PDA

View Full Version : Raptors Sign Free Agent Will Solomon

RaPToR_FeVeR
07-28-2008, 03:20 PM
Spies here and in Israel (my man Eran comes through again, and it wasn't even P.J. Tucker-related), where Solomon once played for Maccabi Tel Aviv, say the 6-2 combo guard is destined to be the next player from overseas to join the Raptors. No idea when the official announcement will come – there’s always paperwork to be done – but it’s a done deal as far as I can glean and could be finished as early as today.

Solomon does seem to have a bit of what the Raptors want in their final player.

He’s 30 years old so he’s been around.

He’s coming off a solid Euroleague season with Turkey’s Fenerbache, where he averaged 17.9 points and 3.9 assists in 21 Euroleague games, stats that aren’t to be sniffed at.

He’s got some NBA experience – he was a second-round pick of the Grizzlies in ’01 and played in 62 games with Memphis in the ’01-02 season.

Source:
http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/

aman_13
07-28-2008, 03:38 PM
He did sign with the Raptors.

Mile High Champ
07-28-2008, 03:53 PM
He sounds like an interesting player, maybe he can have some success like anthony parker has had for us. Hey we can hope for the best..

Solomon, 30, played the past two seasons in Istanbul, Turkey for Fenerbahce Ulker. He averaged 17.8 points, 3.2 rebounds, 4.4 assists and 1.3 steals in 13 regular season games last season. In Euroleague Top 16 play, he contributed 20.5 points, 3.5 rebounds and 3.5 assists in six games. He had a high of 28 points in 32 minutes versus Tau Ceramica.

Solomon, 6-foot-1, 185 pounds, was selected 33rd overall in the 2001 NBA Draft by the Vancouver Grizzlies. He appeared in 62 games with the Memphis Grizzlies in the 2001-02 season, averaging 5.2 points, 1.5 rebounds and 14.2 minutes.

http://www.nba.com/raptors/news/solomonrelease_072808.html

RaPToR_FeVeR
07-28-2008, 03:56 PM
The Toronto Raptors announced Monday they have signed free-agent guard Will Solomon. Per team policy, financial details were not disclosed.

http://www.nba.com/raptors/news/solomonrelease_072808.html

North Yorker
07-28-2008, 04:22 PM
So he's a PG?

Raptors27
07-28-2008, 04:33 PM
He sounds pretty good :)

lovingTO
07-28-2008, 04:35 PM
I think I really like this signing. It looks like he's got some clutchness along with 3point range. He should be a good back-up pg for us. It will give roko some time to adjust to the nba level.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=j5sYlelYXqQ

lovingTO
07-28-2008, 04:39 PM
I also really like the fact that he's played with parker before. He's a good highlight video of his.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qswl3pNEmAk&feature=related

Kontent
07-28-2008, 04:44 PM
Sweet! Decent player. Good signing BC.

AgentViet
07-28-2008, 04:57 PM
He definetely seems like a great scoring spark off the bench.

ink
07-28-2008, 05:05 PM
Signing Solomon likely ends all activity for the Raptors this summer. They’ll go with a 13-man roster that has a payroll just under the NBA tax threshold and is constructed pretty much just as GM Bryan Colangelo wants it.

He’s got three point guards – Jose, Roko Ukic and now Solomon; a quintet of wings – Anthony Parker, Jamario Moon, Jason Kapono, Joey Graham and Hassan Adams; and five bigs – Chris Bosh, Jermaine O’Neal, Andrea Bargnani, Kris Humphries and Nathan Jawai.

Full roster.

marvILLous
07-28-2008, 05:08 PM
I also really like the fact that he's played with parker before. He's a good highlight video of his.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qswl3pNEmAk&feature=related

seeing a little tim hardaway in that video ;)

North Yorker
07-28-2008, 05:23 PM
I'm not sold on his handles, based on that his pocket was picked 5 times during a summer league game in 06.

