PDA

View Full Version : Artest traded to Houston!

The83rdWonder
07-29-2008, 08:11 PM
n what had been a quiet offseason, the Rockets are about to make a lot of noise.

In a stunning move designed to push the Rockets from solid playoff team toward legitimate NBA contenders, the Rockets reached agreement Tuesday with the Sacramento Kings to acquire gifted but controversial forward Ron Artest, according to an NBA executive with knowledge of the deal.

The Rockets will give up guard Bobby Jackson, a No. 1 draft pick next season and another player that the individual with knowledge of the trade could not name. Rockets general manager Daryl Morey could not be immediately reached for comment.

Because of contract considerations, the trade will not be announced until Aug. 14, though that would indicate the deal could include Rockets’ first round draft pick Donte’ Green. Green is not permitted to be traded until then, one month from when he signed with the Rockets.

There could also be other players involved to make the money match but none that the Rockets would plan to keep. The Rockets will also send the Kings cash in excess of $1 million.

Artest, 28, is considered one of the NBA’s most unpredictable characters and was the central figure in a 2004-05 brawl with fans in Auburn Hills, Mich. He is also considered among the league’s toughest lock-down defenders and sometimes, an unstoppable offensive force.

The 39 points he scored against the Rockets in 2006-07 season are his career high.

A 6-7, 248 pound forward, he had publicly lamented his decision last month not to opt out of the last season of his contract to become a free agent, renewing the Kings’ efforts to move him.

Artest played 40 games for Rockets coach Rick Adelman after he was traded by the Indiana Pacers to the Kings in the 2005-06 season, averaging 16.9 points, 5.2 rebounds and a career-high 4.2 assists. He was also a first-team NBA All-Defensive team selection. He offered to donate his salary if the Kings were willing to retain Adelman after that season.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5914062.html

In Morey I trust!

Renovator
07-29-2008, 08:16 PM
What is this fascination with Artest? Stop making up rubbish. Wheres the link?

Ha Ha. Not a bad written article, almost convincing.

rocketfuel
07-29-2008, 08:18 PM
Holy crap. It's true. After first, I had to check around to see if it was for real before I wanted to comment.... by the time I came back, you guys inserted a link. :D

Renovator
07-29-2008, 08:22 PM

Holy Crap. Its true. Well tthe heading is 'Ron Artest set for deal to Rockets".
This is a bad move by the Rockets, there goes team chemistry out he door. This is going to be hell I tell you hell if the deal falls through. Who knows what kinda trouble he will bering here. If this falls through then we need guys like DeKe and Horry on the team to balance out the negative force artest will bring with him.

I hope someone changes their mind and the deal falls thorugh. I hate Artest with a passion. I hope we dont give up Scola or Battier.

rocketfuel
07-29-2008, 08:26 PM
Man, Morey just impresses the hell out of me. Last year with Scola, Landry and Brooks while getting rid of all the old useless players that Dawson acquired, then he quietly pulls off one of the most coveted players out there right now.... I hate to lose Greene, but Artest would really boost this team RIGHT NOW.

Yao/(Mutombo?)
Scola/(Landry?)/Dorsey/Hayes
Artest/Battier
Tmac/Barry/Head
Alston/Brooks/Francis

Leunan....

So, now we basically have 3 all-stars (sometimes Artest is an allstar) with Scola and Battier being excpetionally good super role players. I like. I like it A LOT. :D

Dunlap
07-29-2008, 08:27 PM

Dunlap
07-29-2008, 08:28 PM
man i just found this and made a thread...

Renovator
So, now we basically have 3 all-stars (sometimes Artest is an allstar) with Scola and Battier being excpetionally good super role players. I like. I like it A LOT. :D

Scola or Battier might be included in the deal.

MiamiHeat
this has been posted

Renovator
07-29-2008, 08:29 PM
man i just found this and made a thread...

Too late pal, 83rdWonder beat you to it.

Dunlap
07-29-2008, 08:30 PM
i doubt it cuz jacksons contract= artests.

what would we do with battier?

