PDA

View Full Version : What if Michael Jordan...

JMKnick33
07-29-2008, 01:12 PM
never retired the first time? Do you guys think he would've won 8 straight (getting past Knicks/Magic to face the Rockets twice in '94-'95 Finals + Sonics & Jazz twice) NBA championships?

Why or why not?

Hmmm..

EasyMac951
07-29-2008, 01:24 PM
As a Bulls Fan I would have to say "Of Course", it would have been hard because at that time Houston was playing good ball.

But I would say the Bulls would have at least won one of those two years if not both.

Go Bulls. We need a Big year from Tyrus and Thabo this year.

Jeremy5150
07-29-2008, 01:24 PM
No. I think Riensdorf would have broken up/traded much of the team after 5-6 rings.

Crunchy12489
07-29-2008, 01:30 PM
If there is one thing Mike and Kobe have in common, is that they are blown up WAY out of proportion.. A little TOOOO overrated... Only difference between the two is Mike lives more up to his hype...

Mike was a beast, but let's be ****ing serious... an 8-peat? Get the **** out of here...

Jay22Redd
07-29-2008, 01:31 PM
As a rockets fan, i say no

Crunchy12489
07-29-2008, 01:32 PM
As a rockets fan, i say no

Hell Im not even a Rockets fan, and I say no.

I like the Rockets but I'm not interested in every win/loss they receive.

marlinsfan24
07-29-2008, 01:33 PM
No way. Not possible. Jordan was dominant, but hes no where near an 8 peat dominant.

SHONIE
07-29-2008, 01:43 PM
impossible...
however KG would argue...

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Zefflin
07-29-2008, 01:43 PM
Mike was a beast, but let's be ****ing serious... an 8-peat? Get the **** out of here...

:laugh2:

Oh man that's funny ****.

Alex-sama
07-29-2008, 01:44 PM
94/95 rockets had the most powerful offence in the league. Not even MJ can stop them.

Noreaga
07-29-2008, 01:47 PM
why not....it was three straight, retirement, then three straight again...the rockets deserved those championships but to be the best you have to beat the best...and the bulls without his Airness weren't the best. I say YES!

Noreaga
07-29-2008, 01:49 PM
and dont compare MJ to Kobe

Crunchy12489
07-29-2008, 02:05 PM

Who is comparing Kobe to MJ?

Learn how to read and comprehend.

An 8 peat.........

Let me say that again....

An 8 peat..........

Boy you people REALLY overestimate the 90's Bulls, good grief!

madiaz3
07-29-2008, 02:14 PM

what are you talking about

And also, just consider the matchups, Hakeem's opposition on the Bulls and Jordan's on the Rockets.

Pierzynski4Prez
07-29-2008, 02:25 PM
I would realistically like to hear how the Bulls would have lost either one of those finals instead of people saying just saying that an 8 peat is impossible.

He played only 17 regular season games the year he came back and they still got close to making the conference finals, if not for that Nick Anderson steal, I think they could've made the finals and then who knows. They only got better as he got back into shape.

All I'm saying is if he hadn't left, how would the Rockets have possibly beaten the 93-94 team with Jordan, who nearly made the conf. finals without him that year if Pip wasn't such a punk. And they still won 55 games. Rockets still didn't have Clyde Drexler at that point either. So we definately have a 4-peat.

The following year (year of the comeback) is the most difficult to predict. Had he not quit, he would still be in shape and the Bulls would have been better than a 5 seed in the playoffs. Probably a 1 seed bumping the magic and knicks down to 2 and 3, so instead of having to face the magic second round, we face them in the conf. finals with home court advantage. Considering how close we were with an out of shape Jordan, no doubt we would've won. I think it would've been close between the Rockets and Bulls, but the Rockets came into that playoffs as the 6 seed in their conference, with about half of the season with Drexler, but still a 6 seed by no means is a dominant team that could even give Jordan a problem, let alone beat him 4 times out of 7.

I think its case closed, Bulls would have gotten an 8-peat, barring any Reinsdorf/Krause breakup of the team earlier than it actually happened.

