PDA

View Full Version : Balkman & cash to Nugs for t. Green, B. Jones & 2010 2nd

DenButsu
07-28-2008, 06:25 AM
newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/ny-spknix285780524jul28,0,4666991.story):

Knicks consider trading Balkman to Nuggets

The Knicks and Nuggets are discussing a trade that would send 2006 first-round pick Renaldo Balkman to Denver for point guard Taurean Green and small forward Bobby Jones, an NBA front-office source told Newsday last night.

The deal would mark the end of Balkman's mostly confusing tenure with the Knicks, who selected him with the 20th pick two years ago when Isiah Thomas said Phoenix would've swiped him if he hadn't. That scenario appears even more dubious now that the former coach of the Suns, Mike D'Antoni, is ready to ship Balkman out for little more than roster fodder.

The deal was proposed late last week and is being discussed internally by both clubs, the front-office official familiar with the situation said. If the two-for-one deal goes through, it would leave the Knicks with 17 players under contract, although Green and Jones - who have non-guaranteed contracts - expect to be waived. It would get the Knicks back to the 15-player roster limit and save them Balkman's $1.32 million against the salary cap.

DenButsu
07-28-2008, 07:13 AM
I really hope this happens. We lock up a very good young high-energy role player who's defensively oriented, has improving rebounding skills, can do a little inside scoring, and in all likelihood is only going to get better.

Two observations/questions:

The Nuggets seem to be more concerned with replacing Najera than replacing Camby. I've talked a lot in the last few weeks about how important I thought Eddie was to our success, and getting the Birdman and (if it happens) Balkman to me kind of confirms that the FO feels the same way.

Also, should LK be worried about his job? Taken as a whole, if this latest trade does go down, Dahntay Jones, Balkman, Andersen... They seem to be packing the middle of the roster with a lot of role players. Could they be making preliminary moves that fill holes in advance of making a bigger deal that involves moving Kleiza (for, say, a poing guard or center)? LK + Hunter and/or Chucky + a future first rounder is the kind of package that could probably land a pretty good player.

C-Dub
07-28-2008, 08:04 AM
i hope this goes down too, i like jones though

C-Dub
07-28-2008, 08:14 AM
we should pick up robinson too if we do a trade with them, hes short but hey, hes good and not expensive.

DenButsu
07-28-2008, 08:32 AM
i hope this goes down too, i like jones though

I like Bobby, too, but we already know that a) Karl ain't gonna play him and b) the FO picked him up exclusively for the purpose of doing this sort of trade.

Broncs4Life
07-28-2008, 09:46 AM
I like Balkman and wouldn't mind seeing him in Denver. :clap:
He hustles, is a hard worker and would fit well on this team. He'd be a good replacement for Eddie (IMO)

Good observations DenButsu, I wonder if Kleiza could find his days in Denver numbered. He and a pick or another player like Atkins could bring a good player to town.

Bwangster12
07-28-2008, 10:24 AM
we should pick up robinson too if we do a trade with them, hes short but hey, hes good and not expensive.

How would that happen? Who else would Denver give up so that Robinson is included. Mike D'Antoni has stated he loves Nate. I don't think hes gonna be dealt.

This is a very small roster/salary dump for NY. Both Jones and Green are non-guaranteed. Both will get cut if this goes down.

C-Dub
07-28-2008, 10:51 AM
haha, i know he likes him, hes like my favorite player on the knicks so i thought i would just say somethin bout him

LetsGoKnicks123
07-28-2008, 11:11 AM
GTFO here those 2 are the biggest scrubs in the game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Balkman is way better, Walsh aint gonna do this trade!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hustla23
07-28-2008, 11:21 AM
^^ lol

I really hope this doesn't go down. I know you guys like giving away things for free but we're a bit more stingy :D

$KnicksAndKobe$
07-28-2008, 12:05 PM
This trade happens if the Hawks are involved
There is no point of this trade for the knicks side at all

DenButsu
07-28-2008, 12:23 PM
GTFO here those 2 are the biggest scrubs in the game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Balkman is way better, Walsh aint gonna do this trade!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who those players are has nothing to do with it. The only thing that matters is that their contracts aren't guaranteed, so they can be waived and come off the books without counting against the salary cap.

