PDA

View Full Version : Training Camp Updates

HOWE do i do it
07-28-2008, 06:32 PM
There is a lot of news that comes out during training camp, some of which really isn't deserving of it's own thread. So, this is a way to keep everything organized. If you hear or see anything, feel free to post it in here!

HOWE do i do it
07-28-2008, 06:36 PM
Monday, July 28th 2008

1:33 p.m.: During full team drills, Hester lined up with Brandon Lloyd at receiver with the No. 1 offense. Corey Graham was opposite Hester at cornerback with the No. 1 defense, filling in for Charles Tillman, who's out again. Mark Anderson is having a good practice, having batted down two passes—one apiece by Grossman and Orton.

This is the way Chicago had it planned before Hester's two-day holdout and hamstring injury. The Bears will likely still use a WR rotation this year, also involving Earl Bennett and Marty Booker. With his return duties arguably most important, don't look for Hester to play more than 60% of the offensive snaps.

1:05: Marcus Harrison is working with the No. 1 defense with Anthony Adams not at practice. We'll check out why later.

12:15: Nicest pass so far: Brad Maynard practicing a botched PAT by rolling out and lofting a ball kicker Robbie Gould pulled down in the end zone for a TD. Good hands for the guy with the strong leg.

12:10: Chris Williams isn't practicing again but did some light running on the side. He was joined by Kevin Jones. Olin Kreutz and Chester Adams. Desmond Clark and Marty Booker are getting the day off. Not sure if those are injury-related or just rest.

Source: Tribune (http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/huddleup/2008/07/bears-camp-da-4.html) and Rotoworld

Cub_StuckinSTL
07-28-2008, 07:47 PM
Comcast didn't say much in their report.

SDBearsFan
07-28-2008, 08:06 PM
I was even thinking earlier that this thread would be a good idea.

SDBearsFan
07-28-2008, 08:06 PM
Mark Anderson got into it with someone during drills, no big deal, just an update.

HOWE do i do it
07-28-2008, 08:17 PM
Yeah, I think we had one last year, and I completely forgot to do it. Better late then never.

ChiCubs54
07-28-2008, 08:43 PM
Monday, July 28th 2008

QB BATTLEWorking with the first team, Rex Grossman was stymied in the two-minute drill. He had a pass deflected by blitzing Lance Briggs and then took a sack, and the possession ended when Zac Atterberry missed a 54-yard field goal. Earlier, a poorly thrown deep ball to Earl Bennett was easily picked off by Charles Tillman, and there were a couple near-picks earlier in the afternoon. Grossman did do well in a red-zone drill, but overall the quarterback competition was less than enthralling and probably a wash for the day. Kyle Orton excelled in the two-minute drill with a nice toss to Brandon Rideau and a third-down pickup by Mark Bradley. Hunter Hillenmeyer made a leaping pick of an Orton throw to Kellen Davis during team drills. ON THE FIELDIt's hard not to notice Bradley limping a little on his right knee. He had arthroscopic surgery in May and still may be working his way back into form. Tillman made a handful of nice plays and is at full speed after missing the first two days of camp. Garrett Wolfe had an electric run on a draw play that drew cheers usually reserved for Devin Hester plays. Tommie Harris was dominant in one-on-one pass-rush drills -- no surprise there. The Bears spent a good deal of time working on downing punts from Brad Maynard near the goal line. Rookie Zack Bowman did well.

Source: Chicago Tribune

ChiCubs54
07-29-2008, 02:51 PM
Monday, July 28th 2008

Corey Graham, filling in at right cornerback while Charles Tillman was excused for personal reasons, was beaten by Brandon Lloyd for a 35-yard TD pass from Kyle Orton. But he came back on the next play to pick off an underthrown ball intended for tight end Greg Olsen, one of two interceptions for the day. ... Center Olin Kreutz, on the physically unable to perform list since the start of camp with a foot injury, was running sprints before practice. Running back Kevin Jones, also on the PUP list as he rehabs from knee surgery, did some light running as well.

ChiCubs54
07-29-2008, 02:54 PM
Monday, July 28th 2008

Corey Graham and fifth-round rookie Zack Bowman both had interceptions in 11-on-11. ... Defensive tackle Matt Toeaina overpowered Josh Beekman in individual pass-rush drills. ... Running back Kevin Jones, who remains on the physically-unable-to-practice list and has yet to practice, was close to full speed while running and cutting on the side. ... Defensive tackle Israel Idonije, wide receiver Marty Booker and tight end Desmond Clark were held out of practice Monday with minor ailments. ... Cornerback Charles Tillman and defensive tackle Anthony Adams were excused from Monday's noon practice for personal reasons and both are expected back for today's 3 p.m. practice.

Bringing the heat: On Sunday, coach Lovie Smith said he appreciated the relatively cool weather that accompanied the start of camp and the lack of heat-related injuries, but he also said he wanted his team to get some work in warmer weather. They got it Monday with a heat-humidity combination that raised the heat index to 96 and made for the most uncomfortable practice of camp.

"You need this," Smith said. "We were out here over two hours. We have quite a few 12 o'clock games; that's why we practice at this time. But the guys don't complain."

Warmer weather is expected for today, with a heat index that could hit 106.

Fuselage
07-29-2008, 04:30 PM
I heard that Monk jumped 30 feet in the air for a touchdown and then ran the length of the field in 2.4 seconds. Can anyone confirm that?

ChiCubs54
07-29-2008, 04:53 PM
Tuesday, July 29th 2008

Chances are good the Bears will get one mandatory piece back today in their efforts to rebuild the offensive line.

Six-time Pro Bowl center Olin Kreutz will take a physical before practice this afternoon at 3. If his repaired Achilles tendon checks out, he will be removed from the physically unable to perform list and cleared to participate, at least partially, in practice.

Kreutz has missed the first six days of training camp and seven practices as he mends. He underwent a procedure to clear up a minor injury that has bothered him for years a week before camp. He did some running on the side on Monday and there were no setbacks with that work. This would give him more than a week to prepare for the preseason opener Aug. 7 vs. Kansas City at Soldier Field.

The Bears expect to have only two starters where they were at the beginning of this season vs. the start of 2007--Kreutz and right guard Roberto Garza. John Tait has been playing right tackle exclusively after manning the left tackle post for the last three seasons. Terrence Metcalf is at left guard and John St. Clair has been by himself at left tackle.

Rookie tackle Chris Williams has been out four straight days and missed five practices with a back issue. It's unknown if he will return to the field today and with each passing day St. Clair has got a firmer hold on the job. Williams looked to be moving around better today and did some stretching and light running on the side Monday. We will Twitter some updates from the practice field in a short while.

Also, defensive tackle Anthony Adams returned to camp after missing one day to attend a funeral in Detroit. He is expected to practice. Adams is also zeroing in on a starting job as Dusty Dvoracek remains sidelined with a pulled right calf muscle. A timetable for his return is not known.

Bulldog76
07-29-2008, 05:27 PM
LT- St Clair
LG- Metcalf
C- Beekman
RG- Garza
RT- Tait

Can't imagine why our defense is impressing thus far...

slapshots1921
07-29-2008, 07:06 PM
Nick Hill-QB-Bears Jul. 29 - 6:30 pm et

Bears waived QB Nick Hill.

Hill signed with the Bears in April after going undrafted out of Southern Illinois. Caleb Hanie is now the favorite to serve as No. 3 quarterback.- Rotoworld

ChiCubs54
07-29-2008, 07:12 PM
Tuesday, July 29th 2008

4:21 p.m. The Bears waived quarterback Nick Hill from Southern illinois and plan to bring back tight end Marcus Stone. Stone got cut after Devin Hester signed his new contract this weekend. The team hasn't started any offensive/defensive drills yet -- it's been all special teams work so far.

4:25 p.m. After working more than a half hour on special teams, the offense is going to work. It's Rex Grossman's day back with the first team, and he has center Olin Kreutz back to work with.

4:31 p.m. Don't blame rex. Rookie Matt Forte just dropped a screen pass from Grossman in 7-on-7 drills.

4:36 p.m. Figures a pick would follow. Kyle Orton tried to hit Fontel Mines in the corner of the end zone but the ball was picked off by rookie Zackary Bowman. Call it a good play by Bowman, not a bad throw from Orton.

4:43 p.m. Devin Hester wanted to be paid like a top receiver, but he just caught a screen pass from Grossman and dropped it while trying to dance away from tackles. Nathan Vasher scooped it up. Hester needs some work.

4:45 p.m. Kyle Orton just threw the best pass of the day, finding Mike Hass in the middle of the field between defenders.

4:50 p.m. Orton just drew the biggest applause of the day, zipping a pass to Mark Bradley over the middle with a quick delivery.

4:52 p.m. Don't expect too many option passes from Matt Forte if he throws like he just did. His pass sailed about 10 feet wide of the intended target, Brandon Lloyd.

5:00 p.m. Reserve offensive lineman Anthony Oakley left the field with some type of injury.

5:03 p.m. Give the quarterback edge to Orton so far today. He's sharp with his passes over the middle, hitting receivers in stride.

5:05 p.m. Spoke too soon. Orton just lobbed a ball picked off by Craig Steltz in the end zone. It was intended for Greg Olsen. Not the way to end practice

HOWE do i do it
07-29-2008, 07:27 PM
:cry:

NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK!

bears118
07-30-2008, 10:22 AM
I heard that Monk jumped 30 feet in the air for a touchdown and then ran the length of the field in 2.4 seconds. Can anyone confirm that?

Actually, it was 2.55 seconds but he did have Vasher hanging on to one leg. :eyebrow:

DamnGoat
07-30-2008, 02:46 PM
ChicagoSports.com (http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/huddleup/2008/07/bears-camp-da-6.html)

10:56 a.m. Today's early session, closed to the public, started with special teams work. The team seems intent on developing rookie Earl Bennett into a punt returner although the sure-handed receiver continues to drop punts.

As the team broke off into individual drills, Brian Urlacher, Hunter Hillenmeyer and Adewale Ogunleye are sitting out.

10:58 a.m. Mike Brown, Mark Bradley, Mark Anderson, Tommie Harris, Israel Idonije and Olin Kreutz are getting the morning off. Rookie Chris Williams continues to be sidelined with back spasms.

11:08 a.m. Reserve guard Anthony Oakley is practicing despite injuring his hand in practice Tuesday.

11:17 a.m. Rex Grossman and Caleb Hanie are taking all the reps at quarterback with Kyle Orton resting for the night session.

11:19 a.m. Anderson and idonije grabbed their helmets and are practice after watching the first part of drills.

11:22 a.m. Add fullback Jason McKie to the list of veterans sitting out.