A4L
07-28-2008, 05:55 PM
I'm not sold on his handles, based on that his pocket was picked 5 times during a summer league game in 06.

we're in o8 son

North Yorker
07-28-2008, 06:16 PM
well if he had trouble with it when he was 28 i'm guessin he still does at 30- but lets hope it was just a bad game he had. besides jose will be in the game anyway in pressure situations

cdnsportsfan
07-28-2008, 06:20 PM
Fills out the roster, it sounds like he could add something which is great, but the expectations aren't there for him to takeover. Sounds like a good signing to me, there seems to be Parker-like potential there for him. Here's hoping for the best! :)

dominicanboy193
07-28-2008, 07:27 PM
wtf we didn't sign one player that played in the nba last year and were done we don't even know how they play in a nba leavel

cdnsportsfan
07-28-2008, 08:38 PM
wtf we didn't sign one player that played in the nba last year and were done we don't even know how they play in a nba leavel

Jermaine O'Neal - we know how he plays, we don't know whether he's completely healed or not.
Nathan Jawai - draft pick....not sure this one need be clarified, but generally those drafted have yet to play in the NBA :cool:
Will Solomon - much like Anthony Parker played a less than memorable career in the NBA then went overseas and performed far better (although he actually had better stats than AP).

However, the most important thing to note here is that 2 of these 3 players have been brought in essentially to fill out the roster. If they turn out to convert over well that's great! If not, well they're filling out our roster so no real loss. How is this a bad thing? Must every player have NBA credentials to be considered worthy to ride the pine for the most part?

I think this is a solid move for a 3rd string PG, I think a lot of our options from within the NBA were overpaid imho.

nads83
07-28-2008, 08:46 PM
seems like hes a scorer, well...was a scorer. his assist totals from what i gather have been low. anyone know if he can defend?

da1nonly
07-28-2008, 08:52 PM
does this mean none of the summer league guys get an invite to training camp?

Tom Stone
07-28-2008, 09:18 PM
well if he had trouble with it when he was 28 i'm guessin he still does at 30- but lets hope it was just a bad game he had. besides jose will be in the game anyway in pressure situations

I could go and show you a game where every allstar has a terrible game.....A player doesn't get juged by one game ....he gets juged by his whole carrer....and I got to say, he looks good.....good pick up bc.

flyboy193
07-28-2008, 09:58 PM
Jermaine O'Neal - we know how he plays, we don't know whether he's completely healed or not.
Nathan Jawai - draft pick....not sure this one need be clarified, but generally those drafted have yet to play in the NBA :cool:
Will Solomon - much like Anthony Parker played a less than memorable career in the NBA then went overseas and performed far better (although he actually had better stats than AP).

However, the most important thing to note here is that 2 of these 3 players have been brought in essentially to fill out the roster. If they turn out to convert over well that's great! If not, well they're filling out our roster so no real loss. How is this a bad thing? Must every player have NBA credentials to be considered worthy to ride the pine for the most part?

I think this is a solid move for a 3rd string PG, I think a lot of our options from within the NBA were overpaid imho.

how about us the sixers we filled in are roster by signing royal ivey and
Kareem rush .. 2 great signin and yah have a hole on the sg and sf position i think bc
did nothin to in prove that he signed adams hes garbage(i like that his athletic tho but not
a back up a thrid strin),, roko ukic come on and know this guy solomon damn :p

mjt20mik
07-28-2008, 10:20 PM
Kareem rush .. 2 great signin and yah have a hole on the sg and sf position i think bc
did nothin to in prove that he signed adams hes garbage(i like that his athletic tho but not

Why do you come and taunt in our forum? We don't come and criticize the decisions your team makes. I agree that signing Ivy was smart, but you can't really saw anything until the season has started. Wouldn't it be a shame if these players play really well, and then you would have to eat your words.

mjt20mik
07-29-2008, 12:13 AM
what the hell where did all these sixers posters come from lol.

i swear when they were **** there were only a few, like sixerslover and some others but ever since brand joined them, all these little homo sixer fans are comming around talking mad **** like their team is so nice..

lol like okayyyyy there calm down..

or maybe they all just use to hide in the sixers forum.

