PDA

View Full Version : The All Purpose Manny Thread - Dodgers Red Sox in Discussions

Pages : [1] 2

redsox12
07-26-2008, 04:45 PM
GM Theo Epstein told FOX broadcaster Tim McCarver before Saturday's game that the Red Sox will make an effort to deal Manny Ramirez if he waives his no-trade clause.
It seems like we go through this every year with Manny, but the drama that has been stirred up this time around makes it seem a bit more legit. It's highly doubtful a deal could get done in time, but Epstein should get plenty of phone calls in the next couple of days.

rotoworld

Tragedy
07-26-2008, 04:49 PM
First off, let me just say that Tim McCarver is without question, a complete pile of ****. I personally do not believe that Theo Epstein is going to tell an ignorant "broadcaster" (He barely constitutes being one) his possible plans.

With that said: I am all for getting the little prick (Ramirez) out of town. While you're at it, someone go punch Lugo in the quad.

Lord Byron 34
07-26-2008, 05:10 PM
When McCarver asked Epstein whether he planned to trade Ramirez, Epstein noted that Manny has a no trade clause. This DOES NOT mean that he is definitely trying to trade Ramirez, but it also isn't the same as him saying absolutely no. So while I think whoever started this thread misinterpreted Theo a bit, it is certainly possible that come August 1, Manny is in another uniform.

Side note: what type of ridiculous contract extension would Manny/Boras request if he was traded? 4 yrs at 20 mil? 3 at 25? Manny would be difficult to trade because of this, and a request by Manny for an extension would certainly lower the quality of the package the sox would receive in return.

riotan89
07-26-2008, 05:17 PM
Cardinals fan here, we'll take him, who do you want in return? How about Chris Duncan, and a few prospects? How long is Manny signed through?

Towelie
07-26-2008, 05:17 PM
With that said: I am all for getting the little prick (Ramirez) out of town. While you're at it, someone go punch Lugo in the quad.

I stab him in the quad earlier today. Got ya covered.:smoking:

RedSoxtober
07-26-2008, 05:44 PM
When McCarver asked Epstein whether he planned to trade Ramirez, Epstein noted that Manny has a no trade clause. This DOES NOT mean that he is definitely trying to trade Ramirez, but it also isn't the same as him saying absolutely no. So while I think whoever started this thread misinterpreted Theo a bit, it is certainly possible that come August 1, Manny is in another uniform.

The reporter may have, but the threadstarter did not misinterpret the article.

Side note: what type of ridiculous contract extension would Manny/Boras request if he was traded? 4 yrs at 20 mil? 3 at 25? Manny would be difficult to trade because of this, and a request by Manny for an extension would certainly lower the quality of the package the sox would receive in return.

He's looking for 3-4yrs @ $15M per

Celts22
07-26-2008, 06:02 PM
Cardinals fan here, we'll take him, who do you want in return? How about Chris Duncan, and a few prospects? How long is Manny signed through?

Adam Wainwright/Colby Rasmus, Chris Perez, & Bryan Anderson would be ideal, anyone else know how realistic it would be...

stevepark0
07-26-2008, 06:10 PM
Make the move. Manny wants out of Boston because he figures if he is a good boy the Red Sox will pick up his option and he will only make 20 million in 2009. He figures he will be able to get a bigger contract somewhere, and I agree....If some will give Eric Gagne 10 million, then Ramirez will make more than 20 Million.

Trade
Reds Get:
Ramirez
Lugo

Red Sox Get:
Adam Dunn
a reliever

Or

Orioles Get:
Manny Ramirez
Michale Bowden
Julio Lugo

Red Sox Get:
George Sherril
Nick Markakis
Kevin Millar

RedSoxMike
07-26-2008, 06:23 PM
Multi-team deal for Jason Bay prehaps?

bosox3431
07-26-2008, 06:46 PM
Adam Wainwright/Colby Rasmus, Chris Perez, & Bryan Anderson would be ideal, anyone else know how realistic it would be...

id love to get colby rasmus, but I doubt they will do it, and I doubt they want to pay Manny more then they pay the best player in the league

goldglove212
07-26-2008, 06:53 PM
the dodgers are in need of a big time homerun hitter what if we offered up lugo (no ones sure about furcal so they need a ss) manny and hansen/delcarmen and try and ask for broxton and kemp..
now i do realize that the chances of the dodgers trading kemp and broxton are slim to none im just throwing the proposal out there.

above all id rather manny just starts playing and stops being like this.
...and i wish cano didnt just double off the wall

Tragedy
07-26-2008, 07:04 PM
Chris Duncan is a pile of junk, so no thank you.

However, if you want to discuss Adam Wainwright, I think we can work something. :clap:

the dodgers are in need of a big time homerun hitter what if we offered up lugo (no ones sure about furcal so they need a ss) manny and hansen/delcarmen and try and ask for broxton and kemp..
now i do realize that the chances of the dodgers trading kemp and broxton are slim to none im just throwing the proposal out there.

I don't see Ramirez as a true possibility for the Dodgers. They seem pretty content where they are. They added Casey Blake, and they're likely to just let Andruw Jones rot on the bench while the kids (Kemp) outplay the hell out of him.

Brooklyn22
07-26-2008, 08:30 PM
What could intrest you all in the Cubs system?

Pie, Colvin, Marshall, Cedeno, Ceda, Vitters, anyone else

What would it take

boston_fan_ct
07-26-2008, 08:38 PM
jason bay maybe, holliday possible, but in the 2nd half of the season and competing for a playoff spot they are not trading him for a less value and/or prospects.

as far as the chance of him being dealt, it is at an all time high. When you publicly scrutinize and call your owner a "snake" was it? then your days are pretty much numbered. Manny is just his worst own enemy. he says he wants to stay in Boston (i have to believe him if this is what he says) and then goes out and does ever thing he can to get shipped out of town. he was so much better off when he just didn't speak to the media at all. who ever told him to start talking is the real dummy.

if traded I would love to see holliday from the rockies come to town, maybe a 3 way deal with the mets where the mets (if they have anything left after santana deal) get manny. rockies get crisp to play matt's position, and a good young pitcher from the mets and the mets top 2 prospects. sox save cash and don't lose a ton in talent, mets get the piece that puts them on top, the rockies get top prospects and someone to play the outfield in crisp who I believe given a scenery change will play much better.

but, chances of working out a deal are very difficult and unlikely. too many things like non-trade clause, money, and finding the right prospects/players to make it all happen.

boston_fan_ct
07-26-2008, 08:46 PM

What would it take

maybe the Cubs play the 3-way deal role instead of the mets. think the rockies are interested in that pile of players? they are not a good straight match up with the sox, someone needs to want to unload talent for prospects to make it happen. both the sox and the cubs are in it.

Cronin
07-26-2008, 08:47 PM
I think there is very little chance of a Manny Ramirez trade, although it would not suck to have a Matt Holliday or someone of that sort in there..

bosox3431
07-26-2008, 08:55 PM

What would it take

I would bet Vitters would be apart of any trade with the Cubs, Im not sure what else you guys have though. But we would be more then happy to take Soto off your hands

SocksPhan
07-26-2008, 09:06 PM
I am pretty much ready to take anyone at this point. This latest stunt is pretty much the straw the breaks the camel's back. He has been great to have on the Sox for all these years, he has been vital to the recent success, but this latest crap is just too much. That being said it would be nice if they could work something out to get a quality bat in return. I think a 3 way deal is about the only way it will go down.

Manny will have to go to a big market contender like the dodgers or mets ..the sox and that team send some prospects to the third team that is out of contention. In this scenario, they could go after an adam dunn or perhaps a Jason Bay. The Pirates may be willing to part with Bay with the emergence of Nate McClouth.

Manny's production is just not worth his drama anymore. Its time to end the Manny era.

Vthockeydad
07-26-2008, 09:24 PM
If you were a GM for another MLB team, would you give 100 cents on the dollar for Manny. Everyone knows he is an incredibly talented hitter, but is too unpredicable to give up equal value, especially when he could walk next year. The question is, if the Sox trade Manny, will the team getting him be able to exercise the option years ?

yaowowrocket11
07-26-2008, 09:27 PM
First off, let me just say that Tim McCarver is without question, a complete pile of ****. I personally do not believe that Theo Epstein is going to tell an ignorant "broadcaster" (He barely constitutes being one) his possible plans.

You basically summed up what I was going to say.

:guns: Manny

SocksPhan
07-26-2008, 09:32 PM
If you were a GM for another MLB team, would you give 100 cents on the dollar for Manny. Everyone knows he is an incredibly talented hitter, but is too unpredicable to give up equal value, especially when he could walk next year. The question is, if the Sox trade Manny, will the team getting him be able to exercise the option years ?

Manny has no-trade and is 10-5 guy so he probably wont OK the trade unless the team picks up the option years. So any deal would have that as a predecessor anyway. So the sox do have some leverage with those two club option years. I think the mets or dodgers are the only possible fits. Both have the payroll to absorb the 20M/yr and both are in a tight pennant race right now.

Manny Ramirez is still a marquee player. The kind of guy who brings people to the ballpark - any deal with him in it is a blockbuster so I do think a GM will give up some good prospects for him.

homie564
07-26-2008, 09:35 PM
red sox get aramis ramirez and ryan dempster for manny.. :D.. hows that one?! ;)

Brooklyn22
07-26-2008, 09:46 PM
I would gladly give up Dempster, Pie, and Cedeno

But that's just me

Vthockeydad
07-26-2008, 09:52 PM
Manny has no-trade and is 10-5 guy so he probably wont OK the trade unless the team picks up the option years. So any deal would have that as a predecessor anyway. So the sox do have some leverage with those two club option years. I think the mets or dodgers are the only possible fits. Both have the payroll to absorb the 20M/yr and both are in a tight pennant race right now.

Manny Ramirez is still a marquee player. The kind of guy who brings people to the ballpark - any deal with him in it is a blockbuster so I do think a GM will give up some good prospects for him.

I hope you are right. I think the Sox should trade him. If the players are getting upset, then it is time. Also, calling out the management is pathetic. The Sox have paid him $160 million over the past 8 years (or will have by the end of the season). Can you imagine trying to pull of this childish behavior with Billy Martin, Lou Piniella, or Earl Weaver.

BobsYourUncle
07-26-2008, 10:03 PM
i am not a boston fan ill admit, but seriously in all honesty, as much as he can hit and he is an amazing hitter which team would want a lazy, arrogant, slow overweight leftfielder who really can not play any defense, he could serve as a decent dh but the past few years his hitting skills have been deteriorating(sp), i just cant see a large return for such a lazy bastard like manny, its just manny being many means its just an overpaid lazy piece of ***** acting like an overpaid lazy piece of *****

Tragedy
07-26-2008, 10:11 PM
:laugh:

I hate Ramirez, but lets analyze.

i am not a boston fan ill admit, but seriously in all honesty, as much as he can hit and he is an amazing hitter which team would want a lazy, arrogant, slow overweight leftfielder who really can not play any defense,
Overweight? Really? I didn't realize baggy clothes meant overweight. Have you ever seen him in street clothes? Might want to rethink that.

Arrogant? Yes. Lazy at times? Agreed. Poor defense? Also agreed.

Now, why would anyone want him? Exactly the reason you said: He's an amazing hitter.

he could serve as a decent dh but the past few years his hitting skills have been deteriorating(sp),
As you just said, he's an amazing hitter. Amazing hitters usually mean they put up good production.

i just cant see a large return for such a lazy bastard like manny, its just manny being many means its just an overpaid lazy piece of ***** acting like an overpaid lazy piece of *****
All you're trying to do HERE is bait, so stop, as I've already warned you. As you said (And put one foot in the grave because you said it): Ramirez is an amazing hitter. An amazing hitter will bring you a good return. Ramirez = Talent. Talent = Prospects in return.

:rolleyes:

BobsYourUncle
07-26-2008, 10:20 PM
overweight might have been incorrect but i stand by the rest, and just because he is a good hitter does not make him one of the game elite anymore, he has declined in recent years there is no denying it, any number of teams would trade for manny, however he would only be good as a dh in any other ballpark as he can not play the outfield

WilymoPena
07-26-2008, 10:22 PM

We could mabe get Wainwright, but I would rather have Perez and Anderson. We dont need Rasmus, and they wouldnt deal him for Manny, that makes no sense. That said, Manny would probably only go to three teams, Mets, Yankees, or back to the Indians. The prob with Manny is that his age and contract status kill his trade value. No contender would trade a starting pitcher out of their rotation midseason to get a rental. Well, maybe Ed Wade would.