11:28 a.m. Rookie receiver Marcus Monk has stood out so far this morning. He's still not the most polished receiver, but he's catching balls.

HOWE do i do it
07-31-2008, 12:11 AM
8:27 p.m.: Rashied Davis, running a post route, was hit in stride by Orton, the best throw of the night so far.

8:22 p.m.: Peters is back after leaving the field with a chin injury.

8:16 p.m.: Mike Brown dropped a sure interception off a terrible pass from Orton. A frustrated Brown grabs the ball and punts in the air.

8:15 p.m.: First little fight of training camp as tight end Fontel Mines gets pushed by Josh Gattis but then goes and shoves Jamar Williams as payback.

8:06 p.m.: Lloyd is back, and Orton tried to hit him on a deep ball but overthrew him. After the play, reserve safety Leonard Peters left the field with tape wrapped on his chin.

7:57 p.m.: Receiver Brandon Lloyd is getting his right leg worked on and has tape on his left. The last thing the Bears need is another injury problem but it appears to be cramps.

7:52 p.m.: Devin Hester just wowed the crowd by beating Corey Graham, then falling on his rear end to make a catch.

7:35 p.m.: Cornerback Charles Tillman is out again for personal reasons. Second year defensive end Dan Bazuin has a sleeve on to protect his left knee and is not practicing.

7:30 p.m.: With the wind at his back, robbie gould nailed at 67 yard field goal before the start of practice. No wonder they paid him the big bucks this offseason.

7:28 p.m.: The list of players out for tonight's practice include Tommie Harris, Mark Bradley, Kevin Payne, Dusty Dvoracek, Jason McKie, Chester Adams, Chris Williams, Garrett Wolfe and Kevin Jones. Kyle Orton is back after missing the morning, as is Brian Urlacher, Mike Brown, Olin Kreutz and Adewale Ogunleye.

Tribune (http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/huddleup/)

Tankjeep
07-31-2008, 06:35 AM
keep 'em coming.....i'm getting goose bumps as i read 'em. bear down!

Bulldog76
07-31-2008, 09:57 AM
BTFD!!!

Bear The F Down

Seems like both QBs are struggling...gulp...

Soop
07-31-2008, 11:35 AM
It's training camp, everyone struggles here and there.

Bulldog76
07-31-2008, 11:57 AM
Wow...I envy your optimism...for you to have convinced yourself that the struggles of both Orton and Grossman in seasons past have no correlation to their struggles in camp is astonishing...

DaBears33
07-31-2008, 12:38 PM
I've been watching the highlights on Youtube and the QB's look like they are getting worse and worse every day. Everything that we are thinking as our weaknesses (fumbled snaps, dropped passes, HORRIBLE LINE PLAY) are all happening. I know it's early, but I see the D having to score most of our points again this year. The positives I see are that this draft class seems legit. Earl Bennett might be our best reciever out there and Forte is a stud. So things are looking up for the future, but our QB's as I see it don't stack up and we'll be seeing more of the same from the Offense.

HOWE do i do it
07-31-2008, 06:31 PM
4:20 p.m. The smoothest looking running back so far today? P. J. Pope.

4:18 p.m. Hunter Hillenmeyer got an extra couple shots in on Matt Forte after Forte's blast up the middle. The defense might want to continue that trend to get Forte ready for game night.

4:15 p.m. Kyle Orton just fumbled a snap, and it's not even raining yet.

4:13 p.m. Rex Grossman just threw what was supposed to be a 10-yard pass to Adrian Peterson about two yards. Enough said.

3:44 p.m. Dusty Dvoracek, recovering from a right calf injury, is expected to take a physical early next week with hopes of getting cleared for practice.

3:28 p.m. Check that, second-year defensive end Dan Bazuin is on the field in full pads. He had been out nursing a knee injury.

3:19 p.m. Add Mike Okwo to that list. He's in shorts and a ballcap. And cornerback Charles Tillman is out again for personal reasons.

3:14 p.m. Bystanders at today's practice include Jason McKie, Garrett Wolfe, Zackary Bowman, Brandon Lloyd, Chris Williams, Chester Adams, Kevin Payne, Kevin Jones, Mark Anderson, Dusty Dvoracek and Dan Bazuin. Adams, Williams and Jones are doing light running on a side field, while Dvoracek is doing some stretching.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/huddleup/

dyceman
07-31-2008, 06:40 PM
http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/huddleup/

What the hell kind of training camp is Lovie running with so many 1st & 2nd stringers on the sidelines resting? What are we saving oursleves for the postseason?

Tankjeep
07-31-2008, 06:47 PM
I've been watching the highlights on Youtube and the QB's look like they are getting worse and worse every day. Everything that we are thinking as our weaknesses (fumbled snaps, dropped passes, HORRIBLE LINE PLAY) are all happening. I know it's early, but I see the D having to score most of our points again this year. The positives I see are that this draft class seems legit. Earl Bennett might be our best reciever out there and Forte is a stud. So things are looking up for the future, but our QB's as I see it don't stack up and we'll be seeing more of the same from the Offense.

and turner says he doesn't want brett favre....effin moron.

phlp_bj
08-01-2008, 02:58 PM
[/QUOTE]QB Kyle Orton looked sharp for the second straight practice during Thursday afternoon’s session.

Several players were held out of practice with minor injuries, but the injury that most concerns the Bears is rookie OT Chris Williams’ back.

CB Charles Tillman was excused from practice for personal reasons.

CB Corey Graham is playing well and getting more reps in Tillman’s absence.

Former Bears DT Dan Hampton is covering the team for a local radio station.

Said DT Dusty Dvoracek, “One personal goal is stay healthy all year and play in every game. That’s my No. 1 goal. Start all the games and stay healthy and finish the season strong and no more season-ending injuries.”

Coach Lovie Smith likes John Lynch but doesn’t want him on the Bears.

Said Smith of the report that the Packers might trade Brett Favre within the division, “it doesn’t affect us, we have our quarterbacks.”

One local columnist says it’s absurd that the Bears would claim they don’t need Favre.

Said LB Brian Urlacher of the Bears getting Favre, “I don’t see it ever happening. If it does, we have a Hall-of-Fame quarterback playing for us. If not, we have two good quarterbacks as it is.”

Said QB Rex Grossman, “It’s hard to escape because you hear Favre this, Favre that. I try not to pay attention because I don’t really care.”

Bears S Mike Brown doesn’t want Favre in the division: “If he goes to the Vikings, that is a huge deal. That would definitely, I would say, make them the favorite in the NFC.”[QUOTE]

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/08/01/chicago-bears-training-camp-one-liners-3/

Bulldog76
08-01-2008, 04:00 PM
Seriously...I have been saying this for months...this looks like the worst offense we have put on the field in years...if the injuries keep piling up like this, I don't know what the end result will be, but it should cost the GM his job...

Tankjeep
08-01-2008, 04:57 PM
not wanting favre? i wonder if that's a smokescreen too?

freaknasty23
08-01-2008, 07:46 PM
mmmm some decent snippits

SDBearsFan
08-02-2008, 06:31 AM
Bring in Favre, and any QB controversy is over.
Favre-Orton-Grossman(or trade him).
PLus, if the Viqueens get him, us and the rest of the NFL are ****ed. Pardon my French.

HOWE do i do it
08-02-2008, 07:18 AM
Rex Grossman was booed by Bears fans during player introductions at Friday night's open practice at Soldier Field.
The booing got louder when Rexy threw away back-to-back passes during a red-zone possession. Kyle Orton reportedly had one of his most impressive practices of the summer. Afterwards, coach Lovie Smith pleaded for patience in choosing a QB. "I think we all need to just wait," Smith said. "We're trying to get ready for the football season. No one is game ready right now."

rotoworld

CT Bears Fan
08-02-2008, 09:07 AM
I'm nauseous at the thought of Orton starting at QB. Not that I'm saying its the wrong move, but at least with Grossman in there I can hope for something miraculous.

Thats the thing, Grossman's kinda like that crazy chick you dated in high school/college. You knew it was doomed from the get-go, but you kept her around cause she was really good at throwin it deep...You knew she was crazy, but you hoped one day she would stop cutting herself...At her best she would make you believe that anything is possible, and at her worst she could inspire gencide. Anyway, when you finally got rid of her in favor of the less hot safe choice girl with no real baggage, you actually found the relationship boring and kind of missed the fireworks.

The end result is that we'll be a better team with Orton at the helm, but Grossman made watching the Bears as exciting as ever.

chicubs377
08-02-2008, 11:59 AM
I'm nauseous at the thought of Orton starting at QB. Not that I'm saying its the wrong move, but at least with Grossman in there I can hope for something miraculous.

Thats the thing, Grossman's kinda like that crazy chick you dated in high school/college. You knew it was doomed from the get-go, but you kept her around cause she was really good at throwin it deep...You knew she was crazy, but you hoped one day she would stop cutting herself...At her best she would make you believe that anything is possible, and at her worst she could inspire gencide. Anyway, when you finally got rid of her in favor of the less hot safe choice girl with no real baggage, you actually found the relationship boring and kind of missed the fireworks.

The end result is that we'll be a better team with Orton at the helm, but Grossman made watching the Bears as exciting as ever.

haha interesting comparision.

chicubs377
08-02-2008, 12:05 PM
it seems like orton is doing alot better.

CuseDude87
08-02-2008, 12:41 PM

I'll eat my words and pull for him to do well if he starts, but God damn do I hate Orton. I've watched his futility for three years, and I am just sick of it.

Could he be improving in camp and able to surpass Grossman as a better QB? Could be.

Will I be on his bandwagon if he takes the Bears to the playoffs? Of course.

Will I trust him with the Bears down by four, 2 minutes on the clock, and the offense on the 20 yard line? Never.

Soop
08-02-2008, 02:27 PM
In fairness to Grossman, he often had little time to throw while working behind the second team offensive line.

IvyWentCrazy
08-02-2008, 02:51 PM
Guys you think the reason Orton looked better is because he was practicing with the first team friday and Grossman was practicing with the second team...

U know I keep reading these ******** updates out of training camp... one day it's Orton disappoints, rex shines... then it's rex disappoints Orton shines... then I actually, you know, read the article and I find out that whoever is usually playing with the first team, looks good that day and whomever is playing with the second team doesn't.

Everyone just calm down, we're not putting Rex six feet under just yet.

cubbybear2290
08-02-2008, 03:28 PM
Okay after reading this thread and going to the practice at soldier field last nite i am convinced we have the absolute worst QB situation ever assembled. Atleast that i can remember. Also the thing im wonderingis htat there are 2 QBs w/ starting expierence that are better than the ones that we have in Byron Leftwhich who has dropped 30 pounds apparently and Culpepper who i think could be a lot better if jsut given the right situation to shine, and where better than with the QBs that we have plus that guy is massive, practically LB size at QB and he was All Pro at one point in case we have forgotten.

beardown1985
08-02-2008, 07:30 PM
I'll eat my words and pull for him to do well if he starts, but God damn do I hate Orton. I've watched his futility for three years, and I am just sick of it.

