PDA

View Full Version : Why continually low ball offers to players!

Richinillinois
07-27-2008, 09:12 PM
TT is so cheap, Were like 20 million or 30 million inder the cap and he can't give Ryan Grant a fair deal....1.75 million in guaranteed money for a guy who carried are team....You have to spend so much of your cap!

wwfd1220
07-27-2008, 10:33 PM
I Love U

great insight to the topic of discussion. anyways this is typical tt. us fans wonder why no free agaents are coming into green bay ?? well, here is your answer. we have a g.m. that handles our finances like some zeus type figure. this is clearing up the whole andrew brandt resignation deal for sure in my book. see, brandt wasnt one of "tt's" guys so where did he go ? down the river thats where. this way he is treating current players does not stop there. it seems he may be doing some things in the front office as well.

XJW18
07-27-2008, 10:34 PM
ryan grant played awesome,
but
didnt carry the team on his back!
our D is killed it! and so did brett
but
i get what your saying.

robdizzle3
07-27-2008, 10:57 PM
I kind of agree with not giving Grant a deal because I really dont think he earned a new contract over 8 games.He was buried under running backs in New York and he comes to us later in the year as does good.I would fine Grant and since he snt making that much money he would report.I say wait until the season starts and see what he does before we give him a deal.But f we sign him its no big deal

hgtiger32
07-28-2008, 12:13 AM
this might also have to do with the owners or w.e. not signing the collective barganing agreement...where in 2010 or 2011 there could be an uncapped salary....so it's just extra precaution..incase it happens we won't be too deep in the ******* hole

brandonwarne52
07-28-2008, 02:19 AM
I'd sign him for this year with a moderate raise, or maybe even 2 years.

Anything longer is way too risky until after this season, however.

If he runs for over 1,200 yards, I'd consider a 4 year deal.

Urbs
07-28-2008, 03:06 AM
I kind of agree that Grant needs to prove a lil more than he has.. We run a zone scheme so technically, according to the broncos philosophy we should beable to plug any back who makes a cut and goes into the system and be alright. However this being said, I do think that Grant is a little special. Id like to keep him, but the reason I am posting is because i am really really starting to hate Ted Thompson, this guy seems to be the biggest tight-wad, control-freak in the history of pro football. Why would he push out two players who accounted for something like 75% of our offensive yards and TD's last year??? Just doesnt seem to make any sense to me.. BTW, for those of you who are going to say "they didnt produce that much offense last year" your wrong ESPN just ran a stat showing that those two were pretty much the offense last year, i say with the exception of Jennings, and a lil Driver.

PackAttack09
07-28-2008, 09:12 AM
It's not all TT its mainly russ ball, I dont think they should screw him either he seems like the kind of player we want to keep around who has earned at least top 15 rb money. but also this how contracts go sometimes, look at how quickly the devin hester situation turned itself around. to be honest ryan grant does only have 8 games behind him and also you always low ball the first time around if you know anything about business. It's not unethical as long as you can work with someone. I'm just upset it happened this late couldn't we have lowballed him a month ago so we could have negotiated by now?... but not being in camp won't hurt ryan grant as much, he didn't show up for the last one and look at what happened... so everyone chill.

Mziolkow
07-28-2008, 09:49 AM
WHile I do think that 1.75 Mil SB is kinda a joke(if thats even what was really offered, the agent might be trying to feed off of TT's bad press by exagerating), I also see where the packers are coming from. He is a player that sat for 2 years and then played 8 great games. Thats only half a season. Samkon Gado had a few good games, should we have given him a huge contract?

On top of this, he is an exclusive Rights FA, meaning he has NO leverage. He can only sign for the minimum, except the extension, or sit out til week ten, all the while making no money. Why would the team give a ton of money to an unproven player that can do nothing but sign?

I think they should give hime maybe 5 mil guaranteed over a few less years and make sure to put some incentive based pay in it, incase he is the real deal. TT is just being smart with his money and options(unlike in the favre case), it just seems like hes being unreasonable because of all the other crap thats going on creating a bias against him.

P.S. to the poster who said we should fine him, We Can't! He is not under contract so he does not have to be at camp. Its no different than when a rookie holds out and he cant be fined

PackAttack09
07-28-2008, 10:26 AM
i agree that he is somewhat unproven and I can't tell you what a player deserves because I really haven't done much research as to what players deserve what salary. All I know is that if we were to run into a problem like this it should have been a long time ago. I agree with TT's philosophy (drafting, free agency, etc.) but the GB exec's really dropped the ball on this one (in terms of the timing of everything) yeah they can argue about who deserves what and I wont chime in cuz frankly I'm just a fan who doesn't know squat (apparently I'm the only one on this site who will admit that). But I do know that the day before training camp is not the day for negotiations to go sour.

Martz
07-28-2008, 11:25 AM
I say sign him to a quick 1 year contract just to get him into camp right now. This is not good for him to not be there. This will effect how he plays this year. Work on a better deal as teh year goes on but do what you have to to get him in camp.

hawkeye
07-28-2008, 12:09 PM
Wake up fellas. No way he signs for one or 2 years. He wants a multi-year deal and who can blame him. On the flipside, there is no way he will be remotely as effective as he was a year ago. Pretty tough to run with the line stacked against a "rookie" qb. Get ready for a long holdout. I'm sooo excited to see Rodgers and Jackson. :rolleyes:

brandonwarne52
07-28-2008, 01:20 PM
You know the more I think about it, the more I think he should get paid. Plenty of rookies who haven't proven anything at all get quite a bit more than he does.

