PDA

View Full Version : TT and Donald Driver interviews on Favre situation

hughest4
07-28-2008, 11:35 PM
TT's Quotes

* Brett and I have a couple conversations on Saturday for about 45 minutes. It was very professional and cordial. We both admitted it was a unique situation. We talked about different options that were available. At the end of the day we had still not agreed on what the best option is. We agreed to disagree.
* On why Favre agreed to delay reporting to training camp: "He cares very much about this team and he doesn't want to do anything that disrupts from that. He felt strongly he wanted to get that out."
* We're still working through where we are but we are still trying to do the right thing and we will continue to try to do the right thing for all the parties.
* With his retirement, we have made a commitment to move forward.
* There are scenarios where he would be here and we'd be fine.
* On why no competition: "We started down this path and it doesn't make sense for us to go back. We believe this is the path we should be on, in the best interest of this team for the long-term."
* On whether he would consider trading Favre to an NFC North team: "No."
* Thompson said the "if you come back you'll get me fired" would not be the way he would interpret that conversation.
* On the status of trade talks: "It's been kind of a kicking the tires thing."
* We're trying to do this so everybody comes out feeling OK.
* Release doesn't make a lot of sense for the Packers. I haven't heard from many people that think it is, even from the people that want to hang me in effigy.
* Thompson said that Favre could come back to the team even though he basically called Thompson a liar and was untrustworthy.
* Thompson said the Ryan Grant situation is unique and ongoing.

DD interview

Q: Would you welcome him back?
A: Of course we'd welcome him back, he's a legend. It'd be like if anybody else walking in here and wanting to come back and play, you have to welcome him back in. You take your hat off to him, he's one of the best players in Packers history as well as the NFL.

Q: So is the situation that they don't him back surreal?
A: I don't know. I don't know what's going on. Everybody wants us to make a comment on the issue but we don't know. It's the same light you've got. We watch what you guys put on TV. That's basically how we come up with our answers.

Q: Is there any question in your mind that Brett couldn't step right back into the flow?
A: I don't know. The biggest thing with that is I haven't seen him so I don't know what's going on. I just talk to him on the phone, that's about it. About two days ago.

Q: If he comes back, is it possible the locker room could be divided?
A: Why would we divide ourselves? That doesn't make any sense. It's a team thing. There's no man. I think that's the one thing you guys are getting confused about. You feel that one man runs everything. No, not at all. We know that we have to play football. If you have one guy on the football field, can you play? No. Who is he going to through the ball to? Is he just going to stand back there? No, it doesn't work that way. It's just like receiving. You have to have somebody throw it to you. No, no one man. We stick together. That's one thing we have done over the years: stick together.

Q: Replacing a legend is tough enough, is it tougher if that legend wants to come back in relation to Aaron Rodgers?
A: How tough can it get? You have to ask A-Rod that. No one knows how A-Rod feels.

Q: How had he handled this?
A: Pretty well, pretty well. And that's the thing that I take my hat off to him. If somebody else was in that position, maybe it would be a different thing. Right now he's been handling it well and he knows what he has to do. He just wants to play football.

Q: What did you expect today to be like?
A: Oh they told us you guys were coming in but that's fun for me because I get to get on TV a little bit more than usual. I'm not on TV all the time so this is fun.

Q: In your mind you have a preference who you want as the quarterback...
A: Right.

Q: But you're not going to tell us who that is...
A: Right now it's Aaron Rodgers.

Q: What is Brett came back?
A: I still go with Aaron Rodgers because I don't know what Brett's going to do. No one knows if he's coming back. Once we figure that out then we'll be able to tell you what you want.

Q: How do you replace a Brett Favre?
A: You don't replace him. You can't replace him. Has everybody ever replaced John Elway? No. Dan Marino? No. The only person they replaced was Joe Montana and that was just a great man by Steve Young. That's it. Hey, it would be hard to replace him.

Q: Would you like to see him traded?
A: I don't have no control over that. Yes, I'm his friend but I don't have no control over what goes on his life. I don't make no decision for him. He has to make that on his own, him and the organization.