Could he be improving in camp and able to surpass Grossman as a better QB? Could be.

Will I be on his bandwagon if he takes the Bears to the playoffs? Of course.

Will I trust him with the Bears down by four, 2 minutes on the clock, and the offense on the 20 yard line? Never.

I dont understand how you've 'watched orton's futility for three years' when he has been on the bench since '05, when he was a rookie. Go ahead, look at Peyton Mannings stats when he was a rookie. the point is, you can't judge how a guys' career is going to turn out by their rookie season. And as far as trusting him with the Bears down by 4 and 2 minutes on the clock.... do you really trust Grossman in that situation? I just don't understand how you can hate him when all he has done for us is win games... no matter how ugly.

DamnGoat
08-02-2008, 10:09 PM
In fairness to Grossman, he often had little time to throw while working behind the second team offensive line.
It's also been mentioned that during that practice he was throwing to a bunch of WR's that likely won't even make the team, while Orton was throwing to Hester, Davis and Booker.

I'd like to know how both perform with the 1st team, instead of overreact to one guy playing with a bunch of scrubs and the other playing with starters.

DamnGoat
08-02-2008, 10:11 PM
Okay after reading this thread and going to the practice at soldier field last nite i am convinced we have the absolute worst QB situation ever assembled. Atleast that i can remember. Also the thing im wonderingis htat there are 2 QBs w/ starting expierence that are better than the ones that we have in Byron Leftwhich who has dropped 30 pounds apparently and Culpepper who i think could be a lot better if jsut given the right situation to shine, and where better than with the QBs that we have plus that guy is massive, practically LB size at QB and he was All Pro at one point in case we have forgotten.
Maybe you've forgotten that Culpepper has been a horrible QB since not having Randy Moss to throw to?

And Leftwich? He's really no better than Grossman, look at his numbers.

blams
08-03-2008, 01:18 AM

before i read it i saw this. and now this quote has lost all credibility. done.

IvyWentCrazy
08-03-2008, 08:08 AM
It's also been mentioned that during that practice he was throwing to a bunch of WR's that likely won't even make the team, while Orton was throwing to Hester, Davis and Booker.

I'd like to know how both perform with the 1st team, instead of overreact to one guy playing with a bunch of scrubs and the other playing with starters.

Great post...

Me too, is it me or are the beat writers for the bears really doing the fans a disservice with there reports? Instead of starting the article with whom got the first team reps and how they did... They start with who looked the best and some of these reports don't even mention if they played with the 1st or 2nd team; you have to just pick it up by realizing that if 'Orton threw a ball out of play was meant for Brandon Rideau' then Orton played with the 2nd team that day.

I know in Chicago, popular belief is it doesn't matter who the offensive line is... but playing behind the starting line or the 2nd string line is a big deal... especially because our 2nd string defensive line or our 2nd string defense, in general, is SOOOO much stronger than our 2nd string offense.

To me, it's sad that these reporters are playing to the crazed qb sensitive public more than valuing journalistic integrity... These guys aren't columnist, they are beat writers, they are there to report what happens on the field, not to give their biased opinions. IT's like they are covering this like a high school popularity competition instead of a qb competition.

cambovenzi
08-03-2008, 12:46 PM
I dont understand how you've 'watched orton's futility for three years' when he has been on the bench since '05, when he was a rookie. Go ahead, look at Peyton Mannings stats when he was a rookie. the point is, you can't judge how a guys' career is going to turn out by their rookie season. And as far as trusting him with the Bears down by 4 and 2 minutes on the clock.... do you really trust Grossman in that situation? I just don't understand how you can hate him when all he has done for us is win games... no matter how ugly.

WOW.
have YOU looked at manning's rookie stats?
3700 yds, 26 tds,28INT's 6.5 YPA, 56.7 COMP% 71.2QB rating.
orton's rookie stats: 1800yds, 9 tds, 13 INT's, 51.6comp%, 59.7 QB rating.
not even remotely close.

and you know what the biggest difference is?
TALENT. orton does not have the skills.
nothing points to orton ever being a good NFL QB.
god awful rookie #'s do not mean he will become good, just b/c other QB's have had bad rookie years.

CuseDude87
08-03-2008, 01:31 PM
WOW.
not even remotely close.

god awful rookie #'s do not mean he will become good, just b/c other QB's have had bad rookie years.

Haha, good job. There's a reason I don't respond to posts like that. The person obviously doesn't understand football, and hence, I don't engage him in discussion about football.

IvyWentCrazy
08-03-2008, 08:46 PM
Von McClure (tribune) said Grossman looked great today.. not a surprise, Grossman played with the 1st team today. Orton had an adequate showing with the 2nd team but did not leave the impression Grossman did...

Folks I think it will be like this all TC... whomever practices with the 1st team will look good and whomever takes the 2nd team just will not be able to stack up...

The only substance I took from McClure's article is that Grossman is starting to develop a nice re pour with Hester. Also no surprise here considering Hester is going to be the Bears main deep threat and with Rex' penchant for going deep.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/huddleup/2008/08/strong-day-for.html

Soop
08-03-2008, 09:42 PM
The comic relief of the day was provided by Olin Kreutz, who broke into a Karate Kid stance after bickering with the defense.

:laugh2: I would've love to see that.

The General
08-04-2008, 12:00 AM
BOURBONNAIS, Ill. – After a poor performance in Friday’s Family Night practice at Soldier Field, the Bears offense rebounded to produce arguably its best effort of training camp Sunday in Bourbonnais.

We weren’t pleased with our practice at Soldier Field, so we knew we had to pick it up and recover from mistakes that we made,” said receiver Devin Hester. “We knew that we had to come in and be focused and mentally sound and execute and make plays that need to be made.”

After a less than stellar outing Friday night, Rex Grossman had one of his finest practices. Quarterbacking the No. 1 offense, he consistently made excellent decisions and delivered pinpoint passes to wide receivers, tight ends and running backs.

“I thought this was one of our best offensive days,” Grossman said. “We were sharp mentally, and that’s a key for us. As long as we don’t screw ourselves up, we’re going to be fine. We have a lot of talent on this team, and if we play smart, we’ll move the ball and score a lot of points.”

Sunday’s performance came after coordinator Ron Turner had implored members of the offense during a meeting to improve their mental focus and play with more of an edge.

Grossman completed all six of his pass attempts in the first 7-on-7 drill. Three went to tight end Greg Olsen, including one that he reached up to pluck out of the air with one hand. The catch drew a loud ovation from the fans, but Olsen was upset he didn’t turn it into a bigger play.

“It would have been nice if I could have stayed up and not slipped, so I didn’t really do us much good,” said the 2007 first-round pick from Miami.

“Every day you come out and try to make some plays and kind of give the offense a little bit of a spark. I think the offense had a pretty solid day today. We made it a point to come out with a little more enthusiasm and a little more sense of urgency, and I think we did.”

Grossman later hit Hester deep down the left sideline and streaking across the middle, and also dropped a perfect pass over cornerback Charles Tillman to receiver Marty Booker, who made a nifty over-the-shoulder grab.

“Everything was pretty good today,” Grossman said. “I was happy with how well our offense played. The offensive line picked up a lot of blitzes and receivers were separated, running good routes. It was a nice, crisp day for the offense.”

Kyle Orton was also sharp Sunday, connecting on several occasions with Brandon Rideau and Mike Hass while quarterbacking the second-string offense.

With Grossman and Orton competing for the starting job, teammates have been going out of their way to avoid making it appear that they’re taking sides. For example, when asked about Grossman’s performance Sunday, Olsen said:

“He looked great. I think both quarterbacks have been doing a great job. They both seemed really on point today. Their balls were coming out of their hand really well and hitting guys in stride. That’s the kind of players that we have and that’s the kind of plays that we have to make.”

Turner characterized the competition as “pretty even” and said that it’s difficult for those without inside knowledge to accurately evaluate how the two have performed in practice.

“In my mind they’re both playing pretty well,” Turner said. “You guys see the ball hit the ground and say, ‘Well, it was a bad pass.’ We go to the film and maybe the receiver got a minus because he ran the wrong route. Or maybe the quarterback missed him. We grade all that stuff.

“I’m pleased with the reads they’re making. They’re pretty consistent with their reads and I’m pretty pleased with the way both of them are playing right now.”

With apologies for dusting off a tired old cliché, the quarterback derby is indeed a marathon and not a sprint.

“You have to let guys compete throughout training camp,” said coach Lovie Smith. “You can’t get too high or too low on what happens on a particular day. But this was a good day for Rex. I thought Kyle did some good things too. That’s how it has been going through most of the camp.”

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=4945

WorldChamps1908
08-04-2008, 02:54 AM
i still think our offense(mainly our QBs) is going to be pathetic...

Bulldog76
08-04-2008, 09:33 AM
I've been saying it for months...the offense will blow goats of epic proportions...no quarterback, bad offensive line, wide receivers who are re-treds and rookies, running backs who have never started 5 games in a row int he NFL and an offensive coordinator that has his head buried in the sand....

Now that I've said this, I expect Sooper to come out of nowhere with the false optimism thread about how our guys are ready to break out...

Face it, the offense sucks and the season was over before August...

Fire Jerry Angelo

Tankjeep
08-04-2008, 10:37 AM
Von McClure (tribune) said Grossman looked great today.. not a surprise, Grossman played with the 1st team today. Orton had an adequate showing with the 2nd team but did not leave the impression Grossman did...

Folks I think it will be like this all TC... whomever practices with the 1st team will look good and whomever takes the 2nd team just will not be able to stack up...

The only substance I took from McClure's article is that Grossman is starting to develop a nice re pour with Hester. Also no surprise here considering Hester is going to be the Bears main deep threat and with Rex' penchant for going deep.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/huddleup/2008/08/strong-day-for.html

why not measure which qb does better with the second team offense? based on comments in The General post...

Kyle Orton was also sharp Sunday, connecting on several occasions with Brandon Rideau and Mike Hass while quarterbacking the second-string offense

...orton has.

freaknasty23
08-04-2008, 11:16 AM
I've been saying it for months...the offense will blow goats of epic proportions...no quarterback, bad offensive line, wide receivers who are re-treds and rookies, running backs who have never started 5 games in a row int he NFL and an offensive coordinator that has his head buried in the sand....

Now that I've said this, I expect Sooper to come out of nowhere with the false optimism thread about how our guys are ready to break out...

