PDA

View Full Version : Gaudin

Wrigleyboy25
07-29-2008, 01:35 PM
Anyone else love with this guy has done so far?

With all the love for the Shark, I think Gaudin is being unappreciated. He should be the big set-up guy while Wood is out. He should also be the reason Howry is sent packing.

He came in with the thinking he'd be a long-relief guy, but with Marshall out there and the quality of starting pitching we have, I don't think he is needed in that role.

JimHendrysTummy
07-29-2008, 01:37 PM
I ****ing love Gaudin. This deal with the A's looks like robbery more and more, each time either one of these guys pitch.

All I want now is for Wood's hell-blister to heal. Maybe Fuentes or Sherrill.

Bullpen=SOLID.

Jilly Bohnson
07-29-2008, 01:37 PM
He's had control problems in the past, but as long as those are behind him he's a really solid pitcher. I like him setting up and he wouldn't be a bad option for the rotation in the future.

CubsRule08
07-29-2008, 01:39 PM
Yeah...it was smart for Hendry to get him with Harden because of Harden's annual DL stint, and he might even get a chance to take TSP's starting role too because he can be a quality starter too...Gaudin has done everything well since he came over here, and if Harden and Gaudin keeps it up, this trade would definitely be a steal!

Nice job Hendry to get him :clap:

Max Power
07-29-2008, 01:39 PM
Yes. This trade, which looked great on day one, gets better looking by the second.

PunkShizzle
07-29-2008, 01:40 PM
He makes me feel all warm and fuzzy when I think that he came with Harden. He's useful in a lot of spots, and if he's on like he was last night, I'd definitely prefer him setting up as opposed to Howry.

Cullksinikers
07-29-2008, 01:40 PM
Gaudin has been good for the Cubs, and I love what he has done so far in a Cubs uniform.

Buckwheat
07-29-2008, 01:41 PM
I told everyone he was a key in this deal.. Guy was a stud at starter, last year, too.

jdgrabo
07-29-2008, 01:46 PM
A very pleasant surprise. I figured him for a middle innings guy (6th-7th & matchups). I now think he's gonna play a role late in games thanks to Howry's recent tendancy to be crappy.

CubbieSteve
What a great throw in guy. He's been very good so far and becoming a very dependable option out of the pen.

DamnGoat
10.2 IP, 12 K's, 1.69 ERA

Yeah, he's done pretty well for the Cubs. Certainly gives them some flexibility if they wanna deal Howry or put Gaudin in the rotation if/when Marqrap continues to suck.

windycityD
07-29-2008, 03:36 PM
Anyone else love with this guy has done so far?

With all the love for the Shark, I think Gaudin is being unappreciated. He should be the big set-up guy while Wood is out. He should also be the reason Howry is sent packing.

He came in with the thinking he'd be a long-relief guy, but with Marshall out there and the quality of starting pitching we have, I don't think he is needed in that role.

Gaudin's either our 4th (Dempster gone) or 5th (Dempster re-upped) starter next year, I'll go on record now. One could argue he should be in the 5 right now, but well, I don't see a taker for Marquis who would also pick up 4-5 mil of his contract next season. We're stuck with his crap til the off season.

Hendry was wise to have this guy included in the Harden deal, very wise.

homestarunner93
07-29-2008, 03:38 PM
I love what he's done so far, but I'm still skeptical. I'm not sure why the A's would trade someone who's been so good while also trading an ace pitcher in Harden.

windycityD
07-29-2008, 03:40 PM
I love what he's done so far, but I'm still skeptical. I'm not sure why the A's would trade someone who's been so good while also trading an ace pitcher in Harden.

It's called insurance.

Harden is a titanic band aid.

Cub_StuckinSTL
07-29-2008, 03:44 PM
Lol hasn't he had three straight days worth of decisions?

AndyDufresne
07-29-2008, 03:51 PM

Yeah, pretty crazy.

Damn he looked good last night, made that googly eyed dufus Braun look silly in the bottom of the 8th.

chi416
07-29-2008, 03:53 PM
Gaudin's either our 4th (Dempster gone) or 5th (Dempster re-upped) starter next year, I'll go on record now. One could argue he should be in the 5 right now, but well, I don't see a taker for Marquis who would also pick up 4-5 mil of his contract next season. We're stuck with his crap til the off season.

Hendry was wise to have this guy included in the Harden deal, very wise.

