PDA

View Full Version : ex cubs update

BigBruceRogers
07-29-2008, 11:56 PM
Was looking around at some other ex-cubs, not just the recent trades to see how they are faring and if it did well for us.

Well, looks like Corey Patterson is sucking it up again with Dusty Baker. He has .184 avg 6hr and 10sb with 5 cs. Not a pretty line... it seems like we are better off without both Patterson brothers.

Good ol' Jacque "JJ" Jones is doing worse surprisingly with a .147 avg and 1hr. How was a guy like this ever on our team? He's not with Detroit anymore... Neifi was hitting .172 with the Tigers but he seems to have disappeared - another suspension from drugs I guess?

LaTroy Hawkins isn't doing too hot in NY at the moment with a 5.71 ERA in 40+ IP. I was hoping he would rebound as he did well in Colorado, but maybe going to a tough hitters league was not a good idea for him. As an aside, Jerome Williams doesn't seem to be in majors anymore.

So, really - when was the last trade we made where it hurt is in the long run? It seems like everyone we package off in deals turns out to be garbage. Bobby Hill - bust, Hee Seop Choi - bust, etc. I can't think of anyone since Dontrelle Willis and nobody saw him becoming any good - and he isn't anymore!!! So yeah, looks like JH is making some good trades with all of our past players in the crapper.

homestarunner93
07-30-2008, 12:04 AM
Jon Garland deal has to be our last horrible deal.

Brooklyn22
07-30-2008, 12:20 AM
Well that was bad but lets not forget the Juan Pierre deal. Yeah Sergio Mitre was not all that great, but Ricky Nolasco and Rey Pinto have been pretty good for them.

homestarunner93
07-30-2008, 12:27 AM
Well that was bad but lets not forget the Juan Pierre deal. Yeah Sergio Mitre was not all that great, but Ricky Nolasco and Rey Pinto have been pretty good for them.

Yeah, that one was bad, but I still think the Garland one was worse. Garland is a front of the rotation starter (2 or 3). Pinto is a good reliever, and maybe Nolasco will be a 3rd starter soon. But right now, gotta be the Garland deal.

NORTH10
07-30-2008, 02:47 AM
wat year did we trade garland and for who?

nbt
07-30-2008, 04:31 AM
1998; For RP Matt Karchner with a gaudy 5.14 ERA down the stretch for the Cubs. Ed Lynch was the GM.

poodski
07-30-2008, 07:54 AM
Well, looks like Corey Patterson is sucking it up again with Dusty Baker. He has .184 avg 6hr and 10sb with 5 cs. Not a pretty line... it seems like we are better off without both Patterson brothers.

Dusty ruined him originally. No reason to think he could fix him.

Good ol' Jacque "JJ" Jones is doing worse surprisingly with a .147 avg and 1hr. How was a guy like this ever on our team? He's not with Detroit anymore...

JJ helped us out quite a bit the last 2 years. A 108 and 87 OPS+ isnt exactly horrible. He was a huge help last year in the second half with a 832 OPS as well.

I hate to say it but I bet JJ was on steroids. 23 HRs 4 of the 5 previous years and then dropped to only 5 last year and then down to only 1 this year.

I would say its pretty safe to say. He shouldnt have fallen apart thats fast at 32 yrs of age.

Cub_StuckinSTL
07-30-2008, 09:48 AM
Lol this thread coming from the same guy who complained about wrigs making the one about gally, murt, and epatt

BDawk4Prez
07-30-2008, 09:52 AM
Whatever happened to Jose Macias? Sniper attack maybe?

SmthBluCitrus
07-30-2008, 10:07 AM
Whatever happened to Jerome Williams (the pitcher that wore the puka shell necklace)?

poodski
07-30-2008, 10:12 AM
Whatever happened to Jose Macias? Sniper attack maybe?

He played over in Japan in 06. http://www.japanesebaseball.com/players/player.jsp?PlayerID=2039

Nothing since.

Buckwheat
07-30-2008, 10:13 AM
Whatever happened to Jerome Williams (the pitcher that wore the puka shell necklace)?

went to Oakland, Nationals, Twins, and now in the Dodgers minors.

poodski
07-30-2008, 10:14 AM

Was in the Dodgers system earlier this year.