Face it, the offense sucks and the season was over before August...

Fire Jerry Angelo

we get your unhappy bro, but throw something useful in instead of saying the same ole ****. i could care less but it just seems like your always *****hin about the same stuff, ehh

Mziolkow
08-04-2008, 11:28 AM
we get your unhappy bro, but throw something useful in instead of saying the same ole ****. i could care less but it just seems like your always *****hin about the same stuff, ehh

at least he is realistic

Bulldog76
08-04-2008, 11:28 AM
OK, with the only stories coming out of Bourbonais being about our struggling offense...I'm just curious as to what else there is to talk about...

Should I talk about Orton's rookie season compared to Grossman's career to this point, or should the play on the field determine the winner of that competition?

Should I talk about the lack of a proven backup at Left Tackle? Or how we entered the season without a "plan B" for our rookie left tackle? Maybe on how Terrance Metcalf is once again disappointing...

Perhaps a post about the wide receivers dropping passes and having many more sail away from them far off target...

Seriously, I posted this stuff 2 months ago and was ripped for weeks on end because I didn't express enough optimism, now we are on the brink of the worst season in recent memory and all most you want to talk about is irrelevant BS on how Orton projects over Grossman or how Monk is going to set the league on fire...maybe you're tired of my disappointed view on our offense, but atleast I have held my opinion, had it validated by on field struggle/performance and all the while the majority of this board talks about hypothetical dribble that won't matter in 3 weeks...

What would you like to talk about ?

cambovenzi
08-04-2008, 12:17 PM
if we stay relatively healthy on defense, you'll be eating your words.
even if kyle "i cant throw" orton "wins" the job, the defense could help us win around 8 games.

also the offense wont be as bad as you think.
the only loss is berrian really. and now we have booker, and hester will get triple the playing time.
as well as a much faster and hopefully much better RB.
and our great TE's.

DamnGoat
08-04-2008, 01:48 PM
ChicagoSports.com (http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/huddleup/2008/08/metcalf-has-kne.html)

Terrence Metcalf emerged from the dining room with a sleeve protecting his right knee. The left guard said he had the knee drained Friday after it swelled, and he's not sure how the injury occurred.

"It's no big thing," he said.

He expects to play in Thursday's exhibition against the 49ers. And he expects to start if he does play.

"Heck yeah, I'll be running with the first team," he said.

Metcalf has yet to be cleared for Monday night's practice. Josh Beekman has been working at left guard in his place.

cambovenzi
08-04-2008, 01:58 PM
Manning comfortable in new role as nickel back

BOURBONNAIS, Ill. – After starting 29 of 32 games in his first two NFL seasons, Danieal Manning no longer is part of the Bears’ No. 1 defense. But the 5-11, 200-pounder doesn’t mind a bit given the importance of his new role.

Manning is the Bears’ primary nickel back, replacing linebacker Hunter Hillenmeyer in passing situations. It’s a job that will put the 2006 second-round draft pick from Abilene Christian on the field in a slew of crucial situations every game.

Soop
08-04-2008, 02:02 PM

I like the move, more speed and better coverage. :up:

CuseDude87
08-04-2008, 02:06 PM
if we stay relatively healthy on defense, you'll be eating your words.
even if kyle "i cant throw" orton "wins" the job, the defense could help us win around 8 games.

also the offense wont be as bad as you think.
the only loss is berrian really. and now we have booker, and hester will get triple the playing time.
as well as a much faster and hopefully much better RB.
and our great TE's.

The reason everyone is trashing our offense is because a) it was not very good last year, and b) all of the players at the skill positions (minus Grossman and Booker) are moderately to extremely inexperienced. I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see us hit middle of the pack in terms of offensive production by the end of the season. In no way do I see this offense being in the bottom 5. We'll see, but that's just my opinion.

ChiCubs54
08-04-2008, 02:22 PM
Camp, Day 12

Rookie defensive tackle Marcus Harrison was kicked in the shin but should be OK. … Garrett Wolfe (hamstring), Jason McKie (knee), Michael Okwo (leg) and Jamar Williams (undisclosed) returned to practice. Rashied Davis and Desmond Clark had the day off. … Kevin Jones (knee), Dusty Dvoracek (calf) and Chester Adams (stomach) remained out, though Jones did full sprints on a side field

Bulldog76
08-04-2008, 02:42 PM
Shouldn't the manning thing be a different thread?

Bulldog76
08-04-2008, 02:44 PM
We have yet to enter a preseason game and I am still looking to take a few bets on the offense and the overall team record...

name the terms, the details of the bet and let's go from there...

colts -9.5...locked them up for nickel

freaknasty23
08-04-2008, 03:12 PM
OK, with the only stories coming out of Bourbonais being about our struggling offense...I'm just curious as to what else there is to talk about...

Should I talk about Orton's rookie season compared to Grossman's career to this point, or should the play on the field determine the winner of that competition?

Should I talk about the lack of a proven backup at Left Tackle? Or how we entered the season without a "plan B" for our rookie left tackle? Maybe on how Terrance Metcalf is once again disappointing...

Perhaps a post about the wide receivers dropping passes and having many more sail away from them far off target...

Seriously, I posted this stuff 2 months ago and was ripped for weeks on end because I didn't express enough optimism, now we are on the brink of the worst season in recent memory and all most you want to talk about is irrelevant BS on how Orton projects over Grossman or how Monk is going to set the league on fire...maybe you're tired of my disappointed view on our offense, but atleast I have held my opinion, had it validated by on field struggle/performance and all the while the majority of this board talks about hypothetical dribble that won't matter in 3 weeks...

What would you like to talk about ?

i personally got tired of reading the same thing over andn over but re-worded on the board, it was always favre, grossman/orton, terrible WR's, offense, random guy that was dropped/FA that we should sign.

i dont care what you do but personally im just doing something else on the web than surf PSD all the time. maybe find other forums or go to the beach/mall/friends/drink/movies. its cool that you stand behind your beliefes but its just boring to read the same thing over n over i guess.:horse:

bbcmillionaire
08-04-2008, 03:16 PM
damn what happened to team pride? quick question? why can't the bears do superb things and we can't be optimistic without being shot down and made out to be homers or idiots? who woulda thought the giants woulda won the superbowl?(they barely made the playoffs)

BEARS+BULLS=:)
08-04-2008, 05:02 PM
on the metcalf dissapointing thing bulldog was talking about i say we just re-sign Ruben Brown hes better than Beekman, Metcalf, St.Claire, n Adams. Then that makes it easier for whoever starts at LT(hopefully Williams) instead of having both inexperienced ppl next to each other, then we have a whole weak side n its the QBs blind side nothing good can come from us not having Brown. He already knows the plays n is rested which will help with his injury n if he starts hell be in good shape by the time the season starts.

CT Bears Fan
08-04-2008, 05:10 PM

Seriously, I hope Graham beats him out. I can't stand D. Manning, the only thing he's good at is chasing guys down after he blows assignments.

Tankjeep
08-04-2008, 05:46 PM
Seriously, I hope Graham beats him out. I can't stand D. Manning, the only thing he's good at is chasing guys down after he blows assignments.

....or watching them catch td's.

Soop
08-04-2008, 07:49 PM
Shouldn't the manning thing be a different thread?
No, it's training camp news and it's okay in here.

We have yet to enter a preseason game and I am still looking to take a few bets on the offense and the overall team record...

name the terms, the details of the bet and let's go from there...

colts -9.5...locked them up for nickel

Betting against your own team? :speechless:

I thought I seen it all but yet you continue to surprise me. :pity:

That's really really disgusting, I can't even believe I read that. :puke:

I hope that Viking guy that comes to our forum doesn't read that. :o

beardown1985
08-04-2008, 10:12 PM
WOW.
not even remotely close.

What was Mannings record that year? oh yeah..

obviously Orton isn't peyton manning. I'm just referring to the fact that a rookie year in general is no indication of how his career is going to pan out. besides, I'd rather have Orton's 9 TDs and 13 INTs than manning's 26 TDs and 28 INTs... the key to our offense is just to win the turnover battle.. if we do that we really should be fine this season.

CuseDude87
08-04-2008, 10:28 PM

obviously Orton isn't peyton manning. I'm just referring to the fact that a rookie year in general is no indication of how his career is going to pan out. besides, I'd rather have Orton's 9 TDs and 13 INTs than manning's 26 TDs and 28 INTs... the key to our offense is just to win the turnover battle.. if we do that we really should be fine this season.

:speechless:

I will never take you seriously again.

The General
08-05-2008, 05:09 AM
It might have been just a slip, but Rex Grossman's honest assessment of his mind-set heading into Thursday night's exhibition opener suggests he and Kyle Orton have been told when they will find out which of the two will be named the starter: before the Aug. 21 game against San Francisco. "This is obviously a competition, so you want to play your best and put your best foot forward in these two preseason games ... three ... however many," Grossman said. "I don't know when the final verdict comes in." Sounds like he just might. ...

Garrett Wolfe can hope to fit in as a third-down back, and his shiftiness indeed gives the Bears' offense a different dimension if they so choose. But general manager Jerry Angelo said from the day he drafted Matt Forte that part of Forte's appeal was that he was a three-down back — a factor that gave him an edge over Cedric Benson.Anybody who has seen Forte look natural catching the ball or has heard coaches and teammates talk about how solid he seems in pass protection might have a hard time figuring out why he would come off the field on third downs now that he's running more with the No. 1 offense. ... The Bears still need to consider adding a veteran quarterback as insurance and have the numbers of Tim Rattay and Craig Nall if Chris Simms cannot be pried out of Tampa Bay. But if the Packers hold on to Brett Favre instead of dealing him, that would give Green Bay four quarterbacks and increase the likelihood they would place seventh-round pick Matt Flynn of LSU on the practice squad — where he could sign with another team. What better way for the Bears to mess with their rival than pluck a player off the practice squad who might upgrade a position lacking depth? ...

Two questions about the Bears' first two opponents emerged over the weekend, and the answers could determine whether the team gets off to a surprising start to a killer road schedule: Will Panthers wide receiver Steve Smith exercise his right to appeal a two-game suspension for fighting and get it reduced so he can play Sept. 14? Are the Colts protecting backup quarterback Jim Sorgi by playing him only one series because they know or fear Peyton Manning's recovery from surgery on his left knee will take longer than expected? ...

