PDA

View Full Version : Pistons Covet Josh Smith, May Trade Prince?

phlp_bj
07-28-2008, 08:32 AM
Multiple league sources confirmed Sunday night that despite no sign-and-trade offer on the table between the Pistons and Hawks, Detroit remains very interested in the 22-year-old restricted free agent.

With free agency nearly a month old, Smith remains the most talented player still available.

With the unexpected departure of Josh Childress for Greece, Atlanta is noticeably thin at the small forward position. That's why if the Hawks were to do a sign-and-trade with Detroit, they likely would want the Pistons to part with Tayshaun Prince.

http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.ssf/2008/07/pistons_keeping_an_eye_on_hawk.html

theimortalone
07-28-2008, 09:36 AM
Wow what a trade that would be. That would be insane if the Pistons Got Josh Smith! They would be a threat!

King Koopa
07-28-2008, 09:49 AM
wow i hope he goes out west because when the pistons are finally starting to fall, they go and they get them selfs josh smith...... thats sucks.

Ph1lly Diehard
07-28-2008, 09:53 AM
Now wait a minute.. Tashawn Prince is a big part of the Pistons too.. It's not like there giving up a nobody for him.

Tashawn has turned himself into one of the top 3 best defenders in this league, and a guy that can score, rebound, block, and he comes through in the clutch.

Of course it would help the Pistons, but it would hurt them too.

Tblaze
07-28-2008, 09:54 AM
Now wait a minute.. Tashawn Prince is a big part of the Pistons too.. It's not like there giving up a nobody for him.

Tashawn has turned himself into one of the top 3 best defenders in this league, and a guy that can score, rebound, block, and he comes through in the clutch.

Of course it would help the Pistons, but it would hurt them too.

I agree.

Mile High Champ
07-28-2008, 10:01 AM
Get smith out of the east, I dont want my team to deal with him at all..

recyclow
07-28-2008, 10:23 AM
They will need to give up more than just Prince. If I'm the Hawks asking for Rodney Stuckey as well.

midwestmadman
07-28-2008, 10:37 AM
They will need to give up more than just Prince. If I'm the Hawks asking for Rodney Stuckey as well.

A third team will need to be involved to make it work since the base compensation player rule will apply to Smith. The Pistons would need to send Prince and Amir Johnson to Atlanta and would get Smith and Speedy Claxton from Atlanta. The third team I read would be the Griz who would be a team simply there to take on some minium salary players and a few draft picks out of it. Odds are they would then waive the minimum salary players. The Pistons won't be giving Stuckey to anyone and the Hawks know that Smith needs to be traded now while they can get something in return. Otherwise he plays this year and leaves next year and Atlanta gets nothing. Atlanta isn't the one in control here anymore so they don't really have much say in terms of making demands for who they will get back. At this point they just need to take what they can get that matches salaries and fills the SF void that will be left from Childress and Smith. Fantasy owners look for a huge season out of Al Horford since he will be a ton of minutes!

philsphan28
07-28-2008, 12:11 PM
A link to this article was posted on NBA.com a half an hour ago. This deal isn't happening according to this update.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080728/SPORTS03/807280364/1051

_Sn1P3r_
07-28-2008, 12:25 PM
Yup. The Eastern big-dog team isn't Detroit.

marques724
07-28-2008, 12:56 PM
IF it isn't Detroit then it might be Orlando

TrueFan23
07-28-2008, 03:13 PM
IF it isn't Detroit then it might be Orlando

it's not orlando

lakers4sho
07-28-2008, 03:35 PM
Giving up Prince for Smith has its upsides and downsides. Detroit lose a versatile defender, but they get a high flying scorer in Josh Smith. They do need another offensive threat other than Hamilton or Billups. However, I think that what Detroit needs is a franchise player, a superstar. I don't know if Josh Smith can fulfill that role.

Reezy
07-28-2008, 03:38 PM
it's not orlando
I'm convinced!

/sarcasm

Joshtd1
07-28-2008, 04:17 PM
I dont see why Orlando would do that, seeing as they have Turk and Lewis. Curious to who it is..

lovingTO
07-28-2008, 05:31 PM
I think it's the raptors. They're the only 'big dog' of the east that really lacks a good small forward. I wish they'd give us more information lol.

Reezy
07-28-2008, 05:39 PM
I dont see why Orlando would do that, seeing as they have Turk and Lewis. Curious to who it is..
I know Josh Smith rotates between the 3 and 4, but I imagine he's more accustomed to the 4 than Rashard?

Storch
07-28-2008, 10:44 PM
bad trade for the pistons... prince is better than smith.

SHONIE
07-29-2008, 10:48 PM
why would the pistons want him, he doesn't fit their style