PDA

View Full Version : 4 Relief Options?

hoog
07-28-2008, 07:34 AM
Seeing how Jones is now gone as closer (about freak'n time!), Rodney I just don't trust to close, and Zumaya hurting here is 4 options I found out there that may help us out:

1. Trevor Hoffman, Padres- He's at the tail end of his career, San Diego is completely out of the playoff race, and he would be a short term solution until Zumaya can stay healthy or Perry is ready. Not sure how much he'd cost in the way of prospects but he would be a huge help!

2. Brian Fuentes, Rockies- He's been linked to us quite a few times. He's a very exprienced closer that is available. If we get him he's young enough to hang on to for a while. He'd be an instant fix for our pen.

3. Jason Frasor, Toronto- He should be available finally. With the Blue Jays not winning he really hasn't pitched all that much so he'll be fresh. He can be a closer! He has experience. He's a high strike out guy that just hasn't had the chance in the last few years. I've always liked this guy and wanted him in a Tiger uniform. At worst, he's a great set up guy.

4. J.J. Putz, Mariners- Yes, he lost his closing job to Morrow but he has shown recently that he still has closer stuff. He has the experience to come in and be the man here in Detroit. At worst he can be a very good set up man and fill either Rodney or Zumaya's spot for whichever ends up closing.

I think all four of these guys would be a huge help to our pen. Like I pointed out, even if Rodney or Zumaya go to closer someone has to fill their spots. I think for what it will cost us in young pitchers Frasor and Putz would be the better solution BUT if DD thinks we can make a run I say go for Hoffman and give up some young talent.

IndiansFan337
07-28-2008, 08:37 AM
The question now is why is Jones wasting a roster spot?

He's in the same predicament the Indians had with Borowski. He has no value if he's not closing, because he's not a reliable SU man.

stanpapi
07-28-2008, 10:07 AM
Jones will either be released or traded at this point. My guess is that he'll be released, as demoting him obviously harms his value, and that he would have been traded instead of being demoted if there were any takers.

Bondomania
07-28-2008, 11:12 AM
i would LOVE Putz.. but i heard a rumor, can't remember what site.. but another team asked about him and the Mariners said he wasn't available.. Fuentes is going to cost a ton, so will Street..

Bondomania
07-28-2008, 11:18 AM
something could be up though, there were some moves made today on the farm, AA closer Casey Fien was promoted to AAA today, and SS Danny Worth was also promoted to AAA, maybe a trade is in the works.. or maybe they are going to call someone up to get an extra arm in the BP if Zoom is out for a couple days

chetlemon
07-28-2008, 11:53 AM
Maybe Neal gets a shot. The guy has had arm problems in the past, but could be a good call up if he is effective like he has been at Toledo. Definitely not the answer to our overall problems, but could be a quick fix for our injured and ineffective currently in the bullpen. Anybody seen him play? How hard does he throw?????

Bondomania
07-28-2008, 01:00 PM
96 to 98 however it is a fairly straight 96 to 98 which could be a problem... he struggled in the AAA all-star game, however he has good overall numbers on the season.. i don't think his offspeed stuff is much to brag about either.. i think there are a few guys that should be considered.. neal, cruceta, and fien could all come up and provide a spark in our pen

DetTigers
07-28-2008, 03:31 PM
Neal and Hessman were selected to go to the olympic games so I think they have already left (today) so Neal is definately out of the question. Those were probably some of the reasons why there were minor league roster moves too.