Q: What would he look like in a Minnesota Vikings uniform?
A: Pretty ugly. That's what I told Sharper and Ryan Longwell. They look ugly in that uniform. All of them do. Everytime somebody leaves I tell them they'll look ugly in their uniform. It's nothing new.

Q: Are you hoping he comes back?
A: Look, I love him to death. If he walks in here and starts playing tomorrow, that'd be great. If he doesn't, then we move on. We all have to move on someday. Someday I have to retire and I will come back in here and say, 'Hey, I want to play again.' But then after that, when I retire, I'm retired. That's my opinion. But most people will want to come back. I may want to come back. I may get the itch but I have to move on.

Q: Is there anybody that would have trouble taking him back after what has transpired?
A: I don't know. It would be hard to say because we have no say so. We don't make any decisions, we all just have comments. That's all we can do.

Q: If Favre came back, don't you worry there would be some sort of division?
A: No, no. And I think that's the problem with everyone. Everyone's trying to say we'll separate, we'll split up, we'll go...No one's going to split up. This is a team thing. We know we have to play football, plain and simple. We can't let one person dictate what we're going to do. We can't do that. It's not going to happen, not at all.
-jsonline.com

Donald Driver really knows how to deal with this whole media thing. I think he answered his questions honestly and the right way, but at the same time i think he wants Favre back. Its unfortunate that he really has no say in the matter. I am done commenting about anything that TT says

newdude
07-28-2008, 11:56 PM
Thnx for posting this Hugh. But u really can tell DD wants Favre back and he's pretty reasonable in his answers. He knows whats going on and is giving similar attitudes toward Rodgers like Jennings. And this made me LOL:

Q: What would he look like in a Minnesota Vikings uniform?
A: Pretty ugly. That's what I told Sharper and Ryan Longwell. They look ugly in that uniform. All of them do. Everytime somebody leaves I tell them they'll look ugly in their uniform. It's nothing new.

Reading things TT said somehow irritates me more and more now. "unique and ongoing"...ugh.

socalpkrbkr
07-29-2008, 12:19 AM
Yeah I listened to the press conferences and I also read the transcript before I listened to them. I will say that TT's press conference reads a hell of a lot differently than it sounds when its coming out of his mouth. I'm sure people would agree with that. He totally contradicts himself in the press conference but whatever. I've no say, I'm just along for the ride. You know the vets on this team want Brett back. Of course they support Aaron but they the players know whats what when it comes to their chances with or without #4. I loved that part of Donald's interview where he was talking about former Packers wearing enemy uniforms. Classic........ugly! Great minds think alike.:) See avatar

Brunner
07-29-2008, 12:27 AM
I also found the "unique and ongoing" comment irritating. This guy lacks decisiveness. It's like he huddles in a ball and hopes it all goes away. How about you do something about both of these scenarios Ted? Even if I don't agree with your actions, at least the team can move on without these distractions! Grants contract offer was a joke! No he shouldn't be overpaid, but he deserves vastly more than that offer. Sign him to a 2-year deal! even if you slightly overpay him, it won't hurt you for long! We need to get Grant in camp!

newdude
07-29-2008, 01:04 AM
Yeah I listened to the press conferences and I also read the transcript before I listened to them. I will say that TT's press conference reads a hell of a lot differently than it sounds when its coming out of his mouth. I'm sure people would agree with that. He totally contradicts himself in the press conference but whatever. I've no say, I'm just along for the ride. You know the vets on this team want Brett back. Of course they support Aaron but they the players know whats what when it comes to their chances with or without #4. I loved that part of Donald's interview where he was talking about former Packers wearing enemy uniforms. Classic........ugly! Great minds think alike.:) See avatar

:cool: ........... :hi5:

I also found the "unique and ongoing" comment irritating. This guy lacks decisiveness. It's like he huddles in a ball and hopes it all goes away. How about you do something about both of these scenarios Ted? Even if I don't agree with your actions, at least the team can move on without these distractions! Grants contract offer was a joke! No he shouldn't be overpaid, but he deserves vastly more than that offer. Sign him to a 2-year deal! even if you slightly overpay him, it won't hurt you for long! We need to get Grant in camp!