I know you guys like giving away things for free

Yeah, you guys are much more of a "pay ludicrously too much for crap" team than a "give things away for free" team.

ochoa3791
07-28-2008, 12:53 PM
This makes a lot of sense for the Nuggets to go out and make this deal happen as much as they like jones or Green there not as good as Balkman and this allows Denver to explore trade options for L.K. because the fact is lots of teams r lookin at him

Hustla23
07-28-2008, 01:09 PM
Yeah, you guys are much more of a "pay ludicrously too much for crap" team than a "give things away for free" team.

lol you're right. touche .

I meant it as a joke. Hope you're not offended.

But we're back on the right path towards cutting salary :)

I forgot to write in my last post, I understand the Camby move. I read your post about it and you explained it well. It was a calculated salary dump and will definitely help the nuggets financially. And besides, Camby's getting along in years and is very injury prone.

$KnicksAndKobe$
07-28-2008, 02:02 PM
Good thing our Jim Dolan doesn't care if we are over the cap ...

AI
07-28-2008, 04:08 PM
It's official. We just acquired Balkman.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/comments/nuggets-acquire-knicks-forward-07-28-2008.html

avsman05
07-28-2008, 04:08 PM
"In efforts to improve their defense, the Nuggets have traded for Knicks forward Renaldo Balkman, a source confirmed. The Nuggets traded seldom-used guards Taurean Green and Bobby Jones, as well as a future second rounder, in exchange for the 6-foot-8 Balkman and $575,000. Balkman, who turned 24 this month, averaged 3.4 points and 3.3 rebounds last season, but is noted for his hustle and aggressive defensive play. Denver hopes Balkman can crack its rotation in the near future."

done deal guys this offseason is improving

TheFuture6
07-28-2008, 04:15 PM
I guess it's a good move.

But farewell again Bobby Jones. I will miss you... till we bring you back mid-season. :D

avsman05
07-28-2008, 04:15 PM
lol dang beat me ai4life

C-Dub
07-28-2008, 04:20 PM
not bad, i like this, hustle hustle, thats actually what i though we needed this season besides a good PG is a ton of huslte players, maybe karl will actually play them this time

AI
07-28-2008, 04:26 PM
You guys seem to forget that the Knicks most likely will waive both Green & Jones. We can get Jones back after he is waived at a lower cost ;)

$KnicksAndKobe$
07-28-2008, 05:26 PM
Well good luck with Balkman.
He is a energy guy who can block shots and defend and likes dribbling up court to set a fast break. He can't shoot though, all his fgs will be from layups, dunks, like fast break stuff which should work for your tempo.

C-Dub
07-28-2008, 05:33 PM
yeah, we dont need shooters, we need d and high energy person who know how to dunk! oh, ya, we could get jones back, that will prolly happen, we always resign him somehow, lol

Crunchy12489
07-28-2008, 05:41 PM
We basically just received a younger black Eddie Najera (with a little bit worse of a jumpshot)!

We got Birdman also...

I think this Nuggets team is going to shock alot of people... 92% of the people in these forums believe that the Nuggets won't reach 50 wins and/or won't make it to the playoffs.

Denver needs to sign one more piece... We need to trade Atkins/Carter for a better starting point guard... Once this is done I think we are set for the next season! :D

HOZ THE KNICK
07-28-2008, 05:54 PM
good pick up for u guys balkman will be missed but with chandler and galinari somebody had to take the fall.

AI
07-28-2008, 06:53 PM
Anderson, Balkman = Good pickups.

If we can somehow get a true PG and resign JR we are set. But AI will be traded, some of these days you will see but keep in mind, what we get in return will be good.

BRAVE KID
07-28-2008, 07:12 PM
I am good with this move. defense defense and defense. He is known for his aggresive d and I am sure Karl will actually play him. I approve of this move.

kenny922
07-28-2008, 08:00 PM
i love that we got balkman its gonna be a good look plus we got a cash consideration

DenButsu
07-28-2008, 08:21 PM
Well good luck with Balkman.
He is a energy guy who can block shots and defend and likes dribbling up court to set a fast break. He can't shoot though, all his fgs will be from layups, dunks, like fast break stuff which should work for your tempo.

Thanks, and that's exactly the kind of player we need after losing Najera.

