PDA

View Full Version : Cubs Shopping Scott Eyre

CubsGirl
07-28-2008, 07:31 PM
The Cubs are reportedly shopping Scott Eyre to American League teams.

The team may or may not have its eye on a more reliable left-hander to replace him. The Cubs are currently carrying three left-handed reliever, but Neal Cotts isn't easy to trust and Sean Marshall remains next in line in the event of an injury to a starter.
roto

giventofly
07-28-2008, 07:34 PM
Hm....

Buckwheat
07-28-2008, 07:37 PM
Bleh. Take Howry!

Cullksinikers
07-28-2008, 07:47 PM
I'd rather see Howry go personally....

Cubsfan1433
07-28-2008, 07:48 PM
no, Howry please

Knuckles
07-28-2008, 08:03 PM
Take them both!

SDBearsFan
07-28-2008, 08:07 PM
Howry and Eyre leaving sounds good to me.

jayjay124
07-28-2008, 09:04 PM
Howry and Eyre leaving sounds good to me.

X2

Second City
07-28-2008, 09:12 PM
What can we get for them? Prospects?

CubbieSteve
07-28-2008, 11:50 PM
Maybe we can add a PTBNL or cash and get us a nice bat off the bench.

JayBandit
07-28-2008, 11:53 PM
Our pitching is fine...i'd rather dump ward at this point. He's looked awful this year

DAAAAABEARS
07-29-2008, 12:47 AM
Howry and Ward definately have underperformed and have been worse than I'd expect their replacements to be (hoffpauer and ANYONE)

DLEE4MVP
07-29-2008, 12:54 AM
Yeah Howry can get us a bag of balls in return for all I care, he sucks hard...I think with Shark in there now as well as Gaudin pitching well there really is no place for Howry...

cubsfan9124
07-29-2008, 01:07 AM
Well the tigers always are looking for relief..

They can have Howry.

Brooklyn22
07-29-2008, 01:18 AM
Ward, Howry and a PTBNL to Baltimore for Sherrill.... Not serious but sounds nice don't it.

DAAAAABEARS
07-29-2008, 01:19 AM
I actually think Ward has some value. But Howry has just been good awful. I really don't see how Eyre is "unreliable". He's cy young compared to "walk the only lefty i face" Cotts.

Wrigleyboy25
07-29-2008, 01:59 AM
• Now that Jeff Samardzija looks as if he can be to the Cubs what K-Rod was to the 2002 Angels and what Joba Chamberlain was to the Yankees last year, the Cubs are no longer shopping for arms of any kind. According to clubs that have spoken with them, the only commodity the Cubs are still asking about is left-handed-hitting center fielders. But that's a need they're more likely to fill in the offseason than in the next three days.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=mlb_trade_deadline&month=7&year=2008

Heyyo1900
07-29-2008, 08:04 AM
I know where they can find one of those! Maybe he's playing in AAA and starting to tear the cover off of the ball?

Randall Simon
07-29-2008, 08:42 AM
Eyre turned it around late last season, come to think of it so did Howry. I'd rather keep them and shelter them for a while than dump em for some minor leaguers. That being said, Eyre should have more trade value as a lefty.

windycityD
07-29-2008, 10:24 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=mlb_trade_deadline&month=7&year=2008

I like how a lot of people assume Edmonds is "ok" to play. He's not-literally or figuratively. A 38 yr old .236 hitter with a ton of rust in the knee=make it happen now and cover one's ***.

Add a bat or else Hendry.

mawp
07-29-2008, 10:33 AM
I like how a lot of people assume Edmonds is "ok" to play. He's not-literally or figuratively. A 38 yr old .236 hitter with a ton of rust in the knee=make it happen now and cover one's ***.

Add a bat or else Hendry.

Jim Edmonds as a Cub:
270/364/546/910

BLB552000
07-29-2008, 10:34 AM
I actually think Ward has some value. But Howry has just been good awful. I really don't see how Eyre is "unreliable". He's cy young compared to "walk the only lefty i face" Cotts.

Yeah Cotts has been horrible.....especially with that lone ER and 3 whole BB's in 7 2/3 IP the month of July.

ggross
07-29-2008, 11:09 AM
Jim Edmonds as a Cub:
270/364/546/910

But that doesn't factor in the games Edmonds misses. When he can't play or doesn't play, the result is often DeRosa in the OF or Johnson facing a righty. That's the big problem with Edmonds. And when DeRosa plays OF - Cedeno/Fonty isn't something I want to rely on for the 2nd half.

I think this is why the Cubs need to add offense, if anything.

windycityD
07-29-2008, 11:37 AM
Jim Edmonds as a Cub:
270/364/546/910

Well aware of the two weeks in June stat wonder that is/ was Jim Edmonds. So what happens if he and the clearly gimped out knee goes down for good? I assume you would not be ok w/ Johnson getting most of the AB's out there..?