I think people are a bit irrational in what they should expect from Marquis as a #5 starter. Of NL starters with at least 60 IP, he ranks 46th in ERA and WHIP and 43rd in batting average against. With 16 teams in the NL, a rank of 48 should reflect the worst #3 in the league (assuming an even distribution of talent across teams and pitchers performance reflecting what # they are in a rotation). You might hate the money he makes but it's unlikely that his role will be filled with anyone who does much better -- this holds up pretty well across teams. And, it doesn't seem that money is really a big issue with this team so I'm not even sure how much difference it really makes.

When he's on, he pitches effectively. When he's not, he labors mightily but at least will stay in the game and save the pen. It's much harder to ask young guys to take thattype of mental beating.

I'm not saying we shouldn't try to upgrade. However, if this year falls apart, it's unlikely that Marquis will be the reason why. We effectively have two #1's with Z and Harden and no worse than two #3's with Lilly and Dempster. As long as Marquis pitches in line with other #5's (he's done better than most #5's and as well as many #4's) then we should be fine as long as the offense holds up its end.

SonnyD
07-29-2008, 04:12 PM
Her's what SonnyD wrote on 7/9, the day after we made the trade:

To me the X factor in this deal is Gaudin. Not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but he made a change in his delivery after his 4/13 start and proceeded to give up only 2 earned runs over his next 3 games (20 innings). Of course he gave up 5 ER against Texas, but hey, everyone was giving runs up to them at the time. Not to mention I remember watching that game, they just hit very good pitches.

I had him on my fantasy team so I watched and tracked every game of his, then dropped him when he was sent to the pen. Speaking of that, sentiment out of Oakland was that Smith or Eveland should be sent there. But in the end they decided on Gaudin, since the other two had good numbers as well.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is in the end, I think Gaudin will be a HUGE piece in this trade. Like I said I watched every game of his, and his stuff really looked electric. His fastball seems alot faster than it is because of the movement (around 90-91mph I think). His slider really buckled a lot of knees in the games I saw, and he doesn't give up alot of HR's (in 07 he had a 51%/29% GB/FB ratio).

I really think he's going to surprise a ton of people. If I were Lou, I'd definitely plug him in as my 5th starter.

scrubs101
07-29-2008, 04:25 PM
Her's what SonnyD wrote on 7/9, the day after we made the trade:

somebody give sonny D a cookie

jaycruz92
07-29-2008, 04:29 PM
hey guadin is great so i think the cubs gotta get rid or some dead weight in the bullpen. trade away eyre and howry howry is awful and eyre i think he has some good value plus what are we gonna do when we get wood back. so offer a deal of howry:mad:,eyre:bang:,marquis:hide: for a back end starter that can eat up innings and be productive, anyone is better than marquis or a releif pitcher like fuentes- we would have a strong pen of

Samardzija
Cotts
Guadin
Marmol
Leiber
Marshall
Wood
if we get a trade for a good releif pitcher we can just use marshall in the 5 spot or call up hill when hes ready, to get him back to form would be like getting a trade for a number 2 or 3 starter

mawp
07-29-2008, 04:32 PM
I'd rather see Lieber go than anyone in the BP right now. And yes, I realize he's on the DL, but he's gotta come off it sooner or later.

Yeah, Bobby's been struggling as of late, but everyone struggles (so it seems) now and then.

BDawk4Prez
07-29-2008, 04:43 PM

And my fantasy team is thankful....:D

CubsBullsfan28
07-29-2008, 04:56 PM
he has been great, i would not mind him as a setup guy or in our rotation. this trade has been a steal and i hope both are here for a long time.

ChiTownBearCub
07-29-2008, 05:14 PM
I really wish that Gaudin could crack our rotation and bump Marquis out. Marquis in my opinion is inconsistent. We really need to get rid of Howry. I think it's funny because besides yesterday the Cubs have been putting Howry in when we're up by like 9 runs. We need some kind of change. And for all the rumors to trade Eyre. Don't do that please Chicago. He was lights out when he was playing this year. GET RID OF HOWRY.

BigBruceRogers
07-29-2008, 05:20 PM
I'd love to see Gaudin used as a daily 1 inning reliever. Same with Shark. With Marshall as the Long Relief guy, I think it is time to give suck Howry guy a rest. Eyre too.

northsider
07-29-2008, 05:23 PM
I still am suprised he was involved in the package.

guru
07-29-2008, 08:37 PM
Some one needs to start a I Love Gaudin club. It could offset the I Hate Theroit club.