And no disrespect to the 98-99 Spurs, but they would have gotten run over by the Bulls if they weren't broken up. Don't think Mario Elie and Avery Johnson would have been too good at taking care of Jordan. Plus Steve Kerr would have still been on the bulls. Thats right, Steve Kerr. 9-peat???

daleja424
07-29-2008, 02:28 PM
this reads like a joke... Is someone really asking if the Bulls could have won 8 staright titles? PUH-LEEEAAASSSEE! THats ridiculous!

ink
^The way Jordan dominated when he came back it looks like he could have pulled off a 9 peat. But maybe those two lost years as a lousy baseball player made him hungrier to win again. Maybe that was his motivation to come back so strong for the next few championship seasons. All speculation ...

midwestmadman
Hypothetically yes they would have won those two years and frankly it anyone who says no wasn't alive or watching the NBA in those days enough to have an opinion that would even matter. However Jeremy 5150 brought up a very good point, had Jordan not retired and kept playing the bigger question is would Jerry Riensdorf eventually pulled the plug after 5 or 6 straight... and yes I think he would have, remember there we alot of trade talks envolving Scottie Pippen in those days and after winning a few more titles he may have moved him for a dominate big man (Like Shawn Kemp at that time) to play along side MJ, particulary after they had lost Horace Grant in free agency to the Orlando Magic in 1994-95 season.

ink
07-29-2008, 02:34 PM
Wow INK, you allow a foolish statement like that but don't post mine, your a smart person let me tell you.

You made it personal. You might want to read the rules at the top of this forum.

The point of all of this is to improve the quality of the NBA forum since there have been a lot of complaints going on about the low quality of the NBA main forum. Everything I’ve mentioned in here is for an attempt to raise the quality of the forum so please cooperate with us, help us make this place as enjoyable as it can be so that we can all have fun discussing NBA related topics with one another.

2) Flaming. I know things can get pretty heated when you're discussing sports, but there's no need to get personal. Anyone who engages in name-calling, baiting, etc faces a ban.

midwestmadman
07-29-2008, 02:35 PM
I would realistically like to hear how the Bulls would have lost either one of those finals instead of people saying just saying that an 8 peat is impossible.

He played only 17 regular season games the year he came back and they still got close to making the conference finals, if not for that Nick Anderson steal, I think they could've made the finals and then who knows. They only got better as he got back into shape.

All I'm saying is if he hadn't left, how would the Rockets have possibly beaten the 93-94 team with Jordan, who nearly made the conf. finals without him that year if Pip wasn't such a punk. And they still won 55 games. Rockets still didn't have Clyde Drexler at that point either. So we definately have a 4-peat.

The following year (year of the comeback) is the most difficult to predict. Had he not quit, he would still be in shape and the Bulls would have been better than a 5 seed in the playoffs. Probably a 1 seed bumping the magic and knicks down to 2 and 3, so instead of having to face the magic second round, we face them in the conf. finals with home court advantage. Considering how close we were with an out of shape Jordan, no doubt we would've won. I think it would've been close between the Rockets and Bulls, but the Rockets came into that playoffs as the 6 seed in their conference, with about half of the season with Drexler, but still a 6 seed by no means is a dominant team that could even give Jordan a problem, let alone beat him 4 times out of 7.

I think its case closed, Bulls would have gotten an 8-peat, barring any Reinsdorf/Krause breakup of the team earlier than it actually happened.

And no disrespect to the 98-99 Spurs, but they would have gotten run over by the Bulls if they weren't broken up. Don't think Mario Elie and Avery Johnson would have been too good at taking care of Jordan. Plus Steve Kerr would have still been on the bulls. Thats right, Steve Kerr. 9-peat???

THIS GUY KNOWS WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT!

"VERY WELL SAID, COMPELLING AND RICH" - RON BURGANDY :clap:

Teeboy1487
07-29-2008, 02:38 PM
No because if the bulls won the championship those years jordan retire, the league would have caught up in 97 and he would still only have six rings or less. Maybe retiring those years was a good thing but if anybody can do a 8peat it is jordan.

Mr Wonderful
07-29-2008, 02:45 PM
Who is comparing Kobe to MJ?

Learn how to read and comprehend.