CubsGirl
07-26-2008, 10:26 PM
If Epstein really said this, I think it's just to try and scare Manny straight because regular things don't get through to him.

Tragedy
07-26-2008, 10:28 PM
overweight might have been incorrect but i stand by the rest, and just because he is a good hitter does not make him one of the game elite anymore, he has declined in recent years there is no denying it, any number of teams would trade for manny, however he would only be good as a dh in any other ballpark as he can not play the outfield
And what would be wrong with Ramirez only being a DH going forward? He'd still be better than most of the current DH's right now. The guy may not be the 150+ RBI threat that he once was, but he'll still put up an OPS+ of well over 100 and give you the 100+ RBI's. He's still a very, very good offensive producer.

Crucis
07-26-2008, 11:00 PM
And what would be wrong with Ramirez only being a DH going forward? He'd still be better than most of the current DH's right now. The guy may not be the 150+ RBI threat that he once was, but he'll still put up an OPS+ of well over 100 and give you the 100+ RBI's. He's still a very, very good offensive producer.

There's not a thing wrong with Manny being a DH. In fact, I think that it's likely that that is what the future holds for him, which of course limits him to the AL.

Still, I think that in the shorter term Manny could be a useful addition to some NL contender that's desperate for offense from an outfielder.

CeltBruinSoxFan
07-26-2008, 11:43 PM
Okay, so the Mets and maybe . . . maybe the Cards have a sweet-tooth for manny . . . . But has anybody considered the Angels? Or also what about the Diamondbacks? And for those of you saying "What the f@ck you talking about?", check this:

Angels: They want another World Series championship bad! They have Vlad, Hunter and . . . . . ? How about Vlad, Manny and Hunter in a lineup in the playoffs? That would be sick nasty and a Manny deal would make them the favorites from the AL, hands down. Manny as LF or DH, either way the bat is in the lineup. And they have the cash to do it.
What the Sox would get . . . not a whole lot. I would seek Brandon Wood and Ervin Santana, and thats it just because of the Manny contract. If not Santana, what about a serviceable John Garland? Either way we would get rid of Manny and brinf in some young talent with Wood and a nice 3rd or 4th pitcher in Santana/Garland.

Diamondbacks: In a very weak NL West, with Manny on board they would become the front runners in that division and give them the cleanup hitter they need to make and get deep into the playoffs. Yes, they are a small market team and yes they don't do alot of huge trades but they did go after Haren this offseason and they have a good team to make a quiet run in the playoffs like Cleveland did last year. Maybe this is an under the radar team to look for in the trade market. Webb-Haren-Johnson as a rotation and knowing you have Manny batting clean-up with those young guys in the lineup. Thats tempting.
Who would I take? Whomever they wanted to give me. Put Brandon Lyon in the package and send him back to Beantown. Let the Sox pick up the remainder of his tab this year and get a couple very good prospects in return.

Those are my thoughts but I really see either the Mets or Angels possibly looking into this. Would I somehow like Holliday in Boston . . . ABSOLUTELY, and at the cost of Manny (as in the prospects we get for him and possbily thensome), it would be even sweeter!

BostonFan 53
07-26-2008, 11:44 PM
Haven't read through the whole thread yet, but what do you think the chances of the Cubs giving up Soto for him? I'd give Manny and Kottarras for Soto and Marmol in a heartbeat.

Tragedy
07-26-2008, 11:53 PM
Haven't read through the whole thread yet, but what do you think the chances of the Cubs giving up Soto for him? I'd give Manny and Kottarras for Soto and Marmol in a heartbeat.
You, myself, and every other Red Sox fans would have to give serious thoughts to giving up the aging Ramirez for a young potential stud Catcher.

Unfortunately, the Cubs aren't an ignorant franchise, so I don't see it ever going down.

Lord Byron 34
07-27-2008, 12:26 AM
I bet Manny ends up staying, but here is a trade proposal because its always fun to speculate.

3-way with Sox, Pirates, Dodgers

Sox get: Jason Bay
Dodgers get: Manny Ramirez
Pirates get: Matt Kemp, Craig Hansen

Here the sox traded Manny and Hansen for Bay. Personally, I dont think Hansen will ever have the mental toughness to pitch in Boston, so he is a throw in. The dodgers give up only Matt Kemp, a relatively small price to pay for Manny. And the Pirates lose Bay, but get Kemp and Hansen (will probably have a great career in PIT, out of the spotlight). The Dodgers could also throw a mid-level prospect into the deal to Pit, but there is really no need.

Lord Byron 34
07-27-2008, 12:32 AM
Okay, so the Mets and maybe . . . maybe the Cards have a sweet-tooth for manny . . . . But has anybody considered the Angels? Or also what about the Diamondbacks? And for those of you saying "What the f@ck you talking about?", check this:

Angels: They want another World Series championship bad! They have Vlad, Hunter and . . . . . ? How about Vlad, Manny and Hunter in a lineup in the playoffs? That would be sick nasty and a Manny deal would make them the favorites from the AL, hands down. Manny as LF or DH, either way the bat is in the lineup. And they have the cash to do it.
What the Sox would get . . . not a whole lot. I would seek Brandon Wood and Ervin Santana, and thats it just because of the Manny contract. If not Santana, what about a serviceable John Garland? Either way we would get rid of Manny and brinf in some young talent with Wood and a nice 3rd or 4th pitcher in Santana/Garland.

I can't see the Sox trading Manny for young players right now. They are not sellers, in fact, they are only 2 games back of Tampa. The wild card will almost certainly come from the east this season, which gives them a 2/3 chance of being in the playoffs. So helping the angels, who just swept Boston last week (with Manny playing for the Sox) would not be beneficial. However, if they could then turn around and trade the prospects they got from the Angels for Jason Bay, Matt Holliday, or Mark Teixeira, then that would work. And if they could somehow get a reliever from Anaheim as well (or LA, whatever), then that would really be a good trade for Boston.

BostonFan 53
07-27-2008, 12:37 AM
I bet Manny ends up staying, but here is a trade proposal because its always fun to speculate.

3-way with Sox, Pirates, Dodgers

Sox get: Jason Bay
Dodgers get: Manny Ramirez
Pirates get: Matt Kemp, Craig Hansen

Here the sox traded Manny and Hansen for Bay. Personally, I dont think Hansen will ever have the mental toughness to pitch in Boston, so he is a throw in. The dodgers give up only Matt Kemp, a relatively small price to pay for Manny. And the Pirates lose Bay, but get Kemp and Hansen (will probably have a great career in PIT, out of the spotlight). The Dodgers could also throw a mid-level prospect into the deal to Pit, but there is really no need.

:speechless:

No way for me. Hansen still has a shot to be something. Manny is better than Bay. No thanks.

BostonFan 53
07-27-2008, 12:39 AM
You, myself, and every other Red Sox fans would have to give serious thoughts to giving up the aging Ramirez for a young potential stud Catcher.

Unfortunately, the Cubs aren't an ignorant franchise, so I don't see it ever going down.

Has nothing to do with being ignorant. The Cubs would love to have Manny, I'm sure of it. Manny is much more valuable in the short term than Soto is and could help the Cubs greatly. Although i don't see it happening, it would work for both sides.

Lord Byron 34
07-27-2008, 12:54 AM

No way for me. Hansen still has a shot to be something. Manny is better than Bay. No thanks.

I see your thinking about Hansen, but Bay is younger than Manny and has little to no history of faking injuries, refusing to pinch hit, leveling traveling secretaries, or rolling in the outfield. :laugh2:

Bay: .287-22-61
Ramirez: .298-19-63
Those numbers look pretty similar to me.

DodgersFan28
07-27-2008, 01:04 AM
You're all going off the assumption that Manny is tradeable. I'm curious what has you all so confident this is so? Remember when Manny was put on waivers and was claimed by no one? He's got a gargantuan salary that the D'Backs (with Byrnes, Young, Upton, Jackson for OF) won't give a second thought about, and the Dodgers won't entertain after the Jones fiasco, the commitments made to Ethier & Kemp, and Pierre's contract.

My prediction: Manny's option for '09 is not picked up, and he walks.

asomen
07-27-2008, 01:10 AM
You're all going off the assumption that Manny is tradeable. I'm curious what has you all so confident this is so? Remember when Manny was put on waivers and was claimed by no one? He's got a gargantuan salary that the D'Backs (with Byrnes, Young, Upton, Jackson for OF) won't give a second thought about, and the Dodgers won't entertain after the Jones fiasco, the commitments made to Ethier & Kemp, and Pierre's contract.

Why let him walk when we might be able to get top talent for him in a trade?

PapelbonLester
07-27-2008, 01:14 AM
we dont even need top talent... just a promising prospect like a brandon wood or a good pitching prospect would do it for me. just get his salery off the budget so we can get a holliday/pitcher with the 20 mill

asomen
07-27-2008, 01:18 AM
Only way we can trade manny is swinging a 3 way deal like we did in the Nomar trade.

I'm thinking about sending Manny to the mets...sending holliday to us...but who do the mets send to colorado? do they have any good young prospects? We could also send bowden or something.

BostonFan 53
07-27-2008, 01:19 AM
Getting his salary off means nothing to me. And i'm sure theo is thinking the same thing. He'll spend money if it's for the good of the team, no matter what. Everyone thinks the yankees will have a big offseason because of all the contracts coming off, it doesn't matter, these owners/GMs have money and they'll spend it.

Wrigleyboy25
07-27-2008, 01:21 AM
Soriano for Manny. Make it happen.

BostonFan 53
07-27-2008, 01:31 AM

Would you do this? I'm not opposed to doing this trade at all. Although we certainly lose talent-wise, Manny has gone frmo being a fan favorite to a player some wan't on the first Bus outta here. Although I'd prefer to get a premier Catching prospect, this trade would certainly be acceptable, IMO.

Tragedy
07-27-2008, 02:42 AM

1) Of course Ramirez is tradeable. There are a handful of teams that would take on $20 per for the next 2 seasons. Why not? A team like the Cubs (They're just an example) that are looking to win the World Series right now would certainly try and swing a deal for a bat like Ramirez.

2) Ramirez option, I can nearly guarantee, will be picked up at seasons end. Letting him walk allows him to pick his teams, which could include teams that will come back to haunt us (Yankees, Angels to start). At the very least we're going to pick that option up and send him out of town.

ccspence8
07-27-2008, 03:14 AM
I see your thinking about Hansen, but Bay is younger than Manny and has little to no history of faking injuries, refusing to pinch hit, leveling traveling secretaries, or rolling in the outfield. :laugh2:

Bay: .287-22-61
Ramirez: .298-19-63
Those numbers look pretty similar to me.

Bay is overrated. I don't like him. I think he's one of those players that have to stay in the NL to be good.

I think Adam Dunn would be a beast in Boston. Even though he K's alot. I don't like some rumors about Pat Burrell. I don't want Jason Bay. I think Matt Holliday is the perfect fit. And please all the people saying Holliday can't hit on the road, please shut the **** up because this year he's batting .307 away and last season he batted .301 away.

I wouldn't mind getting Matt Kemp to take Manny's spot. I see a very bright future in that kid.

.290 11 Hrs 55 RBI 22 SB

Personally I think we should try n get Kemp

BobsYourUncle
07-27-2008, 03:19 AM

like i said he is only good as a dh and there are plenty of other power hitters out there, of course he is not a 150 threat bc he is getting older and bc of that his trade value is decreasing, im not saying manny is not an offensive threat, im saying he has declined over the last few years and there are other dh options, and many many teams would not want to put up with bis crap

BobsYourUncle
07-27-2008, 03:22 AM
[QUOTE=Tragedy;6022435]1) Of course Ramirez is tradeable. There are a handful of teams that would take on $20 per for the next 2 seasons. Why not? A team like the Cubs (They're just an example) that are looking to win the World Series right now would certainly try and swing a deal for a bat like Ramirez.

would the cubs really want the defensive liability in the outfield, they are feeling some heat from the brew crew but they are still chugging along just fine and being national league there is no dh, manny is a leftfielder at fenway because he can play of the wall, in all honesty he is a defensive liability in any other ballpark

ccspence8
07-27-2008, 03:22 AM

When he was put on waivers back then no one wanted to take on a long term contract and 20 million was alot back then. Now his contract doesn't look too bad and he has option years that the team can pick up or they can let him walk and take the 2 draft picks.

So I'm sure many teams will be interested in a big bat who has been reliable for his whole career.

