PDA

View Full Version : 'Brett,you can't do that, you'll get me fired.'

Where's KG?
07-29-2008, 08:49 AM
OK, so everyone will say that I am just a Vikes fan with a grudge, but I swear it's not like that. Your GM has confused me thoroughly in this whole Brett thing, and now the Ryan Grant deal as well. (Minimum Tender Offer!!!????) Here is an article from ESPN regarding Thompson. Forget the three-ring media circus if Favre had reported. That's the least of Thompson's problems. His backpedaling and then reversal on Favre's supposed "role" with the team is the admission that counts. This isnt about Favre or where he should or shouldn't go, but the GM and what he is currently doing to One of the, if not the most storied franchise in the NFL. I believe this game is about winning and placing the best team on the field possible. As I was glancing over the transactions in the offseason for the pack....your GM did nothing, signed no one, and traded for no one. You guys have the ability to be a Super Bowl contender as much as it pains me to say it, I think Ted Thompson is taking that away from you. What do you guys think? It's a serious thread...not Vikes Packers argument thread. If thats possible.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=3508012&sportCat=nfl

hughest4
07-29-2008, 09:08 AM
Yeah, its definitely a serious thread an i appreciate that. We have a bunch of TT thread but i don't mind keeping this one open. Anyway, i think that you feel the same way that a good majority of us do. We had such a good chance to go to the Super Bowl last year and i thought we would only improve going into this season. Obviously that isnt the case

newdude
07-29-2008, 09:29 AM
Great article u posted. I am surprised someone wrote a pro-Favre article. And finally someone brought up TT's flip-flopping and untruthfulness. It's like the team is still in rebuilding mode while already being contenders. But good article nonetheless and 'Brett, you can't do that -- you'll get me fired' was funny :D

And btw, someone need to make a "where's Favre?" screen name.

meandering
07-29-2008, 10:47 AM
OK, so everyone will say that I am just a Vikes fan with a grudge, but I swear it's not like that. Your GM has confused me thoroughly in this whole Brett thing, and now the Ryan Grant deal as well. (Minimum Tender Offer!!!????) Here is an article from ESPN regarding Thompson. Forget the three-ring media circus if Favre had reported. That's the least of Thompson's problems. His backpedaling and then reversal on Favre's supposed "role" with the team is the admission that counts. This isnt about Favre or where he should or shouldn't go, but the GM and what he is currently doing to One of the, if not the most storied franchise in the NFL. I believe this game is about winning and placing the best team on the field possible. As I was glancing over the transactions in the offseason for the pack....your GM did nothing, signed no one, and traded for no one. You guys have the ability to be a Super Bowl contender as much as it pains me to say it, I think Ted Thompson is taking that away from you. What do you guys think? It's a serious thread...not Vikes Packers argument thread. If thats possible.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=3508012&sportCat=nfl
What is the point of this trhread? Are we rehashing "all" of TTs moves to date again? You looked under our transactions and didnt see anything? So what?
The same GM who had therug pulled from under him by Favre? How is Ryan Grant any different then Javon Walker? I think Ryan Grant deserves more money.....but TT is not the only GM who refuses to renogiate contracts in the middle of them. How much money is owed to Grant over a period of 8 games? I would think he would be happy that we pulled his *** from under all the runningbacks he was under in New York......but does he require a Devin Hester contract like he is seeking?
Despite all the contention, 20 other teams wanting Favre is false! Period. Now we are being offered 3rd rd, 4th rd, and 5th rd picks for the "Great" one.........So far EVERYTHING that could go wrong has went wrong.

Be that as it may - all our draft picks are signed, and hopefully the Grant contract will be done. We are in camp.

I dont buy it coming from a Viqueen fan, that you are concerned about a storied franchise for a minute......whats next, reccommendations from L Smith on QB Coaches in Green Bay?

This thread is useless.

meandering
07-29-2008, 10:52 AM
Great article u posted. I am surprised someone wrote a pro-Favre article. And finally someone brought up TT's flip-flopping and untruthfulness. It's like the team is still in rebuilding mode while already being contenders. But good article nonetheless and 'Brett, you can't do that -- you'll get me fired' was funny :D

And btw, someone need to make a "where's Favre?" screen name.