Dunlap
07-29-2008, 08:32 PM
ya i no they beat me by a minute

The83rdWonder
07-29-2008, 08:32 PM
Sorry I didn't include the link earlier, I was a bit caught up in the moment.

bball1217
07-29-2008, 08:34 PM
YES. People who say chemistry is gone, not so true. We still have most of everyone from last year and Shane Battier.
If we do this trade: Artest for Jackson, Future 1st rounder, Greene or Novak and Hayes or Harris

The lineup could be something like:
Alston/Brooks
McGrady/Barry/Battier
Artest/Battier/Greene or Novak
Scola/Landry/Battier
Yao/Mutumbo/Dorsey

Not bad, there is still great chemistry. Also remember that Artest loved playing for Adelman and did not get in trouble when playing for him.

rocketfuel
07-29-2008, 08:36 PM

No way do I want to lose Scola.... Does Bobby Jackson's contract come close to matching Artest's?

Dunlap
07-29-2008, 08:38 PM
they r pretty much the same

bball1217
07-29-2008, 08:38 PM

It did not say that in the article, plus the salary would not work with Jackson and Battier or Scola, unless we are getting more players from the Kings.
It will probably be Jackson, Future 1ST and Greene for Artest.

DontNOMuch
07-29-2008, 08:50 PM
Artest use to play some PF at Indiana, no? Imagine Artest with Battier together on the court...

Jay22Redd
07-29-2008, 08:50 PM
they r pretty much the same

how are the rockets the same with an addition of Ron Artest.

Rafer/Brooks/Francis
T-Mac/Barry
Artest/Battier/Greene(if not included...hope not)
Scola/Landry/Dorsey/Novak
Yao/Dorsey/Deke

Rox07
07-29-2008, 08:53 PM
I LOVE MOREY!!! How does he do this shyt!! We got artest for jackson and greene! wow what a badass trade!!

grega1976
07-29-2008, 08:54 PM
how are the rockets the same with an addition of Ron Artest.

Rafer/Brooks/Francis
T-Mac/Barry
Yao/Dorsey/Deke

he was saying BJax contract and Artests contract were about the same..

rocketfuel
07-29-2008, 08:54 PM
What ever happens Morey sure has made it fun to watch Rockets basket again..... at least there's a sense that we have some major talent on the floor..... Most likely, we'd have to lose Greene as the article says....

Yao/Mutombo?
Scola/Landry?/Dorsey/Hayes/Harris
Artest/Battier
Tmac/Barry/Head
Alston/Brooks/Francis

Novak?, Leunan....
We still have quite a few power forwards... Do you think Morey can swing a deal of some of our power forwards for someone good? Morey goes about things very quietly....they seem to just happen suddenly, without too much in the press beforehand until it's pretty much set.

RocketsRule
07-29-2008, 08:56 PM
The Houston Chronicle is reporting that Ron Artest is headed for Houston. And according to a source close to the Kings, the reported deal is well on its way to taking place.
The Kings would receive Bobby Jackson, a future first-round draft pick, and recent first-round draft pick Donte Green. There could also be other players involved to make the deal work. Kings basketball president Geoff Petrie had this to say in a statement.
"We've had some very positive discussions with Houston involving Ron, but no trade is imminent at this time," Petrie said . - Sam Amick

Via SacBee (http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/sports/kings/)

So Bobby Jackson + Donte Green + 1st round Pick + filler (possibly) for Artest

Kings Faithful
07-29-2008, 08:59 PM
The trade according to Petrie is Jackson+Greene+1st+(possible filler) for Artest....and according to him they are in positive talks with the Rockets..so not official yet.

rocketfuel
07-29-2008, 09:00 PM
I LOVE MOREY!!! How does he do this shyt!! We got artest for jackson and greene! wow what a badass trade!!

No kidding. How does he do it? I love Morey too. ;) Can you imagine what our defense will be like now? We basically can smother guys with a double dose of Battier and Artest...maybe even Tmac.... Artest can go full throttle and then take a set, tag out and Battier can tag in and go full throttle. They could even be together on the floor smothering guys like Kobe, Pierce and Wade.

rocketfuel
07-29-2008, 09:02 PM
How high is the first rounder?

ABOMB_56
07-29-2008, 09:06 PM
How high is the first rounder?

Whatever the Rockets record is that year... Most likely it will be a low 1st round pick and maybe even the last pick if they win it all :pray:

stevefrancis
07-29-2008, 09:07 PM
omg yes man finally we got him forget those ai trade rumors

Crzycjunx76
07-29-2008, 09:10 PM
With any luck itll be the last pick of the first round!

Man this trade could go either way... Greene could wind up a hell of a player and Artest could self destruct... or we could wind up the favorite in the West and possible NBA champ. Either way I like the deal (even if im not the biggest Artest fan) because we were a good team with some future tallent but the goal is not just to be good... its to be the best and if we had stayed status quo we would have been a longshot for a title at best.