Yeah I love how these fans are so quiet when their teams are playing bad, and once they make a few transactions, they starting talking up. It's really sad and annoying! I wouldn't mind the comments, if say we were well into the season, and these players haven't produced. But seriously, like right now, you can't judge these players. And on top of that, these sixers fan suddenly think that their team is like way better than the Raptors, when nothing has been proven yet. So seriously, if you want to bash other teams, please do it in your own forum. We definitely don't want to hear your **** , especially if its just like baiting/taunting. Thank you.

boston08champs
07-29-2008, 12:15 AM
he looks like a good scorer i think he can contribute a lot coming off the bench, he can bring a lot of energy

boston08champs
07-29-2008, 12:19 AM
LMAO w/e were still better than philly they think there so good now just cuz they had that playoff run and now the did a few transactions

dominicanboy193
07-29-2008, 12:37 AM
i was looking at highlights of will Solomon and he hit a couple of clutch shots in Europe i could see him being a little like arenas

marvILLous
07-29-2008, 01:01 AM
anyways, forget the free agency, look at our roster. we have a set roster and i don't care what you feel or think about our roster, but i like it. you want to bash what BC did during free agency but you're only bashing and not proving anything. how you gonna bash ukic and solomon i bet you know nothing about them. go ahead, call adams garbage. kareem rush is garbage. ok there now we're even.

how can you say that BC did nothing to improve the team through free agency. after ford was traded, we needed a backup PG or else calderon would be playing 48 minutes. ukic and solomon are both back-up PGs and i guarantee either one of them will be successful in being backups. adams provides good energy and is athletic like you said. i'm sure he'll be able to provide sparks off the bench especially with his defensive abilities. nothing big, but still moves that improve the team.

Alphabits
07-29-2008, 01:52 AM

You leave the Philly section and go into any another teams section and talk pure negativity, people will respond. What did you expect? IMO BC has improved our team. We had holes at the wing and in the middle before the season started. Look at that he, filled one of them with JO without comprimising other postions. Also, we didn't want to go over the luxury tax threshold. There is no perfect team in the league that couldn't use a tweak. But there are money limitations. Regarding the comment about players not wanting to come to Canada, we didn't have the cap space to sign somebody big. You guys did, thats why you landed Brand. If there was no salary cap and no limits do you think Brand would sign with Philly? Wouldn't he rather go to the Boston, Detriot, New Orleans, San Antonio, or LA Lakers?

ink
07-29-2008, 02:29 AM
Let's get the thread back on track. And a note to fans from other forums, don't come into a team forum and start insulting or baiting or you will receive infractions or bans.

flyboy193
07-29-2008, 02:40 AM
You leave the Philly section and go into any another teams section and talk pure negativity, people will respond. What did you expect? IMO BC has improved our team. We had holes at the wing and in the middle before the season started. Look at that he, filled one of them with JO without comprimising other postions. Also, we didn't want to go over the luxury tax threshold. There is no perfect team in the league that couldn't use a tweak. But there are money limitations. Regarding the comment about players not wanting to come to Canada, we didn't have the cap space to sign somebody big. You guys did, thats why you landed Brand. If there was no salary cap and no limits do you think Brand would sign with Philly? Wouldn't he rather go to the Boston, Detriot, New Orleans, San Antonio, or LA Lakers?

alright lest stop arguing and lets start a ... my bad for what i said iight ....... so if brand was a free agent and philly and toronto had the same money who do u think he will sign with buddy lol

Alphabits
07-29-2008, 04:11 AM
alright lest stop arguing and lets start a ... my bad for what i said iight ....... so if brand was a free agent and philly and toronto had the same money who do u think he will sign with buddy lol

Obviously, Philly, because he would get the starting gig. He would have JO and Bosh to compete with. Even if you take JO out of the picture we would've traded Ford away for somebody else. Iguodala hasn't even re-signed. Too many if's and's or but's there. Nothing constructive is coming out of any of this, you're just saying things to get a rise out of Raps fans.

hades
07-29-2008, 04:17 AM

LOL. funny guy.

Mile High Champ
07-29-2008, 07:43 AM

haha why are you even responding to this guys? It appears like it was written by an 8 year old. Not one sentence makes any sense and Im not even sure how to respond to any of this garbage..