Whether it was Grossman finally getting hot Sunday or Orton creating a buzz last Friday night at Soldier Field, it pays to remember that at this stage of the preseason, daily practice updates provide snapshots of that moment more than a projection of things to come. It's instructional (and humbling) to look at what this column observed after the first week or so of camp in 2007 : "Judging by the zip and accuracy of his passes so far, nobody reported to camp more serious about improving than Rex Grossman. Some of his throws make ones thrown by Brian Griese or Kyle Orton look and sound like Triple-A fastballs in comparison." After three regular-season games, Grossman was benched. Lesson: Don't start keeping score in this quarterback derby until the teams do.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-05-haugh-on-bearsaug05,0,4822163.story

cambovenzi
08-05-2008, 10:20 AM

its a team game kiddo. manning didnt have the bears D.

rookie years might not mean everything. but performing atrociously, and showing very little skills, or potential does not help your cause.

Tankjeep
08-05-2008, 01:00 PM
its a team game kiddo. manning didnt have the bears D.

rookie years might not mean everything. but performing atrociously, and showing very little skills, or potential does not help your cause.

you're so right cambo....why is there even a qb competition? hmmmm, maybe it's due to the fact that rex just plain sucks nutz and orton is not too far behind him. so we have two qb's that suck, not just one. what a profound idea? maybe the coaches should be fired and cambo be hired!!

cambo for HC, cambo for HC....your wisdom is astounding.

beardown1985
08-05-2008, 01:09 PM
:speechless:

I will never take you seriously again.

my point is that we don't need 26 TDs to have a successful season... we just need to keep the turnover ratio down and our O will be fine. Maybe i exaggerated a little to make a point-- obviously I'd rather have manning than Orton any day.

DamnGoat
08-05-2008, 03:39 PM
ChicagoSports.com (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/cs-080804-haugh-josh-beekman-chicago-bears,1,4266675.column)

In recent days, Beekman has been lining up alongside Kreutz more often at left guard with the No. 1 offense as Terrence Metcalf nurses a bruised right knee.

But Beekman's experience in Metcalf's place, as well as when he filled in for the ailing Kreutz at center the first week of camp, has allowed the Bears to see they have another viable candidate for the starting spot.

The Bears would be pleased if Beekman held on to the job long enough to be one of those guys. With Metcalf not establishing himself as the clear-cut best man for the position even before the injury, Beekman gives the Bears an opportunity to get younger at the position. If he shows he can open holes and protect the quarterback well enough in exhibition games, it also would allow the Bears to keep St. Clair at tackle to buy more time for rookie Chris Williams.
Would like to see Beekman do well here and we'd have a nice young left side of the line to build with.

The General
08-05-2008, 04:34 PM
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

HOWE do i do it
08-06-2008, 02:54 AM
BOURBONNAIS -- Rex Grossman had a solid day of practice Sunday, starting the day by completing his first six passes during 7-on-7 drills. He was much sharper than Kyle Orton and seemed to have a rhythm going with Devin Hester the entire day. A pass he zipped over the middle to Greg Olsen ended with Olsen snaring it with one hand. Grossman also threw a deep ball that Marty Booker caught in stride over his shoulder, beating Charles Tillman.

The only bad throw Grossman had was a sidearm fling to Matt Forte down the sideline. Grossman ended practice with a bang, connecting on a Hail Mary with Hester that left the crowd buzzing.

Orton wasn't bad, but most of his completions came in the short game. He floated a pass over the head of Mike Hass and was short with a couple of other throws. He couldn't duplicate Grossman's fete as his Hail Mary pass fell incomplete.

The only significant injury of the day was rookie defensive tackle Marcus Harrison getting kicked in the chin. Rookie left tackle Chris Williams missed his 10th consecutive practice with a back injury while left guard Terrence Metcalf missed his second in a row with a bruised knee. Metcalf was nowhere to be seen.

Running back Kevin Jones remains on the physically unable to perform list with a knee injury but started to do full sprints on the side for the first time. Nose tackle Dusty Dvoracek (calf) and guard Chester Adams (stomach) remained out with injuries. Running back Garrett Wolfe, fullback Jason McKie and linebacker Jamar Williams all returned to practice.

The comic relief of the day was provided by Olin Kreutz, who broke into a Karate Kid stance after bickering with the defense.

From practice on Sunday
Source: Tribune

blams
08-06-2008, 03:40 PM
From practice on Sunday
Source: Tribune

this is the beginning of the end for orton.

Bulldog76
08-06-2008, 05:06 PM
Does anyone else think our offense still has some hope?

azbearfan
08-06-2008, 08:56 PM

If our line keeps the rush back, giving the QB time, then yes, I do.
If the line crumbles, then Rex/Kyle will be KILLED.

The General
08-06-2008, 11:01 PM

Theres always hope when you run the ball. At least the right side of the line will be able to block with Tait and Garza. And the left side will be able to fall down a lot.

There is ALWAYS hope.

The General
08-06-2008, 11:08 PM
Hiestand perfects our technique every day, and that’s what he tells us to follow.”

Reed, meanwhile, has been working primarily at right guard but could get some reps on the left side with Metcalf out. The 6-4, 303-pounder spent the past two seasons on the Bears’ practice squad after arriving in the sixth round of the 2006 draft.

Like Oakley and Beekman, Reed is viewing Thursday night’s game as a chance to prove himself.

“You have to assert yourself every time you go out on the field,” Reed said. “It is definitely something to look forward to and hopefully show what you can do. On the offensive line, you basically want to go out there and work hard for the other guys and make sure you don’t let anyone down.”

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=4967

DamnGoat
08-07-2008, 12:46 AM
I hope Beekman can take the job and run with it.

Would be nice to have our LG and LT spots solidified for a long time.

The General
08-07-2008, 01:07 AM
Even though hes only 6'2", Beekman is very strong and has great quickness. If given a shot he could become a good pass blocker, but don't expect him to do well in run blocking. Thats why unfortunately I dont see him developing into a permanent solution at the LG position. We will likely be drafting a OG early in next years draft.

But, I hope i'm wrong!!!!!!!!

Go Josh

DamnGoat
08-07-2008, 02:21 AM
Even though hes only 6'2", Beekman is very strong and has great quickness. If given a shot he could become a good pass blocker, but don't expect him to do well in run blocking. Thats why unfortunately I dont see him developing into a permanent solution at the LG position. We will likely be drafting a OG early in next years draft.

But, I hope i'm wrong!!!!!!!!

Go Josh
One of the complaints I had about this years draft was not addressing the OG position earlier.

We waited until the final round to do anything there and that's likely nothing more than a backup.

A guy like Roy Schuening fell way, way down in the draft and was there for the taking for so long before being taken by the Rams. He may not have been a starter, but he'd certainly be a guy to look at in the future as a potential starter.

The General
08-08-2008, 12:27 AM
One of the complaints I had about this years draft was not addressing the OG position earlier.

We waited until the final round to do anything there and that's likely nothing more than a backup.

A guy like Roy Schuening fell way, way down in the draft and was there for the taking for so long before being taken by the Rams. He may not have been a starter, but he'd certainly be a guy to look at in the future as a potential starter.

I have a feeling we'll be drafting a lot more O-Linemen next year
(in the early rounds)

DamnGoat
08-08-2008, 01:44 AM
I have a feeling we'll be drafting a lot more O-Linemen next year
(in the early rounds)
We're about 2 years behind schedule.

It was pretty stupid not to address those needs after the Super Bowl season.

The General
08-08-2008, 01:58 AM
odds are, JA wont take O-Linemen in the 1st rd 2 yrs in a row, but Tait keeps getting older and we only have 1 guard. Next years draft has to be heavy on the O-Linemen, which is why were probably going to draft nothing but defense until rd 4

WOwolfOL
08-08-2008, 02:37 AM
We're always 2 years behind schedule.

Tankjeep
08-08-2008, 06:34 AM
the o-line looked good last nite.

azbearfan
08-09-2008, 03:13 AM
the o-line looked good last nite.

That's good, hope to see more positive play from our line.
And yeah, we need to draft more OL in the earlier rounds next year, but I don't know who would be there. If a vet OL comes up in in the FA, JA needs to jump on him quick!

DamnGoat
08-09-2008, 01:49 PM
ChicagoSports.com (http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/huddleup/2008/08/kevin-jones-wil.html)

While the Bears debate their options on the offensive line with rookie left tackle Chris Williams out for 10 to 12 weeks after back surgery, their running game might get a boost from the backfield. Kevin Jones has been cleared by the team's medical staff and will practice for the first time in a Bears uniform Saturday night, according to Jones.

He is coming off knee surgery in January and his return has been nothing short of remarkable given the normal recovery time for similar injuries.

The former Lion, a former first-round draft pick, said on the first day of training camp that he signed with the Bears with the idea of winning the starting running back job. Saturday night in Bourbonnais, he gets his first opportunity to start making his bid.

Jones still will be limited but will be able to participate more than he has at any point during training camp.

Additionally, the Bears defensive line will welcome back Dusty Dvoracek, who has not practiced yet this preseason while sitting out with a strained calf. If healthy, he is expected to compete with Anthony Adams for the starting defensive tackle position.

Soop
08-09-2008, 01:49 PM
:clap: Good news

ChiCubs54
08-09-2008, 03:19 PM
ChicagoSports.com (http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/huddleup/2008/08/kevin-jones-wil.html)

That's great news.

The General
08-09-2008, 05:23 PM
Chris Williams out for 10 to 12 weeks after back surgery

So is this the official timetable for his return?

The General
08-09-2008, 11:48 PM
Status quo: With rookie left tackle Chris Williams out indefinitely following surgery to repair a herniated disc in his back, there has been some speculation that the Bears might flip-flop their starting offensive tackles. But John St. Clair and John Tait remained at left tackle and right tackle, respectively, in Saturday night’s practice.

“I was pleased with how our offensive line played [against the Chiefs],” Smith said. “We’ll always keep all of our options open, but the offensive line you saw out there today, that’s where we like it right now.”

Welcome back: Running back Kevin Jones and defensive tackle Dusty Dvoracek practiced for the first time in training camp after recovering from knee and calf injuries, respectively.

“Both guys looked pretty good for the first time out,” Smith said after watching Jones and Dvoracek participate primarily in individual drills. “We’ll just bring them along from there.

“Besides that, it was good to get back and make some corrections from our first game. We did some good things on the offensive side of the ball. I was pleased with how our offensive line blocked, how well we ran the football and of course protecting the football.

“Defensively, we didn’t play as well. That’s why we watched the video. But we’ll get those things straightened out. Again, we have a big test against a good Seattle team this week. As you prepare for the season, it’s always good to go in an environment like that.”

Fired up: All of the Bears’ defensive linemen huddled around veteran Adewale Ogunleye for several minutes after practice ended Saturday night, listening intently to the eighth-year pro.

“That was inspirational,” said defensive end Mark Anderson. “It’s a vet right there schooling everybody, just basically helping everybody along through this whole camp process. It was a little motivation, just making sure we’re all on the same page.”