An 8 peat.........

Let me say that again....

An 8 peat..........

Boy you people REALLY overestimate the 90's Bulls, good grief!

I don't think he was trying to say you are comparing Kobe to MJ, I think he was leaning toward the point of the hype between the 2. MJ CREATED the hype, while Kobe is trying to live the hype, or live up to the hype.

And considering the back-to-back titles were won against teams that weren't exactly dominant (less that 60 wins), why couldn't the Bulls have won the titles? Also, lets not forget Houston traded for Clyde in the second title year.

Pierzynski4Prez
07-29-2008, 02:45 PM
How would the league have caught up? Those last 3 titles you forget were won the by the BEST team in NBA history. The Jazz with 1 of the top 5 PGs of all time and top 5 PF of all time still could not manage to get 3 wins.

Master Mind
07-29-2008, 02:57 PM
It would have been eight str8, believe that...Hakeem and them should be clipping Jordan's toe nails and rubbing his back as we speak, for those titles...

Rockets-->:worthy: Jordan

HomelessRobles
07-29-2008, 03:11 PM
I think this question has alot to do with Horace Grant/Dennis Rodman. The 94/95 team basically had soft-***** Dickey Simpkins and Toni Kukoc at PF... I honestly don't think they get further than the second round in 95, even with Jordan playing the whole year.

Grant was in his prime as a defender and rebounder in 93/94. Basically you're replacing Pete Myers with MJ, having essentially the same team that 3peated. I think the 93/94 Bulls with Jordan take the championship pretty easily.

94/95, no.

If you put the 98 team back together for a run in the strike-shortened 50 game season, I think they have a pretty good shot against the Spurs. They def. would get into the finals over the weakass knicks that year.

8peat? maybe not. I think 8 out of 9 wouldn't have been impossible.

JordansBulls
07-29-2008, 03:39 PM
In 1994 the Bulls would have crush the Rockets that year. However in 1995 the Rockets probably would have won. The Bulls had no interior scoring, nor rebounding nor defense.

ARMIN12NBA
07-29-2008, 06:16 PM
Michael Jordan played the end of the 1995 season and they lost so NO there would be no 8-peat, but they possibly could have gotten 4 in a row before losing in 95 and then going on the three-peat. But these are just "what ifs" and we have no idea what could've happened...Maybe if he never retired, the Bulls wouldn't have gone on to three-peat from 96-98 because guys wouldn't have developed while he was gone and they wouldn't have made significant roster changes in his absence (Ron Harper for example) and to please his return (like Dennis Rodman).

HOZ THE KNICK
07-29-2008, 07:30 PM
maybe the rockets was tough.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-29-2008, 07:38 PM
Rockets were playing great that year so I say, no.

ahua
07-29-2008, 07:40 PM
Full disclosure:
I am a life long Bulls fan.

Having said that, I don't know if there is much more to say beyond what some of the better posts said here about the Bulls winning continuously through the final championship against the Jazz.

Since this is hypothetical given that Michael did retire there are a couple of ways of looking at it.

One is that we make assumptions based on the status quo. That is to say that Jordan and the Bulls were so dominant that Jordan retired. Had MJ not retired and we assume that he was able to maintain his amazing will to continue to play at the level he had achieved and that he stayed healthy. Further if we assume that management played along and either maintained the team or even still made moves for a discarded Harper, or Rodman and the team was kept in tact . . . then I don't see the sixth seeded Rockets contending with the juggernaut that was the Chicago Bulls. The addition of Clyde Drexler would have done little to help them. MJ and his Bulls had already dominated Drexler when they beat the younger version of him in 6 when he played for a more talented team than his Rocket team. Indeed no team during the six years that Jordan and Pippen were in their prime and had adequate role players did they lose a title. I know some of you here will say, "What about when MJ came back from retirement and lost to the Magic?" The answer is simple of course. It is well understood that the Bulls lost that series to the upstart Magic because they were unfamiliar with each other and playing with an out of shape, unfamiliar to the team Michael Jordan. The Bulls showed no such problems dealing with the Magic the following season where Jordan was with them the entire year.