The Red Sox management have taken enough **** from Manny and they ain't playin anymore. As long as they can get a big bat in return or in a separate trade, Manny is gone. I'll miss u Manny but u crossed the line with management.

Now I just hope we get Kemp or Holliday.

If we keep Manny for the rest of the year I was wondering if the Sox would go after Vlad.

I think he is going to be a FA, correct me if I'm wrong.

ccspence8
07-27-2008, 03:31 AM

Do you think the Cubs would do that? I'll tell u one thing if that happened I think I'd wet my pants.

Always been a fan of Soriano

Pedroia
Youkilis
Ortiz
Soriano/Dunn/Holliday
Drew
Lowell
Varitek
Lowrie
Ellsbury

or

Pedroia
Youkilis
Kemp
Ortiz
Drew
Lowell
Varitek
Lowrie
Ellsbury

ideal Sox lineup in 09

Furcal
Pedroia
Ortiz
Vlad
Drew
Youk
Lowell
Varitek
Ellsbury

Wrigleyboy25
07-27-2008, 04:18 AM
I would do the Soriano for Manny deal. I don't know if the Cubs would though.

They'd shed his long term salary and take a shorter big one. They'd lose all the injury worries, they'd gain big time in OBP and wouldn't lose a ton of defense due to Soriano's recent...antics out there.

chomaru
07-27-2008, 05:30 AM
no chance in hell the Cubs trade Soriano for Manny

and for those saying Kemp, that would be similar to the Reds trading Jay Bruce for Manny....not gonna happen.

sboyajian
07-27-2008, 08:08 AM
If Epstein really said this, I think it's just to try and scare Manny straight because regular things don't get through to him.Theo usually does not talk about what they are doing.. even if we all know they are doing it.

I think the journalist took some creative freedom in what Theo's statement meant.. which was basically "If he's willing to waive his clause, I'm willing to try and trade him", however the journalist reports it as "Theo wants to trade him"..

After his recent stunts, I'm all for dumping him.

CyYoungPapelbon
07-27-2008, 08:17 AM
I think the Red Sox have handled this situation absolutely horribly. For an organization that prides themselves on handling things "in house", they've done nothing but make this public.

Someone in the organization apparently leaks to the media (XM Radio) that they are considering suspending Manny on Friday, then yesterday they tell Sean McAdams and Ken Rosenthal that Manny will be fined and/or suspended if he's not in the lineup and now Theo is telling a broadcaster that he's willing to deal Manny.

When the **** did this organization decide that Joe Buck is someone who should be filled in on Red Sox trade discussions/available players? That's none of his business.

This should've been handled by Manny, the trainer and Francona and resolved quickly. If they don't believe Manny and want to make threats like "play or you are suspended", while I don't really agree with it, fine, just don't leak it to the media and let the entire world know. They've turned this into a huge distraction by making all this news public the way they have.

BosoxPapi61
07-27-2008, 08:21 AM
How about this trade

Boston Trades:
Manny
Hansen
Buchholz
maybe Bowden or a low level prospect

Colorado trades:
Brian Fuentes
Matt Holliday

Why for Red Sox?

They get a young left fielder who will replace Manny. They also get a lights out reliever that we have been looking for.

Why for Rockies?

They get a power hitting outfielder. There asking price for Fuentes (Buchholz). Also two young prospects (Hansen, Bowden or someone else.

Would you guys do this trade?

GrkGawdofWalkz
07-27-2008, 08:22 AM

Rasmus, Duncan, Perez at the lightest.

GrkGawdofWalkz
07-27-2008, 08:24 AM
How about this trade

Boston Trades:
Manny
Hansen
Buchholz

Colorado trades:
Brian Fuentes
Matt Holliday

Why for Red Sox?

They get a young left fielder who will replace Manny. They also get a lights out reliever that we have been looking for.

Why for Rockies?

They get a power hitting outfielder. There asking price for Fuentes (Buchholz). Also two young prospects (Hansen, Bowden or someone else.

The Redsox wouldn't trade Buchholz, if a starter was added it'd be someone like Kris Johnson or Michael Bowden.

chomaru
07-27-2008, 08:45 AM
take a look at this guys profile pic and ask yourself if you want him on our team....

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=6423

lil'papi
07-27-2008, 09:05 AM
WOW, some silly ideas floating around.

The Sox would ink him to a 3/45 4/60 deal and trade him to anyone interested. This way the team getting him gets some security. The other tidbit is it would give Manny incentive to accept being traded remember he is a 10-5 guy.

So the team recieving the enigma would get .300 -25-30-100 for 15 mil per. He can adequately play LF or make him a full time DH would IMO make him more dangerous as a hitter. He would focus just on hitting.

The right manager and FO could massage him along for a couple years. He would put a bunch of teams over the top this guy is a wrecking ball in post season!

Stop with the he isn't trade able he is , but those two things probably have to happen first.;)

enigma> pretty much sums it up...
1. a puzzling or inexplicable occurrence or situation: His disappearance is an enigma that has given rise to much speculation.
2. a person of puzzling or contradictory character: To me he has always been an enigma, one minute completely insensitive, the next moved to tears.
3. a saying, question, picture, etc., containing a hidden meaning; riddle.

The end of the riddle is what would we get in return. We don't want more prospects we need a big bat , not potential. We MUST replace his production right away! Getting some scrub and two prospects won't fly.

Lastly, Theo told the media they could say it. Folks this is the best PR machine in BB operating here. They are sending the guy a message.
As for things leaking into the media this isn't the CIA or FBI it's a BB team. Every team with so many people covering them , things get out. I'm quite sure in Manny's case they do it on purpose. They also always put feelers out to the NATION to get a reaction to a situation. This case ~is it ok to trade him~!

The answer is obvious...

Dirty Dirk41
07-27-2008, 09:17 AM
Is Holliday a F.A when the season ends? Id like if we could Trade Manny for a big package of players that can help NOW and some prospects. Then in the offseason sign Holliday. I know its no gurantee he will sign with the sox But maybe we can throw em a LARGE contract.

and all this talk about Manny not being tradeable. He has his 10-5 rights which sucks if he doesnt like a certain trade. But as far as contracts/ J.D got what 14-16 million and never really once has put up numbers like manny, whos makin a few million more at 20. Teams wont mind mannys contract. HES A LETHAL hitter. I am only down with a Manny trade if we get awesome talent in return. i dont wanna just trade Manny for the sake of getting him out of here. we need to use him to bring in some helpful pieces that can contribute right away

papipapsmanny
07-27-2008, 11:45 AM
Remember this deal was on the table for manny....

Matt Kemp, James loney, and Jonathan Broxton for Manny. that looks like a great deal

but we wanted a 4th prospect so the dodgers backed out

ccspence8
07-27-2008, 11:55 AM

and for those saying Kemp, that would be similar to the Reds trading Jay Bruce for Manny....not gonna happen.

I didn't mean Manny straight up for Kemp. More like a package of prospects for Kemp. And then with Manny we trade the best we can get for him.

ccspence8
07-27-2008, 11:58 AM
How about this trade

Boston Trades:
Manny
Hansen
Buchholz

Colorado trades:
Brian Fuentes
Matt Holliday

Why for Red Sox?

Why for Rockies?

I would do Manny and Hansen tops for Holliday. Forget Fuentes he is too inconsistent. I think he would blow on the Red Sox.

chomaru
07-27-2008, 12:02 PM
I didn't mean Manny straight up for Kemp. More like a package of prospects for Kemp. And then with Manny we trade the best we can get for him.

yea that sounds like a good idea, I was thinking the same thing, dump Manny for what we can get and use a combo of those prospects plus ours to land a replacement. From what Iv read so far today Philly is the hot spot at the moment.

ccspence8
07-27-2008, 12:03 PM
Is Holliday a F.A when the season ends? Id like if we could Trade Manny for a big package of players that can help NOW and some prospects. Then in the offseason sign Holliday. I know its no gurantee he will sign with the sox But maybe we can throw em a LARGE contract.

and all this talk about Manny not being tradeable. He has his 10-5 rights which sucks if he doesnt like a certain trade. But as far as contracts/ J.D got what 14-16 million and never really once has put up numbers like manny, whos makin a few million more at 20. Teams wont mind mannys contract. HES A LETHAL hitter. I am only down with a Manny trade if we get awesome talent in return. i dont wanna just trade Manny for the sake of getting him out of here. we need to use him to bring in some helpful pieces that can contribute right away

Holliday has the rest of this year and next year...that's why we have to trade for him.

Wrigleyboy25
07-27-2008, 12:04 PM

Why? Manny is much better. Soriano doesn't steal bases anymore, he keeps getting hurt, and his contract is massive for years and years to come.

ccspence8
07-27-2008, 12:05 PM
Remember this deal was on the table for manny....

Matt Kemp, James loney, and Jonathan Broxton for Manny. that looks like a great deal

but we wanted a 4th prospect so the dodgers backed out

I'll add hansen and another spec for that deal. DO IT.

Tragedy
07-27-2008, 12:08 PM
How about this trade

Boston Trades:
Manny
Hansen
Buchholz

Colorado trades:
Brian Fuentes
Matt Holliday

Why for Red Sox?

Why for Rockies?

People need to stop with this Holliday for Ramirez crap.

It doesn't make sense. Why would the Rockies trade away Holliday (Younger) for Ramirez (Older, more expensive)? Most of the reason that the Rockies are trading Holliday is because he's about to be inline for a contract like Ramirez.

chomaru
07-27-2008, 12:11 PM
Why? Manny is much better. Soriano doesn't steal bases anymore, he keeps getting hurt, and his contract is massive for years and years to come.

yea I agree except I dont think Cubs management feels the same. also not totaly sure on this but his injuries seem to be freakish not like a lingering thing.

Wrigleyboy25
07-27-2008, 12:17 PM
yea I agree except I dont think Cubs management feels the same. also not totaly sure on this but his injuries seem to be freakish not like a lingering thing.
The leg injuries seem to be lingering to me. The recent stint on the DL from the hit by pitch was obviously freakish.

Who knows what the Cubs front office feels, but I know most Cub fans who watch Soriano fall to an 0-2 count every at bat and stay cold until a week or two of being hot would rather have Manny.

bigmike611
07-27-2008, 12:23 PM
Since most likely the only option is to give manny his extension then, Theo should trade manny to Philidelphia (the only place manny wants to go) for Shane Victorino and alot of pitching maybe some starters, relivers, and prospects.

chomaru
07-27-2008, 12:27 PM
The leg injuries seem to be lingering to me. The recent stint on the DL from the hit by pitch was obviously freakish.

Who knows what the Cubs front office feels, but I know most Cub fans who watch Soriano fall to an 0-2 count every at bat and stay cold until a week or two of being hot would rather have Manny.

yea sorry didnt know he has bum legs. it just seems like he is very valuable to the franchise, selling merch and whatnot, I know I want a Soriano jersey lol.

ccspence8
07-27-2008, 12:44 PM
Kemp, Loney, Broxton for Manny and Bowden

redsoxfuture
07-27-2008, 01:35 PM
phillies get:
manny
hansen

red sox get:
victorino
best catching prospect
relief help
another decent prospect

BostonFan 53
07-27-2008, 02:20 PM
Right now I'd trade Manny for Kemp straight up.

BigEric
07-27-2008, 02:27 PM
Is that Matt Holliday/ Manny trade dead?

ccspence8
07-27-2008, 02:28 PM
exactly what I'd do.

Kemp would be a good #3 or #5 hitter. He's a 5 tool player but I think the Dodgers wouldn't mind Ramirez. Please try to do this deal Theo.

ccspence8
07-27-2008, 02:29 PM
Is that Matt Holliday/ Manny trade dead?

There never was a deal.

They want prospects for Holliday. The rumor was Bowden, Hansen, Moss, spec.

metsbulls1025
07-27-2008, 02:35 PM
Doesn't Manny have a no trade cluase. Why the hell would he go to Colorado if he does. I also don't see the Rockies taking on all that money when the reason for trading Holliday is because of money.

BostonFan 53
07-27-2008, 02:45 PM
There is a 0% chance he goes to Colorado. His salary is too high and they need to rebuild their farm system.

evasiveanswers
07-27-2008, 02:48 PM
Honestly, I think that the most realistic option is trading manny and a little cash to the Phillies for Pat Burrell and Carlos Ruiz. It's not a fantastic haul, but I would bet the Phils take it, and it gets a decent replacement for Manny who we know will actually play when he's in the lineup, and a reasonably young catcher with some potential.

qwestion13
07-27-2008, 03:13 PM
Honestly, I think that the most realistic option is trading manny and a little cash to the Phillies for Pat Burrell and Carlos Ruiz. It's not a fantastic haul, but I would bet the Phils take it, and it gets a decent replacement for Manny who we know will actually play when he's in the lineup, and a reasonably young catcher with some potential.