News and notes: Cornerbacks Charles Tillman and Nate Vasher were excused from practice for personal reasons. In their absence, Corey Graham and Trumaine McBride worked with the No. 1 defense. … Alex Brown leaped high to intercept a Rex Grossman screen pass. … The Bears announced that Thursday’s practice will be closed to the public, meaning that Wednesday’s session will be the final training camp workout in Bourbonnais that fans can attend.

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=4982

The General
08-10-2008, 04:54 AM
Nobody in a football-mad NFL city wants to hear about next year already with four weeks still left before this season's opener. But the Bears have to put 2009 and beyond ahead of everything else when considering the best way to deal with Chris Williams' back surgery.

There are enough examples of successful surgeries around the league to think the Bears still can count on Williams as their left tackle of the future. But they shouldn't count on the rookie at all in the present, despite his possible return by Week 9.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/cs-080809-chris-williams-david-haugh-chicago-bears,1,3661618.column

Soop
08-10-2008, 01:15 PM
QB BATTLERookie wide receiver Earl Bennett had a pass go through his hands in the two-minute drill against the Kansas City Chiefs that could've led to a victory. Given the same opportunity, albeit in a practice Saturday night, he capitalized. Bennett got between cornerback Ricky Manning Jr. and Craig Steltz to haul in a bomb from Kyle Orton to end the two-minute period for the second team. Rex Grossman's drive with the starters ended on a 55-yard field goal by Robbie Gould that was wide left. Grossman did well in the blitz period, hitting Desmond Clark and Rashied Davis in stride across the middle. He did have a screen attempt picked off by defensive end Alex Brown in team drills. Orton made a couple of nice connections with Brandon Rideau. Grossman's completion to Mark Bradley on an inside route was nice until Corey Graham stripped the ball loose.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/1100393,CST-SPT-bearch10.article

Chicago Sun-Times

freaknasty23
08-10-2008, 03:02 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/1100393,CST-SPT-bearch10.article

Chicago Sun-Times

orton with a bomb pass, wonder how far it was?

cambovenzi
08-10-2008, 03:05 PM

12 yards

freaknasty23
08-10-2008, 03:08 PM
12 yards

well i guess its about twice as far as normal, lets hope he can buump it up to maybe 20 yards before the season starts.....

Soop
08-10-2008, 03:38 PM

12 yards

:laugh:

Tankjeep
08-11-2008, 01:09 PM
Rex Grossman's drive with the starters ended on a 55-yard field goal by Robbie Gould that was wide left.

hmmm, history repeating itself. you make fun of orton throwing a 12 yard bomb, but at least it was a td.....which is a positive change. grossman, on the other hand only came away with an attempted field goal. i wonder if he drove the team into the red zone, only to have gould attempt a 55 yarder? if that were the case, i wonder where the lost yardage came from....? roll out sack, roll out sack, trip on the lineman's feet sack....bring in gould.

cambovenzi
08-11-2008, 01:59 PM
hmmm, history repeating itself. you make fun of orton throwing a 12 yard bomb, but at least it was a td.....which is a positive change. grossman, on the other hand only came away with an attempted field goal. i wonder if he drove the team into the red zone, only to have gould attempt a 55 yarder? if that were the case, i wonder where the lost yardage came from....? roll out sack, roll out sack, trip on the lineman's feet sack....bring in gould.

ooh a practice drive.:rolleyes:
grossman scored in teh preseason game.
and has done in real games before.

orton? not so much.
he was the one who fumbled+got sacked when we could have scored a TD.

blams
08-11-2008, 03:23 PM
hmmm, history repeating itself.* you make fun of orton throwing a 12 yard bomb, but at least it was a td.....which is a positive change.* grossman, on the other hand only came away with an attempted field goal.* i wonder if he drove the team into the red zone, only to have gould attempt a 55 yarder?* if that were the case, i wonder where the lost yardage came from....?* roll out sack, roll out sack, trip on the lineman's feet sack....bring in gould.:laugh:ortons fumble and inability to throw downfield were evident yet again in the preseason game.grossman had a farther pass than orton did his entire time on only his SECOND pass.orton is a joke.:laugh:

DamnGoat
08-11-2008, 03:34 PM
ChicagoSports.com (http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/huddleup/2008/08/bears-camp-upda.html)

1:51 p.m. Orton just had a short pass over the middle intercepted by linebacker Joey LaRocque. Yes, Joey LaRocque.

1:47 p.m. Grossman just fumbled a snap and a fan suggested that he run a penalty lap, just as Brett Favre did at Jets camp Sunday.

1:32 p.m. Neither quarterback fared well during seven-on-seven drills. Kyle Orton started 1 for 4 and almost had a deep ball picked by Trumaine McBride. He also had a pass tipped by Michael Okwo. Rex Grossman completed his first five passes for a grand total of about 20 yards. He then went 2 for 6 in the red zone, including a ball thrown toward Brandon Lloyd's feet.

1:25 p.m. Linebacker Nick Roach and safety Leonard Peters collided trying to make a play over the middle. Roach stayed down briefly, then slowly walked off the field. He appears to be fine.

12:50 p.m.: Safety Brandon McGowan went down during special teams drills and remained on the ground for a few minutes. He left the practice field under his own power.

12:27 p.m.: Out of today's practice are Olin Kreutz, Desmond Clark, Kevin Payne and Lance Briggs. Hunter Hillenmeyer is back on the field after nursing a hip flexor. And Terrence Metcalf is standing on the sideline in shorts after undergoing arthroscopic surgery on his knee last week. Darrell McClover is back on the practice field after tweaking his ankle Sunday.
Seems like a stellar day for Rex and Orton...what a QB battle. :rolleyes:

Soop
08-11-2008, 03:35 PM

IDK, it was just a little funny. I'll root for whoever wins, but I'll admit I prefer Rex.

Soop
08-11-2008, 03:38 PM
1:47 p.m. Grossman just fumbled a snap and a fan suggested that he run a penalty lap, just as Brett Favre did at Jets camp Sunday.

:laugh:

He needs to stop fumbling damn it! :mad:

DaSox_05
08-11-2008, 04:14 PM
Have the Bears been making grossman run every years since he has been in the league for fumbling snaps??? I dont think so cuz if they were he would be Alexei Ramirez skinny!!!

cambovenzi
08-11-2008, 04:19 PM
Have the Bears been making grossman run every years since he has been in the league for fumbling snaps??? I dont think so cuz if they were he would be Alexei Ramirez skinny!!!

...fail.

he doesnt fumble all that much.
ive looked up and posted the stats before.

blams
08-11-2008, 04:28 PM

fail

DaSox_05
08-11-2008, 04:40 PM
Fail are you serious Grossman has fumbled in 18 times in the 32 games he has played in his career thats terrible. He played in 8 games last year and fumbled 6 times!!!!

cambovenzi
08-11-2008, 05:10 PM
Fail are you serious Grossman has fumbled in 18 times in the 32 games he has played in his career thats terrible. He played in 8 games last year and fumbled 6 times!!!!

orton has fumbled 14 times in 18 games.

the Oline didnt block for him, and some of the fumbles were from the center.

i looked up and posted fumbles lost #'s.

in 06, (grossmans last full year), he fumbled 8 times.
in 2006:
Tom Brady fumbled 12 times.(double digit fumbles 4 of his 7 years starting)
Eli Manning fumbled 9 times.
brees(8. 9,8,8 and 7 in the last 4 years), huard(9 in 8 starts),romo(9, and 10 in 07), Carson Palmer(15fumbles), kitna(11, and 17 in 07)

your boy kyle orton had 12 fumbles in 05.

Bulldog76
08-11-2008, 05:16 PM
stop it with the qb debate, we all know how you both feel...and we all know they both suck, so let's move past the fumble stats and rex jokes for now... good lord...is every friggin conversation about 18 / 8 ?

cambovenzi
08-11-2008, 05:21 PM
stop it with the qb debate, we all know how you both feel...and we all know they both suck, so let's move past the fumble stats and rex jokes for now... good lord...is every friggin conversation about 18 / 8 ?

dont like people badmouthing the best QB on the team with false or random statements.

ChiCubs54
08-11-2008, 05:26 PM
Grossman just fumbled a snap and a fan suggested that he run a penalty lap, just as Brett Favre did at Jets camp Sunday.

:laugh2:

12:50 p.m.: Safety Brandon McGowan went down during special teams drills and remained on the ground for a few minutes. He left the practice field under his own power.

I hope that he's alright.

CuseDude87
08-11-2008, 07:05 PM
dont like people badmouthing the best QB on the team with false or random statements.

x2.

The General
08-11-2008, 09:33 PM

8 > 18

Soop
08-12-2008, 08:28 PM
BOURBONNAIS, Ill. – Even before Chris Williams underwent surgery to repair a herniated disc in his back last Wednesday, some Bears insiders said privately that they didn’t feel the rookie left tackle was a lock to start the season opener.

That belief wasn’t a knock on the first-round draft pick’s ability or potential but an endorsement of veteran John St. Clair, a natural tackle who filled in admirably at guard late last season.

“He’s a versatile guy and he gets the job done,” said six-time Pro Bowl center Olin Kreutz. “He works real hard, he’s got a lot of fight in what he does and we expect him to hold that position down solidly for us.”

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=4995

urlacher82689
08-12-2008, 10:32 PM
Im going to training camp on thursday, it's the last one. Is there anything special that goes on? Like better chance to get Auto's??? Has anyone gone on the last day before?

Tankjeep
08-12-2008, 10:34 PM
nope, i'm sorry i can't help you out....but do one thing for me? tell ron turner to kiss my arse way down here in va. and then kick 'em in the nutz.

BEARS+BULLS=:)
08-12-2008, 10:57 PM
no ive only been there twice both in 03 i think, i got Bryan Knight LB auto, Urlacher blew me n some other kid off the kid then said "Urlacher u a bologna head" n Urlacher turned around mad as hell n said wat did u say lol then Bryan Robinson used my marker to sign another persons ball didnt even sign my ball n then stole my marker lol. Also Rex n Chandler were doin QB practice dropping back n then trying to hit a garbage can at different spots n some dude was yelling at Chandler "Cmon u old fart dont let them young bucks beat u" lol overall it was a hilarious day.