In the second scenario, we see a burnt out Bulls team and a ego maniac in the form of GM Jerry Krause, who for whatever ridiculous reason felt that he was the reason for the Bulls success and not the players, bent on changing things up and trading away Pippen or some such thing. We may also see an owner in Jerry Reinsdorf who is sick of the drama and whining of Horace Grant feeling that he is under appreciated and under paid.

These are the occasional realities that we cannot count on when dealing with this kind of hypothetical situation.

The one thing we do know, from the time the Bulls won their first 3 championships through the time they won their last 3, a fairly healthy Michael Jordan with a fairly healthy Scotty Pippen along with proper role players were unbeatable when it came to winning a series against them in the playoffs. They were never taken more than 6 games in the finals and dominated all who opposed them. I read someone here offering that MJ and Kobe are over hyped. No. Kobe may be, but MJ won. He won with different pieces and in different eras even. He was the definition of dominant. Not even Hakeem the Dream and his now vaunted Rockets would have stood a chance against the winning machine that was Michael Jordan's Bulls.

King Koopa
07-29-2008, 07:49 PM
Its funny how every Bulls fan still lives in the 90s era..... And to tell you the truth you people have to get over it...... Bulls havent even gone to the ECF in 10 years, And it looks like there not going anywhere for a while.

JAZZNC
07-29-2008, 07:50 PM
^Very well said. I can't believe how many people say there's no chance he'd they'd have won 8 in a row. They very easily could have handled Rockets. I don't care about post defense, the Bulls just won and it's as simple as that. Whoever that genius is that said Jordan's overrated is well......there are no words to describe how ignorant of a statement that is. How can the greatest player to ever lace up a pair of basketball shoes be overrated?

HomelessRobles
07-29-2008, 08:06 PM
Its funny how every Bulls fan still lives in the 90s era..... And to tell you the truth you people have to get over it...... Bulls havent even gone to the ECF in 10 years, And it looks like there not going anywhere for a while.

WTF man? This whole thread is about "the 90s era." And it's not like this was started by some Bulls fan who was getting all misty for the days-gone-by of the 90's bulls-- the thread starter is a Knick fan.

Trust me, Bulls fans are very aware of what the team has(n't) accomplished in the last ten years. And it's not looking very good for the Heat for at least two years either.

And also, the 05-06 Heat can't touch any of the 90's Bulls teams.

JMKnick33
07-29-2008, 10:04 PM
WTF man? This whole thread is about "the 90s era." And it's not like this was started by some Bulls fan who was getting all misty for the days-gone-by of the 90's bulls-- the thread starter is a Knick fan.

Trust me, Bulls fans are very aware of what the team has(n't) accomplished in the last ten years. And it's not looking very good for the Heat for at least two years either.

And also, the 05-06 Heat can't touch any of the 90's Bulls teams.

yes indeed I am a Knick fan. I bleed orange and blue. I hated Michael Jordan with a passion, but I respect his game to a great extent.

With all due respect, I had to start this thread/poll to hear what people thought. I have read some very convincing arguments and I appreciate the participation. My answer is yes, he would have won at least 8 straight IF he had stayed at the top of his game. It is true that the 2 years he did not win the championship gave him the will and determination needed to get another 3 peat..but then again, that is just speculation.

I will start a new thread in the Knicks forum asking, "How many rings would Patrick Ewing have won if Michael Jordan never existed?" LOL :rolleyes:

heyman321
07-30-2008, 10:41 AM

What the hell are you talking about. As the other guy said, that's the whole point of this thread. To answer the question, I think yes, Jordan would've had an 8 peat. Hakeem and Clyde at their high were still no match for Jordan and Pippen at their peak. If Jordan was still in shape and on a roll, there's no team that would've stopped them. Who could have stopped the 90's Bulls? Seriously, maybe only the 60s Celtics and the 70-80s Lakers IMO would be able to beat them. The Bulls were DOMINANT.

By the way, Wade had a good performance but seriously, nowhere near the Bulls. I was sitting in the Miami crowd and even I was called for a foul.

RocketPowered
07-30-2008, 11:08 AM
Jay y u tryna take ish away from my rockets....it wouldnt have been said if the knicks won that"one year"