I don't think the Phils would give up Burrell in a package for Manny. Burrell's been the team's only consistentright-handed run producer, and his numbers are pretty similar to Manny's over the course of the season...He even has a better OBP. I just don't see Manny being that much of an upgrade over Burrell.

I also don't see the Phils giving up Victorino in a deal. That would make their outfield Manny in left, Burrell in right, and Jayson Werth in center, quite possibly the worst defensive outfield of all time. Plus when he's on, Victorino is one of the few table setters the Phils have.

For these reasons, I don't see the Phils giving up anything that would interest the Red Sox unless it's prospects.

cclipper44
07-27-2008, 04:27 PM
It was just reported on espnews that Manny Ramirez told reporters from espn deportes that he wouldn't necessarily decline a trade if it were to happen. I don't have a link since it was on tv, but i'll try to find one.

cclipper44
07-27-2008, 04:28 PM
Ok, i found the link. Here it is...
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3507249

Petertherock
07-27-2008, 04:37 PM
Ok, i found the link. Here it is...
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3507249

"The Yankees are getting closer and getting stronger, while we haven't done much," said Ramirez. "I could say that right now there's a strange atmosphere in our team," he added.

He's making his pitch to go to the Yankees.

Petertherock
07-27-2008, 04:42 PM
How about Abreau for Manny?

cclipper44
07-27-2008, 04:43 PM
Not a frickin chance!

asomen
07-27-2008, 04:44 PM
I've said this before...but I need some help....who knows Mets propects fairly well?

This would be an ideal trade for both sides if something like this could be pulled off...

Sox get: Holliday fuentes

Mets get: Manny

Rockies get: Bowden, Moss, ______(insert mets top prospects here)

All in all we get the RP we want and get a perfect fit to get rid of Manny.

Manny doesn't block trade because he goes to contender.

Rockies get alot of prospects. They want bowden and moss from us and they can a mets top prospect as well...maybe another throw in from the mets too.

papipapsmanny
07-27-2008, 04:53 PM
hmm i feel a trade would actually be the smartest thing.

We could get some stuff for him

we have prospects to go after another power bat

we have options cause youk can play 1st, 3rd or LF

asomen
07-27-2008, 04:54 PM
hmm i feel a trade would actually be the smartest thing.

We could get some stuff for him

we have prospects to go after another power bat

we have options cause youk can play 1st, 3rd or LF

Manny for teixera possibly also? Move Youk to left.

cclipper44
07-27-2008, 05:00 PM
I can't see the Sox moving a gold glove 1B to LF, but i guess if he woildn't mind it and we got a bat, it wouldn't be any worse than manny out there. Still can't see it happening though.

asomen
07-27-2008, 05:06 PM
I can't see the Sox moving a gold glove 1B to LF, but i guess if he woildn't mind it and we got a bat, it wouldn't be any worse than manny out there. Still can't see it happening though.

Yeah i agree. I still think the 3 way trade I proposed would benefit the sox the most out of any trade that we could do.

BostonFan 53
07-27-2008, 05:12 PM
Manny is not getting traded to the yankees. Unless some godly offer of A-rod, Chamberlain, Hughes, Jackson, and Riviera comes up. Thats very possible :)

BouGa
07-27-2008, 06:21 PM
- Manny Ramirez reportedly told ESPNDeportes.com that he's open to a trade if the Red Sox wish to move him.

He didn't make it sound as though he's requesting one. "I don't want to be a problem and a distraction to the Red Sox in such a critical moment of the season," he said. "I want to help the team, even if that means I have to go." Ramirez also indicated that he didn't have any specific teams to which the Red Sox couldn't trade him. "I don't have any preferences: I could choose a team that offers me the best conditions or one in the chase for the postseason. I don't care where I play, I can even play in Iraq if need be. My job is to play baseball," he said.

cclipper44
07-27-2008, 06:27 PM
This has been posted in a different thread so idk if it should be moved.

ccspence8
07-27-2008, 06:28 PM
I think the Sox are gonna trade Manny to the Dodgers or Mets.

If we trade him to the Dodgers we could prob get 2/3 of these players: Matt Kemp, James Loney, Jonathon Broxton.

If its to the Mets its probably a package around Martinez (very young 5 tool player) or Niese (potential #1/2 left handed starter).

BostonFan 53
07-27-2008, 06:41 PM
F-mart is untouchable.

yaowowrocket11
07-27-2008, 06:42 PM
:cheer:

Trade him NOW!

bosox1899
07-27-2008, 06:45 PM
How about this trade

Boston Trades:
Manny
Hansen
Buchholz

Colorado trades:
Brian Fuentes
Matt Holliday

Why for Red Sox?

Why for Rockies?

well i wont go as far as the other poster, but that is so lopsided towards one team its not funny. we re giving up 2 top prospects, a 30 HR 120 RBI guy, and a reliever who may not be good now but still has years to improve for a outfielder who may be slightly better defensive, but lower on the offensive scale, then a reliever whos prob not even worth crisp straight up

BigDaddyKaine
07-27-2008, 06:45 PM
I think there is very little chance of a Manny Ramirez trade, although it would not suck to have a Matt Holliday or someone of that sort in there..

Manny for Holliday that is a complete joke the rockies get completely ripped off with that deal.... come on Sox fans your starting to sound like yankee fans (not good)

ThreeIfBaerga
07-27-2008, 06:47 PM
F-mart is untouchable.

I think you underestimate Omar's man-crush on Manny.

BigDaddyKaine
07-27-2008, 06:49 PM
I think the Sox are gonna trade Manny to the Dodgers or Mets.

If we trade him to the Dodgers we could prob get 2/3 of these players: Matt Kemp, James Loney, Jonathon Broxton.

If its to the Mets its probably a package around Martinez (very young 5 tool player) or Niese (potential #1/2 left handed starter).

umm no way in hell would the dodgers trade Kemp for a 36 yr old declining player.... Brox is not gonna go anywhere and neither is Loney

Manny is gonna stay in a sox uniform

BostonFan 53
07-27-2008, 06:59 PM
I think you underestimate Omar's man-crush on Manny.

He wasn't traded for Santana, he won't be traded for Manny.

Redsox07Champs
07-27-2008, 06:59 PM
if we trade manny, i want an outfeilder and relief pitcher in return.

Vthockeydad
07-27-2008, 07:09 PM

No way I would make that trade !

nyyfan4life
07-27-2008, 07:11 PM

BostonFan 53
07-27-2008, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the insight.

cocossox
07-27-2008, 07:42 PM
to be honest im not sure what we couls get for him but i know it wont be as much as some might think but i gotta say this guy is really starting to get under my skin as far as i can see the fun & games are over...theo, please get this jack *** outta here! :mad: at this point i really dont care who we get back! i am so ticked off! :mad:

tc2deuce
07-27-2008, 07:54 PM
I AM DONE......I LOVED THE GUY BUT I AM TIRED OF THIS ISH EVERY YEAR!....send him to the Marlins for HanRam and a prospect!,........lets see how he likes playing in front of a single A crowd every night! :pity::pity:

ThreeIfBaerga
07-27-2008, 07:57 PM
I AM DONE......I LOVED THE GUY BUT I AM TIRED OF THIS ISH EVERY YEAR!....send him to the Marlins for HanRam and a prospect!,........lets see how he likes playing in front of a single A crowd every night! :pity::pity:

Yeah. . . a 36 year old malcontent LF for a 23 year old who happens to be one of the top 3-5 players in baseball AND a prospect.

Do people think before they post?

BostonFan 53
07-27-2008, 07:58 PM

If that trade was possible i'm sure hanley would be in Boston right now.

cocossox
07-27-2008, 08:18 PM
whats realistic here? I hear Dunn's name some & Holiday. heres my idea would u guys be ok with Dye & OC for Manny & some other lower prospect??

BigDaddyKaine
07-27-2008, 08:48 PM
Yeah. . . a 36 year old malcontent LF for a 23 year old who happens to be one of the top 3-5 players in baseball AND a prospect.

I would say HanRam is the best player in baseball.... I really can not think of anybody who i would rather have on my team

Lord Byron 34
07-27-2008, 08:52 PM
How about Manny, Daniel Bard, and Chris Carter for Pat Burrell and J.C. Romero?

Tragedy
07-27-2008, 08:54 PM

No, absolutely no.

Ramirez is going to be on the Sox until the offseason. Face it.

cclipper44
07-27-2008, 08:55 PM
How about Manny, Daniel Bard, and Chris
Carter for Pat Burrell and J.C. Romero?

I might speak for most poeople when I say no thanks to that deal. Carter and Bard are both tearing it up in the minors right now, and Manny is a better player in this deal when packaged with those two. The Sox already had Romero and if I remember correctly the DFA's him. So, no thank you!

BosoxPapi61
07-27-2008, 08:57 PM
Here is a completely crazy idea!

Red Sox receive: Jimmy Rollins

Philies Receive: Manny, Craig Hansen

Red Sox get the guy the Phillies are fed up with, Phillies get the guy the Red Sox are fed up with!

BostonFan 53
07-27-2008, 09:00 PM
The only possible way manny moves due=ring the season is in a nomar-esque trade with multiple teams involved.

ThreeIfBaerga
07-27-2008, 09:01 PM
I would say HanRam is the best player in baseball.... I really can not think of anybody who i would rather have on my team

To be fair you can't discount A-Rod, Pujols, Wright, Berkman. . . You can talk about contracts all you want, but we're talking about best players, not best values.

bosox3431
07-27-2008, 09:05 PM
whats realistic here? I hear Dunn's name some & Holiday. heres my idea would u guys be ok with Dye & OC for Manny & some other lower prospect??

I think for a Dunn or Holliday deal to be realistic a third team needs to be involved. If either wanted to pay Manny 20 mil next year they would just extend Dunn/Holliday for less, not to mention they are younger.

ccspence8
07-27-2008, 09:08 PM

**** JC Romero we already saw what he did with the Sox. Why would we give up Bard and Carter for Burrell???

JUST TRADE FOR MATT KEMP.

Tragedy
07-27-2008, 09:10 PM
**** JC Romero we already saw what he did with the Sox. Why would we give up Bard and Carter for Burrell???

JUST TRADE FOR MATT KEMP.
I would, in a heartbeat, let go of Ramirez to get a player like Kemp.

Kemp, Loney, and Kershaw. Do it. :laugh2:

bosox3431
07-27-2008, 09:26 PM
I would, in a heartbeat, let go of Ramirez to get a player like Kemp.

Kemp, Loney, and Kershaw. Do it. :laugh2:

Somebodys playing a little to much playstation.:D With that deal Id be willing to send Bowden also, Kershaw is better then Bowden and Loney and Kemp on top of that. :drool:

tc2deuce
07-27-2008, 09:30 PM

it was a joke! ...apparently you must be the god of the message boards..:clap:
it could happen...i mean it is the marlins!

turnaround3
07-27-2008, 09:51 PM
How bout the Cubs farm minus top-propsect Josh Vitters and headcase Rich Hill. How's that sound?

rufo4100
07-27-2008, 09:59 PM
Ship Manny out...ASAP. I have never felt this way before but I absolutely think he is a cancer right now and I dont think he will help this team anymore this season. I would even trade him for prospects...then try and grab Griffey Jr. Just an idea in regards to Griffey but ship Manny out. No longer worth it.

ccspence8
How about we just keep Manny, he's 2-2 and he ran through the stop sign and still made it home. Who needs 3rd base coaches anyways.

ThreeIfBaerga
it was a joke! ...apparently you must be the god of the message boards..:clap:
it could happen...i mean it is the marlins!

No, I just hate BS posts and trade proposals that add nothing of value.

tc2deuce
07-27-2008, 10:31 PM
No, I just hate BS posts and trade proposals that add nothing of value.

sorry for the comic relief bud! "why so serious?":)

Fribbles
07-27-2008, 10:46 PM
IMO..If I were Theo Epstien and I could make this trade happen...I would

Rockies Recieve:
Justin Masterson or Chris Hansen
Manny Ramirez

Red Sox Recieve:
Brian Fuentes
Matt Holiday

Puts another lefty in the pen, and we get a big bat in return. Plus im not sold on either one of those pitchers being solid relievers

cclipper44
07-27-2008, 10:49 PM
IMO..If I were Theo Epstien and I could make this trade happen...I would

Rockies Recieve:
Justin Masterson or Chris Hansen
Manny Ramirez

Red Sox Recieve:
Brian Fuentes
Matt Holiday

Puts another lefty in the pen, and we get a big bat in return. Plus im not sold on either one of those pitchers being solid relievers

since when did we sign the Dateline NBC All-star at catching internet predators. lol:D. In all seriousness i think that'd be a pretty silly trade for the Sox considering what we've seen from Masterson so far.