_Sn1P3r_
07-29-2008, 10:28 AM
So he's a PG?

I think he is a combo guard.

He seems solid stat-wise. I hope he could help Calderon and Ukic develop more.

lukeem21
07-29-2008, 10:46 AM
He is more of a shoot first point guard so i dont think he will create too much when he is on the floor but he can shoot if bosh and oneal are on the floor then he doesnt need to create he needs to pick a spot like kapono and wait for a wide open three

koreancabbage
07-29-2008, 11:46 AM
Obviously, Philly, because he would get the starting gig. He would have JO and Bosh to compete with. Even if you take JO out of the picture we would've traded Ford away for somebody else. Iguodala hasn't even re-signed. Too many if's and's or but's there. Nothing constructive is coming out of any of this, you're just saying things to get a rise out of Raps fans.

well its obvious we wouldn't need Brand if we have Oneal, both are coming off being injured in the last season and both are proven. its just that we wouldn't be spending on something that is redundant. If we didn't have JO and had the same money- i think he'd come to Toronto because their closer to a championship as of last year. Bosh and Brand or Bosh and JO, tough choice, it'll be the same.

if we did have the money- i'd offer it to Iggy or Smith. I think either player would bring us over the top.

ink
07-29-2008, 12:03 PM
"He's really interesting from a standpoint of the experience he brings," Raptors president and GM Bryan Colangelo said yesterday. "He's played at a very high level in Europe for a number of years and has always been a winner."

Solomon, who was a 2001 second-round draft choice of the Memphis Grizzlies, has spent the last two seasons playing for Fenerbahce in Turkey and has also had stops in Greece and Israel. He was a member of the 2005 Maccabi Tel Aviv team – along with current Raptor Anthony Parker – that beat Toronto in a pre-season game.

The 6-foot-2 guard, who spent a season in the NBA with Memphis, is coming off a solid Euroleague season with Fenerbahce, where he averaged 17.9 points and 3.9 assists in 21 games, as well as leading his club to the Turkish league title. Solomon was being pursued by a number of Euroleague teams before deciding to sign with the Raptors.

"He was hungry to get back," said Colangelo, who saw Solomon play last season when the GM was on a scouting mission to Turkey to check out potential draft picks.

The Raptors had been searching the free-agent camps and summer leagues across North America trying to find a third guard to play behind Jose Calderon and rookie Roko Ukic.

"No one we saw really had the kind of talent and experience that this guy does," Colangelo said.

Signing Solomon ends all activity for the Raptors this summer. They'll go with a 13-man roster that has a payroll just under the NBA tax threshold and is constructed pretty much just as Colangelo wants it with the three guards, five swingmen (Parker, Jamario Moon, Jason Kapono, Joey Graham and Hassan Adams) and five bigs (Chris Bosh, Jermaine O'Neal, Andrea Bargnani, Kris Humphries and Nathan Jawai).

"That's it," the GM said.

Source: Star (http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/468848)

THiiRTYONE
07-29-2008, 12:13 PM
kk, so most likely who would you compare this man to in the nba?

marvILLous
07-29-2008, 12:19 PM
kk, so most likely who would you compare this man to in the nba?

from the video posted in page 1 i saw a pooor pooor poor poor poor mans tim hardaway haha

mjt20mik
07-29-2008, 12:30 PM
He may get more time at the 2, than at the 1. If he can be that solid 8-10 ppg scorer coming off the bench, I'll take that. But I'm just expecting him to be a filler, and not really standout player.

J_B
07-29-2008, 04:11 PM
He definetely seems like a great scoring spark off the bench.

Yeah, he averaged a good amount of points in Europe

Musical Tempo
07-29-2008, 05:32 PM
I found this pretty interesting. He was compared to Jerry West back then in this upper deck card. Read the bank description.

UPPER DECK CARD (http://www.checkoutmycards.com/Cards/Basketball/2001-02/Upper_Deck_Inspirations/96/JWest_WSolomon_RC) <<<<Click here