But farewell again Bobby Jones. I will miss you... till we bring you back mid-season. :D

Yeah, it's a shame he was underutilized by Karl. But if we were going to let him go (and that seems to be the only reason why we picked him up again in the first place, so we could make this sort of trade), then I'm glad the incoming player is all about D, since that was the most important thing that Jones brought, too.

Wonder how many teams Bobby will play for next season? I think he broke or tied the NBA record last season by playing for 5 teams.

=====================

MORE NEWS ON THIS:

"I think it's a good move, for the most part,'' Balkman said. "We have a lot of forwards in New York. Somebody wasn't going to play. Hopefully this is a better place.''...

As part of the deal, the Knicks will cover about $500,000 of Balkman's $1.3 million salary in 2008-09. The Nuggets have to decide by Oct. 31 whether to pick up his $2 million option for 2009-10...

"I consider myself as a defensive stopper,'' said Balkman, who flustered new teammate Carmelo Anthony during a Knicks victory last season. "I think I can help the team out a lot on defense.''

Balkman, 6-foot-8, 210 pounds, likely will team with newly signed forward Chris Andersen to form the nucleus of an "energy lineup'' off the bench.

"He's a tremendous defender, he's a tremendous steals guy, he's a tremendous rebounder and he's a mile-high runner,'' Nuggets vice president of basketball operations Mark Warkentien said.

Balkman was among the few players not involved in the brawl between the Nuggets and Knicks on Dec. 16, 2006. rockymountainnews (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/jul/28/nuggets-knicks-trade-balkman-green-jones/)

Looks like we have our new "scramble squad". Let's just say for now, since he probably will, that Karl starts Chucky. This now makes the reserves:

AC-JR-Dahntay-Balkman-LK-Birdman-Hunter

We don't know the resolution to the J.R. situation, but the total salary of the other six guys adds up to about $9 million. Six players for $9 mil? That's a pretty damn good bench for that price.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
07-28-2008, 08:33 PM
Hopefully Shaun Livingston or Kirk Hinrich fallow :D

DenButsu
07-28-2008, 08:34 PM
One more word about this:

Remember when everyone was pissed about trading our #20 for a future first rounder? And they were talking about "flexibility"?

Well, think about that move now. With the departure of our 2010 2nd, our pool of future picks would be starting to get a little more shallow. As it is, we still have the future protected first rounder we got from Charlotte and, if I'm not mistaken, both our 2009 1st and 2nd, and our 2010 first.

Incidentally, I believe it was our 2010 second rounder that the Clippers gave us the option of swapping with theirs in the Camby deal, so that option now goes to the Knicks, I assume?

DJiC
07-28-2008, 09:18 PM
well getting balkman is a whole lot better then polluting our bench with people who dont get playing time(jones/green)....gaurantee jones will end up a nugget again cause our FO is like that....and now all we need now is a starting PG/C who bangs/and a less injury prone PF/C positional players

Crunchy12489
07-28-2008, 09:21 PM
well getting balkman is a whole lot better then polluting our bench with people who dont get playing time(jones/green)....gaurantee jones will end up a nugget again cause our FO is like that....and now all we need now is a starting PG/C who bangs/and a less injury prone PF/C positional players

Believe me, Nene bangs... That guy has tremendous power...

I think we need an experienced point guard to set up K-Mart/Melo/AI.

Once we have that piece, I see us finishing at 5th-7th seed on the West. Lakers, Jazz, Hornets, and Spurs will no doubt be the top 4. I see the Rockets falling off...

Mavericks are going to get better... If you ask me, I think the Nuggets and Mavericks are going to be battling for the 5th spot...

Nugget153
07-28-2008, 09:28 PM
I LOVE this trade by Denver, we get hustle. Balkman was the one player from NY I would gladly take on our team. So Kudos to the FO for once!

Hmm..
Since we got Balkman..is Linas expendable? I mean if we get J.R back I see Linas' min. going to Balkan..
Maybe we could work a sign and trade for Emeka Okafor around Kleiza..perhaps get something like Felton in if we sweeten the pot..

chaugh970
07-28-2008, 09:33 PM
I hope LK isn't expendable, He's a key to our offensive threat off the bench and a knock down 3 pt shooter, just a beast imo. I hope him and JR are the future of this team.

