PDA

View Full Version : What should the Red Sox do with Manny Ramirez?

phlp_bj
07-28-2008, 11:25 PM
express your opinions

In_Ned_I_Trust
07-28-2008, 11:29 PM
They have ridden through all his bs before why stop now? 20 million is too much for him at this stage in his career so I would not pick up his option.

Halladay
07-28-2008, 11:32 PM
Let him walk and join his favourite team growing up(the Bluejays):D

TheBatchelor213
07-28-2008, 11:38 PM
they have to keep him imo

quiksilver2491
07-28-2008, 11:45 PM
Nothing, I understand all the unrest he has caused the Red Sox FO but you can't sabotage the season by letting a 150 OPS+ player walk out for a few prospects, what he produces can't be even close to replicated this year or any time soon IMO. For all his headaches I would be terrified to not see him in the Red Sox lineup, especially without a 100% Ortiz. The media has blown this out of proportion, the Sox FO may be fed up with him but they aren't ignorant, they won't let him leave unless its fair value, they aren't getting that right now, he stays until seasons end. A sign and trade can be very likely after or that or they could just let him walk.

Run Gardner Run
07-28-2008, 11:45 PM
He is becoming a hassle for their team. I have a feeling they will have a tough time getting anything great for him if they resign him in the offseason and then deal him (sheffield deal) but they will likely get something better than that

ruslan898
07-29-2008, 12:17 AM
keep him n please dont trade him to the phillies.

JETty12213
07-29-2008, 12:30 AM
u have to look for a trade of somewhat equal value. his numbers say it all. u cant release him when u can get SOMETHING for him. u pick his option up and it just gives the Red Sox a bad look. they have a lot of young talented appriciative guys on the team. but b/c of manny they come off as jerks. im a die hard yank fan and wana see him leave boston today but it really is the right thing to do

sboyajian
07-29-2008, 08:43 AM
u have to look for a trade of somewhat equal value. his numbers say it all. u cant release him when u can get SOMETHING for him. u pick his option up and it just gives the Red Sox a bad look. they have a lot of young talented appriciative guys on the team. but b/c of manny they come off as jerks. im a die hard yank fan and wana see him leave boston today but it really is the right thing to do

they can't make roster decisions based on how it will make them look.

Manny is overpaid for the numbers he has put up last year and this year, but he is still putting up good numbers. Because of that you can't simply let him walk and end up on any team that offers him the most while you get stuck with 2 draft picks.

If they don't work out a trade, they will take his 2009 option and try to work something out in the offseason.

The Schmooze
07-29-2008, 09:29 AM
pay him.................pay dat man his money

kobe2008mvp
07-29-2008, 10:06 AM
trade him 2 the ANGELS 4 mathews jr. and kotchman plus maby a pick.

bagwell368
07-29-2008, 10:16 AM
Manny wants $100M for 4 years. He isn't worth it. He can have $100M for 5 years, with the 5th year a team option for his ego, but it won't be here.

If they excercise the option he will continue to make trouble, so that isn't an option at all.

Manny's SLG trend line the past 3 years is worrying: .619 .493 .538. His OPS+ tendline since 2002: 160 152 153 165 126 144

He isn't a 150 OPS or .575+ SLG anymore, he can't play LF anyplace but Fenway, and he generally sucks on the bases. He isn't worth $25M a year or $20M a year, or IMO $15M a year over the next 4 years.

Since the Sox seem content to live on FA pick-ups and the fruits of the farm I say trade him & one of the more reliable arms in the pen to a contender for a top rated C on the farm.

The Sox won't win this year, even w/ Manny they may not make the playoffs, with the two recent trophies they don't have to. They can scapegoat Manny and Ortiz's games missed, and nobody will raise much of a stink. Very much like the Pats not caving in to sign the WR that went to Seattle.

Deal Manny now. They traded Nomar, let Damon and Pedro walk - can you imagine what a mess they would have if they re-upped those guys when they could have?

bagwell368
07-29-2008, 10:18 AM
trade him 2 the ANGELS 4 mathews jr. and kotchman plus maby a pick.

How long have you been watching baseball? Trade a pick? Not

You want a contender to overpay about 4.5x for Manny? Try some reality

marlinsfan24
07-29-2008, 10:19 AM
do w/e u guys want, but dont trade him to the phillies or mets.

IndiansFan337
07-29-2008, 10:24 AM
They're going to keep him. They want to win this year.

If they do win, then they'll give him his extension.

If they don't win, they'll probably exercise his option & then try to trade him, much to his dislike.