TMacIsNumba1
07-29-2008, 09:18 PM
No, this is NOT a bad move by the ROCKETS. FINALLY a LEGITIMATE 3rd Scorer! I've been saying for the last year, the Rockets needed one and here we go. He likes Adelman, always played well under him his years in SAC so I think he can keep his head on right.

Now we have 2 of the top 3 BEST perimeter defensive players in Basketball. NOW all TMac has to do is concentrate on offense. Battier will come off the bench and be the 6th man. Makes our team that much deeper. NOW we have a guy to be on the court who can score when Yao or TMac need the rest, or if one of them gets injured.

Morey you surprised me, props to you. NOW I'm stoked for next year. :clap:

On a side note I hope they can somehow keep Donte Green, I like him.

Brun"DMC"
07-29-2008, 09:23 PM
Thank You God for making this happen. I bleed Rockets red and am very pleasant to hear we finally landed a legitimate third option. Thank God once again, I can't wait to sit back and enjoy the ride for the 2008-2009 season..

IndyFan
07-29-2008, 09:25 PM
Artest use to play some PF at Indiana, no? Imagine Artest with Battier together on the court...

artest is a much better SF than PF. he can [and has] played PF. he is stong enough, but a little short. guys can shoot over him. artest and battier will make a good combination especially with yao.

:)

KnickVeteran
07-29-2008, 09:26 PM
congratulations rocket fans!!!! nice trade.

Renovator
Do you guys think we will be able to sign him next season? I dont think so. I also think his attitude will have a negative impact on our current players, he will hurt the tight chemistry which currently exists.

Anyway this deal isnt ofiicial yet, they are just talking about it.

I wonder if the thought of Artest joining the team will get Landry keen to signup.

G2BOAT
Wow this is a great deal especially getting rid of Jackson and getting Artest. :clap:

nickymintz
07-29-2008, 09:29 PM
Morey continues to impress me.
Now if we can get a backup point guard and backup center and hopefully sign back Landry, there is no doubt in my mind that we will make it out of the 1st round.

goku
07-29-2008, 09:35 PM
BEASTIN already

NDP1981
07-29-2008, 09:40 PM
Wow you guys sure bent over Sac-town in this one, good job! lol

Jay22Redd
Morey takes one step at a time and does it slowly. This is a good trade. Now I really hope we make the playoffs and go past the first round. We gotta be like Morey rockets fans.

Be Patient!
Find An Opening!
Go For It!

I really hope we dont lose Greene. I like the kid alot.

Rhyming Rebel
2008-2009 Champions

stevefrancis
07-29-2008, 09:42 PM
i love this morey guy if i was a girl ill sleep with him thats how happy i am. tmac must be happy no more defense for him battier and artest guard the 2 best players so tmac guards the 3rd-5th best players.

YAOMING4MVP
07-29-2008, 09:43 PM
Morey takes one step at a time and does it slowly. This is a good trade. Now I really hope we make the playoffs and go past the first round. We gotta be like Morey rockets fans.

Be Patient!
Find An Opening!
Go For It!

I really hope we dont lose Greene. I like the kid alot.

This is why we are Clutch City. This was a great trade. Love to keep Greene. Rather trade Head,Brooks,Novak or Dorsey.

goku
07-29-2008, 09:43 PM
wwwwwwwwwooooooooooooooowwwww

YAOMING4MVP
07-29-2008, 09:44 PM
2008-2009 Champions

like your Sig.

showtym24
07-29-2008, 09:44 PM
2008-2009 Champions

lol thats funny theres a reason u guys gave up just a late draft pick and jackson for him.

IndyFan
07-29-2008, 09:45 PM
:clap:

rockets will like artest. he will make the team the toughest guys on the block.

:)

Rhyming Rebel
07-29-2008, 09:46 PM
i love this morey guy if i was a girl ill sleep with him thats how happy i am. tmac must be happy no more defense for him battier and artest guard the 2 best players so tmac guards the 3rd-5th best players.

I dont know if im that happy

Jay22Redd
07-29-2008, 09:55 PM
I dont know if im that happy

lmao :laugh:

Love your sig...teach me

bullsriver23
07-29-2008, 09:57 PM
If is true is a great, great, great deal for the Rockets.

Good for Luisito Scola.