Nugget153
07-28-2008, 09:42 PM
He is a beast..i'll give you that. But it seems to me that his playing time will be short this year unless we play a smaller lineup more of the time
(Which is actually possible)

I still think we need a PG and MAYBE another C to help our frontline..If Nene and Kenyon are healthy then maybe we don't need another C but a PG is a must for any team HOPING to contend in the west. All the big time contenders have one

Broncs4Life
07-28-2008, 09:43 PM
I like this deal because Balkman hustles and I remember a game, I think from last year where he was being physical on and just annoying the heck out of Melo. He had Melo frustrated. Balkman appears to be an energy guy who can get some rebounds, play some D and provide a spark off the bench. I'm happy to have him here. :clap:

jeff86
07-28-2008, 09:43 PM
yay a deal i like him and lee are the only knicks that i like

DJiC
07-28-2008, 10:45 PM
ok wait so does getting balkman make our starting lineup....ai/smith/melo/martin/nene? with backup carter or atkins/balkman/kleiza/somebody/hunter? seriously whats our lineup now that we have this deal? pretty confused...i like the trade just dont know how we do this

mgthompson
07-28-2008, 11:29 PM
I like Balkman, he reminds me of Reggie Evans. But this off-season is reminding me of last off-season. We make moves but do not contribute to things we NEED

After this move, we still need a PG, Center, Outside shooter, sign JR............

We are making moves, but they are lateral at best.

DenButsu
07-28-2008, 11:32 PM
ok wait so does getting balkman make our starting lineup....ai/smith/melo/martin/nene? with backup carter or atkins/balkman/kleiza/somebody/hunter? seriously whats our lineup now that we have this deal? pretty confused...i like the trade just dont know how we do this

Well, I don't think any lineup decisions will have been made yet. Those are questions that usually start getting resolved during training camp. But what I hope this move does is give us additional depth that will not only be on the bench but actually find its way onto the court. To get us once and for all past the dreaded 8-man rotation. I would say this, though, our depth chart is basically shaped like this now:

xx
xxx
xxxx
xx
xx

And two things that jump out about this to me are:

-We're really heavily loaded in the 2-3 area
-AI will still get 42 minutes

So I'd say as the roster currently stands the signs point to AI playing more time at the point and the Nuggets playing small ball. If JR gets 30 minutes (as he should) and AI gets 42 (as he will), that leaves only 24 remaining guard minutes. And if Melo plays 37, and K-Mart and Nene each play 30, and LK plays 25, that leaves only 22 minutes remaining in the 4,5 (with at least 11 minutes of Melo playing PF and LK playing PF and/or SG). And assuming Chucky gets 15 and AC picks up the PG scraps, that means Anderson and Hunter split those 4,5 minutes and Dahntay and Balkman stay on the bench?

The more I think about this, the more I think Kleiza's going to get traded. The FO is just concentrating too much energy on stacking up the small forward position right now. It's the only thing that makes sense.

Nugget153
07-28-2008, 11:56 PM
Yeah same here..the more and more you look at the roster the more you see the distinct possibility of Kleiza being traded..another move in the FO "chess game"

I just hope we swing for a REAL PG who can be a floor general and not the "shoot first" mantality of say A.I at point or even Atkins

THE MTL
07-29-2008, 12:05 AM
Have you guys ever tried starting AI and JR??

Nugget153
07-29-2008, 12:17 AM
Hmm. Good question and I THINK they've started together before...but I cannot remember for the life of me..
but see Idk how that would work out over a season..thats too many shooters on the floor and there is only 1 ball.
The Nuggets biggest weakness (besides defense) is their poor shot selection and un-wilingness to PASS the ball to the open man. A true PG would certainly aid in this weakness...(and it would help if that PG could play some Defense *cough FELTON *cough)

DenButsu
07-29-2008, 02:33 AM
Have you guys ever tried starting AI and JR??

It happened only once, believe it or not, a year and a half ago.

On January 12th, 2007 in an 86-90 loss to the Rockets (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=270112007), J.R. and AI were in the starting lineup together.

It never happened again.

C-Dub
07-29-2008, 09:32 AM
i bet that would go a little differently now though. AI does pass the ball more now that he's been here longer,eben if he does still hold on to it a lot, and Smith has grown better as a shooter. I think they'd be way better now.