McJoe
07-29-2008, 10:27 AM
they should do what they always do and just sit on their hands and listen to him...lol

Cub_StuckinSTL
07-29-2008, 10:28 AM
Trade him to the cards for Rasmus and pitching prospects. Manny comes to STL and Manny being Manny creates a clubhouse cancer that leads to a confrontation between Pujols, Ankiel, and Manny. Ends up ruining all their careers and the cardinals spiral downward to the bottom of the NL......
j/k

Come on how many times have we heard manny being traded at the deadline

Tragedy
07-29-2008, 10:30 AM
Recently, I've heard sources such as Peter Gammons say that Ramirez option will likely NOT be picked up at seasons end.

I couldn't disagree more. No matter what happens to Ramirez the rest of the season, I believe the Red Sox WILL pick up the option, and either keep or trade him. They could very likely get more on the trade market (Especially in the winter where they don't set a deadline to trade him) than the two picks they'd get if they just let him walk. The asking price would be less than what it has been in previous years, but still enough for the Red Sox to pick up the option.

Ramirez playing days for Boston should very well be over after 2008. I can't see a situation in which he returns to Boston. I guess the only logical explanation for him returning next year would be a World Series title this year.

MarkieMark48
07-29-2008, 11:05 AM
keep him... if they make the playoffs and win the WS, they will easily make 20 mil. bucks selling red sox apperal to the ever-growing red sox bandwagon, and TV coverage for next year

NESports2004
07-29-2008, 11:09 AM
this will all blow over like everything else with Manny always has and the Sox will win the WS this year and bring him back next and the year after for a four-peat.

acecrusher06
07-29-2008, 11:24 AM
name the outfielders making more than $17 million this year.

ie: vernon wells, andruw jones, soriano, beltran....and a few more.

who is having a better season than manny anyways? i would vote to just pick up his option and ignore his antics and remember the truth, without him, the sox would not have won 2 world series in 4 years.

acecrusher06
07-29-2008, 11:24 AM
plus you can blame massarotti and shaunnessy (sp?) for blowing this thing out of proportion. we get sick of your crap sometimes manny but we love you!!

BRADY4MVP
07-29-2008, 11:25 AM
pay him.................pay dat man his money

Great ROUNDERS quote!

patriotsrock2k2
07-29-2008, 11:55 AM
you forgot to make the fourth option of "Do nothing now - make the decision after the season is over." That is the best option and the one that will happen.

Yendil
07-29-2008, 12:02 PM
I personally think its in the best interest in the company to force him to play this year and dump him in the offseason. If you make him play he will have to play to his full caliber or his value will drop, you won't find a good trade out there for him, infact if he walks he would most likely be a Type A player giving you an extra first round pick in the draft. Unless a team dishes up a first round caliber player or prospect it wont be worth it. If you keep manny he will have to actually play to keep his value up for a contract he wants so it can benefit the Red Sox, because it would hurt manny more than the Red Sox if he slacks off because no team would sign him for a lot of money. Teams care about now and not what you did 5 years ago, so manny would have to play at a high level if he ever wants a high contract. If he continues to slack then the Red Sox will be in the same position they are in now, he won't get his high contract. So to me its a win-win if they keep him and not pick up his option and get that draft pick in the next draft.

nstachowski
07-29-2008, 12:12 PM
Send him to STL :-)

YankeeFan89
07-29-2008, 12:29 PM
Let him walk to the Yankees or Mets...He grew up in Washington Heights about time he plays for one of the NY teams. :p

Mziolkow
07-29-2008, 12:41 PM
trade him to the sox for Uribe and Konerko lol

bleedsREDforevr
07-29-2008, 01:17 PM
If they excercise the option he will continue to make trouble, so that isn't an option at all.

Trouble for who? Me, You, The fans, The Media...I don't think so. The only people that have to worry about his antics are the Sox brass. They would not have won 2 World Series titles without him and probably won't if they deal him now. Everybody tends to whine about Manny but we don't have to deal with him everyday....

Apophis
07-29-2008, 01:21 PM
Manny will be playing for the Mets next season.. Watch..

x_notorious
07-29-2008, 01:22 PM
I say keep him. The distraction is always there with Manny, no matter where he goes. If the Red Sox trade him, there is no way on Earth they will receive the fire power Manny brings in return. His bat is just way too valuable for the line-up. Bite the bullet and keep him.

bagwell368
07-29-2008, 01:34 PM
Manny will be playing for the Mets next season.. Watch..

Why wait? Send him now!

DaSox_05
07-29-2008, 01:44 PM
Trade him to the White Sox for Juan Uribe :D