Is one of the teams I like with the Spurs and Bulls.

goku
07-29-2008, 09:58 PM
its about time i really believe now

*Superman*
07-29-2008, 09:58 PM
Wow, you guys ****ed Sac over bad. A new Big 3 is born.LOL

Manos
07-29-2008, 09:59 PM
lol thats funny theres a reason u guys gave up just a late draft pick and jackson for him.

Yeah, the Lakers had no interest in him....:rolleyes:

Anyways... This is a huge deal for the Rockets!!! HUGE! Being able to keep Battier and add Artest is unbelievable.

Bobby Jackson $6,987,888
Ron Artest $7,400,000
The difference is 412,112
Novak and Greene are the only two that make money close to what the difference is, (Novak $797,581, Greene $971,160)
So odds are one of those two are the ones to go in this trade.

Morey RULES.

:dance:

goku
07-29-2008, 10:07 PM
Yes He Does

fabian11593
07-29-2008, 10:09 PM
I don't think Scola really isn't that good. Scola, Jackson, Greene and pick for Artest.

alexander_37
07-29-2008, 10:15 PM
scola is beastin for a 27 year old rookie hes only getting better

BoSelecta!!!
07-29-2008, 10:18 PM
Yeah, the Lakers had no interest in him....:rolleyes:

Anyways... This is a huge deal for the Rockets!!! HUGE! Being able to keep Battier and add Artest is unbelievable.

Bobby Jackson $6,987,888
Ron Artest $7,400,000
The difference is 412,112
Novak and Greene are the only two that make money close to what the difference is, (Novak $797,581, Greene $971,160)
So odds are one of those two are the ones to go in this trade.

Morey RULES.

:dance:

fuking hell, didnt know bobby worths that much money........

Crzycjunx76
07-29-2008, 10:19 PM
well the total contracts we send could total up to 10% more than 7,400,000
Soooo.
7,400,000x 1.10= 8,140,000
8,140,000- 6,987,888= 1,152,112

So the only players who could be involved in the trade would be Novak, Greene, Harris, Dorsey, or Brooks. Any of those 5 make enough to fit into the deal without breaking it. However Leunen, Eliyahu, Lishouk, and Newly are players who we own the rights to but havent signed and any or all of these players could be involved in the trade with no penalties.

Driven
07-29-2008, 10:26 PM
Wait so what did we give up?

MADspartan
07-29-2008, 10:27 PM
Wow, as soon as I red the title of this thread I thought Battier was gone. And we're getting rid of BJax and Greene (who really didn't impress me too much in the summer league bc he was innconsistent), and we also get to keep Dorsey (I hope). Awesome MOrey, just awesome.

DontNOMuch
07-29-2008, 10:28 PM
We gave up Bobby Jackson, Greene and 2009 1st pick

Driven
07-29-2008, 10:28 PM
We could still get Iverson if we wanted, lol.

Driven
07-29-2008, 10:29 PM
Holy **** guys!

chadillachembre
07-29-2008, 10:38 PM
you guys are gonna be amazing this season. a great blend of offense to defense, great rebounding, great leadership, pretty good bench, pretty tough inside the middle. you guys might win the west. i am impressed by the houston rockets. how did they get him for so little? sac-town has had better offers for artest i wonder why they settled for this deal? yall probably dont care. your just happy ya got him

Driven
07-29-2008, 10:44 PM
Wow, as soon as I red the title of this thread I thought Battier was gone. And we're getting rid of BJax and Greene (who really didn't impress me too much in the summer league bc he was innconsistent), and we also get to keep Dorsey (I hope). Awesome MOrey, just awesome.

fuking hell, didnt know bobby worths that much money........

Holy crap. It's true. After first, I had to check around to see if it was for real before I wanted to comment.... by the time I came back, you guys inserted a link. :D

You guys still post here? I hardly come into this forum anymore. Great to see you guys still posting here!

Storch
07-29-2008, 10:47 PM
Why would the Rockets want Artest...? This is something that came out of nowhere. Now they have battier and artest sharing minutes. :pity:

Russjr2
07-29-2008, 10:49 PM
WOW! We have to have the best GM in the league. What a move. Stock piled expiring contracts and potential talent to bring in a guy like Artest. We add to our already good core group. He will bring scoring, defense, and intensity to the team. He knows the system and just wants to win. T-Mac and Yao are willing passers so getting shots should not be a issue with our big 3. Bringing back 1player (essentially) for 2 also opens up another roster spot. Giving up next years #1 wont be so bad because it would have been in the upper 20s anyway. I feel bad for Kobe, Manu, and Dirk. Battier and Ron-Ron will be shutting all that down!!!!!

