PDA

View Full Version : When does a Team need to Officially begin to Rebuild?

JordansBulls
07-29-2008, 07:40 PM
I hear a lot of people say that if teams like the Pistons or the Mavs or the Suns or even the Rockets don't win it all or don't do damage in the playoffs that they need to rebuild, but why is that the case?

Why would those teams need to rebuild if they are still winning 50+ games yearly?

With that in mind, I guess my real question is, at what point does a team need to officially say it is time to rebuild?

rabzouz 96
07-29-2008, 07:43 PM
I hear a lot of people say that if teams like the Pistons or the Mavs or the Suns or even the Rockets don't win it all or don't do damage in the playoffs that they need to rebuild, but why is that the case?

Why would those teams need to rebuild if they are still winning 50+ games yearly?

With that in mind, I guess my real question is, at what point does a team need to officially say it is time to rebuild?

when its clear that the roster as it is with the main guys cant win a championship and that the mainguys hinder the club at getting high draftpicks to bring in new talents and hinder them at developing

cmellofan15
07-29-2008, 07:44 PM
When a teams Superstars want out or when they stop playing their hardest (Nets) they need to start rebuilding around a certain player.

Fireworld
07-29-2008, 07:46 PM
when you suck.

JordansBulls
07-29-2008, 07:47 PM
when its clear that the roster as it is with the main guys cant win a championship and that the mainguys hinder the club at getting high draftpicks to bring in new talents and hinder them at developing

But what about a team like Orlando or Utah, teams that are good, but just not good enough to win it all, I don't think they are teams that need to rebuild.

Realistically any of those teams are just one piece away from being a title contender, so I don't get why many say it's time for a certain team to rebuild.

lakers4sho
07-29-2008, 07:48 PM
There are many factors: bunch of guys that can't get it done, superstar that can't get it done, age, etc.

I think age is a major factor.

Joshtd1
07-29-2008, 08:22 PM
When the team's big superstar either retires, or is pretty much done. Also the age of the team as well.

rabzouz 96
07-29-2008, 09:06 PM
But what about a team like Orlando or Utah, teams that are good, but just not good enough to win it all, I don't think they are teams that need to rebuild.

Realistically any of those teams are just one piece away from being a title contender, so I don't get why many say it's time for a certain team to rebuild.

hmm, i didnt think of these teams as rebuildingneeding teams,but on the other hand maybe utah should try to rebuild as long as dwill is still young, dunno i dont see the boozer-okur combination as a combination that will net them a ship anytime soon, but they could also try to just trade okur and somebody else for a better c.
orlando is hard, they got howard lewis turkoglu and nelson,but they horribly overpaid lewis, so theyll be stuck with him and cant rebuild, even if they wanted. turkoglu might be too old for their core, the perfect scenario would be if dwight was out for a season with an injury they would play bad get a high draft pick, add a superb talent, hoperfully the piece they miss and then dwight comes back at full strength and they have everything they need, a little bit like the spurs back with duncan.
teams i thought of that fit the description of my first post more were the nets with their former big 3, maybe now the suns with nash aging or detroit

SHONIE
07-29-2008, 10:17 PM
After 3-4 consecutive first round knockouts

*Superman*
07-29-2008, 10:23 PM
When they lose to the Kings now.

_Sn1P3r_
07-30-2008, 09:31 AM
I think it's when you're superstars can't get you far in the playoffs, role players are getting old, and basically you start sucking and need to just start all over again.

RapsFan4Life
07-30-2008, 09:48 AM
okay what do you mean by rebuild, does that mean trade away ur franchise player for draft picks and young future stars, cuz if so then I think teams that need to rebuild are teams that are in the bottom 5 of each conference

but if you mean re build as in not keep your same roster and make some adjusments to improve your offense and defense.. like orlando and utah and huston ... then its every team except the champions

midwestmadman
07-30-2008, 09:50 AM
I think the true meaning of the term "Rebuilding" would mean reconstucting a team after you have had a taste at the top. If you haven't won a championship then you are always looking to make those tweeks to your line up to give you a chance. Every team and every owner wants to win a championship even Donald Sterling, the road to success is always under construction, once you have the right mix you'll win and that is when the rebuilding is over. Teams like the Mavs (got to the finals) are currently rebuilding they moved what 5 or 6 guys to get Kidd, LAL made moves to get Gasol, Detroit has always made minor moves and tweeks to their line up since winning a title on 2004. Teams are always rebuilding, but an overhaul that comes with constant failure, see the Boston Celtics. They were bottom feeders for a longtime, finally they overhauled everything and almost everyone! Result NBA Championship, they took on a high risk anda high payroll and it worked out for one year. Now they lose Posey and key piece bc they had such a huge payroll and minor tweeks is all they need., and so the process goes.