BostonFan 53
07-27-2008, 10:59 PM
:laugh:

There is NO chance the Sox Trade Manny to the Rockies.

americanoutlaw
07-27-2008, 11:01 PM
If the Sox finaly do trade Manny they need to seek a deal with with a young possable power hitting catcher as part of deal seeing that the biggest probleam with the Red Sox

The sox may have to pick up a little bit of the tap and may have add a other player to the deal like nomar

The Intimidator
07-27-2008, 11:08 PM
We've heard all of this several times before from Manny, and the end result will be the same as past years: he'll stay in Boston. I have been adamant over the last week or so in saying that the Sox will pick up the 2009 option on Manny, but I now believe that he is a goner after the season. He has created too much turmoil, and it is apparent that Manny and the Sox will get a divorce in the offseason. However, the Sox realize that they will not be able to replace Manny's production in the lineup by trading him before the deadline. MANNY JUST DROVE IN A RUN AS I'M TYPING THIS :D

RedSoxtober
07-27-2008, 11:11 PM

What makes me confident? Zito, Soriano, Andruw Jones, ... They're all withing $2M of Manny. Trading for Manny would be as much about marketing as it would be about his on field production. The negative crap in BOS makes it possible for the Sox to pull it off.

You're right in regard to his value dropping, though.

When he was put on waivers back then no one wanted to take on a long term contract and 20 million was alot back then. Now his contract doesn't look too bad and he has option years that the team can pick up or they can let him walk and take the 2 draft picks.

That's a slight overstatement. When Manny was put on irrevocable waivers plenty of guys had gotten big contracts. Helton signed his bloated deal earlier that year. It was, however, during the salary contraction that followed the imposition of the 'luxury tax'. It was a brilliant move because most teams could not afford to take him either because of tax implications or cash flow... but it was clearly received by Manny as STFU...

My bet is that we're at the same point in this situation. The "leaks" are all messages to Manny.

This should've been handled by Manny, the trainer and Francona and resolved quickly. If they don't believe Manny and want to make threats like "play or you are suspended", while I don't really agree with it, fine, just don't leak it to the media and let the entire world know. They've turned this into a huge distraction by making all this news public the way they have.

Manny deserves a good bit of the blame for that. He is the one who claimed to be hurting for a week but didn't tell the trainers or manager (he would have had Wed off, no question). He kept coming into the office with no warning and claiming a knee injury that could not be diagnosed. MRI's were clean and he still claimed to be hurt. When does he have to grow up?

He wasn't traded for Santana, he won't be traded for Manny.

F-Mart wasn't traded for Santana because they just would not let go another OFer in a deal for a pitcher. Getting Manny for at least two years would be different.

HanRam and Manny are similar in that they're great at the plate but poor defenders. Hanley is a pretty weak SS; his future is probably in CF.

Malcontent or not, Manny is still so much better than Burrell that no extras would leave BOS to balance things. I don't really care much about Carter b/c he won't see Fenway except during Sep. No way I'd move Bard at the moment especially for someone who flamed out once in BOS.

Vthockeydad
07-27-2008, 11:19 PM

You are dreaming. That would never happen. HanRam is worth so much more than Manny. I think the Sox should hold onto Manny if they cannot get equal value and let him walk. Then take 2 draft choices.

97'bulls
07-27-2008, 11:25 PM
I'm really not sick of him like all the writers are. The guy has been in the league for 15 years... He's gonna have sore knees.

R to the G
07-27-2008, 11:52 PM
The Mets were trying to downplay their interest in Manny Ramirez, but an official with one of the teams involved said the Mets and the Phillies were both in serious pursuit of the goofy Red Sox slugger.

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the delicacy of the negotiations, said a deal was probably too complicated to get completed before Thursday's deadline. But Ramirez told people in Boston yesterday that he'd be open to waiving his no-trade protection and approving a deal out of town.

The Phillies may have the edge with Marson, as Boston is looking for catching help in 2009 and beyond. But Ramirez may be an enticing enough target that the Mets would start talking about prospects that have so far been off-limits -- players such as Fernando Martinez, Jon Niese and Robert Parnell.

NJ.com (http://www.nj.com/mets/index.ssf/2008/07/manny_ramirez_has_ny_mets_atte.html)

There are some real nice names in there like Fernando Martinez , Jon Niese and Lou Marson. To be honest, I don't see Manny being traded by Thursday nor do I see the Mets giving up either of those players especially Martinez.

phillies1980
07-28-2008, 12:12 AM
NJ.com (http://www.nj.com/mets/index.ssf/2008/07/manny_ramirez_has_ny_mets_atte.html)

There are some real nice names in there like Fernando Martinez , Jon Niese and Lou Marson. To be honest, I don't see Manny being traded by Thursday nor do I see the Mets giving up either of those players especially Martinez.

I'd be very surprised if the Phils gave up Marson for anything other than pitching.

That being said....J.A. Happ (a good LH SP, who has 3 MLB starts) was pulled from his start in Lehigh Valley PA today after 3 innings of shutout ball. Thought that was interesting. Maybe Happ and Marson for Manny? Would be very surprised though.

phillies1980
07-28-2008, 12:17 AM
Malcontent or not, Manny is still so much better than Burrell that no extras would leave BOS to balance things. I don't really care much about Carter b/c he won't see Fenway except during Sep. No way I'd move Bard at the moment especially for someone who flamed out once in BOS.

Burrell has a full no-trade clause and will use it. Overall, Manny has far superior career numbers than Burrell, but Burrell is having a better year than Manny.

BigDaddyKaine
07-28-2008, 12:36 AM
To be fair you can't discount A-Rod, Pujols, Wright, Berkman. . . You can talk about contracts all you want, but we're talking about best players, not best values.

you can take wright and berkman out of discussion of best player but arod and pujols are both in the discussion unless you want a clutch performer then you have to take arod out to.... but I'm just saying if i were to start a baseball team there is no other player i would take over HanRam

agureghian
07-28-2008, 01:00 AM

What would it take

ther is no way in heeeeeeeeeeeel the cubs would trade vitters
this is the 3rd overall pick from 2 years ago.
hes a really highly rated prospect.

Strumpy
07-28-2008, 01:41 AM
Why do we do this over and over again? Every year we get near the deadline and BBTN screams "Manny is gonna be dealt!". He's can't be traded, he won't be traded.

asomen
07-28-2008, 01:50 AM
Well since we seem to be throwing out all possible names....here's my dream trade.

Manny Hansen Bowden for Sizemore.

Show the love.

BostonFan 53
07-28-2008, 01:52 AM
No...

bosox3431
07-28-2008, 02:10 AM
Well since we seem to be throwing out all possible names....here's my dream trade.

Manny Hansen Bowden for Sizemore.

Show the love.

no thanks

asomen
07-28-2008, 02:27 AM
no thanks

wait you guys seriously wouldn't take on sizemore over manny? i hope its the other way around and you think cleveland wouldn't accept.

bosox3431
07-28-2008, 02:50 AM
wait you guys seriously wouldn't take on sizemore over manny? i hope its the other way around and you think cleveland wouldn't accept.

No your talking Manny and Bowden, you is pretty much the Sox best prospect, or somewhere near there, plus Hansen, who I dont really mind trading anymore. Hell no I give that much up for sizemore, he's great, but no thanks.

asomen
07-28-2008, 02:54 AM
No your talking Manny and Bowden, you is pretty much the Sox best prospect, or somewhere near there, plus Hansen, who I dont really mind trading anymore. Hell no I give that much up for sizemore, he's great, but no thanks.

Ok well i was only throwing out big names because it would take a lot to pry away sizemore from cleveland. he's young...hits for power...hits for average...steals bases...plays a mean outfield.

he is pretty much a jacked up ellsbury. I don't think offering just manny would accept it...so maybe manny and hansen for him?

RedSoxtober
07-28-2008, 07:19 AM
I'd be very surprised if the Phils gave up Marson for anything other than pitching.

That being said....J.A. Happ (a good LH SP, who has 3 MLB starts) was pulled from his start in Lehigh Valley PA today after 3 innings of shutout ball. Thought that was interesting. Maybe Happ and Marson for Manny? Would be very surprised though.

I don't believe that the Red Sox would move Manny during the season without getting a quality, every day bat in return. It could happen during the off season because both sides could use other deals to reconfigure but not now.

Burrell has a full no-trade clause and will use it. Overall, Manny has far superior career numbers than Burrell, but Burrell is having a better year than Manny.

Manny has a NTC coverage as a 10/5 guy. So what? Do you really think he loves Philly so much that he'd be upset about getting traded to another team within a game of first place? Particularly when they've had a couple of trips to the WS in the last five years?

Why do we do this over and over again? Every year we get near the deadline and BBTN screams "Manny is gonna be dealt!". He's can't be traded, he won't be traded.

If you don't see that something is different this year you haven't been paying much attention.

lil'papi
07-28-2008, 09:13 AM
Manny doesn't want to be traded ask Lugo. He knows his family gets moved too. He is being defensive and wants out at years end. (not now)
I've said this ten times already he has to cover his value. This year his value is still fairly high , if next year , he has a down year... his value decreases immensely.
He is working his way out of town, simply said. He knows its his last chance to get a decent contract. In fact last night they were saying 4/100mil , which I laughed out loud about.

3/45-50 tops.....no team unless they have a drug lord as a GM will pay him that.

He is in well la-la land.....

He isn't THAT good anymore or young. Nevermind teams scared by his if I feel like playing today attitude. He doesn't realize how good he has it.
Last year he wanted to retire in Boston.....now its Theo and Henry did something to me. Yeah they did ....they kept paying you 20mil per. He has enough money to spend for five generations and he acts out.
Enough already. :rolleyes:

Tankjeep
07-28-2008, 09:29 AM

LOL! i agree on both accounts.

PapelbonLester
07-28-2008, 10:50 AM
its gonna be hard finding a bat to replace his. i love manny i just wish the sox picked up his option for next year so we would have never been in this perdicument

sboyajian
07-28-2008, 11:00 AM
its gonna be hard finding a bat to replace his. i love manny i just wish the sox picked up his option for next year so we would have never been in this perdicument

They still can pick up his option, and unless they find a good trade for him, they will pick up his option. if they take the option they still own him and nothing he nor Boras says can change that. It also prevents another team like NYY or TBR's from pouncing on his big bat.. we have control as to where he could go.

If nothing happens by deadline he will be in a Sox uniform come spring. If they exercise both options, he will not get a 4 year deal after that.. from any team.. the Sox have the upperhand here, and they called his bluff yesterday. He decided to start playing again. Until next year (or the end of September), we have our Manny back.

It likely took a call from Boras to get Manny back in stride. If he continues to act this way or intentionally flub catches and watch strikes, it drastically hurts his value, which is not something Boras wants... it's possible his antics cost him a few million on the open market.

AirJordanXVIII
07-28-2008, 11:47 AM
Trade him to Philly. We'll give you Lou Marson (our best catcher prospect), Victorino, and Jenkins to make the contract's work :D... probably more prospects to though.