As funny as Favre throwing 6 picks in St Louis.....or the interception in Minnesota?

Anyone who awnsers a phone call from, and then talks to Favre on the phone.....deserves everything they get! Taking personal conversations and twisting and adding to them,and releasing them to reporters........wont have many friends in the end.
Keep burning bridges Farve.......youll be on an island soon!

Brooke
07-29-2008, 11:57 AM
Nice article. I am glad to see a pro Brett one for a change

As funny as Favre throwing 6 picks in St Louis.....or the interception in Minnesota?

Anyone who awnsers a phone call from, and then talks to Favre on the phone.....deserves everything they get! Taking personal conversations and twisting and adding to them,and releasing them to reporters........wont have many friends in the end.

Gee and how were the Packers before Brett came to town, how long has it been since they won a championship before him? Who gave them a championship again? Who essentially put this team on the map again and made them successful?

Packerbacker
07-29-2008, 12:02 PM
What is the point of this trhread? Are we rehashing "all" of TTs moves to date again? You looked under our transactions and didnt see anything? So what?
The same GM who had therug pulled from under him by Favre? How is Ryan Grant any different then Javon Walker? I think Ryan Grant deserves more money.....but TT is not the only GM who refuses to renogiate contracts in the middle of them. How much money is owed to Grant over a period of 8 games? I would think he would be happy that we pulled his *** from under all the runningbacks he was under in New York......but does he require a Devin Hester contract like he is seeking?
Despite all the contention, 20 other teams wanting Favre is false! Period. Now we are being offered 3rd rd, 4th rd, and 5th rd picks for the "Great" one.........So far EVERYTHING that could go wrong has went wrong.

Be that as it may - all our draft picks are signed, and hopefully the Grant contract will be done. We are in camp.

I dont buy it coming from a Viqueen fan, that you are concerned about a storied franchise for a minute......whats next, reccommendations from L Smith on QB Coaches in Green Bay?

This thread is useless.

Actually I think we should talk about all the things TT has done, lets come up with pro's and con's. Pro's: drafted A.J. Hawk(kind of was a no brainer), got Charles Woodson, and.... uh.....he....well lets do the cons'. Drafted Justin Harrel, let Darren Sharper go, Drafted Nick Collins, Let Mike Wahle go, let Marco Rivera go, let Ryan Longwell go, Let Ahman Green Go(got lucky he found Ryan Grant otherwise we never would've had a running game) oh and speeking of Ryan Grant his savior on the ground he's low balling him pissing him off so won't want to play for us anymore, he's making Favre stay out, didn't pick up a veteran qb to back up these rookies, didn't try and get moss(that would have made Favre stick around) and then wouldn't have been able to move on to Rodgers whom wich we shouldn't have drafted because 3 years ago we didn't need a qb and we still don't need one today we have Brett. What else did ol' teddy do... oh yeah, he went down on his own mom, he beats up kids at schools while they're on recess, he clubs baby seals then doesn't even use their skin for clothing, he throws trash at the Indian on the side of the road just to make him cry, and he will probably rape all of our loved ones given the chance. Say no to Rape, Say no to Ted Thompson.

newdude
07-29-2008, 12:07 PM
WTH???LOLZZZZ

yeah, like how Favre carried this team for 16 years and how he also carried this team in the beginning of the season with no F@ckin running game, w/o him we wouldn't even be in the playoffs!!!!! Bash him all u want, he wasn't the only one who didn't perform well in those playoff losses.

And u take TT's every word? U think he's a saint? U don't think he has twisted words to make himself look better?
If u answer yes, then u need to take a better look at life:eyebrow:

socalpkrbkr
07-29-2008, 12:34 PM
I think the whole "Brett, you can't do that, you'll get me fired" is pretty damn funny. TT is going to get himself fired. Forget the FACT that we are Packers fans and look at it from the outside in. How are they choosing Aaron over Favre? Yes TT is choosing at this point by not wanting Brett to compete. Call it anything else you want to but that's what it is. That's what "we've moved on" means.