Is Morey done???

pippsux
07-29-2008, 10:49 PM
I was about to take a nap after talking to my squeeze and watching the bank job. I was going to take a nice nap after a long day, when the computer called my name and I answered clicked on my computer and saw Artest to Houston............OH MYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYGOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD DDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Morey is the motha f@ckin truth!!!! Artest has been all I have asked and begged for everynight and my prayers have been answered. I am so happy I am about to wet myself.

Driven
07-29-2008, 10:51 PM
Why would the Rockets want Artest...? This is something that came out of nowhere. Now they have battier and artest sharing minutes. :pity:
Oh, that's horrible! I'd rather have Bobby Jackson sharing minutes!

Driven
07-29-2008, 10:51 PM
WOW! We have to have the best GM in the league. What a move. Stock piled expiring contracts and potential talent to bring in a guy like Artest. We add to our already good core group. He will bring scoring, defense, and intensity to the team. He knows the system and just wants to win. T-Mac and Yao are willing passers so getting shots should not be a issue with our big 3. Bringing back 1player (essentially) for 2 also opens up another roster spot. Giving up next years #1 wont be so bad because it would have been in the upper 20s anyway. I feel bad for Kobe, Manu, and Dirk. Battier and Ron-Ron will be shutting all that down!!!!!

Is Morey done???
You still post here too? Wooo

TrueFan23
07-29-2008, 10:52 PM

now if that happend the rockets would for dure win the west with 4 all-stars on one team

-AI
-Tmac
-ron ron
-anyone
-Yao

TrueFan23
07-29-2008, 10:53 PM

now they can trade battier for a PG, im not sure if u guys like jamal tinsely or maybe raymond felton could be possibilities

FOBolous
07-29-2008, 10:57 PM
Do you guys think we will be able to sign him next season? I dont think so. I also think his attitude will have a negative impact on our current players, he will hurt the tight chemistry which currently exists.

Anyway this deal isnt ofiicial yet, they are just talking about it.

I wonder if the thought of Artest joining the team will get Landry keen to signup.

i don't think Artest will hurt our chemistry. He has an unpredictable and volatile personality but he plays with his heart on the court. Plus we have more than enough good nature, upstanding, veteran players on our team to counter-act whatever negative influence Artest may bring...not to mention the fact that Adleman is one of Artest's favorite coaches.

FOBolous
07-29-2008, 11:02 PM

now that we have Artest...i kinda don't want AI anymore because if we get AI, we won't have enough ball to go around with Tmac, Artest, and Yao on the team.

goku
07-29-2008, 11:03 PM
Clutch City Returns

DontNOMuch
07-29-2008, 11:03 PM

Artest and Battier can play together when the team goes to small. Like Scola plays C, Artest plays PF and Battier plays SF

tripleplay2007
07-29-2008, 11:09 PM
We are a top 5 team in the West now for sure....

Jay22Redd
07-29-2008, 11:15 PM

Is Morey done???

Hopefully not. We need a good backup point

pippsux
07-29-2008, 11:16 PM
This has to be one of the most decisive off seasons I can remember. Not only did we get Barry but we added Artest to the mix. Wow! Morey is a patient man and he gets it done. What a team... Tmac, Yao, Scola, Alston, Battier, Barry, Artest, Brooks, Dorsey or Landry. And if Francis can come to camp in the best shape of his life and be willing to play hard and smart, throw his name in there and we have a very tough team. Way to go Morey.

richardle9
07-29-2008, 11:17 PM
holy **** im so happy right now!!!!!!!!! i am horny just thinking about this season!!!! holy ****!!! morey is the man i bow down to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jay22Redd
07-29-2008, 11:20 PM
too for richardle9 lol

Driven
07-29-2008, 11:20 PM
holy **** im so happy right now!!!!!!!!! i am horny just thinking about this season!!!! holy ****!!! morey is the man i bow down to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am horny too from this!!!! do you want to have sex?!?