BRADY4MVP
07-28-2008, 12:04 PM
Trade him to Philly. We'll give you Lou Marson (our best catcher prospect), Victorino, and Jenkins to make the contract's work :D... probably more prospects to though.

deal....this could be the most reasonable i have seen....dont really know the phillies farm system, but a victorino, MARSON and then whoever sounds good to me

PapelbonLester
07-28-2008, 01:27 PM
i think i would be down for a top catching prospect in Lou Marson from the phillies and maybe a bullpen arm for manny or if the mets are interested take fernando martinez and just sign barry bonds

http://www.nj.com/mets/index.ssf/2008/07/manny_ramirez_has_ny_mets_atte.html

poppapuh86
07-28-2008, 01:39 PM
philly gets:

manny and lowrie

red sox get:

j roll marson and victorino

not sure how the money and contracts work out, even add jenkins to it for conract reasons.. responses?

redsoxfuture
07-28-2008, 01:41 PM
phillies would NEVER trade j roll to us especially for manny and give up their top prospect and a soild outfielder. phillies would laugh at that trade

redsoxfuture
07-28-2008, 01:42 PM
take lowrie and j-roll out and i would consider it a fair trade

poppapuh86
07-28-2008, 01:48 PM
so you are telling me we get victorino and marson for manny???

as a redsox fan you would accept this? tell me why on earth you would accept that?

you are sayign the heck with the rest of this season and lets look to the future if you accept this trade. no offense

i bet we keep manny and let him walk after the year and receive draft picks..i am totally content with this.

thefutureheisma
07-28-2008, 02:10 PM
according to mlbtraderumors.com 4 teams have talked to the red sox about manny the mets dodgers diamondbacks and phillies. the mets have always been rumored to be intrested in manny.... The d-backs have some good pieces such as chris young and justin upton..The dodgers relly intrest me with matt kemp. here is a deal i would do and i think the dodgers would do...

dodgers get:
OF manny ramirez
RP manny declarmen
Rp criag hansen

Red sox get:

OF matt Kemp
Rp johnathan Broxton
Ivan dejuses JR

I think that this would be a geat deal for both teams the dodgers get some pop to the dogers lineup plus some good liv arms to stablize the pen for years.

With the red sox you get free up some money for this offseason and get a
A geat player young player in matt kemp who can play a lot better defense and has tons of speed. Broxton is ayoung power arm who is beign paid under a half million dollars and both players are under control for years to come.

i think this is the best possible del that the red sox could do and free up some money to maybe go after a guy like been sheets or c.c in the offseason.

i really dont want to see manny go but if thy real want him to go this is the best possible deal.

gimme ur deals for manny

redsoxfuture
07-28-2008, 02:11 PM
i was assuming jenkins was in it too from your first post. jenkins and victorino can help with the loss of offense. and we get a top catching prospect. that would not be giving up on this season. sorry for any confusion.

bosox3431
07-28-2008, 02:19 PM
so you are telling me we get victorino and marson for manny???

as a redsox fan you would accept this? tell me why on earth you would accept that?

you are sayign the heck with the rest of this season and lets look to the future if you accept this trade. no offense

i bet we keep manny and let him walk after the year and receive draft picks..i am totally content with this.

Your content with him being a Yankee? Im not, thats for sure.

poppapuh86
07-28-2008, 02:39 PM
if you are not content with him signing with the yanks then why not go ahead and pick up next years option? save a heck of a lot of drama

homie564
07-28-2008, 02:52 PM
wed get absolutely raped n that trade lol manny is better than those 3 combined heres what i d do with the d-backs

We Trade:

Manny Ramirez
Julio Lugo
Manny Delcarmen/Craig Hansen

D-Backs Trade:

Stephen Drew (reunite him an JD)
Yusmeiro Petit
Conor Jackson
Kevin Eichorn

ps im ashamed to post in my team's forum with this sig :cry:

BostonFan 53
07-28-2008, 02:59 PM
reds get-Michael Bowden, Lung Hu, Elerton
Red sox get- Matt Kemp, Jonathan Broxton, Carlos Beltran
Dodgers get-Bronson Arroyo, Manny Ramirez
Mets Gets-Adam Dunn

Reds Give- Adam Dunn, Bronson Arroyo
Red sox give-Manny RAmirez, Michael Bowden
Dodgers give-Matt Kemp, Lung Hu, Elerton, Broxton
Mets Give-Carlos Beltran

lilboytwister99
07-28-2008, 03:06 PM
Very interesting, unlike some people saying the Astros could trade Lee for Manny..... please lol.

I wouldnt be shocked to see a 3 team trade to get him traded. However, I dont see it happening just yet unless they can get his replacement and some bullpen help. But hey Im sure theres teams out there who can offer just that. I just dont know who besides what Ive read so far.

sboyajian
07-28-2008, 03:09 PM
Let's combine this one to the other thread about trading Manny. No need to have so .. manny .. of these.

asomen
07-28-2008, 03:09 PM
If I were Epstein and co....I would do everything in my power to make Manny realize his place in society. I pick up his option...not only next year...but the following year.

Why let Manny tell you what he plans on doing the rest of his career when he is under contract with the Sox for another 2 years if they choose? Does he realize he has no say if they pick up the option or not...he can fake injuries all he wants...all it will do is piss off the organization more and not let him get the money he wants.

And talking about money...why is Manny wanting new contracts to begin with? It's not like he is being underpaid...and it sure as hell isn't because he is scrapping for money. He should be lucky to be getting 20 mil a year at age 36. This is why I have no respect for players like manny needing 25 million a year instead of 20 just to give your ego a boost and brag how you are richer. He deserves not a cent more than what he is earning.

Have fun finding a nice 4 year 100 million dollar deal at age 38 when the Sox pick up both options.

lilboytwister99
07-28-2008, 03:12 PM
Ya know something crossed my mind about a trade for Manny, but it wouldnt make any sense really. I was thinking Manny for Texeira and prospects perhaps, but like I said, it wouldnt do any of the teams good.

Just thought Id share that. Yall have a good one!

homie564
07-28-2008, 03:20 PM
Let's combine this one to the other thread about trading Manny. No need to have so .. manny .. of these.

:rimshot:........:cricket:

GrkGawdofWalkz
07-28-2008, 03:26 PM
Marson is an ok spec, but I'd want more, and there's not a lot more in that system. Manny will not be traded to Philly. Makes no logical sense. For that Manny will not be traded at all.

ThreeIfBaerga
07-28-2008, 03:32 PM
You guys are vastly overrating the value Manny has. He's a 3 month rental for any team who trades for him, the Sox aren't going to get a big package for him, especially ones full of top prospects (Kemp, Dejesus AND Broxton? Do you understand the value those guys have?)

Manny is a malcontent who can't play defense to save his life and is only looking forward to reaching the FA market.

Carlos Beltran for Adam Dunn? Would anyone seriously make that deal?

papipapsmanny
07-28-2008, 03:34 PM
well the teams seem to be the phillies, diamonbacks, mets, and of course as always the dodgers

possible trades

Diamondbacks get:
Alex Cora
Manny Ramirez

Redsox get:
Stephen Drew SS
Conor Jackson LF
Yasmiero Petit

Drew and jackson could help replace manny and petit instantly improves the bullpen

asomen
07-28-2008, 03:34 PM
You guys are vastly overrating the value Manny has. He's a 3 month rental for any team who trades for him, the Sox aren't going to get a big package for him, especially ones full of top prospects (Kemp, Dejesus AND Broxton? Do you understand the value those guys have?)

Manny is a malcontent who can't play defense to save his life and is only looking forward to reaching the FA market.

It all depends on what team he goes to though...someone like the Mets who can offer him a contract that he wants will work. Someone like Arizona wouldn't make sense because they have no chance at him after.

Crucis
07-28-2008, 03:36 PM
And talking about money...why is Manny wanting new contracts to begin with?

Because he has a new agent (Scott Boras) and his new agent doesn't get
anything from Manny until Manny signs a new contract. So, I suspect that Boras is pushing Manny on this.

c2thab
07-28-2008, 03:37 PM
I hope you guys deal him to Arizona personally. No way the Dodgers are giving up Kemp for a rental who will demand 20+ mil a year and probably wouldnt re-sign anyways. The circus comes to town once a year and its not at Dodger Stadium.

wiley6
07-28-2008, 03:37 PM
Mets Gets-Adam Dunn

Mets Give-Carlos Beltran

the mets lose beltran and only get back dunn who they can get for b-prospects? are you serious?

asomen
07-28-2008, 03:43 PM
Because he has a new agent (Scott Boras) and his new agent doesn't get
anything from Manny until Manny signs a new contract. So, I suspect that Boras is pushing Manny on this.

Does anyone else get the feeling that Manny isn't actually talking in interviews? He's just a dumby with his mouth moving but no words coming out. It's actually Boras on a tape recorder saying everything that comes out of Manny's mouth.

ThreeIfBaerga
07-28-2008, 03:43 PM
It all depends on what team he goes to though...someone like the Mets who can offer him a contract that he wants will work. Someone like Arizona wouldn't make sense because they have no chance at him after.

He's a Boras client. He will hit the FA market, even if only to resign with the Mets.

Diamondbacks get:
Alex Cora
Manny Ramirez

Redsox get:
Stephen Drew SS
Conor Jackson LF
Yasmiero Petit

Drew is still the D-Backs SS of the future and Conor Jackson is a 26 year old with a 136 OPS+. They're going to trade that for a 36 year old left fielder who can't play defense and will only be there for 3 months?

BeAn 5 ToWnE
07-28-2008, 03:44 PM

Manny has two option years so he's not just a 3 month rental... :D

ThreeIfBaerga
07-28-2008, 03:48 PM
Manny has two option years so he's not just a 3 month rental... :D

He said he'd only waive his 10/5 rights if he was promised the new team wouldn't pick up his options . . .:D

BostonFan 53
07-28-2008, 03:53 PM
Or if they'd sign him to an extension...

lilboytwister99
07-28-2008, 03:55 PM
Oh Manny's new agent is Boras? Oh good grief. Boras is a rat! I remember during the World Series he had the BRIGHT idea of announcing that A-Rod was parting from the Yankees. Can anyone say NO CLASS? I mean come on Scott Boras is about Scott Boras, and thats all.

He may have some of the best players on his list, but that doesnt impress me. I still think he is a scumbag. Manny is a MAN and can speak for himself. I dont know if he really wants to leave Boston.

boomerdude
07-28-2008, 04:07 PM
Manny Ramirez and Craig Hansen to Colorado for Matt Holiday and Brian Fuentes... Sure Holiday is a two month rental but then so is Manny... We will not pick up his option after his antics this past weekend...

What does everyone think?

asomen
07-28-2008, 04:09 PM
Manny Ramirez and Craig Hansen to Colorado for Matt Holiday and Brian Fuentes... Sure Holiday is a two month rental but then so is Manny... We will not pick up his option after his antics this past weekend...

What does everyone think?

It's not going to happen...they want prospects for Holliday or fuentes....let alone both. second reason...contract issues...third reason colorado are now buyers not sellers.

cocossox
07-28-2008, 04:14 PM
I love to get Stephen Drew in some deal that nolved Manny jmo but what's realistic? imo u guys are really asking for way too much fpr Manny who we all know is on the decline.

lil'papi
07-28-2008, 04:17 PM
Holliday is signed through next year.

americanoutlaw
07-28-2008, 04:17 PM
more info on this player??

shake2605
07-28-2008, 04:22 PM
Ya know something crossed my mind about a trade for Manny, but it wouldnt make any sense really. I was thinking Manny for Texeira and prospects perhaps, but like I said, it wouldnt do any of the teams good.

Just thought Id share that. Yall have a good one!

The Braves have no need for Manny. But what could happen that makes sense for all 3 teams is this:

To Boston: Mark Teixeira

To Philadelphia: Manny Ramirez

To Atlanta: 1 Red Sox prospects and 2 Phillies prospects

The Phillies get a much need second big right handed bat in their lineup, Sox get rid of Manny and get equal value in return and the Braves get prospects they are looking for.

lil'papi
07-28-2008, 04:26 PM
Manny is stuck, we are stuck till Nov 9th.........end of story.

shake2605
07-28-2008, 04:26 PM
Lou Marson is untouchable. Forget about him, because he's the Phillies catcher of the future.

shake2605
07-28-2008, 04:27 PM
That trade doesn't make sense at all.

GrkGawdofWalkz
07-28-2008, 04:28 PM
Lou Marson is untouchable. Forget about him, because he's the Phillies catcher of the future.

Good well, he's not enough, and the Phillies farm system is as dry as the Sahara.

cocossox
07-28-2008, 04:30 PM
If we could get a decent SS & a good catching prospect i''ll be happy jmo

asomen
07-28-2008, 04:32 PM
Liriano wants out...Manny wants out...hmmmm....

BostonFan 53
07-28-2008, 04:33 PM
The only way i can see manny going to Colorado is if we do something Like Youk, Manny, Prospects for Holliday and Helton.

lil'papi
07-28-2008, 04:38 PM

Yankees won't take him...........no way .....no how. If they did we could laugh every August when we play them , as he decides he doesn't want to play.

He would have to face some decent pitchers. :p

lil'papi
07-28-2008, 04:39 PM
Liriano wants out...Manny wants out...hmmmm....

Manny would take up 123% of their payroll. :D

cocossox
07-28-2008, 04:46 PM
I see AZ has connor Jackson playing in LF I'm not good at the trade things but zi will throw one out there & see what u guys think...here gose...

