PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Team USA Olympic Roster

69centers
07-27-2008, 09:40 PM
I was just curious why they have 6 guards, 5 forwards, and only 1 center? Aren't there a lot of big centers competing for other countries? It would seem to make sense to at least have 1 guy backing up Howard, with 5 guards and 5 forwards.

daleja424
07-27-2008, 09:44 PM
1) The Euro game is played outside in...not inside out...
2) There are a lot of Big guys but most of them play on the perimeter so one of of our forwards can guard them
3) We need a fast team that can shoot b/c teams pack it in in international ball.

...I wish we had Chandler instead of Kidd on the roster... but the philosophy is reasonable...

_Sn1P3r_
07-27-2008, 09:44 PM
In an interview Colangelo said they wanted a versatile team who could play different positions and can be interchanged for lineup reasons.

Edit: And also what daleja said. The big men aren't bangers and play outside.

lakers4sho
07-27-2008, 09:58 PM
Bosh can probably play C without affecting the game result. I mean, the U.S. would dominate anyways.

FOBolous
07-27-2008, 11:30 PM
i think Germany's front line can give us problems...they have Chris Kaman and Dirk Nowitzki.

lakers4sho
07-27-2008, 11:38 PM
i think Germany's front line can give us problems...they have Chris Kaman and Dirk Nowitzki.

Don't worry Kaman has ADD he won't know what going on, and Nowitzki, well he's probably the only one scoring for Germany. They barely made the Olympics.

NYKnickFanatic
07-27-2008, 11:42 PM
I love the Knicks!

lakers4sho
07-27-2008, 11:49 PM
I love the Knicks!

You high bro??

BillyHoyle35
07-28-2008, 12:10 AM
Don't worry Kaman has ADD he won't know what going on, and Nowitzki, well he's probably the only one scoring for Germany. They barely made the Olympics.

Kaman is a lot better than you give him credit for, plus Nowitski can tear them apart. That frontline could be dangerous, very dangerous. Especially in a one game situation. Upsets happen!

lakers4sho
07-28-2008, 12:20 AM
They have Nowitzki/Kaman, but the U.S. have a complete roster of superstars.

PurpleJesus
07-28-2008, 12:24 AM
When I was watching the Canada vs. USA game, the commentators explained that not having any 7 footers on our team should not be a problem. They said that it is not uncommon to have 6'8" guys play the 5. It's hard not to view international play through NBA eyes. USA will also use Wade at the 3 at times I heard, and Lebron at the 4. Not having to centers should not be a problem at all.

dre1990
07-28-2008, 12:31 AM
1) The Euro game is played outside in...not inside out...
2) There are a lot of Big guys but most of them play on the perimeter so one of of our forwards can guard them
3) We need a fast team that can shoot b/c teams pack it in in international ball.

...I wish we had Chandler instead of Kidd on the roster... but the philosophy is reasonable...

Agreed

Shock & Awe....
07-28-2008, 12:46 AM
Does anyone know why none of the big three are on the team?

PurpleJesus
07-28-2008, 12:53 AM
Does anyone know why none of the big three are on the team?

Pierce and Ray I dont know, but for KG, he already won a gold, i believe he was asked to be on the team, but but declined saying that he already had a go at it and would like some younger guys t take his place.

Shock & Awe....
07-28-2008, 12:57 AM
Pierce and Ray I dont know, but for KG, he already won a gold, i believe he was asked to be on the team, but but declined saying that he already had a go at it and would like some younger guys t take his place.

Thanks for the info

Hellcrooner
07-28-2008, 03:10 AM
mm Oberto/scola, isnt that a BANGING front court???? Kaman and DIrk

and Marc and Pau ...... there are quite a few good Front courts out there.

18colts29
07-28-2008, 05:14 AM
USA needs to worry about getting their heads split with them 3's more than they should worry about getting banged on in the middle. I trust Dwights defense in the middle more than I trust the guards and forwards guarding the arc.

phlp_bj
07-28-2008, 08:46 AM
we will be draining three's all day with michael redd, kobe, lebron and melo.

RapsFan4Life
07-28-2008, 09:13 AM
straight up international centers suck, like okur dirk, and most other euro centers, they are pretty much over sized small forwards, prefer to shoot threes then have offensive put backs, there is only one big name ... BIG name that USA should think will burn them, yao ... other then china big men can not touch USA, they could put Lebron at center play melo kobe paul and kidd and still KILL teams, international ball is not about athletisim or toughness its about shooting and ball handeling ...

phlp_bj
07-28-2008, 09:16 AM
with that said, look at this video of Ricky Rubio from Spain. they are saying that he could be a top pick next year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPSyScRcRRo

MoBASS
07-28-2008, 11:45 AM
If any of you watched us lose to Greece in 2006 you'd see that the reason we lost was our lack of size.

Greece pounded us down low and with the pick and roll.

Jay22Redd
07-28-2008, 12:17 PM
Some players dont like to play in other country's. Some even admitted that they were afraid of being attacked by terriost and thats understandable. Now, while I was watching us play Canada, I heard that Lebron could guard some of the other teams 4's and we want to push the ball to get their big men tired.