PDA

View Full Version : Philly The Likeliest Place For Manny?

phlp_bj
07-27-2008, 03:55 PM
New York Post - The Red Sox plan to investigate potential deals for Manny Ramirez between now and the July 31 trade deadline, sources said Saturday night.

The Mets New York Mets already have checked in on Ramirez, with whom GM Omar Minaya is infatuated. However, sources said the Mets' No. 1 nemesis, the Phillies, have the best chance to trade for Ramirez because Philadelphia manager Charlie Manuel has perhaps the strongest relationship with him of anyone in the majors.

The Red Sox are more likely to retain Ramirez and then not pick up his $20 million 2009 option.

Arizona is known to have some interest, as well, but officials from other teams say the Diamondbacks seem more committed to pursuing the potentially available Braves first baseman Mark Teixeira than anyone else.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07272008/sports/yankees/moving_mann__121756.htm

GHOSTSNIPER
07-27-2008, 04:07 PM
Not gonna happen

phillyphan4ever
07-27-2008, 04:07 PM
sweeeeeet :D

Sixersfan41
07-27-2008, 04:20 PM
it would be interesting but i just don't see it happening

jscotty8
07-27-2008, 04:49 PM
How many times have we seen this with Manny... Boston won't trade him

Sick Of It All
07-27-2008, 06:06 PM
Go for it Philly, but they should use their chips to get a starter more than anything imo.

SportsFan1988
07-27-2008, 06:38 PM
They have enough hitting, no? If anything I think they could use another arm in the rotation, maybe a Burnett or Jeff Francis?

GrkGawdofWalkz
07-27-2008, 06:40 PM
Philly has nothing in that crap of a farm system. Unless, I'm blind. We already have three better younger pitchers than Carlos Carrasco.

JHG722
07-27-2008, 06:45 PM
Philly has nothing in that crap of a farm system. Unless, I'm blind. We already have three better younger pitchers than Carlos Carrasco.

Marson.

GrkGawdofWalkz
07-27-2008, 06:53 PM
Pfft, a back up catcher for a bona fide Hall of famer. Regardless of what his mental "Manny being Manny" moments he's still an amazing hitter.

PhillyUD26
07-27-2008, 07:00 PM
Pfft, a back up catcher for a bona fide Hall of famer. Regardless of what his mental "Manny being Manny" moments he's still an amazing hitter.

He's not a backup catcher, he's one of the top catching prospects in the league. And when the Red Sox don't even want Manny on the team, and with his contract, its gonna be hard for you guys to get anything of "fair" value for him anyways. Its hilarious in the Red Sox forum where people think they are gonna get Matt Kemp, Wainwright, Colby Rasmus, Soto, etc for Manny. IF Manny gets traded, its not going to be for a lot, especially when they have put him on waivers before, and NOBODY picked him up.

chinese_man_77
07-27-2008, 08:58 PM
The Red Sox wont trade Manny. They are in a division race, and if they get rid of a bat like that, Theres no way they make the playoffs. They would be crazy to trade him. Manny will stay in Boston and and then become a free agent at the end of the season.

Tragedy
07-27-2008, 08:59 PM
Obviously whoever wrote this is an idiot.

The Red Sox are more likely to retain Ramirez and then not pick up his $20 million 2009 option.
Yeah, right. :eyebrow:

Ph1lly Diehard
07-27-2008, 09:08 PM
Hell, I wouldn't mind 1 bit.

I doubt it happens though.

scottythegreat1
07-27-2008, 09:58 PM
If anyone actually wants him, it will most likely be the NL East or the NL West. I doubt he will be traded to the AL East, but it is possible he could go anywhere, odds are it will be a contender.

I doubt he will go anywhere, especially with the Red Sox not too far away from the AL East division title, especially with Tampa doing as well as they are, and with the Yankees exploding (as usual at this time of the year). If the Red Sox trade him, it better be for another slugger, or an ace pitcher.

Either scenario is possible, lets just see what happens.

PhillyUD26
07-27-2008, 11:14 PM
The guy is about to put up .300 30 100 and u think that we couldn't get anything good. They put him on waviers about 5 years ago when 20 million with that type of long term contract could give GMs a stroke.

The Sox will probably pay sum of the money from Ramirez contract and 20 million is actually cheaper than what he might get nowadays on the FA market. If we put him on waivers now there is no doubt in my mind that at least 5 teams would try and pick him up.

