PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox looking at Teagarden

Wrigleyboy25
07-29-2008, 02:56 PM
Focus on Texas catchers

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 | Print Entry

Posted by Peter Gammons
The Rangers are one of the only teams with catching depth in Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Gerald Laird, Taylor Teagarden and Max Ramirez, and nearly eight teams have been trying to deal for one. The Yankees are one of several clubs in on Laird, and Boston is in on Teagarden.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3509699&name=mlb_trade_deadline

ccspence8
07-29-2008, 03:02 PM
I bet the Sox make at least 2 deals before the deadline.

Towelie
07-29-2008, 03:05 PM
really? I'm not sold at all.

papipapsmanny
07-29-2008, 03:06 PM
nice if we get him that would be awesome

Actually just looked him up a bit more, stats recently are very poor, and he has had a lot of elbow problems, only 7 months younger than kottoras

and kottoras is having a much better year power wise, average and obp are identical

so wow i just convinced myself this deal wouldnt be very beneficial at all

Bwangster12
07-29-2008, 03:30 PM
How can anyone conclude if this is a good deal unless they know who they are giving up and what the kid can do at the ML level? He has 6 atbats in the majors. He was good enough to be taken in the 3rd round.

yaowowrocket11
07-29-2008, 04:51 PM
Teagarden is a great young catcher, but I am also not sold at all, until I see some more success at the big league level.

-Lavigne43-
07-29-2008, 04:52 PM
.902 minor league OPS. He has had 6 at bats in the majors.

BostonFan 53
07-29-2008, 05:05 PM
How can anyone conclude if this is a good deal unless they know who they are giving up and what the kid can do at the ML level? He has 6 atbats in the majors. He was good enough to be taken in the 3rd round.

Jorge Posada was taken in the 24th round. ....

homie564
07-29-2008, 06:25 PM
taylor teagarden was ranked as the #4 prospect in the majors if im not mistaken... hes pretty sick

bosox3431
07-29-2008, 06:30 PM
depending on what they want, id do it. He has some serious potential. He was ranked 80th by BA

BostonFan 53
07-29-2008, 06:30 PM
i can say i've seen too much of him. Maybe 5 games, tops. But he is a decent hitter and pretty solid defensively. IMO, he isn't anything to go haywire and trade off a bunch of players for him. He should be a pretty serviceable MLB catcher.

Lord Byron 34
07-29-2008, 11:57 PM
What would we give up? Other prospects?

I guess since the sox have a lot of young pitching and no young catchers, and the rangers are the exact opposite, it could be a good fit.

PapelbonLester
07-30-2008, 12:15 AM
i heard they wanted bowden

The Intimidator
07-30-2008, 08:14 AM
Texas wants young pitching in any deal they make at the deadline, which means if we want Teagarden, we'll have to give up Bowden or Buchholz, and I'm against trading either of them.

RedSoxtober
07-30-2008, 08:30 AM
Texas wants young pitching in any deal they make at the deadline, which means if we want Teagarden, we'll have to give up Bowden or Buchholz, and I'm against trading either of them.

Every team wants pitching and everyone will ask about Bowden and Buchholz but that doesn't mean that the cost for every trade is one of them. It's getting a little tiresome around here to see "Bowden/Buchholz and X" for every trade and then shooting down because one of the Bs is untouchable. If they are then come up with something else. What would work?

I'm not a huge fan of Teagarden. He's got a solid minor league OPS but tailed pretty substantially after huge success in high-A last year. His BA ranking (IMO) is heavily influenced by his relatively short term success. I wonder if LHP Kris Johnson (7-5, 3.60, 1.53whip, 77K/46BB in 105IP @ AA) and possibly another prospect would be enough.

lil'papi
07-30-2008, 11:03 AM
I am not crazy about him, but maybe he comes for guys we have no use for. Or a position we are stocked at or guys that are stuck and never going to see Fenway unless they buy a seat.

laxtonto
07-30-2008, 11:26 AM
The problem is that Texas's system is better than Bostons minors, with the only real hole in that orginization is frontline ready or near ready starting pitching. Texas ahs no need for future #3-#5 guys with Hunter, McCarthy, Harrison, Hurley, etc already waiting in the wings.