Ryan Diesel
07-28-2008, 01:45 PM
We sure as hell can't just plug Deshawn Wynn in and expect the same success as Grant had.

hawkeye
07-28-2008, 02:39 PM
We sure as hell can't just plug Deshawn Wynn in and expect the same success as Grant had.

Sure we can. Just ask Ted. If he thinks it can work at QB, you better know he thinks it will work at RB.

StickyGreenFan
07-28-2008, 03:04 PM
like the homies on sirius said, sign him to a 1 year quik contract to get him paid fairly, then restructure after this year long term. he could actually work this to his advantage. if he tears it up again this year, he can get a huge long term contract or sign somewhere else for bank. all they askin him to do is prove himself 1 more year. at first i was mad, but i see gb's point...

Ryan Diesel
07-28-2008, 03:11 PM
Sure we can. Just ask Ted. If he thinks it can work at QB, you better know he thinks it will work at RB.

ha ha yeah, but we already seen last year that doesn't work, and we very well might be finding out this year that it doesn't work at QB either.

darwin31
07-28-2008, 04:29 PM
Its pretty funny how if someone questions Grants ability, everyone is so quick to stick up for him, calling him a "beast" who runs up and down the field all day. Someone who really helped make the season GB had last year. Now when contract time comes up, its "oh he only played 8 games so we need to make sure its no fluke".

In 8 games you can get a really good idea for the type of player you got and how he will fit in to your game plan. You can see his strengths and weaknesses and judge him from that (remember there are a lot of practices in those 8 weeks).

I would like to think that Thompson has looked at this and come to the conclusion that while Grant did great during that 8 game span, he is not "that guy" who can do it when defenses focus on him. This would be the reason for the low offer. If he is "that guy" then it would be smart to sign him to a long term deal now while you can do it fairly cheap. If he produces after this year, the price tag will only sky rocket.

Rtardz
07-28-2008, 05:05 PM
Id give him a 4 year 20 million dollar deal with 5 or 6 guaranteed. NFL contracts are basically one year deals anyways. And presummably Favre being gone that frees up what 12 mil?

Richinillinois
07-28-2008, 05:18 PM
My gripe is we just gave Popinga 3 million in guaranteed money and he is a part time player...Grant is in on almost every offensive play and RB's take a beating..He should atleast get a 3 year deal with around 5 million signing bonus...How much do you think McFadden received and he hasn't played one game..

BrewCityBuck
07-29-2008, 12:30 PM
Let's face it, the Green Bay Packers as an organization doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of money. Ted Thompson realize's this, the team keeps our cap number as low as possible so we can make more profit. Some of you guys here are clueless.

Ryan Grant will get his extension in the next month, it will all be worked out.

hughest4
07-29-2008, 03:06 PM
Let's face it, the Green Bay Packers as an organization doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of money. Ted Thompson realize's this, the team keeps our cap number as low as possible so we can make more profit. Some of you guys here are clueless.

Ryan Grant will get his extension in the next month, it will all be worked out.

I understand the whole salary cap thing you are talking about, but we have to get Grant signed as soon as possible. With a new starting QB we are going to have to rely more heavily on the run, so we need Grant in camp as soon as possible...

BrewCityBuck
07-29-2008, 03:20 PM
I understand the whole salary cap thing you are talking about, but we have to get Grant signed as soon as possible. With a new starting QB we are going to have to rely more heavily on the run, so we need Grant in camp as soon as possible...

That doesn't mean we have to cave into his demands, you start caving into demands and you open up a can of worms. Would I like Grant resigned and in camp? Yes. But the truth is, he's under contract and it's up to us to resign him. He's not going to sit out all year.

Grant plays RB, so it's not that big of a deal if he misses camp compared to a guy at a more critical position. Last year he was buried on the depth chart and didn't play early anyway.

He will most likely be signed, these things always end up fixing themselves. Either way, we have the upperhand.

If we gave Ryan Grant a $20 million/4 year deal, and he dissapointed, those same people harking for Thompson to make the deal would be critical of him for giving a contract to a one year player....I've seen it on this board so often.

socalpkrbkr
07-29-2008, 03:23 PM
Maybe its time for an accountability thread:eyebrow:

hughest4
07-29-2008, 03:39 PM
That doesn't mean we have to cave into his demands, you start caving into demands and you open up a can of worms. Would I like Grant resigned and in camp? Yes. But the truth is, he's under contract and it's up to us to resign him. He's not going to sit out all year.

Grant plays RB, so it's not that big of a deal if he misses camp compared to a guy at a more critical position. Last year he was buried on the depth chart and didn't play early anyway.

He will most likely be signed, these things always end up fixing themselves. Either way, we have the upperhand.

If we gave Ryan Grant a $20 million/4 year deal, and he dissapointed, those same people harking for Thompson to make the deal would be critical of him for giving a contract to a one year player....I've seen it on this board so often.

There is really no way to make everyone happy when it comes to sports. I honestly wouldn't mind a 20mil/4 year deal with like 4 or 5 mil guaranteed. If he ends up not performing well after the first year or two then we could always cut him and not have to pay the rest of his contract.

I understand that TT doesn't have to give him a deal, but i think he should