If we struggle this season as in below .500:mad: Bye bye Ted

LOL at the idea of Brett having to compete for that job. One losing season in 16 years people, one.

BrewCityBuck
07-29-2008, 12:39 PM
I think the whole "Brett, you can't do that, you'll get me fired" is pretty damn funny. TT is going to get himself fired. Forget the FACT that we are Packers fans and look at it from the outside in. How are they choosing Aaron over Favre? Yes TT is choosing at this point by not wanting Brett to compete. Call it anything else you want to but that's what it is. That's what "we've moved on" means.

If we struggle this season as in below .500:mad: Bye bye Ted

LOL at the idea of Brett having to compete for that job. One losing season in 16 years people, one.

We have to move on at some point, for gods sake. If I have to deal with one more offseason with Brett Favre dominating the news i'm going to throw up and be done with it. I'd rather see what Rodgers can do than to start Favre, essentially give into him, give him all the power and have another offseason of complete nonsense.

If it means sacrificing a few wins, so be it. Move on already.

And the notion of Ted Thompson getting fired if we struggle this year is utterly ridiculous. If Ted Thompson gets fired because of stupid fan reaction to us losing a little bit, I will have completely lost faith in the Packers fan base, and the organization as a whole.

Brooke
07-29-2008, 12:41 PM
the only reason Brett can't compete is because we all know what would happen. Brett is the better QB and he would win the job back. Everyone knows he is the better QB

yeah a guy who won 3 MVP's, broke every single record, a SB champ, a Pro Bowler, a guy who only had one losing season should be a backup. GMAB TT

BrewCityBuck
07-29-2008, 12:47 PM
yeah a guy who won 3 MVP's, broke every single record, a SB champ, a Pro Bowler, a guy who only had one losing season should be a backup. GMAB TT

Brett Favre won 3 MVP's and helped us win the Superbowl 12 years ago. Get your head out of the sand. At some point you have to move on, are we going to be a slave to Brett Favre next offseason as well? I'd rather go into next season knowing what to think of Aaron Rodgers than going into another offseason of Favre being a total distraction or leaving and not having a clue about our QB of the future.

Delaying the Inevitable.

socalpkrbkr
07-29-2008, 12:55 PM
And the notion of Ted Thompson getting fired if we struggle this year is utterly ridiculous. If Ted Thompson gets fired because of stupid fan reaction to us losing a little bit, I will have completely lost faith in the Packers fan base, and the organization as a whole.

That's how it works man. You know it. 13-3 to a sub .500 year when you still had an opportunity to bring back the LEGEND. :pity:

If it means sacrificing a few wins, so be it. Move on already.

All the fans I know ain't trying to hear that **** when talking about a player such as Favre.

You certainly view it differently than I do. That's OK with me. A few is three though and that would leave us at 10 and 6. Possibly getting in with that record. I said below .500, that Brew is more than a few.

BrewCityBuck
07-29-2008, 01:03 PM
I just think it's laughable that some fans think their will be this huge drop off because Aaron Rodgers will be our starter. 13-3 was last year. 13-3 was in an awful NFC North, 13-3 was a season where EVERYTHING went our way, 13-3 was a team with literally no injuries.

This year, nothing is guarenteed. Brett Favre could comeback, start and we could win 8 games because of various injuries we didn't have the year before and huge breaks we didn't get the year before.

Thankfully Ted Thompson is doing the right thing, figuring out our future direction at our most important position. Favre had his chance, he retired, we moved on, rightfully so.

socalpkrbkr
07-29-2008, 01:14 PM
I just think it's laughable that some fans think their will be this huge drop off because Aaron Rodgers will be our starter. 13-3 was last year. 13-3 was in an awful NFC North, 13-3 was a season where EVERYTHING went our way, 13-3 was a team with literally no injuries.

This year, nothing is guarenteed. Brett Favre could comeback, start and we could win 8 games because of various injuries we didn't have the year before and huge breaks we didn't get the year before.

Thankfully Ted Thompson is doing the right thing, figuring out our future direction at our most important position. Favre had his chance, he retired, we moved on, rightfully so.