Kirel
07-30-2008, 10:15 AM
Cubs lost him to the Phillies via Waivers, apparently they released him as he signed with the Nationals and pitched in the majors for a while in '07(30 innings, 7.20 ERA), then was apparently released again and signed by the Twins, and he's thrown 12 innings at A and AAA for the Dodgers this year.

behindmydesk
07-30-2008, 10:26 AM
whatever happend to longtime 1st baseman Mark Grace? I can't seem to figure out where he went.

Is he in the HOF yet?

poodski
07-30-2008, 10:38 AM
whatever happend to longtime 1st baseman Mark Grace? I can't seem to figure out where he went.

Is he in the HOF yet?

That color hurts my eyes.

SmthBluCitrus
07-30-2008, 10:39 AM
went to Oakland, Nationals, Twins, and now in the Dodgers minors.

Was in the Dodgers system earlier this year.

Cubs lost him to the Phillies via Waivers, apparently they released him as he signed with the Nationals and pitched in the majors for a while in '07(30 innings, 7.20 ERA), then was apparently released again and signed by the Twins, and he's thrown 12 innings at A and AAA for the Dodgers this year.

behindmydesk
07-30-2008, 10:40 AM

That's you

Cub_StuckinSTL
07-30-2008, 10:44 AM

BMD thinks he's funny

poodski
07-30-2008, 10:47 AM
That's you

Over/under days til that gets old: 1.5

CubsRule08
07-30-2008, 01:11 PM
Was looking around at some other ex-cubs, not just the recent trades to see how they are faring and if it did well for us.

Good ol' Jacque "JJ" Jones is doing worse surprisingly with a .147 avg and 1hr. How was a guy like this ever on our team? He's not with Detroit anymore... Neifi was hitting .172 with the Tigers but he seems to have disappeared - another suspension from drugs I guess?

LaTroy Hawkins isn't doing too hot in NY at the moment with a 5.71 ERA in 40+ IP. I was hoping he would rebound as he did well in Colorado, but maybe going to a tough hitters league was not a good idea for him. As an aside, Jerome Williams doesn't seem to be in majors anymore.

So, really - when was the last trade we made where it hurt is in the long run? It seems like everyone we package off in deals turns out to be garbage. Bobby Hill - bust, Hee Seop Choi - bust, etc. I can't think of anyone since Dontrelle Willis and nobody saw him becoming any good - and he isn't anymore!!! So yeah, looks like JH is making some good trades with all of our past players in the crapper.

Wow...you call out a Mod for creating an EX-CUBS thread, and yet you do the same :pity:

guru
07-30-2008, 04:03 PM
What ever happened to Brant Brown or that first baseman Julio Zuleta?

CubsKnight
07-30-2008, 04:15 PM
Hey, Jacque Jones was a big reason we made it to the playoffs last year. He hit .332 the second half, he hit .424 with 2 outs and RISP, he hit .340 against STL. Poor guy, I don't think he was a great fit for the team, but he didn't deserve to be run out of the city like that.

cubswoo
07-30-2008, 04:16 PM
What ever happened to Brant Brown or that first baseman Julio Zuleta?

Zuleta is a big star in Japan, still a beast who can hit the ball a mile but don't know if he ever learned to hit the curve ball? If ever there was a real life Pedro Cerrano Julio Zuleta was him.
I saw Brant Brown a couple of years ago playing for the Schaumberg Flyers.

dyceman
07-30-2008, 04:19 PM

Is he in the HOF yet?

Nice color..is that chartreuse or key lime green?

behindmydesk
07-30-2008, 04:22 PM
Nice color..is that chartreuse or key lime green?

it's bmd awesome color.

Patent pending.

windycityD
07-30-2008, 04:32 PM

Ricky Nolasco ring a bell?

CubFanSince84
07-30-2008, 04:42 PM
you're forgetting about gary matthews jr, he turned out to be pretty good...at least, the angels think so, and they are on of the best teams in baseball......

Dmac
07-30-2008, 08:46 PM
What, no fast Freddy Bynum update?

hawkeyefootball
07-30-2008, 08:51 PM
you're forgetting about gary matthews jr, he turned out to be pretty good...at least, the angels think so, and they are on of the best teams in baseball......

No, the Angels don't think so, the Angels don't want him.