If the sox think that Tek is done, then its better to make the move now instead of when they would be over a barrel once it is know they won't resign him. If it takes front line pitching so be it. Use the Texas farm system against them and get a second player or a bulpen arm added to the deal.

homie564
07-30-2008, 11:29 AM
we have a plenty good catcher in the minors but is still in single A seeing he was drafted this year in Brian Lavarnway

BostonFan 53
07-30-2008, 01:15 PM
We have no good catchers in our system. I don't think any catcher (maybe Brown) should be anything better than a decent back up.

RedSoxtober
07-30-2008, 02:55 PM
The problem is that Texas's system is better than Bostons minors, with the only real hole in that orginization is frontline ready or near ready starting pitching. Texas ahs no need for future #3-#5 guys with Hunter, McCarthy, Harrison, Hurley, etc already waiting in the wings.

If the sox think that Tek is done, then its better to make the move now instead of when they would be over a barrel once it is know they won't resign him. If it takes front line pitching so be it. Use the Texas farm system against them and get a second player or a bulpen arm added to the deal.

BA has ranked the Sox system in the top 5 in MLB the past four or five years in a row, and I think they've had the #2 position most of the time. Texas' is not better than Boston's; they've just been more willing to deal the parts.

A few links:
Baseball America (2008) (http://www.sportsworldny.com/index.php?showtopic=16764): Bos #2, Tex #4
BaseballProspectus (2007) (www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/ranking-organizations/): Bos #11, Tex #22
Hardball Times (2007): Bos #13, Tex #27

laxtonto
07-30-2008, 05:22 PM
The Sox system is extremely top heavy with Bucholz elsbury lowrie and most likely others graduating this year. The Texas system is bottom heavy that coming into this season wasn't expect to graduate anyone but Hurley and possibly Harrison.

After this season the Sox season will drop significantly just because of attrition of top end talent.

Boston's system loses their #1,2, and most likely 4 and 5 prospects in their system.

Texas will loses the prospect status of their #3 prospect in Hurley and most likely their #2 prospect in Davis. But they added Smoak in the Draft that is already being touted as being in BA top 100.

Nothing against the Sox system but a lot of it is a factor that the starting rotation and lineup has been and will be filled with established vets. That leads for most prospects staying in the minors for longer periods.

Ohh and by the way BA had Boston 2nd in 08, 9th in 07, 8th in 06, and 21st in 05...So in the top 5 once in the last 5 years, this year, but hey who needs facts

Lord Byron 34
07-30-2008, 06:14 PM
the only real hole in that orginization is frontline ready or near ready starting pitching.

Kind of a big hole.

RedSoxtober
07-30-2008, 09:26 PM
The Sox system is extremely top heavy with Bucholz elsbury lowrie and most likely others graduating this year. The Texas system is bottom heavy that coming into this season wasn't expect to graduate anyone but Hurley and possibly Harrison.

After this season the Sox season will drop significantly just because of attrition of top end talent.

I don't believe you know the talent all that well. Most of the position talent is in lower minors.

Lars Anderson (1B) and Josh Reddick (OF) just got bumped to AA. Michael Alamanzar (3B) and Che-Hsuan Lin (OF, MVP, Futures '08) were recruited by almost every MLB team and landed with BOS; they're both in A ball. Ditto for SS Oscar Tejada who was considered another coup when signed as a 16/17 yr old; he just got into A ball from the GCL. Dent, Middlebrooks, Price, ... there's loads of highly regarded talent that won't graduate for a while.

Ohh and by the way BA had Boston 2nd in 08, 9th in 07, 8th in 06, and 21st in 05...So in the top 5 once in the last 5 years, this year, but hey who needs facts

Sorry, should have said top 10.