This fan never said he thinks we will struggle, I said "if." If you want to take the chance that most certainly would not be taken by many others then you must deal with the consequence. Obviously nothing is guaranteed, it never is. Injuries are a part of the game and TT has no control of that. All he can do is put the best players on the field.

ugottabjoshinme
07-29-2008, 01:19 PM

I really agree with everything you have said. We all know that the Packers will play better with Brett this coming season. But that really is the only thing to consider. With the way this offseason has gone and the initial commitment to moving forward, taking Favre back now would hurt the future of the franchise. IMO Ted has built a very young and talented team and in a couple of seasons they will be playing at a very high high level for years to come.

newdude
07-29-2008, 01:29 PM

Huh? Ur point is? Every winning team, not just the Pack, had things going for them(no injury, luck,etc.). So more confidence in a QB who started 16 seasons than a QB with no starts is laughable?

It's a no brainer that nothing is guaranteed, but we would like to increase the chance of winning with Favre.

Then why is TT holding onto this issue? Favre wants to play, TT won't let him back, won't release him, and ask for a 1st round for Favre.

:)

socalpkrbkr
07-29-2008, 01:34 PM
Release ain't happening newdude. That's the worst move TT could make at this point. Do you want to see Brett twice this year with an enemy jersey on?

newdude
07-29-2008, 01:42 PM
Release ain't happening newdude. That's the worst move TT could make at this point. Do you want to see Brett twice this year with an enemy jersey on?

No, no, no, that's not what I meant. I was trying to imply that TT is prolonging this bcuz he have options to stop this if he wants to "move on." Those r the options he has. Take Favre back=TT wouldn't. Release Favre=TT won't risk him going to rival and get nothing for him. Best option,Trade him=But TT is demanding a 1st rounder, knowing fully well no team will do it. So he is keeping this thing going. That's what I meant.:D

Trust me, I wish he could start for the Pack, no one else.:)

Packerbacker
07-29-2008, 01:44 PM
Why do people keep saying they want to see the qb of the future?? the idea of this league is to when a super bowl, with brett we know we have a chance with aaron we don't know squat. Why would anyone in their right mind want to take a chance at a sub par season when we could be knocking at the door again. If we always plan for tomorrow then we will constantly suck today.

Ryan Diesel
07-29-2008, 01:47 PM
Yeah the Bears and like 13 other teams have been spending the last 20 years trying to find the QB of the future.

iam brett favre
07-29-2008, 01:47 PM
I 100% agree, and applaud a Vikings fan coming here and being serouis, not baiting. I said that once I heard that Favre wasn't showing up, that TT knew he'd be way better than Rodgers. :pity: to TT.

newdude
07-29-2008, 02:00 PM
Yeah the Bears and like 13 other teams have been spending the last 20 years trying to find the QB of the future.

For real! We were spoiled for 16 seasons with a stable QB and now he wants to come back for the 17th, he's not allowed to and some r supporting that. Ppl seem to forget the era after Starr retired and how hard it was to be in a QB-less situation.

JaYsAllThEWaY12
07-29-2008, 02:00 PM
As unfortunate as it is, it is starting to look like Favre will end up in enemy colors next year. Here's all 31 other projected QBs for this upcoming season:

NFC
DAL - T. Romo
NYG - E. Manning
WASH - J. Campbell
PHI - D. McNabb
DET - J. Kitna
CHI - R. Grossman*
MIN - T. Jackson*
SF - A. Smith
SEA - M. Hasselback
ARI - M. Leinart
STL - M. Bulger
TB - J. Garcia*
ATL - M. Ryan
CAR - J. Delhomme*
NO - D. Brees

AFC
NE - T. Brady
BUF - T. Edwards
MIA - C. Henne
NYJ - C. Pennington*
CLE - D. Anderson
BAL - J. Flacco*
CIN - C. Palmer
PIT - B. Rothlesburger
INDY - P. Manning
HOU - M. Shaub
JAX - D. Garrard
TEN - V. Young
DEN - J. Cutler
OAK - J. Russell
KC - B. Croyle/D. Huard
SD - P. Rivers