FOBolous
07-29-2008, 11:21 PM
ok...this thread is turning gay. literally. :p

DontNOMuch
07-29-2008, 11:28 PM
oh my eyes, my eyes~

goku
07-30-2008, 12:05 AM
no homo guys lol

mindofsports82
07-30-2008, 12:17 AM
Okay so first off, I can't believe this happened.
Second, there are some dumb things being said on here.
How are people (renovator) doubting the trade will happen? It's already an agreement, the logistics just have to be figured out. And to doubt this trade? Just stupid. You bring the third option we finally needed, and now have the best defense in basketball. And for what? An expiring contract (Jackson), a draft pick (which will end up 25 or after) and Greene. Ridiculous. We just need a backup point guard now, but even if not this team is nuts. And its not one of the top 5 in the west, its one of the top 2 now. And whoever said Scola isn't good should take a bath with a hair dryer. I am done for now.

garlicboy
07-30-2008, 12:23 AM
Personally, I think you guys gave up too much for Artest who's expiring after this season.

Bobby Jackson isn't dogmeat, and Greene is really nice looking prospect. Too add a 1st too the deal was insane.

With Joey Dorsey and Artest, and problems signing Landry, I thought you guys could have just traded Landry pick and others.

JordansBulls
07-30-2008, 12:28 AM
I always felt the Rockets would be in the finals next year and now I am assured of it.

rancid8937
07-30-2008, 12:37 AM
I litterly stopped in tracks when I heard it on espnews,I'm ready to bust a nut. I can't believe it.

If they don't get out of the first round, this year, I think I'll hang myself lol!

JordansBulls
07-30-2008, 12:48 AM
Rafer/Brooks/Francis
T-Mac/Barry
Yao/Dorsey/Deke

Man I'd love to see a Houston vs Boston finals this next year.

JordansBulls
07-30-2008, 12:49 AM
We are a top 5 team in the West now for sure....

What do you mean now?

Rockets were a top 2-3 team in the west without the trade now they are just as good as the Lakers.

JOSETHEALLSTAR
07-30-2008, 12:52 AM
Great News !!

{}
07-30-2008, 01:31 AM
Morey is amazing. First he stole Scola for nothing last season and now to prove that wasn't a fluke he did it again with Artest. To get Artest without giving up Scola or Battier is pretty impressive. Jackson & Greene for an 20ppg/allstar/dpoy. :clap:

The Chronicle described this trade as a 'gamble'? If Artest doesn't work out (another incident, end of season contract issues or whatever), it's no big loss with Battier still on the roster. This trade was no gamble, it was an absolute no-lose deal for the Rockets.

mindofsports82
07-30-2008, 01:47 AM
Morey is amazing. First he stole Scola for nothing last season and now to prove that wasn't a fluke he did it again with Artest. To get Artest without giving up Scola or Battier is pretty impressive. Jackson & Greene for an 20ppg/allstar/dpoy. :clap:

The Chronicle described this trade as a 'gamble'? If Artest doesn't work out (another incident, end of season contract issues or whatever), it's no big loss with Battier still on the roster. This trade was no gamble, it was an absolute no-lose deal for the Rockets.

EXACTLY. How is it a gamble? Bobby Jackson is 68 years old and his contract ALSO expires at the end of this season. The draft pick is going to end up being like the 27th of 28th pick of the first round. We do lose Greene in the process, but with Artest you get an automatic all-star instead of a rookie you have to develop. If Artest leaves, oh well, we had him for a season, we go back to the same exact team we had before this thing happened. If he stays, we win championships until T-Macs knees crumble. Which is what, like 2 months from now?

Rhyming Rebel
07-30-2008, 01:51 AM
Rockets all the way. Who will stop us? We have just leap frogged SA,Utah,NO I think we should be mentioned with the Lakers and Celtics now.

DES
07-30-2008, 02:14 AM
almost for nothing...hopefully he has a great yr and resigns with houston.

nickymintz
07-30-2008, 03:06 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5914719.html

The trade is now Ron Ron, Patrick Ewing Jr, Mike Singletary for BJAX, Donte Green, 1st Round pick and cash.

Pat and Mike are supposed to be released which I don't understand.
Why wouldn't we either put them in the D-League or try and trade them for draft pick or maybe back up center or point.

Renovator
07-30-2008, 05:54 AM
Okay so first off, I can't believe this happened.
Second, there are some dumb things being said on here.
How are people (renovator) doubting the trade will happen? It's already an agreement, the logistics just have to be figured out. And to doubt this trade? Just stupid. You bring the third option we finally needed, and now have the best defense in basketball. And for what? An expiring contract (Jackson), a draft pick (which will end up 25 or after) and Greene. Ridiculous. We just need a backup point guard now, but even if not this team is nuts. And its not one of the top 5 in the west, its one of the top 2 now. And whoever said Scola isn't good should take a bath with a hair dryer. I am done for now.