Soop
08-12-2008, 11:00 PM
no ive only been there twice both in 03 i think, i got Bryan Knight LB auto, Urlacher blew me n some other kid off the kid then said "Urlacher u a bologna head" n Urlacher turned around mad as hell n said wat did u say lol then Bryan Robinson used my marker to sign another persons ball didnt even sign my ball n then stole my marker lol. Also Rex n Chandler were doin QB practice dropping back n then trying to hit a garbage can at different spots n some dude was yelling at Chandler "Cmon u old fart dont let them young bucks beat u" lol overall it was a hilarious day.
Urlacher is straight and he never would do that. :rimshot:

Soop
08-12-2008, 11:07 PM
BOURBONNAIS, Ill. – Garrett Wolfe has never stood head and shoulders above his teammates unless they were sitting down. But the shortest player on the Bears roster stood tall in the preseason opener and hopes to build on that effort Saturday night in Seattle.

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=4996

Tankjeep
08-12-2008, 11:08 PM
^^c'mon sooper, we'd like to think that....but we are human, it could happen....just might've had a bad day. it doesn't mean that urlacher is a poop head all the time.

Soop
08-12-2008, 11:21 PM
^^c'mon sooper, we'd like to think that....but we are human, it could happen....just might've had a bad day. it doesn't mean that urlacher is a poop head all the time.

I think you misunderstood Tank, my mind is in the gutter. I meant Urlacher isn't Leonardo DiCaprio in The Basketball Diaries. :laugh2:

urlacher82689
08-12-2008, 11:21 PM
I went down last year and it was pretty fun. Most players sign autos, but Urlacher sneaks through a back way on a golf cart. I just want to know if anythings different on the last day?

Tankjeep
08-13-2008, 06:19 AM
I think you misunderstood Tank, my mind is in the gutter. I meant Urlacher isn't Leonardo DiCaprio in The Basketball Diaries. :laugh2:

you mean leonardo deCRAPio?:laugh2:

Rexy'sSexy
08-13-2008, 10:20 AM
Here's the big IF post...

IF the Bears commit to the running game, really commit, 65%/35% run, AND... IF Beekman can develop into the G the Bears thought he would be when they drafted him... AND... IF Garrett Wolfe can stay healthy... the Bears offense will not be as pathetic as everyone says it will. Forte looks like a solid starter, and Jones and Peterson will be good options for a 2nd string RB. Wolfe is as fast as they come and in the open field could do some special things. IF this team can run the ball and run it effectively (not like the last two years where they could only run if Rex was lighting up the secondary).

You want you strongest run-blocking T at RT; and with Kreutz, Garza and Tait the right sign of the line will be pretty formidable... Everyone is worring about the qb blindside however, if we run a lot, we'll do most of our passing out of PA; which means you going to let the FB double down on the left side.

DaSox_05
08-13-2008, 10:50 AM
Im going to training camp on thursday, it's the last one. Is there anything special that goes on? Like better chance to get Auto's??? Has anyone gone on the last day before?

Hope your not going on Thursday cuz that is the last practice and its not open to the fans. Today's practice is the last one that is open to the public in Bourbannis.

cambovenzi
08-13-2008, 10:54 AM
Here's the big IF post...

IF the Bears commit to the running game, really commit, 65%/35% run, AND... IF Beekman can develop into the G the Bears thought he would be when they drafted him... AND... IF Garrett Wolfe can stay healthy... the Bears offense will not be as pathetic as everyone says it will. Forte looks like a solid starter, and Jones and Peterson will be good options for a 2nd string RB. Wolfe is as fast as they come and in the open field could do some special things. IF this team can run the ball and run it effectively (not like the last two years where they could only run if Rex was lighting up the secondary).

You want you strongest run-blocking T at RT; and with Kreutz, Garza and Tait the right sign of the line will be pretty formidable... Everyone is worring about the qb blindside however, if we run a lot, we'll do most of our passing out of PA; which means you going to let the FB double down on the left side.

65%run? too extreme.
sure fire way to lose and have 3 and outs all the time.

a similar breakdown to the last couple years is fine.
we have a QB with an accurate+powerful arm(grossman).
good recieving TEs and RBs.
and OK WRers.
we are going to need to pass to put a decent amount of points up.

Soop
08-13-2008, 11:16 AM
you mean leonardo deCRAPio?:laugh2:

CSSTL might get offended, he has posters of him on his wall.

Tankjeep
08-13-2008, 11:25 AM
CSSTL might get offended, he has posters of him on his wall.

oops, my bad csstl. btw, csstl...what did you think of the red sox/rangers game last nite....CrAzY huh??!???!?!?!?

beardown1985
08-13-2008, 11:29 AM
65%run? too extreme.
sure fire way to lose and have 3 and outs all the time.

a similar breakdown to the last couple years is fine.
we have a QB with an accurate+powerful arm(grossman).
good recieving TEs and RBs.
and OK WRers.
we are going to need to pass to put a decent amount of points up.

it was damn near 60/40 pass last year... if that happens again this year and our QBs end up putting it in the air 40-50 times a game then we are screwed once again. Whoever said 65/35 had the right idea-- although 65-35 is a little extreme, we have to make sure we stay with the running game long enough to take advantage of play action. Last year it seemed like Turner only wanted to run in the 1st half, and he could never get Cedben into the flow of the game... by second half Turner seemed to just get frustrated with the running game, right when the other defense was starting to wear down. seriously, if Grossman or Griese is throwing 45 times in a game when we aren't getting blown out, something is wrong with our game plan.

Cub_StuckinSTL
08-13-2008, 11:34 AM
oops, my bad csstl. btw, csstl...what did you think of the red sox/rangers game last nite....CrAzY huh??!???!?!?!?

Sooper had to take his down long ago due to the stains on them.....

I had the box score up for it freaking nuts. Glad my fantasy team has Pedroia and Drew lol

Soop
08-13-2008, 11:48 AM
:Dliar.

ChiCubs54
08-13-2008, 12:42 PM
Camp notes: Hester to quarterback?

Quick update following practice Tuesday night at Ward Field:

*** Devin Hester threw passes in the morning and evening practices out of different plays. It will be interesting to see when these plays are used in the preseason/regular season. Shotgun plays where he could run a draw and plays that get him on the perimeter where he has a run/pass option are going to be fun to watch. Teams are going to have to respect the possibility he is going to pass because he has a strong arm.

It's not a Marty Booker model cannon capable of 80-yard tosses, but Hester's arm can compete with some of the quarterbacks who have rolled through here over the last decade.

*** Strong safety Brandon McGowan remained sidelined with a sprained ankle and Kevin Payne took his place. He was not out at practice but the team maintains the injury is not serious and he has not been ruled out for Saturday's game at Seattle. It's probably safe to say they will err on the side of caution with him though because they cannot afford any injuries there and he has a history of breaking down.

We'll trust we're not getting the kind of misinformation that was sent out over and over regarding Chris Williams and his "back spasms."

"Brandon is a little banged up right now,'' coach Lovie Smith said. "He should be fine. But Kevin Payne's a good football player. He blended in. When you move up to the first team, you want to blend in. You don't want to stand out, especially in a negative way. But Kevin Payne has a lot of talent, good size, good speed, can catch the ball. We're expecting big things out of him this year too."

*** Couple strong moves by running back Matt Forte in the open field.

*** Free safety Mike Brown on the first-team defense in the preseason opener against Kansas City:
"The coaches were highly upset with the way our defense played against the Chiefs."

Translated, I think we can expect to see more bells and whistles in Seattle. More blitzes, different looks, more variety.

*** Defensive end Alex Brown sat out. Looked like linebacker Rod Wilson tweaked something, maybe a groin.

Source: Chicago Sun-Times

ChiCubs54
08-13-2008, 12:46 PM
Bears' practice gets physical

The Bears’ final practice in pads before Saturday’s second preseason game in Seattle featured a helmet-to-helmet hit from safety Mike Brown on running back Adrian Peterson, followed by a shove.

“It’s that point of camp where we’re tired of going against each other,” Brown said Tuesday night. “It was a little saucy out there, but it was good for intensity. It’s all good.”
Coach Lovie Smith agreed.

“You want to finish this way,” Smith said. “There was a lot of hitting going on out there. We got better tonight.”

Kevin Payne filled in for safety Brandon McGowan, whom Smith said was slightly “banged up.”

“He blended in,” Smith said. “When you move up to the first team, you want to blend in. You don’t want to stand out.”

Keeping QB in the pocket

Chicago gave up a game-opening 16-play drive in last week’s preseason opener, primarily because quarterback Brodie Croyle burned the Bears’ with one third-down bootleg run and a 22-yard rollout pass on third-and-15. But that doesn’t make defensive coordinator Bob Babich worry about passers beating Chicago with their feet.

“He didn’t create a problem,” Babich said of Croyle. “The pass was a total bust. And the other one was a broken play and he happened to scramble for a first down. We felt good about the containment of the quarterback in the drop-back passing game.”

Reducing special mistakes

The Bears are looking for better execution on special teams in Seattle after missing six tackles and committing five penalties last week against Kansas City.

“We were very sloppy,” special teams coach Dave Toub said. “Five penalties is a lot. The most frustrating thing is it was a lot of veteran guys; it wasn’t a lot of rookies. But that was the first preseason game. We won’t make those mistakes again.”

Source: RRstar.com

cambovenzi
08-13-2008, 12:53 PM
Camp notes: Hester to quarterback?

should make for some nice trick plays.

Tankjeep
08-13-2008, 01:47 PM
I had the box score up for it freaking nuts. Glad my fantasy team has Pedroia and Drew lol

i'd say so...but can you imagine the guy that has big papi? wow, he got robbed on his almost third dinger.

Soop
08-13-2008, 01:59 PM
i'd say so...but can you imagine the guy that has big papi? wow, he got robbed on his almost third dinger.

I got a big papi.

DamnGoat
08-13-2008, 02:01 PM
ChicagoSports.com (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/cs-080812-david-haugh-john-st-clair-chicago-bears,1,5175838.column)

Entering his fourth season in Chicago, the current starting left tackle also has started games at left guard and right tackle, and he caught a touchdown pass on a tackle-eligible play with the Bears.

Who backs up the ultimate backup now that he's a starter? Undrafted free agent Cody Balogh has been getting a look at left tackle behind St. Clair, and seventh-round pick Kirk Barton looks promising on the right side.
Hopefully Barton develops into a solid backup or potential starter down the road so we'll have a little more flexibility if there's another injury. If another OT goes down I think it's safe to say we're screwed.

hawkeyefootball
08-13-2008, 02:44 PM
I don't want to start a thread about this but the first QB that I'm interested in is now available. Apparently John Beck is the odd man out in Miami and I'd love to get him in Chicago. He may be released or cost a late round pick, either way I want the Bears to show interest.

cambovenzi
08-13-2008, 02:57 PM
I don't want to start a thread about this but the first QB that I'm interested in is now available. Apparently John Beck is the odd man out in Miami and I'd love to get him in Chicago. He may be released or cost a late round pick, either way I want the Bears to show interest.
normally id agree.
but i dont think we really need him.
he didnt do all that well last year.(who could blame him it was miami).
but he was still bad.

hes also very old for a spec, so he doesnt project out to too much.

hawkeyefootball
08-13-2008, 03:48 PM
normally id agree.
but i dont think we really need him.
he didnt do all that well last year.(who could blame him it was miami).
but he was still bad.

hes also very old for a spec, so he doesnt project out to too much.