All of the asterises are where there is some sort of need for QB. CAR, NYJ, and BAL have all said they aren't interested in acquiring Favre. In TB Garcia has proclaimed he is the starter, so who's left to trade with now? uhh MIN and CHI. If TT keeps excluding our own division as a destination for Favre to land, he could wind up being in camp with us the entire time, causing all kinds of distractions. Not to mention say Favre outperforms A-Rod all preseason long, and still gets benched. Now we lose our first game or two, and the team starts to realize the better QB is on the bench. What kind of chaos will that create?

ugottabjoshinme
07-29-2008, 02:01 PM
Why do people keep saying they want to see the qb of the future?? the idea of this league is to when a super bowl, with brett we know we have a chance with aaron we don't know squat. Why would anyone in their right mind want to take a chance at a sub par season when we could be knocking at the door again. If we always plan for tomorrow then we will constantly suck today.

You cant always look at everything from win this year standpoint, especially if you are the GM. You want to do the best you can to win this year while building your team to be good for years to come.

What happens if Favre comes back and plays. Rodgers is likely gone. The team might not make it to the superbowl because other NFC teams have increased talent. Then what happens. Favre retires at seasons end because the Packers cannot compete. Rodgers is gone. Brohm takes over with 1 year of sitting on the bench. The team is worse off going into the 2009 season than they would be having Rodgers starting his second season. Brohm could fail because he is not ready and the packers would be like most nfl teams...looking for a quarterback.

I know this situation is very hypothetical, but as the general manager of a team, things like this have to be considered. Bringing Favre back does not guarentee a super bowl title this season, so bringing him back could actually have no upside

Ryan Diesel
07-29-2008, 02:04 PM
We've been over this a million times, Rodgers ain't goin nowhere. He couldn't if he wanted to. He's stuck here til 2009 for sure, and unless someone gives us a 1st and 3rd round pick, he's not going anywhere in 2010.

StickyGreenFan
07-29-2008, 02:04 PM
first of all everyone complains about not doing anything in fa. what do we seriously need? a lotta of free agents got overpaid and didnt fit our needs. u know who else didnt do a whole lot in the offseason? the colts, chargers, and a couple other top contenders... i was mad we didnt sign anyone either, but it makes sense. as far as ahman green goes, didnt he go to houston and get injured AGAIN!? if u reflect on the moves that have been made, they aint that bad. as long as the team is winning im happy. this year we will reach playoffs, we will be ahead of our division again, and we will be fine

Ryan Diesel
07-29-2008, 02:08 PM
We need Safties and Guards for the last four years, what do you mean what do we seriously need. We've needed these things forever now and they haven't been addressed. I'm hoping this CB we drafted is ready to play in the NFL because we have sucked very badly at the nickel and dime positions as well. Going into last year Packer fans were screaming what about S, G and nickelback??? Those were the three things that hurt us last year, our defense would be the dopest in the league if it wasn't for those chinks in the armor. Our guard play since 05 has been disgusting, yet none of these areas have been addressed. Well now we're all F'd up at DT.

newdude
07-29-2008, 02:20 PM
We need Safties and Guards for the last four years, what do you mean what do we seriously need. We've needed these things forever now and they haven't been addressed. I'm hoping this CB we drafted is ready to play in the NFL because we have sucked very badly at the nickel and dime positions as well. Going into last year Packer fans were screaming what about S, G and nickelback??? Those were the three things that hurt us last year, our defense would be the dopest in the league if it wasn't for those chinks in the armor. Our guard play since 05 has been disgusting, yet none of these areas have been addressed. Well now we're all F'd up at DT.

Don't worry, Colledg, Spitz and co. will give Rodgers adequate protection.

:cry:

BrewCityBuck
07-29-2008, 03:10 PM

I wouldn't use the Bears as an example, for godsake, your going to compare our future quest to find a QB and use the Bears as an example of what it could be like for us? A team that for over 20 years has failed miserably in scouting offensive talent and putting effort into building an offense?

At least with us, we have the tools for a QB to be successfull, a good offensive line, a plethora of pass catchers at WR/TE and what looks to be a solid 1-2 punch at RB.