:hi5:

SamG187
07-29-2008, 01:06 AM
You see everybody always assumes that its Brett Favre that makes the Packer tick, and Im not always so sure,I mean to a certain extent he does cuz he's a great leader but If it wasnt for DD I dont think many thing would be the same here in Packer country..I think there would be no Greg Jennings or Javon Walker or so on and so on..I think that if it wasnt for DD Favre would maybe have retired 3 years ago and we wouldnt even be having this conversation...The guy came from a tough backround and I think is somebody a lot of the younger guys look up to which doesnt allow us to have guys like Pacman Jones..DD is a special type of player to come buy and im glad he is on our squad and like I said before till some weasel tried jumping on me saying "why do you think DD wants Favre back," he deserves a ring more than anybody in the league and I would love to see him and Favre both go out like Bettis

socalpkrbkr
07-29-2008, 01:14 AM
I would love to see him and Favre both go out like Bettis

I'm really not that greedy Sam but how about Elway?

Ryan Diesel
07-29-2008, 01:15 AM
I thought some of McCarthy's quotes were the most interesting. He completely changed his tune from a couple days ago. He was just on tv on like saturday all anti Favre, but he sounded almost like he was welcoming Favre back with some of the things he said today.

SamG187
07-29-2008, 01:18 AM
I'm really not that greedy Sam but how about Elway?

haha thats funny you would bring up one of my all time most hated players haha...Na but I think if Favre comes back you could see a SB and a retirement from both which would be the best thing since sliced bread, hopefully A Rod can help get DD a ring tho

socalpkrbkr
07-29-2008, 01:21 AM
I thought some of McCarthy's quotes were the most interesting. He completely changed his tune from a couple days ago. He was just on tv on like saturday all anti Favre, but he sounded almost like he was welcoming Favre back with some of the things he said today.

Ehh, I don't know man. He started to say something about how he and Brett didn't agree about the game planning or something like that and then he seemed to get side tracked with his own answer and moved away from it. I wish he would have kept going about it. Do you know what I'm talking about? I would go and find it but the lil mamacita is calling....LOL

robdizzle3
07-29-2008, 06:04 AM
You can tell that DD wants Favre back by when they asked him do you have a preference on who he wants at QB and he said right now Aaron Rodgers and that tells me he wants Brett but righ now he has to go with A-Rod because he is there

SDteacher
07-29-2008, 09:24 AM
You can tell that DD wants Favre back by when they asked him do you have a preference on who he wants at QB and he said right now Aaron Rodgers and that tells me he wants Brett but righ now he has to go with A-Rod because he is there

I didn't get that from his answer. He said right now because right now A-rod is the qb. It would be the same answer no matter who was the "crowned" qb at the time. I can't say that my highschool football days are comparable to NFL but when someone was given an opportunity you backed him and stayed positive. That's what DD is doing, anything else would not be a good TEAM decision, to me that's what he was saying throughout the entire interview.

Brooke
07-29-2008, 12:00 PM
I think DD wants him back. The players may say they support A-Rod BUT if Brett were to come back some of them would want him back. They know Brett can give them a chance to win. People like Driver, Al Harris, Woodson, etc are running out of chances to win and Brett could give them the best chance

BrewCityBuck
07-29-2008, 01:07 PM
Its unfortunate that he really has no say in the matter. I am done commenting about anything that TT says

Why should Donald Driver have any say in the matter?

SDteacher
07-29-2008, 01:19 PM

Could not agree more. It would just be terrible to let players have a say in other players careers. DD is welcome to have his own thoughts and reasons, and he can even choose to voice them if he wants. But it should end at that. That's the thing with Favre saying he's mad TT didn't do what he wanted him to do. Really Brett? Really?

hughest4
07-29-2008, 03:17 PM

I didn't say that Donald Driver should have any say in the matter because i don't think he should. I was just trying to say that I want Favre back and if DD had any pull in the decision then he might be here. Makes sense or no? In my mind it does haha...