We Trade Manny Lowerie Hansen & maybe another prospect if needed

We Get

Jackson S. Drew & Petit

Wake's Fastball
07-28-2008, 05:16 PM
Colorado has said they want Buchholz for Fuentes, which I'm sure it mostly posturing, but I can't imagine why they'd ask for Clay and settle for Hansen, plus swap a 20-something year old outfielder for a 36-year-old malcontent.

Wake's Fastball
07-28-2008, 05:20 PM

I think the Phillies legitimately have to consider moving him if Manny's otherwise headed to the Mets.

GrkGawdofWalkz
07-28-2008, 05:22 PM
I think the Phillies legitimately have to consider moving him if Manny's otherwise headed to the Mets.

10 Catchers in the system between Single A and AAA 4 more drafted in the first 15 rounds. 3 signed at the moment. I don't know, it doesn't really seems like Philly really would do this. But then again, who knows. Manny really has no chance of being traded.

GrkGawdofWalkz
07-28-2008, 05:25 PM
It doesn't match up at all as well as philosophy at the moment. Colorado wants way to much for Fuentes arleady. Impossible.

sboyajian
07-28-2008, 05:28 PM
Just so everyone knows.. the "The All Purpose Manny News and Rumors Thread" thread for everything concerning Manny except for the idea of trading Manny Ramirez and Craig Hansen to Colorado for Matt Holiday and Brian Fuentes.

Since it's now been mentioned probably close to 10 times, it certainly deserves it's own thread.

bagwell368
07-28-2008, 06:43 PM
The Braves have no need for Manny. But what could happen that makes sense for all 3 teams is this:

To Boston: Mark Teixeira

To Philadelphia: Manny Ramirez

To Atlanta: 1 Red Sox prospects and 2 Phillies prospects

The Phillies get a much need second big right handed bat in their lineup, Sox get rid of Manny and get equal value in return and the Braves get prospects they are looking for.

So, Sox have to find a place for Tex, Youk, Ortiz at 1B, DH, and LF - which will play LF?

Or does Lowell sit for Youk two times a week, and the two weak bats at LF and CF play every day??

I'd rather get a young RP and/or C, and run up the flag on the year.

The Intimidator
07-28-2008, 06:49 PM
Yeah, this trade would be shot down in a second...

Tarheelguy1967
07-28-2008, 06:56 PM
So, Sox have to find a place for Tex, Youk, Ortiz at 1B, DH, and LF - which will play LF?

Or does Lowell sit for Youk two times a week, and the two weak bats at LF and CF play every day??

I'd rather get a young RP and/or C, and run up the flag on the year.

Hmmm, I disagree because I looked at this and it was the only trade possibility on the whole thread the might make sense. If the Sox really want to get Manny, with this trade the definitely get a strong bat. Plus, they have some $$$ available to offer Tex the long-term deal. Plus, they could possibly move Youk to LF - he's definitely an upgrade. Now granted, Youk is a Gold Glove 1B, and might not like the move to LF, but he'd be a defensive upgrade there, and would have the guy who punched him in the dugout earlier this year GONE. Tex is a pretty good 1B himself, so this would not hurt the team at any position, and also would do a pretty good job of covering the loss of Manny's bat. I was against trading for Tex earlier, but would really be for this trade assuming: (1) Youk would stomach the move - tough, but worth checking out if management could make this happen, and (2) we could get Tex to sign a long term deal. Again, like the creativity of this idea.

RedSoxtober
07-28-2008, 07:16 PM

Yankees wouldn't pick him up. There's nowhere for him to play. And if they did, Girardi would kill him before he ever got on the field.

wed get absolutely raped n that trade lol manny is better than those 3 combined heres what i d do with the d-backs

We Trade:

Manny Ramirez
Julio Lugo
Manny Delcarmen/Craig Hansen

D-Backs Trade:

Stephen Drew (reunite him an JD)
Yusmeiro Petit
Conor Jackson
Kevin Eichorn

ps im ashamed to post in my team's forum with this sig :cry:

If the D'Backs are balking at including Conor Jackson in a deal for Tek then they sure won't move him in a deal for Manny.

Mets Gets-Adam Dunn

Mets Give-Carlos Beltran

Time for the annual reminder: 3- and 4-team deals only occur in blogs and XBox. In real life they don't occur -- there are too many moving parts.

If I were Epstein and co....I would do everything in my power to make Manny realize his place in society. I pick up his option...not only next year...but the following year.

Why let Manny tell you what he plans on doing the rest of his career when he is under contract with the Sox for another 2 years if they choose? Does he realize he has no say if they pick up the option or not...he can fake injuries all he wants...all it will do is piss off the organization more and not let him get the money he wants.

And talking about money...why is Manny wanting new contracts to begin with? It's not like he is being underpaid...and it sure as hell isn't because he is scrapping for money. He should be lucky to be getting 20 mil a year at age 36. This is why I have no respect for players like manny needing 25 million a year instead of 20 just to give your ego a boost and brag how you are richer. He deserves not a cent more than what he is earning.

Have fun finding a nice 4 year 100 million dollar deal at age 38 when the Sox pick up both options.

1. I think their openness about trading him is to do exactly what you've said -- they're telling him they won't be held hostage by him and they're willing to call his bluff.

2. It's not about money (as in AAV), it's about years. He wants to play for 4 yrs so that he can rank higher among the all time leaders. At least that's the line Boras is feeding him.

You're undervaluing him. With the right club he'd waive his 10/5 rights regardless of what they'll do about his options. NYM/LAD would both be good places for Manny.

Apparently very unlikely:

“At this point, there’s no interest [in Manny] on our part,” said Gillick, in a telephone interview. “We have no place to play the guy. ...

“Burrell has to play left field and I don’t think Ramirez has played right field in seven or eight years,” Gillick said.

BostonFan 53
07-28-2008, 07:25 PM
Time for the annual reminder: 3- and 4-team deals only occur in blogs and XBox. In real life they don't occur -- there are too many moving parts.
Was the Nomar trade not a 3 team trade?

Tragedy
07-28-2008, 07:37 PM
So, both the Mets and Phillies, two teams that most thought would be a logical landing spot for Ramirez, have openly said they wouldn't pursue him.

Face it, Ramirez is with the team the rest of the year.

RedSoxtober
07-28-2008, 07:37 PM
Was the Nomar trade not a 3 team trade?

1. How many in-season, multi-team deals are carried off every year? Can you name another one? It is the proverbial exception that proves the rule. Moreover, the Cubs still think they got screwed in a paper-flying finale and many teams took the lesson from that deal -- they are too complicated.

2. How many players were involved in that deal? A heck of a lot less than the typical conspiracy-theory trade scenarios that involve three and four players from as many teams.

Tragedy
07-28-2008, 08:46 PM
The Boston Globe reports that the Red Sox did reach out to the Dodgers about Manny Ramirez, but talks didn't go anywhere.
The only way the Dodgers would take him if if Boston would accept Andruw Jones in return. Both the Mets and Phillies appear completely uninterested, so a Manny deal appears highly unlikely.
Source: Rotoworld.com

So, that's three teams down the drain. Ramirez is staying put.

On a side note, remember when we considered trading for Jones a few years ago? Yikes.

R to the G
07-28-2008, 08:55 PM
Contrary to the denials that made the rounds Monday, officials from both teams say the Mets have contacted the Red Sox about Manny Ramirez and are interested in pursuing a deal for him if Boston decides to make him available.

The Red Sox suspect that GM Omar Minaya wants Ramirez more than Mets ownership does. Regardless, the Mets are reluctant to part with top-prospect talent in exchange for outfielders like Adam Dunn, Raul Ibanez and Randy Winn, but they (rightly) consider Ramirez a far superior hitter to those in that group, and they would discuss players in a Ramirez deal that they would not discuss in others. What remains to be seen is whether a Ramirez deal is too complicated to come together in time for the deadline.

NJ.com (http://www.nj.com/mets/index.ssf/2008/07/ny_mets_have_been_in_contact_w.html)

BostonFan 53
07-28-2008, 09:25 PM
1. How many in-season, multi-team deals are carried off every year? Can you name another one? It is the proverbial exception that proves the rule. Moreover, the Cubs still think they got screwed in a paper-flying finale and many teams took the lesson from that deal -- they are too complicated.

2. How many players were involved in that deal? A heck of a lot less than the typical conspiracy-theory trade scenarios that involve three and four players from as many teams.

But they do happen. You said they never happen.

bosox3431
07-28-2008, 10:00 PM
Yankees wouldn't pick him up. There's nowhere for him to play. And if they did, Girardi would kill him before he ever got on the field.

Giambi is a free agent at years end, although they have a $22 million option on him. So Manny could go there in DH, if they let Giambi walk.

papipapsmanny
07-28-2008, 10:33 PM
NJ.com (http://www.nj.com/mets/index.ssf/2008/07/ny_mets_have_been_in_contact_w.html)

fernando martinez and eddie kunz for ramirez

I would do it

papipapsmanny
07-28-2008, 10:46 PM
what about trade manny for prospects, send those prospects to the braves for tex and move youk to LF

Tragedy
07-28-2008, 11:13 PM
what about trade manny for prospects, send those prospects to the braves for tex and move youk to LF
That is way too much to happen in a 2 day span.

Trading Ramirez alone is a major task.

BostonFan 53
07-28-2008, 11:21 PM
That is way too much to happen in a 2 day span.

Trading Ramirez alone is a major task.

I agree. It wouldn't be like the Coco Crisp/Andy Marte thing. Manny has more value to us than he does for any other team, so we'll be asking for a lot. But Manny is asking for the team that gets him to either sign him to an extension or promise not to pick up his option.

Not picking up his option means he's strictly a rental player.
Signing him to an extension would mean giving the team a 48 hour window to negotiate a contract, which would mean a trade would have to be worked out within hours.

Lord Byron 34
07-28-2008, 11:34 PM
Not picking up his option means he's strictly a rental player.

That is why Manny will not be traded at the deadline. No team is going to give the Sox the value they want for two months of Manny.

quiksilver2491
07-28-2008, 11:59 PM
Well this quickly turned into [Post your fantasty baseball trade for Manny Ramirez Thread]

A lot of them crack me up. Some of the people that want him gone can think they can magically swing a deal and replace his bat this season :laugh2:, its going to take a few years before we would be able to come close to replacing his production. Honestly im terrified what would happen if we lost Manny, we wouldn't be garbage but face it, we would look a lot more like your average AL team, something I don't want to go back to.

theLgndKllr35
07-29-2008, 12:37 AM
Burrell and Marson would easily get the job done, hell Marson, Happ, and Donald would probably get the deal done, but will Gillick do it, no.

Also, trust nothing the guy says, he lies more than a carpet especially to the media.

ThreeIfBaerga
07-29-2008, 01:43 AM
Honestly im terrified what would happen if we lost Manny, we wouldn't be garbage but face it, we would look a lot more like your average AL team, something I don't want to go back to.

I agree with the basic premise of your post, but that last part that I've quoted I can't really agree with.

From 03-05 this team was based around "How many big sluggers can we have in one lineup?"

Since then, this FO has done a great job making it a very balanced team. They slug. They run. They show some fancy glovework. They pitch(well, the starters do, at least).

The Sox lost the other half of the Manny-Papi duo for a few months this year, and guess what, they were able to stay within 1 game of first place. They lost a big part of their offense and they weren't an average team. And with the talent pipeline they've got going on, they will be able to replace Manny, either through trade or with one of the young power hitters coming through (Reddick, Lars).

This team can slug you do death with Manny, Papi, Drew, Lowell and Youk. They can run you ragged with Coco, Jacoby, Lugo, hell, even to a lesser extent Pedroia. They can shut you down offensively with a damn good young core of pitching.

This is still a perennial playoff team with or without Manny.

RedSoxtober
07-29-2008, 07:05 AM
But they do happen. You said they never happen.

I wish you weren't serious but I know that you are. They're so rare that they practically don't exist and when they do they involve many fewer players than the 'deals' tossed around by the internet/talk-radio crowd.

Well this quickly turned into [Post your fantasty baseball trade for Manny Ramirez Thread]

A lot of them crack me up. Some of the people that want him gone can think they can magically swing a deal and replace his bat this season :laugh2:, its going to take a few years before we would be able to come close to replacing his production. Honestly im terrified what would happen if we lost Manny, we wouldn't be garbage but face it, we would look a lot more like your average AL team, something I don't want to go back to.