Our secondary is fine. Nick Collins and Atari Bigby are a serviceable duo, and Rouse looks to be a promising backup. Packers fans totally overreact to our problems at safety. For the most part they do a good job, but the problem is, whenever we see them on TV it's because of a mistake. They're solid.

And every team has a few holes, for godsake, you can't fill every hole and have a perfect roster, it's just not possible. Packers fans act like we have these massive problems when where better off than 90% of the NFL in terms of having the fewest holes. My lord.

Nothings ever good enough.

Ryan Diesel
07-29-2008, 03:32 PM
I watched Bigby get burnt up by every TE under the sun for the first 11-12 games last season. Nick Collins can't make a play or get a turnover to save his life. I like Rouse, but we haven't seen enough to know exactly how good he is, he does make stuff happen though. Jarrett Bush got roasted so often last year it was a joke. Every team knew it, and they went right after him. It was a problem from the year before, even though Patrick Dendy did a much better job than Bush did last year. Maybe every team has a few holes, but those teams aren't sittin on 35 mil. And to have the same holes for over 3 years is kind of inexcusable.

StickyGreenFan
07-29-2008, 03:34 PM
I wouldn't use the Bears as an example, for godsake, your going to compare our future quest to find a QB and use the Bears as an example of what it could be like for us? A team that for over 20 years has failed miserably in scouting offensive talent and putting effort into building an offense?

At least with us, we have the tools for a QB to be successfull, a good offensive line, a plethora of pass catchers at WR/TE and what looks to be a solid 1-2 punch at RB.

Our secondary is fine. Nick Collins and Atari Bigby are a serviceable duo, and Rouse looks to be a promising backup. Packers fans totally overreact to our problems at safety. For the most part they do a good job, but the problem is, whenever we see them on TV it's because of a mistake. They're solid.

And every team has a few holes, for godsake, you can't fill every hole and have a perfect roster, it's just not possible. Packers fans act like we have these massive problems when where better off than 90% of the NFL in terms of having the fewest holes. My lord.

Nothings ever good enough.

exactly, brett favre hadly got sacked and ryan grant rushed for the 2nd most yards in the league last half of the season. yea our line is a life or death situation :rolleyes: and atari is coo at safety, its his 2nd year on our team and he will be even better than last year. relax people, whats wrong with u guys?

BrewCityBuck
07-29-2008, 03:45 PM
I watched Bigby get burnt up by every TE under the sun for the first 11-12 games last season. Nick Collins can't make a play or get a turnover to save his life. I like Rouse, but we haven't seen enough to know exactly how good he is, he does make stuff happen though. Jarrett Bush got roasted so often last year it was a joke. Every team knew it, and they went right after him. It was a problem from the year before, even though Patrick Dendy did a much better job than Bush did last year. Maybe every team has a few holes, but those teams aren't sittin on 35 mil. And to have the same holes for over 3 years is kind of inexcusable.

I'm not saying these guys are perfect. Atari Bigby, for all the coverage mistakes and missed tackles, at least he made some plays and showed some real improvement by the end of the year. It was his first go-around as a starter and he was obviously going to get his bumps and bruises. Hopefully he carries that into this year. I think Nick Collins is solid, i've said all that needs to be said there.

Many teams in the NFL have holes on their team multiple seasons. It's just the way it is. It also takes time to get young players in, get them situated and to find good/startable players is tough. He's went out and gotten guards, this is a make or break year for the position.

It's not like there's anything great out there for us to get off FA. A bad FA market has been picked apart, nothing but scraps left. Not many FA's if they have a choice of teams want to go to GB, let alone come to GB and compete for a starting spot when they don't have to in other places. A lot of Packers fans underscore how hard it is for us to get FA's.

Ryan Diesel
07-29-2008, 05:22 PM
Yeah well the whole league just witnessed how we do business this offseason, so it's about to get a whole lot harder.

wwfd1220
07-29-2008, 05:54 PM
^^^ agreed ^^^^ but i feel that most veterans in the nfl already knew that tt did business like that.. mike holmgren 4 g.m. !!!!! lol