You can keep Pat Burrell and Victorino cuz what ur teams offering isn't worth trading Ramirez. Phillies fans blow. Are you ever gonna stop booing JD Drew. I don't think so because u guys haven't won in a REAL sport in so long. Hockey isn't a sport that's why it doesn't matter.

Eagles beat by Patriots, Phillies choke in the playoffs, 76ers suck balls

Wow way to be mature and attack a whole fan base because they are rumored to be the frontrunners in picking him up. Grow up dude and stick to the topic.

You have to be one of those guys who is thinking that your gonna get Kemp or Wainwright for Manny. There is a reason why the probability that Manny won't be trade is close to zero...thats because no team in their right mind is going to give up a big piece of their future for him. Sure he is a great hitter, but its becoming more and more apparent that Boston won't be picking up his option next year. Now what would be the point of trading a future All-Star for a 36 year old, with a 20 million dollar contract, that has some very apparent character issues?

ChaseHamels
07-27-2008, 11:38 PM
Everytime Boston fans see the slightest possibility of something negative happening to one of the New England teams they come out and start bashing other sports cities. So sick of it. :mad:

awesomeovie8
07-27-2008, 11:44 PM
ccspence8 its eagles cheated by pats*

Philly4life84
07-27-2008, 11:46 PM

Since when do future backup catchers make the U.S. Olympic team.

SJ5382
07-27-2008, 11:56 PM
ManRam could hit 100 HR's in CBLLP.

ruslan898
07-28-2008, 12:08 AM
and where would they play him???RF?

PhillyUD26
07-28-2008, 12:08 AM
ManRam could hit 100 HR's in CBLLP.

Actually I would call Fenway a better hitters park then CBP

Honestly people call CBP a bandbox all the time...how do you explain how its right in the middle of the park rankings??

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor

Seamhead
07-28-2008, 12:17 AM

Honestly people call CBP a bandbox all the time...how do you explain how its right in the middle of the park rankings??

The ESPN park factors aren't very good (Even though I have to use them for AwOBA since they're in runs and easy to use for that). Baseball-reference has better park factors, and they have CBP as 105 multi-year and 104 for this year (compared to Coors who is at 108 multi-year and 109 for this year).

SJ5382
07-28-2008, 12:19 AM

How can you explain it being 1st in '07, 6th in '06, 2nd in '05, and 5th in '04?

I would call this ONE off season a fluke.

hgtiger32
07-28-2008, 12:27 AM
i think this trade of the following would work out good for both teams

Red Sox Get: Matt Holliday and Brian Fuentes
Rockie Get: Manny Rameriaz and bullpen arm or minor league prospect

deal works out good for both sides....Red Sox sign Matt Holliday long term and the Rockies get Manny to help them push for the playoffs...and at the end of the year they let manny walk and collect two draft picks for him

PhillyUD26
07-28-2008, 12:28 AM
How can you explain it being 1st in '07, 6th in '06, 2nd in '05, and 5th in '04?

I would call this ONE off season a fluke.

Did you just make that up? Fenway was first in '07, CBP 14th...CBP was 8th in '06...and 2nd in '05 (before they took out like 5 rows in LF)

Either way, I still think that Fenway is a more right handed batter friendly park than CBP is.

PhillyUD26
07-28-2008, 12:30 AM
i think this trade of the following would work out good for both teams

Red Sox Get: Matt Holliday and Brian Fuentes
Rockie Get: Manny Rameriaz and bullpen arm or minor league prospect

deal works out good for both sides....Red Sox sign Matt Holliday long term and the Rockies get Manny to help them push for the playoffs...and at the end of the year they let manny walk and collect two draft picks for him

Why would the Rockies do that, when their sole reasoning in trading Holliday is to shed payroll and pick up prospects?? They'd be giving up a great asset in Fuentes, and would be getting an older, more stubborn, less fan friendly OFer. The only way I can see the Red Sox getting Holliday is if there is a 3-way trade.

Shock & Awe....
07-28-2008, 12:36 AM
Everytime Boston fans see the slightest possibility of something negative happening to one of the New England teams they come out and start bashing other sports cities. So sick of it. :mad:

Hey bro,
Can we try to not lump all Boston fans in with some of the idiots that post in these forums? Thanks...

gcoll
07-28-2008, 12:39 AM
Did you just make that up? Fenway was first in '07, CBP 14th...CBP was 8th in '06...and 2nd in '05 (before they took out like 5 rows in LF)

Either way, I still think that Fenway is a more right handed batter friendly park than CBP is.