Your right, I completely forgot he was the guy who entered the draft at age 26 or whatever.

Rexy'sSexy
08-13-2008, 06:18 PM
65/35 might be a bit extreme but my point is this... defense is this team's greatest asset; we are going to have play makers in the run game... I can see Forte/Jones being very effective and I also see Wolfe making very big plays (kinda like Hester, figure out how to get him in space, Sweeps, Off-Tackle, PA flat, whatever, let him use his speed)... People keep making a big deal out of the WR but with Olsen and Clark, all you need is one WR to really establish himself as a 'GO-TO' guy, all the rest of them can be roll players.

That's why I like Rex to at least start the year at QB. Run the ball a lot, take a lot of the decision making out of his hands by allowing his run game to be the star of the offense instead of Rex's right arm. With our TEs, with Hester's speed, and (hopefully) Booker's possession skills; the Bears will be effective in PA.

Now, this is all contingent on the Bears offensive line being better than effective in the RUN GAME. But like I said before with Olin, Garza and Tait on the right side, the Bears have a decent chance of being a good run team.

If that can happen, and the Bears truly commit to the run... something they haven't done since Ditka was calling plays; I won't buy into the whole, we have no WR, offense is going to suck theory.

DamnGoat
08-13-2008, 10:38 PM
ChicagoSports.com (http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/huddleup/2008/08/bears-camp-da-3.html)

8:13 p.m.: Dusty Dvoracek, Kevin Jones and Brandon McGowan are all out for Saturday's exhibition at Seattle.

7:47 p.m.: Danieal Manning just picked off a Caleb Hanie pass. Maybe Manning is getting used to the nickel.

7:34 p.m.: Grossman's deep ball down the middle of the field is on tonight. He just hit another one, this time to Devin Hester.

7:28 p.m.: Kyle Orton was equally impressive against the scout team, completing all four of his throws.

7:23 p.m.: Rex Grossman, the starter for saturdays exhibition, looks sharp against the scout team defense. He completed 5 of 5 passes, including a deep ball to Mark Bradley at the end of his reps.

6:43 p.m.: Brandon McGowan is out on the field but not practicing as he continues to recover from a right ankle injury. Also sitting out tonight's practice are Rod Wilson and Anthony Adams.
Good to hear Rex connecting with both Hester and Bradley.

Soop
08-13-2008, 10:56 PM
ChicagoSports.com (http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/huddleup/2008/08/bears-camp-da-3.html)

Good to hear Rex connecting with both Hester and Bradley.

:hi5: Yeah, he's looking better.

ChiCubs54
08-15-2008, 12:39 AM
Camp notes: Starters could see time into 3rd quarter at Seattle

The Bears had their final night practice and it was a light workout in shells and shorts as they put in the gameplan for the trip to Seattle. A few nuggets:

*** The Bears mean business when they're talking about playing the starters more in the preseason, at least the ones on offense.

"Last week you know we played quite a bit,'' coach Lovie Smith said. "We plan on playing our starters at least a half, possibly into the third quarter this week."

If they go off the plan from last week against Kansas City, you can expect Kyle Orton to replace Rex Grossman at some point in the second quarter. But nothing is official. Stay tuned.

*** Smith has made it clear in the past he'd prefer to stay at Halas Hall in Lake Forest for the entire summer in preparing for the season. He's a routine guy and likes the routine of being around the facility. He alluded to that in answering a question tonight about the benefit of going away for training camp.

"I don't think training camp, going away, is as important s it used to be when you were away for most of the offseason," he said. "We've been together for the most part since we started offseason work in April. But it is still good to get away from everything and not have any distractions and that is definitely the case down here."

Obviously, the decision on training camp is above the coach. The Bears have already signed up to be here at Olivet Nazarene University next summer.

*** Just like the Bears have been unable to select a starting quarterback, they also have not been able to choose starting wide receivers just yet. They've rotated as many as six different guys in with the ones and Devin Hester and Rashied Davis are listed as co-starters at one spot with Marty Booker and Brandon Lloyd being co-starters at the other spot.

"We have several guys that we go to," Grossman said when asked if they have a No. 1. "It just depends on the pattern. I think that might work itself. We'll see. In this offense, we have several different routes and some guys do things better than others. We'll call their number when that play's called."

*** Once again, the club donated 23 bicycles used by coaches and staff during camp and 23 new helmets to area youth following practice. Guess the coaches will have to hoof it around campus Thursday morning.

cambovenzi
08-17-2008, 02:38 PM
Orton emerging from cloudy QB picture in Chicago?

The quarterback battle cleared up somewhat in the Bears' 29-26 overtime loss to the Seahawks. Neither Rex Grossman nor Kyle Orton grabbed the job by the neck. But Grossman's lack of production in a quarter and a half probably means Orton will be the starter for the season opener.

''Things are becoming clearer and clearer,'' Bears coach Lovie Smith said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Orton-emerging-from-cloudy-QB-picture-in-Chicago;_ylt=AnGW0tQ2ewoB6uNym4rRyCL.uLYF?urn=nfl, 101316

what a load of crap.
idk how they figure orton will be the starter or how he somehow "outplayed" grossman.
orton looked bad, and he was given all day to throw.
couple amazing snags by lloyd saved his stat line.

Mr.MCGwire
08-17-2008, 03:29 PM
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/nfl/bears/rumors.html

This should have won the quarterback contest and if not this guy then let's get pennington
I'm done watching these terrible choices and if Grossman starts we deserve what we will get. Orton should have been developed for the last couple of years...imo Let's face it though Ron Turner can't CALL the cops let alone a game and the O Line can be blamed but these Quarterbacks have got to learn to audible something like favre, mannings, or Brady does that uses the blitz to there advantage. If they want to blitz every time dump the ball on slants and get some quick gains. When the d sees that they will back off..

cambovenzi
08-17-2008, 03:53 PM

This should have won the quarterback contest and if not this guy then let's get pennington
I'm done watching these terrible choices and if Grossman starts we deserve what we will get. Orton should have been developed for the last couple of years...imo Let's face it though Ron Turner can't CALL the cops let alone a game and the O Line can be blamed but these Quarterbacks have got to learn to audible something like favre, mannings, or Brady does that uses the blitz to there advantage. If they want to blitz every time dump the ball on slants and get some quick gains. When the d sees that they will back off..

sorry our QBs arent brady, favre or manning. aka alltime greats.:rolleyes:
its not that easy to do.

Freddy GA
08-17-2008, 04:17 PM

pennington is miamis starting qb

Soop
08-18-2008, 03:14 PM
1:58 p.m.: Defensive end Mark Anderson is not practicing, either.

1:51 p.m.: Rookie right tackle Kirk Barton is out with a sleeve on his right leg. He's taking part in limited individual drills but doesn't have a helmet. Barton must have sustained the injury Saturday.

1:46 p.m.: Rashied Davis is back at practice after missing Saturday's game. His wife gave birth to the couple's first child.

1:44 p.m.: Kyle Orton is practicing with the first team, a good indication that he will be named the starter for Thursday's exhibition and probably for the season. Lovie Smith could announce the decision after practice. Stay tuned.

1:42 p.m.: Tight end Desmond Clark, who suffered a right knee sprain saturday, is standing with his teammates at they stretch. He has a black sleeve protecting his knee but is out of practice.

1:40 p.m.: Out of today's practice are Nick Roach and Pat Mannelly. They collided after a punt in Saturday's exhibition, causing Roach to leave with a concussion.

Safety Kevin Payne is practicing after leaving Saturday's game with back spasms. Brandon McGowan is practicing as well after sitting out with a right ankle injury.

Neither Tommie Harris nor Dusty Dvoracek played against Seattle but both are practicing Monday.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/huddleup/2008/08/mondays-bears-p.html

DamnGoat
08-18-2008, 03:29 PM
Looks like Lovie is leaning towards Orton...:sigh:

I want Orton to do well, but I'm just not convinced that he's the right guy here. I'm not convinced Rex is either, but I'm pretty sure he's better than Orton.

Soop
08-18-2008, 03:31 PM
Looks like Lovie is leaning towards Orton...:sigh:

I want Orton to do well, but I'm just not convinced that he's the right guy here. I'm not convinced Rex is either, but I'm pretty sure he's better than Orton.

X2...same here, same here.

ChiCubs54
08-18-2008, 04:06 PM
Safety Kevin Payne is practicing after leaving Saturday's game with back spasms. Brandon McGowan is practicing as well after sitting out with a right ankle injury.

Neither Tommie Harris nor Dusty Dvoracek played against Seattle but both are practicing Monday.

Well, that's good news.

GordoJ52
08-30-2008, 01:45 PM
The Texans released former Bear Roosevelt Colvin today, wondering if you guys think we should look into him.

Soop
08-30-2008, 01:55 PM
I think he's a shell of his former self, not interested.

cambovenzi
08-30-2008, 04:06 PM
The Texans released former Bear Roosevelt Colvin today, wondering if you guys think we should look into him.

for where?
left bench?
possibly right bench? i hear he warms that side pretty good as well.

chitownfan55
08-30-2008, 11:33 PM
i heard from espn that the bears are looking into free agent willie anderson
before gameday next sunday

DamnGoat
08-31-2008, 04:30 AM
i heard from espn that the bears are looking into free agent willie anderson
before gameday next sunday
Man I hope so.

I just read here and on ESPN.com that he was cut and he'd be a nice improvement over our weak OT situation. Williams going down was one of the worst things that could've happened and signing someone like Anderson wouldn't make the Bears rush him back.

Bulldog76
08-31-2008, 10:15 AM
Colvin is in Indianapolis today, visiting with the colts...he is an indianapolis native who is looking for a veterans minimum deal with incentives...seems to be a smart move to add him as depth for freeney/mathis...and he can play special teams or linebacker if the injuries pile up...

Willie Anderson at RG, move Garza to LG....I would like our O-line a lot better if that was the case...Hell I would even like to see what big willie could do at left tackle...I mean he would be competing with Jon St. Clair...not exactly a world beater...

chitownfan55
08-31-2008, 06:55 PM
ricky manning signed with the rams

DamnGoat
08-31-2008, 07:41 PM
Think it's about time we unstick this thread since Training Camp is long over and the season is a week away.

I'll get the 1st Game Thread up in the next few days.