At the time when I made my comments about doubts over the trade being genuine, articles were saying 'it is being reported" that is not confirmed. But I have read more on it now and it does sound official.

It was definitely a good move on Moreys part from a trade perspactive, giving up nothing to get someone the caliber of Artest is something to boast about indeed. Artest has mad skill. But to me, all his off court skills and locker room negativities outweigh his skills on the court.

I hope the seniors of this team can keep his mouth closed from taking $h!t to rest of the team. His attitude can play huge part if YAO and TMAC goes down. Last season all our players kept their chin up and stuck their chest out when YAO and TMAC got injured. Someone like Artest's negativity can have the exact opposite effect on this team. Artest has never shown to give 2 cents about his team, its always been about him. He has demanded a trade from every team he has played with and left his team mates in the trenches. He has no commitment or dedication.

Im not doubting his skills, he has awesome skills. Its his personality. If Artest can chage his attitude and become a team first kinda guy, then I have no doubt he will have a huge positive impact on this team.

TMAC111
07-30-2008, 07:34 AM
MAN THATS GREAT now the rockets will be real contenders for the finals AMAZING

yaowowrocket11
07-30-2008, 08:07 AM
:jumpy:

The one thing I don't like about the deal is including Greene, since I thought he had a real chance to make an impact this season. But this deal is awesome!

JordansBulls
07-30-2008, 08:24 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5914719.html

The trade is now Ron Ron, Patrick Ewing Jr, Mike Singletary for BJAX, Donte Green, 1st Round pick and cash.

Pat and Mike are supposed to be released which I don't understand.
Why wouldn't we either put them in the D-League or try and trade them for draft pick or maybe back up center or point.

It's amazing the Rockets got him without giving up Battier.

Also it was good to see the Kings not give in to the Lakers.

Renovator
07-30-2008, 08:33 AM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/HeadlineStories.asp?hd=20080730&lc=NBA#STORY_10903

Kings basketball president Geoff Petrie issued a statement Tuesday afternoon. "We've had some very positive discussions with Houston involving Ron, but no trade is imminent at this time," Petrie said.

Reached by phone Tuesday afternoon, Jackson who will earn $6.09 million in the final season of his contract said he had just been told of the likely trade.

"I got wind of it, but it's not done yet," said Jackson, the point guard who was a fan favorite with the Kings from 2000 to 2005. "It's a possibility. I don't know yet."

mightybosstone
07-30-2008, 09:30 AM
I tried getting on all night last night and either PSD was completely down or my computer was having serious issues, but I'm INCREDIBLY excited about this trade. Morey is a genius. He made this trade and we lose practically nothing..... a backup PG with an expiring contract and two late 1st round picks. If he plays really well and we challenge for the championship, awesome, and if not and he has issues, then we can cut him and all we've lost is a couple of late first round picks.

Dunlap
07-30-2008, 10:47 AM
Since Artest can play the 4 and us drafting dorsey does that mean carl landry gets traded. If so who do we trade him for

Jahari Kavi
07-30-2008, 11:50 AM
Get ready for a run my fellow houstonians and other rockets fans!!!! Our perimeter defense will be INSANE!!!!

Jahari Kavi
07-30-2008, 11:52 AM
Since Artest can play the 4 and us drafting dorsey does that mean carl landry gets traded. If so who do we trade him for

Ron can play the 4 for stretches, but he's a SG/SF naturally.....you definitely sign back Landry now...............Scola, Landry, Dorsey, and Hayes will give opposing PFs fits..........

HouRealCoach
07-30-2008, 11:56 AM
The Trade is Jackson, Greene, and First Rounder+Cash for Artest

THis isnt THE TEAM Until we resign Deke and Landry(Which we WILL Do)

But we are the best in the league again!!! Better than the Celtics and Lakers

Jay22Redd
07-30-2008, 12:21 PM
We cant get ahead of ourselves. First, like you said, we have to resign Deke and Landry. Then, we have to reach the playoffs and make it past the first round.

Jay22Redd
07-30-2008, 12:31 PM
........i really hate to see Greene go. First Rudy Gay, and now Donte Greene. I like the trade tho and hope he gets a new contract from us next season.

HouRealCoach
07-30-2008, 01:04 PM
........i really hate to see Greene go. First Rudy Gay, and now Donte Greene. I like the trade tho and hope he gets a new contract from us next season.

