PDA

View Full Version : Top Five Riskiest Moves

phlp_bj
07-28-2008, 02:12 PM
Nuggets trading Marcus Camby to the Los Angeles Clippers for $10 million trade exemption and the rights to switch 2009 2nd round picks.

This move was financially driven and while it does save the Nuggets some money, it really hurts them on the court. Denver has been one of the worst defensive teams in the league for a few years running now. Trading your only defensive presence for cash doesn't help that at all. Camby was the only player on the Nuggets who took pride in what he did on the defensive side of the court, and without him they may not be able to make the playoffs in the West. It's very likely that the Nuggets have another move or two up their sleeve, but right now this move is looking like one that will put them in the lottery.

Boston Celtics letting James Posey walk

It took some late scrambling and some midseason pickups for the Celtics to form a bench capable of winning a championship. That bench has been dealt a major blow with the loss of Posey. The Celtics simply would not budge on the fourth year that Posey wanted, which led to him signing with the New Orleans Hornets. Posey was absolutely vital to their run and is a guy that they will struggle to replace. The Celtics made a mistake not bringing him back and their depth will end up being a major area of concern next season. Meanwhile, Posey will be helping the Hornets take the next big step in becoming a championship contender.

Golden State letting Baron Davis get away

Sure the Warriors were a bit blindsided by this move, but they could not afford to let Baron Davis get away. Now the pressure is on for Monta Ellis to become a full-time point guard. Monta is at his best when he can focus solely on scoring, not setting up others. His inability to play point guard was the main reason why he fell to the second round in the draft a few years ago. Baron made everyone on that team better and expecting Monta to fill his shoes may be unrealistic. The Warriors spent a lot of money this summer, but without a true point guard to run the show everyone will struggle.

Taking time with restricted free agents

This may end up being the summer that leads to the abolishment of restricted free agency once the current CBA expires. This summer more than any other we have seen just how much of a nightmare the entire process can be. Teams are willing to sit back and wait for players to get offer sheets that they will simply match if the negotiations don't go well. The problem is that teams are hesitant to make an offer because they don't want to have their money locked up for seven days only to have a team match while several other unrestricted free agents sign elsewhere. Considering how late in the free agency period we are it looks like at least a couple of the big name restricted free agents will sign one year deals and become unrestricted free agents. How committed will these players who wanted long term deals be with their eye on free agency at the end of the year?

Factoring in foreign club's offers

A new trend is forming with not just professional but amateur basketball players going overseas where the money is better, you don't have to pay taxes, and you play less games. Hawks General Manger Rick Sund made the wise decision of not competing with teams outside of the league and not overpaying Josh Childress. Sasha Vujacic and Andris Biedrins both used going overseas as leverage to get a better deal, and their respective teams gave in by upping their offer. NBA teams are going to have to just call the player's bluff or let them walk rather than matching what these foreign teams are offering. With the way the salary cap is structured you cannot afford to overpay role players, and those teams that do so just to keep them from going overseas will regret it.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9614

DerekRE_3
07-28-2008, 02:34 PM
What about the Raps trading for JO? Pretty risky.

SHONIE
07-28-2008, 02:39 PM
Posey was overrated due to his finals performance. Celtics will be fine. Powe and Rondo will only improve. Vastly.

brandonwarne52
07-28-2008, 02:39 PM
Trading O.J. Mayo?

Allabouthephils
07-28-2008, 02:41 PM
I don't think that's risky of Denver... It sets them up for the free agency run of 09 which is stacked beyond stacked... They know what they're doing with Iverson's contract coming off the books this year...... They're going to go after LeBron... It's smart...

ink
07-28-2008, 02:47 PM
What about the Raps trading for JO? Pretty risky.

Yeah, I was going to say that that one qualifies to be in the top 3 risky moves.

SportsFan1988
07-28-2008, 02:58 PM
The biggest mistake IMO was the Warriors letting go of Baron Davis, I thought if he were to stay, that team was only going to get better and perhaps even make the playoffs, but now with putting all of the pressure on Ellis, I am not as sure.

scrumptiousduck
07-28-2008, 03:09 PM
Trading O.J. Mayo?

never should trade away top rookies.... kobe

PhillyLuver
07-28-2008, 03:11 PM
Philly signing Brand to a huge deal was pretty risky

JordansBulls
07-28-2008, 03:12 PM
Bulls not signing Deng nor Gordon immediately is risky. No one may want to go to Chicago knowing Bulls management is inept about paying guys.

Hawkeye15
07-28-2008, 03:13 PM
never should trade away top rookies.... kobe

Um, kobe was a 6'6", athletic freak, who was 18. Mayo is a 6'4", better than average athlete, who is 21. Not even remotely the same thing. The ONLY thing that worries me from a Wolves standpoint, is that they have never had success doing this in the past. (Ray Allen for Stephon Marbury), (Brandon Roy for Randy Foye, although I will give this one another year). But they got a proven scorer in Miller, and Love is rated by many just as high as Mayo. In Fact, Hollinger on ESPN thinks he will be far better, and while I don't always like stats to tell something, this guy is usually right on.

Mile High Champ
JO is not a risk cause he will come back at 100%.. a gurantee from me right here.

fabian11593
What about Oklahoma City picking Westbrook instead of Bayless?

ink
07-28-2008, 03:15 PM
JO is not a risk cause he will come back at 100%.. a gurantee from me right here.

You can't guarantee his health or durability. Not even his doctor can do that.

scrumptiousduck
07-28-2008, 03:16 PM
What about Oklahoma City picking Westbrook instead of Bayless?

IMO i think westbrook will be the biggest bust in the draft

Litchris12
07-28-2008, 03:19 PM
give nene a couple of years ago all that money...i think like 60 mill. he is a bust. i would have trade nene before camby... i dont care how young he is, he's a flop. he playus no defense and cannot score.

Mile High Champ
07-28-2008, 03:19 PM
You can't guarantee his health or durability. Not even his doctor can do that.

well ink im callling it and you will see come this season. His surgery is so minor and is easy to come back from. I have had the same procedure and surgery as he did, same problem and the surgery is one of the easiest for an athlete to recover from. Sometimes it can even improve your game in many aspects like jumping and speed.

alexander_37
07-28-2008, 04:15 PM
kobe refused to play with any team but the lakers .....

Before Bryant was chosen as the 13th overall draft pick by the Charlotte Hornets in 1996, he refused to play for anyone but the Los Angeles Lakers