Eh. Fenway is more of a doubles park.

With that short right porch in Philly. Manny could really take advantage of that.

The only way I can see the Red Sox getting Holliday is if there is a 3-way trade.
That's very true.

But I doubt anything happens. It never does. Especially when you can't really get fair value for Manny, and are better off just going for this year. Plus, the Sox are gonna pick up the option.

ThatTomGuy
07-28-2008, 12:40 AM
Hmmm, I can't say I'd be thrilled, only because the Phillies outfielders are starting to come around.

Victorino has been on fire, Pat Burrell has been consistently good all year, Jayson Werth is a reliable and very good right fielder, and even Geoff Jenkins is starting to come around and get hits.

The only place where Manny slightly fits (and actually, it would be a better fit if this guy wasn't the 5th outfielder), is in the spot of So Taguchi. Obviously, it would be a huge upgrade, but the starting Outfielders are already crowded as is. Someone like Kenny Lofton would be a better fit in the outfield instead of Taguchi.

Allabouthephils
07-28-2008, 12:50 AM
Hmmm, I can't say I'd be thrilled, only because the Phillies outfielders are starting to come around.

Victorino has been on fire, Pat Burrell has been consistently good all year, Jayson Werth is a reliable and very good right fielder, and even Geoff Jenkins is starting to come around and get hits.

The only place where Manny slightly fits (and actually, it would be a better fit if this guy wasn't the 5th outfielder), is in the spot of So Taguchi. Obviously, it would be a huge upgrade, but the starting Outfielders are already crowded as is. Someone like Kenny Lofton would be a better fit in the outfield instead of Taguchi.

IF you can trade for ManRam you do it without blinking... 20MM is a bargain for a one year deal and 2 option years for him... There might be no one hitter in baseball i'd rather have than Manny at this point in the middle of my lineup during the postseason... During the regular season, Pujols and Rodriguez.... That's it... I don't know what Boston would want but you give it to them... If i'm the Phillies i'd find a spot for Manny in the outfield... Either put Burrell in right or Manny in right... Whatever makes Manny happy... ;)

hgtiger32
07-28-2008, 12:55 AM
whoever said that geoff jenkins is coming on has got to be crazy...this guy went through the same thing with the brewers...have a great two week performance and then not fade away...but tumble all the way down

Allabouthephils
07-28-2008, 12:59 AM
whoever said that geoff jenkins is coming on has got to be crazy...this guy went through the same thing with the brewers...have a great two week performance and then not fade away...but tumble all the way down

I know why they signed Jenkins, he just isn't doing it... He is supposed to murder lefties and he can't do anything but swing for the fences... He thinks he supposed to hit a 17 run homer every single time up and he's killing the bottom half of the order... He strikes out a ton.... He looks bad doing it... He needs to learn how to cut back a little, it's just too bad he has 7MM reasons a year why he won't listen to anyone....

ThatTomGuy
07-28-2008, 01:02 AM

Well, we'll see. Since right before the All-Star break his plate discipline has been different, but he's been getting hits (unfortunately on nights when no one else is; basically the only reason I can recall it).

But also, his defense is superior to Taguchi's (who would have guessed that), so I'll take him as our fourth outfielder. I didn't say he was doing great, but he's certainly be doing better. He isn't the weakest link here.

HipSlappyJoe
07-28-2008, 01:14 AM
If the phils dont go after manny, they are absolute fools. Their hitting is very inconsistent, and manny will stabilize the lineup with his ability to take pitches and drivethe ball the opposite way.

Allabouthephils
07-28-2008, 01:18 AM
If the phils dont go after manny, they are absolute fools. Their hitting is very inconsistent, and manny will stabilize the lineup with his ability to take pitches and drivethe ball the opposite way.

I don't know... I think they'll try to get Boston to pay some of his salary... It will be a hangup and that will be that...

I can't see the Phils adding 20MM to their payroll unless they dump Eaton and Jenkins.... They aren't dumping Eaton and Jenkins on the Red Sox...

PhillyPride13
07-28-2008, 03:15 PM
i hope it happens, but once again if philly is mentioned in any BIG name player every philly fan goes ga ga over it

i personally love manny, plays the game to have fun...alot of players lost that in the years.