This is really not just about Edmonds, though. It's also about Fukudome and DeRosa, both of whom have been taking significant dips south for a month running, and in the case of DeRosa, we're talking about a guy who has little business playing OF. Hats off to him, he's done pretty well for the most part, but he does not belong out there.

CF is a band aid at best.

mawp
07-29-2008, 11:46 AM
But that doesn't factor in the games Edmonds misses. When he can't play or doesn't play, the result is often DeRosa in the OF or Johnson facing a righty. That's the big problem with Edmonds. And when DeRosa plays OF - Cedeno/Fonty isn't something I want to rely on for the 2nd half.

I think this is why the Cubs need to add offense, if anything.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'd love to see another bopper added just as much as the next guy, but I try to be a little realistic.

Yes, Edmonds is going to miss some games, but that was known when he was signed. I think we're pretty lucky to have the flexibility that we do, and Fontenot at 2B, Fuku in CF, and DeRo in RF isn't that bad of an option when Jimmy can't go.

Is it worth more prospects for a few games?

mawp
07-29-2008, 11:53 AM
Well aware of the two weeks in June stat wonder that is/ was Jim Edmonds. So what happens if he and the clearly gimped out knee goes down for good? I assume you would not be ok w/ Johnson getting most of the AB's out there..?

This is really not just about Edmonds, though. It's also about Fukudome and DeRosa, both of whom have been taking significant dips south for a month running, and in the case of DeRosa, we're talking about a guy who has little business playing OF. Hats off to him, he's done pretty well for the most part, but he does not belong out there.

CF is a band aid at best.

Personally, I can't really be worried about injuries. It's not something you can count on or plan for. What would happen if we lost ARam or DLee for the remainder of the year? You gotta put the best option out there, and like I said (when Edmonds can't go) you put Fuku in CF (yes, he's slumping) DeRo in RF and Fontenot at 2B vs RHP and hope your pitching can keep you in games. It's not ideal, but it can work.

I agree, DeRosa shouldn't be an everyday option in the OF but you gotta go with what you have.

And yes, CF is definitely a band aid.

ggross
07-29-2008, 12:14 PM
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'd love to see another bopper added just as much as the next guy, but I try to be a little realistic.

Yes, Edmonds is going to miss some games, but that was known when he was signed. I think we're pretty lucky to have the flexibility that we do, and Fontenot at 2B, Fuku in CF, and DeRo in RF isn't that bad of an option when Jimmy can't go.

Is it worth more prospects for a few games?

It depends on who they'd get of course, but the farm is getting a little thin and giving up prospects is always a big concern. I just think it's misleading to display someone's stats as if you're getting that everyday. Sort of a pet peave of mine. For example, I cringe when I see people post Barry Larkin for the HOF numbers... they should SOMEHOW factor in that Luis Quinones, Jeff Branson and guys like that played a lot of SS in his place when he was on the DL all those times.

mawp
07-29-2008, 12:17 PM
It depends on who they'd get of course, but the farm is getting a little thin and giving up prospects is always a big concern. I just think it's misleading to display someone's stats as if you're getting that everyday. Sort of a pet peave of mine. For example, I cringe when I see people post Barry Larkin for the HOF numbers... they should SOMEHOW factor in that Luis Quinones, Jeff Branson and guys like that played a lot of SS in his place when he was on the DL all those times.

Yeah, I understand your point, but my point was to disprove windycity's ".236 hitter" comment.

ggross
07-29-2008, 12:46 PM
Yeah, I understand your point, but my point was to disprove windycity's ".236 hitter" comment.

Got it!

jdgrabo
07-29-2008, 12:57 PM
Eyre probably does have more value, but I don't see us moving him with the current situation in our bullpen re: lefties. Let's face it, Marshall is really a starter, so his role is probably as a swing guy/long reliever. Cotts is not the most consistent. Eyre hasn't pitched much at all lately. Lou's going to need two lefties in the pen, so which two do you want? I think Marshall will go back down when Wood is ready to come back, so trading Eyre leaves you with one lefty- Cotts.

Moving Eyre doesn't make sense right now..

ggross
07-29-2008, 03:41 PM
Eyre probably does have more value, but I don't see us moving him with the current situation in our bullpen re: lefties. Let's face it, Marshall is really a starter, so his role is probably as a swing guy/long reliever. Cotts is not the most consistent. Eyre hasn't pitched much at all lately. Lou's going to need two lefties in the pen, so which two do you want? I think Marshall will go back down when Wood is ready to come back, so trading Eyre leaves you with one lefty- Cotts.

Moving Eyre doesn't make sense right now..

I completely agree. Moving him makes no sense. Marshall looks like he should be the odd man out to me...