Yea me too and I dont understand why others think that trade was a steal for us....They must not know that Green and a first rounder with cash was included

lilboytwister99
07-30-2008, 05:03 PM
I agree totally about Greene leaving. I was rather hoping he would stay, but we'll see how it plays out. We do have a trio now, which is what we were missing the whole time. Id like to see us against Utah again this time, see if we cant beat em now!

iam brett favre
07-30-2008, 05:46 PM
Man, this team just got scary :speechless:

BigEric
07-30-2008, 06:05 PM
This trade does help you guys loads, but you've gotta wait until the season starts until you declare yourselves champs. I'm a Kings fan and I've had the opportunity to watch him play on a nightly basis and you will notice how many bad shots he takes and how he can ruin offenses.

I want to see how McGrady and Artest work together. I think that you guys have a wicked deadly big 3, better than Boston's, but we just gotta wait and let it pan out.

I'm excited as a Kings fan to get B-Jack back and welcoming in Donte Greene, who is drawing Durant comparisons. Best of luck to the Rockets....beat the Lakers....!

Jay22Redd
07-30-2008, 06:32 PM
This trade does help you guys loads, but you've gotta wait until the season starts until you declare yourselves champs. I'm a Kings fan and I've had the opportunity to watch him play on a nightly basis and you will notice how many bad shots he takes and how he can ruin offenses.

I want to see how McGrady and Artest work together. I think that you guys have a wicked deadly big 3, better than Boston's, but we just gotta wait and let it pan out.

I'm excited as a Kings fan to get B-Jack back and welcoming in Donte Greene, who is drawing Durant comparisons. Best of luck to the Rockets....beat the Lakers....!

Good Luck with Donte Greene, I really thought he wuz going to be a player for the Rockets

ufd869
07-30-2008, 07:10 PM
i don't think bad shot selection would be a problem,

it is more on number of possession and shots that i think would be the issue.

what's impressive with the trio of the spurs and C's was they were able to blend

they knew their role and have accepted it, even at the expense of their offense.

richardle9
07-30-2008, 07:28 PM
I am horny too from this!!!! do you want to have sex?!?

only if your a girl

BigEric
07-31-2008, 02:29 AM
If this team stays healthy and gels... it'll be a good season for rockets fans.

lakersfan211
07-31-2008, 03:13 AM
this move puts the rockets as the second best team in the west behind us ,cant wait next year for the lakers/rockets western conference finals.

Driven
07-31-2008, 03:00 PM

If the plan really is for Artest to play the 4, there's no point in us keeping Landry.

Driven
07-31-2008, 03:01 PM
Yea me too and I dont understand why others think that trade was a steal for us....They must not know that Green and a first rounder with cash was included

Greene was the 28th pick in the draft... it's not like the guy is great or anything. It would take him a few years to get good, if he ever does (I don't expect him to). This team is built to win now.

Easy deal to make.

rocketfuel
08-11-2008, 04:08 AM
Didn't want to start another Artest thread...so thought I would just put it in this one....

I didn't realize that Artest was a pretty decent outside shooter... check out his stats.

Artest, who turns 29 as the 2008-09 season starts, is coming off one of his best statistical years in the NBA. Last year he averaged a career-high 20.5 points, shooting an above-average (for him) .453 from the field and .380 behind the arc. He averaged 2.3 steals, and his 3.5 assists per game were in part a result of him firing outlets after he dislodged the ball.

And he's 6'8" 245 pounds....so bulk wise, he's as big as Scola...though Scola's a little taller.

Rhyming Rebel
08-11-2008, 06:42 AM
this move puts the rockets as the second best team in the west behind us ,cant wait next year for the lakers/rockets western conference finals.

This will be a great series. I would love if the Rox get here. They dont actually have to win it al for me to be happy with the progress. I feel letting them taste the conference title series will make them even more hungry and the following season could be the year. Dont get me wrong I would prefer we when it all now, but I am a realist and understand that this is on paper right now. GO ROCKETS

agobbi17
08-11-2008, 05:49 PM
There is no reason Ron Artest should do bad. He's on a contract year playing with 2 Super Stars that are destined to win a championship. I hope he plays great and Houston can offer him a sufficient contract if we drop luther head and some others.

Jay22Redd
08-11-2008, 06:14 PM
What ever happened with that contract we offered Landry and his agent made a proposed contract or whatever he did?