If Manny left we'd quickly look like the team that played without Ortiz for two months. That team remained within a couple of games of first place while the Rays played over their head.

"I find it a little different this time around. I don't sense that this rallying of 'poor Manny' [in the clubhouse]. There's a sense that... they're trying to fight for their lives, they've had a lot of guys hurt, they're out on the road... 'let's see, I'm not going to play the two games this season against [Mariners pitcher Felix] Hernandez. He didn't play the two games against [Yankees pitcher Joba] Chamberlain. He didn't play against [Reds pitcher Edinson] Voquez. He didn't play against [Tigers pitcher Justin] Verlander. I think other teammates look at that and say 'Oh, he doesn't want to play against the hard throwers,' take the day... I think that's also worn people out. ...

"Apparently $168 million isn't enough. I know there's been frustration on ownership's part in the past. I think the frustration is now anger and I'm not sure it's resolvable."

darkhorse357
07-29-2008, 08:03 AM
Logically the Mets are the only team that could afford to add Manny's money but lost interest. The sox need to do whatever it takes to rid themselves of manny. I don't see any team giving prospects to take on 20 million and a headcase.

lil'papi
07-29-2008, 08:37 AM
Manny is stuck, we are stuck till Nov 9th.........end of story.

Again......

lil'papi
07-29-2008, 08:43 AM
Why would we shoot ourselves in the foot in the middle of a race.

Why would we listen to Manny anyway.

Why do people make up ridiculous trades without reading the prior posts as to why it won't happen. (10/5) No matter what he says he will want an extension and a pennant race.

We need him right now.

We can sign and trade him Nov 9th.

We can release him Nov 9th.

We won't put a gigantic hole in our lineup at this point either.

Trust me here.

No team in their right mind especially NL teams would want him for their best prospects and a top hitter we would need in return.

We MUST fill that void.

Theo isn't Criss Angel!

CyYoungPapelbon
07-29-2008, 09:25 AM
Interesting piece by Rob Bradford in the Herald today:

Take, for example, the fact that Manny Ramirez [stats] has told some of his confidants that doctors diagnosed his right knee with what was “probably tendinitis.” The Red Sox [team stats], however, have made no such statement. And the slugger hasn’t issued any such proclamations in public when talking about what has become baseball’s most controversial injury.

Sox officials did not comment last night when asked about the alleged tendinitis diagnosis, reiterating Epstein’s pledge not to discuss the Ramirez situation on or off the record.The Red Sox seemed to have no problem discussing the Manny situation when the stuff they revealed/leaked was making Manny look bad.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red_sox/view.bg?articleid=1109735

GrkGawdofWalkz
07-29-2008, 09:29 AM
To sum up a lot of it (for me), he's helped bring two World Championships here. He's a feared slugger as Rice was in his time. He's a head case and he has always been. After his 9th/10th season it's time for a change. He's going to help this season and we know that. Regardless of when he leaves or how he does he's gone. I don't think any team is going to throw something out there that makes sense for his value as a hitter. So the Marson + thing, won't happen etc. We have the prospects to get a new bat this off season like Bay, or Holilday. It may cost something, but at that time it'll be worth it.

BosoxPapi61
07-29-2008, 10:32 AM
What I think they will new is release Manny after the season. Then throw money at a guy like Holliday!

Tragedy
07-29-2008, 10:34 AM
What I think they will new is release Manny after the season. Then throw money at a guy like Holliday!
It'd cost prospects first.

BosoxPapi61
07-29-2008, 10:39 AM
It'd cost prospects first.

Holliday is a free agent after the year

quiksilver2491
07-29-2008, 10:43 AM
I agree with the basic premise of your post, but that last part that I've quoted I can't really agree with.

From 03-05 this team was based around "How many big sluggers can we have in one lineup?"

Since then, this FO has done a great job making it a very balanced team. They slug. They run. They show some fancy glovework. They pitch(well, the starters do, at least).

The Sox lost the other half of the Manny-Papi duo for a few months this year, and guess what, they were able to stay within 1 game of first place. They lost a big part of their offense and they weren't an average team. And with the talent pipeline they've got going on, they will be able to replace Manny, either through trade or with one of the young power hitters coming through (Reddick, Lars).

This team can slug you do death with Manny, Papi, Drew, Lowell and Youk. They can run you ragged with Coco, Jacoby, Lugo, hell, even to a lesser extent Pedroia. They can shut you down offensively with a damn good young core of pitching.

This is still a perennial playoff team with or without Manny.

Manny Ramirez is one of the greatest right handed hitters of all time, he has put up numbers in this generation pretty much no one besides Frank Thomas has touched without the help of PEDs (to general knowlege of course). If you think Manny's HOF production can be replaced by a guy like Lars Anderson your asking wayyyy to much for a guy who hasn't even played a game above class AA Portland. There is no one that can replace Manny's production in our lineup, he is what it has been based around since he has come here and it will take a while to get used to his absence.

I think your trying to over play our SLG a little bit here. Without Manny we have 2 players that have career SLG over .500, Ortiz and Drew. You are basing a lot on the return of David Ortiz. Who is to say he will ever become the same hitter again? Also how much would you trust JD Drew to lead our lineup? Personally I love Drew and think he was a great addition but there is no denying the fact that he is inconsistent and doesn't have the greatest medical history. Then lets look at guys with a career SLG over .450, we have Mike Lowell and Kevin Youkilis. Lowell put up fantastic numbers just last year but he has come back to Earth now and is showing signs of old age. Youkilis is very promising, he gets OB and now he is even showing signs of greatness with the bat but I wouldn't rely on him to give power to a lineup, he has shown great inconsistency in hitting over an entire year but he should improve. We do have young guys like Pedroia, Ellsbury and Lowrie and they should continue to improve with time but none of those guys are power hitters or ever will be. Im not saying we can't compete for the playoffs without him but when you have teams like the Orioles and Rays that are getting better by the day and you have the Yankee who will always be good, not having Manny does scare me. Your being naive if you believe we won't be losing a great chunk of our offense when he leaves.

PapelbonLester
07-29-2008, 10:54 AM
we NEED to trade manny for a catching prospect. WE NEEDED LOU MARSON. Sucks the Phillies are no longer interested.

Mr.drew
07-29-2008, 11:50 AM
Farve for Manny deal done. i think this will turn out as it always does...nothing will happen. remember a couple years back he was put on waviers and no one took him, he is a headache and GMs dont want to deal with him. not every club has a clubhouse like the sox and manny might not fit in everywhere, i bet the sox pick up his option.

RedSoxtober
07-29-2008, 12:32 PM
Interesting piece by Rob Bradford in the Herald today:
The Red Sox seemed to have no problem discussing the Manny situation when the stuff they revealed/leaked was making Manny look bad.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red_sox/view.bg?articleid=1109735

You are absolutely right. If that doesn't tell you how frustrated the Sox are with Manny then nothing will. He has been bizarre and frustrating in the past but he has totally crossed lines this year. Shoving a 60-yr old co-worker half his size was totally beyond the pale. Calling out the GM and owner, claiming injury that cannot be diagnosed, ... he's just worn out his welcome. He's gone from bizarre-frustrating, to bizarre-unacceptable not only in terms of the types of things he's done (he would have been prosecuted for assault in any other work environment) to the possibility of laying down on his team (if you read the link I posted, it appears that his mid-summer vacation was going to last through NYY, LAA, and OAK if the FO hadn't challenged him -- when did you see his knee act up on the catch in the first inning or his two doubles???).

Unfortunately, he's working himself out of options. Literally and figuratively. He's pushing the FO to the point where they already want to be rid of him and the extent of the problems he's creating is shrinking the market of potential suitors for the $100M/4yr deal he's fantasizing about.

bosox3431
07-29-2008, 12:40 PM
Holliday is a free agent after the year

no he's not.

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/colorado-rockies.html

right after todd helton, 13.5 million for 09

ThreeIfBaerga
07-29-2008, 01:29 PM
Manny Ramirez is one of the greatest right handed hitters of all time, he has put up numbers in this generation pretty much no one besides Frank Thomas has touched without the help of PEDs (to general knowlege of course). If you think Manny's HOF production can be replaced by a guy like Lars Anderson your asking wayyyy to much for a guy who hasn't even played a game above class AA Portland. There is no one that can replace Manny's production in our lineup, he is what it has been based around since he has come here and it will take a while to get used to his absence.

I didn't mean to imply that Lars will come up and give the team .400/.550+ for the next 15 years. You need to look at the big picture of my post. I was trying to say that the team doesn't need to pay Manny Ramirez $20 mil to get what Youk has basically provided for the first half of this season. They can afford to not have two of the most feared sluggers in the game because of all the other things they do well. They don't need to replace Manny's production. All they need to do is get 80% of it and spend the money they save on pitching, prospect development or offense from other positions.

They've got such a balanced team that they can still win plenty of games without one of their big sluggers in the lineup (as they've proved this year).

I think your trying to over play our SLG a little bit here. Without Manny we have 2 players that have career SLG over .500, Ortiz and Drew. You are basing a lot on the return of David Ortiz. Who is to say he will ever become the same hitter again? Also how much would you trust JD Drew to lead our lineup? Personally I love Drew and think he was a great addition but there is no denying the fact that he is inconsistent and doesn't have the greatest medical history. Then lets look at guys with a career SLG over .450, we have Mike Lowell and Kevin Youkilis. Lowell put up fantastic numbers just last year but he has come back to Earth now and is showing signs of old age. Youkilis is very promising, he gets OB and now he is even showing signs of greatness with the bat but I wouldn't rely on him to give power to a lineup, he has shown great inconsistency in hitting over an entire year but he should improve. We do have young guys like Pedroia, Ellsbury and Lowrie and they should continue to improve with time but none of those guys are power hitters or ever will be. Im not saying we can't compete for the playoffs without him but when you have teams like the Orioles and Rays that are getting better by the day and you have the Yankee who will always be good, not having Manny does scare me. Your being naive if you believe we won't be losing a great chunk of our offense when he leaves.

They're losing a $20 mil a year contract. You think they won't put that money back into the team? They're not going to lose Manny and then go all Royals on us and plug whoever wins rock-paper-scissors play left field. Pedro left, they didn't sit on their hands and feel bad for themselves. They used the pieces they had to replace a guy who led their team.

If Manny leaves during or after this season, expect Holliday, Tex, someone to walk through that door to take that #4 slot in the lineup.

BosoxPapi61
07-29-2008, 01:40 PM
Manny may go to LA:

SportsIllustrated.com reports that the Dodgers and Red Sox are currently having discussions about Manny Ramirez.
The talks are said to be in the early stages, and there are said to be a number of obstacles that still need to be cleared. The Red Sox are probably looking for Matt Kemp or Andre Ethier, and the Dodgers would like to rid themselves of Andruw Jones' salary.

-Rotoworld

R to the G
07-29-2008, 01:42 PM
Manny may go to LA:

SportsIllustrated.com reports that the Dodgers and Red Sox are currently having discussions about Manny Ramirez.
The talks are said to be in the early stages, and there are said to be a number of obstacles that still need to be cleared. The Red Sox are probably looking for Matt Kemp or Andre Ethier, and the Dodgers would like to rid themselves of Andruw Jones' salary.

-Rotoworld

I like this idea, but it sounds as if we'd have to pay for most of Manny's salary or just swap him for Andruw Jones.

jetsfan28
07-29-2008, 01:44 PM
SI.com reports that the Dodgers and Red Sox are currently having discussions about Manny Ramirez.

Roto

GrkGawdofWalkz
07-29-2008, 01:51 PM
Roto

Meh, we can eat his salary if we get Kemp. Right on. Let Torre deal with the headcase that is Manny Ramirez.

IceMan360
07-29-2008, 01:56 PM
^^^^But that means we got get andrew jones and his big salary. Can u believe we were gonna trade lester for this guy acouple years ago, that would of sucked

iam brett favre
07-29-2008, 01:58 PM
Anything behind this? on the WFAN last night, they were discussing: Manny and Ellsbury for Beltran?

cocossox
07-29-2008, 01:59 PM
Meh, we can eat his salary if we get Kemp. Right on. Let Torre deal with the headcase that is Manny Ramirez.i agree i'd love to have have kemp

bigmike611
07-29-2008, 02:00 PM
According to Espn.com the RedSox are intrested in Doug Brocail and the Sox have also talked about acqurring Miguel Tejada. The sox should go for a deal that could bring to tejada and brocail to Boston while the Astros get Manny and a few prospects.