do thius trade over and over again any day. lowell has been incredible since joining our team with his glove, attitude and surprisingly his bat as well.

I don't think you can break it down to... Beckett gave us 1 title and Schilling gave us the other.

Like a number of guys... I don't think you win either without Beckett in the rotation.

lil'papi
07-30-2008, 11:01 AM
As a Yankee fan I think back to this move all the time. After seeing what Hanley is becoming, was this a good move. In retrospect, I can't imagine someone saying it wasn't a great move for the Red Sox. Maybe more than anyone else, Beckett is responsible for 2 titles for you guys. Yes, Hanley is becoming a freak, but would the Sox have won those two titles with Hanley at SS and a lesser pitcher they might have acquired on the mound?

Its funny how SS seems to be the Red Sox problem position for so many years now... and Hanley Ramirez is a superstar.

Was Beckett in our rotation in 04?

WhyDuquette
07-30-2008, 11:27 AM
Never

we already won a ring, why change that?

beckett cud blow out his arm tmrw and lowell cud retire

and id still be good

SHONIE
07-30-2008, 11:39 AM
hell no I wouldn't undo it

Ewagner
07-30-2008, 12:03 PM
I personally am still up in the air about this. yes the WS is key in the conversation and beckett is a stud. but lets not forget beckett was going to be a free agent. we would have had to bid heavily and might have had to pay more than we are now but we wouldn't have lowell's contract to worry about. on top of that ramirez we be our SS, youk would be at third, and i'm sure we could have found a solid 1B with the money we paid lugo to suck it up for us. as for sanchez, lets not forget he is a stud. he had a no-hitter before lester and buchholz. look at all the arms on that marlins staff from the year girardi was there. he killed them all. that's why i was thrilled when he went to the yankees because he will do the same to all those young arms to.

BigPapi04
07-30-2008, 12:26 PM
SS dont win world series, Josh Beckett does. Every game that we needed to win, he was on the mound and he was unhittable. Hanley is turning out to be a great player, but its a team game, and I will take Mike Lowell and Josh Beckett in that deal any day of the week. Not even a question, A good shortstop can always be found, but a lights out pitcher in the playoffs is hard to come by.

PapelbonLester
07-30-2008, 01:01 PM
Never

we already won a ring, why change that?

beckett cud blow out his arm tmrw and lowell cud retire

and id still be good

AGREED :clap:

Tragedy
07-30-2008, 02:38 PM
If I'm either team, I don't undo this deal.

Each team got what they desperately needed. A fantastic Beckett in 2007 (Good in 2008), who helped us to a World Series, along with a solid 3B that will, by the end of his contract, spend 5 years on this team. In return, the Marlins are getting a premier young SS in Hanley Ramirez who will likely be the franchise player for years to come.

Win-win.

RedSoxtober
07-30-2008, 03:09 PM
Will we have to bring this up every winter/trade season?