C-Dub
07-29-2008, 09:34 AM
I hope Kleiza is gone, I wanted him gone before the trade deadline when everyone wanted Smith gone. I think he would be good bait for a good PG that we need, does anyone know who the FA PGs are that are left?

Crunchy12489
07-29-2008, 12:34 PM
I hope Kleiza is gone, I wanted him gone before the trade deadline when everyone wanted Smith gone. I think he would be good bait for a good PG that we need, does anyone know who the FA PGs are that are left?

Jason Williams and Earl Boykins are UFA as of right now.

C-Dub
07-29-2008, 12:35 PM
that sucks, i think we better trade haha

Isiah Thomas
07-29-2008, 12:35 PM
i hope this trade leads onto another one... but you guys got a steal... balkman is a huge fan favorite.... he has the game of a waterdowned Dennis Rodman... i met balkman... he is a cool guy... i think he can be one of the better defensive players in the league in a couple of years... he actually has good handles solid rebounder.. and he has a tattoo of hustle on one leg and harder on the other

in college he was called the tazmanian devil... you will love the guy.. and i am sad to see him gone

Crunchy12489
07-29-2008, 12:46 PM
that sucks, i think we better trade haha

You are insane!

Jason Williams is a great point guard and when we had Earl Boykins we had another 3pt as well as playmaking threat.

Sure he may be small, but he's quick to the basket.

Jason Williams may cost more, so I'd go with Little Earl.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
07-29-2008, 01:19 PM
I like Balkman, he reminds me of Reggie Evans. But this off-season is reminding me of last off-season. We make moves but do not contribute to things we NEED

After this move, we still need a PG, Center, Outside shooter, sign JR............

We are making moves, but they are lateral at best.

Outside shooters?
Im pretty sure Melo, AI, JR, Kleiza, and even KMart shoots the majority of his shots outside of the paint. Balkman may not be the exact player we need, but he brings to the table wat this teams needs. DEFENSE and HUSTLE. we have Nene, and if he's healthy we'll be fine.

your abosolutley right about the PG thing.

C-Dub
07-29-2008, 02:43 PM
oh, dont gt me wrong, they are good, but i thought we were going after better name PG's, and Boykins is awesome but he is too short to be with AI. haha, who would take Williams over Felton, Hinrich, or Livingston (when healthy)? That is what I meant

Crunchy12489
07-29-2008, 04:21 PM
oh, dont gt me wrong, they are good, but i thought we were going after better name PG's, and Boykins is awesome but he is too short to be with AI. haha, who would take Williams over Felton, Hinrich, or Livingston (when healthy)? That is what I meant

Well the thing is I would like to keep the squad we have right now, with the addition of a PG. Not a big name PG, because then we would have to throw some of our players in for a trade deal.

I don't want to trade anyone from this team as of now. I think we have a new and much more promising look.

C-Dub
07-29-2008, 04:24 PM
i think we do to, but we might as well give up kleiza now that we got balkman and a trade exception to get a decsent PG

DenButsu
07-29-2008, 07:02 PM
New York Knicks waive Taurean Green, Bobby Jones a day after trade

NEW YORK The New York Knicks waived Taurean Green and Bobby Jones on Tuesday, one day after acquiring the pair of seldom-used players in a trade with the Denver Nuggets.

The moves were expected as the Knicks continue to overhaul their roster under Donnie Walsh, the team's president of basketball operations, and new coach Mike D'Antoni. Green, a guard, and guard-forward Jones were acquired Monday for forward Renaldo Balkman, a 2010 second-round draft pick and cash.

Balkman became expendable when the Knicks drafted forward Danilo Gallinari with the No. 6 selection in the June draft.

The contracts for Green and Jones aren't guaranteed after Aug. 1.canadianpress (http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5i3nqK8Boo9lreS-iTfAuOk7_B3Hg)

avsman05
07-29-2008, 09:23 PM
wonder how long it will take to get jones back

C-Dub
07-29-2008, 09:30 PM
artest to rockets, no more artest trade haha

Game_Over
07-29-2008, 09:41 PM
Just read that, wow the west is just getting harder and harder and we haven't done much!!

avsman05
07-29-2008, 09:59 PM
Just read that, wow the west is just getting harder and harder and we haven't done much!!

completely agree they need to go get hinrich or felton.