PDA

View Full Version : Well Josh Smith is being shopped for a sign and trade

Crzycjunx76
07-27-2008, 03:41 PM
Im personally not very high on Josh, I dont belive is really what we need or would be worth even half of what we would have to pay him and give up to the Hawks to get him. It got me thinking though are there any other restricted freeagents out there that are still unsigned and may be decent trade targets... the only I came up with was Luol Deng. Deng may very well be out of our range when it comes to tradeable peices seeing as about all we could offer the Bulls is Landry, picks, possibly Battier, and a bunch of young players with expiring contracts. Of course we have some Bulls fans who have been hanging out lately I was wondering if the Bulls are as dedicated as the media thinks they are to freeing cap space for two seasons from now and the supposed monster Free Agent class topped by Lebron? That particular question made me wonder if Hinrich would be avalable because of his contract and the fact that you picked Rose who may or may not be better and at the very least costs less.

Young_Josh
07-27-2008, 04:42 PM
Dang would be nice

Rockets Fanatic
07-27-2008, 07:30 PM
Hawks Get:
Carl Landry (MLE)
Bobby Jackson
Luther Head
Chuck Hayes
2009 1st Round Pick
2009 2nd Round Pick (MEM)

Rockets Get:
Josh Smith (11 mil)
Zaza Pachulia
2009 2nd Round Pick

The83rdWonder
07-27-2008, 08:21 PM
Hawks Get:
Carl Landry (MLE)
Bobby Jackson
Luther Head
Chuck Hayes
2009 1st Round Pick
2009 2nd Round Pick (MEM)

Rockets Get:
Josh Smith (11 mil)
Zaza Pachulia
2009 2nd Round Pick

You can't sign and trade Landry, and Atlanta hangs up the phone and calls a hit.

Crzycjunx76
07-27-2008, 08:36 PM
Is there a rule that would prohibit us from signing and trading a restricted free agent? and if so why can the Hawks do it with Smith and why could the bulls do it with Deng?

Also while a trade for Josh Smith might make us slightly better on the bench I do not really belive his style of play is condusive to the Rockets winning more games... I would much rather have a player like Deng.

The good news is it will become easier to sign and trade for restricted free agents in the new era. If a team knows that they stand to loose a player with NO compensation to a European team that will pay that player more money then they may be willing to trade the player for whatever value that they can get (picks/expiring contracts/ players at the same position/ect) so sign and trades for young restricted freeagents could prove to be a place that a team can get a sinifigant upgrade in tallent.

I think many of these players will eventually return to the NBA for the chance to win an NBA title but I cannot fault them for going to a competitive league that is improving in tallent level and will pay them more than they would be making in the states.

TMAC94
07-27-2008, 09:14 PM
Id give them anything outisde of tmac, yao and scola.

Id do something like

Battier
Jackson
Head
2009 2nd Rounder
2009 Memphis 2nd rounder

for

Josh Smith ( S&T 8.5 mil )
Marvin Williams
2nd rounder 2010

yankees34
07-27-2008, 10:34 PM
Id give them anything outisde of tmac, yao and scola.

Id do something like

Battier
Jackson
Head
2009 2nd Rounder
2009 Memphis 2nd rounder

for

Josh Smith ( S&T 8.5 mil )
Marvin Williams
2nd rounder 2010

that package isnt even enough to get josh smith alone so what makes u think we could also get marvin williams

TMAC94
07-28-2008, 01:41 AM
that package isnt even enough to get josh smith alone so what makes u think we could also get marvin williams

then we could add landry and brooks.

Crzycjunx76
07-28-2008, 01:47 AM
First of all Josh Smith isint that good... and I dont think his poor ball handling (court vision and passing) combined with his inconsistant jumpshot would fit well in our offense... hes and exciting athlete but.. meh... that dosent win you championships. No my origional point was that the Hawks or anyone looking to sign and trade a restricted free agent from here on out is NOT going to get close to value for their player. They are going to have to take the best offer they can get regaurdless of how it stacks up with the tallent they are giving up simply because they will loose the player with no compensation to a Euro team if they dont... and something is better than nothing.

And to clarify ... Josh Smith could help our team off the bench but I do not think he is better than Battier or Tmac.

TMAC94
07-28-2008, 02:07 AM
^^ then why make a theard?

{}
07-28-2008, 02:24 AM
The Rockets have done a good job of staying away from big name obsession and bad contracts.

Josh Smith is a good player but he'd want more than 8m per season. Leave it to a team like the Knicks to swoop in without any rhyme nor reason and offer Smith a max contract.

Crzycjunx76
07-28-2008, 03:09 AM
I made a thread because while if Josh Smith could be had at the right price he would make a great addition and that is a possibility, the greater implication of this situation is that RFA's everywhere may become a possibility to gain good/great players at less than market value return. L. Deng would be my personal preference but that even is beyond the point but perhaps the Bulls in an effort to unload contracts in hopes of snagging Lebron in two years would be willing to deal. Honestly after thinking it over a bit more Josh Smith may not be a bad starter if we could just get him to work on a few things, he has a high shot percentage because of dunks and layups but we would need him to shoot a better percentage in jumpshots and his turnover rate is poor so his passing would have to improve in our offense that is highly dependant on efficent ball movement.

Jpripper88
07-28-2008, 03:18 AM
I think Josh Smith would be an upgrade over Battier and certainly would be as the team moves into the future past next year. However, if the Rockets are not trading Yao, Tmac or Scola there isn't a lot of value on the roster.

JordansBulls
07-28-2008, 07:47 AM
None of those packages are good enough to get Josh Smith. You have to add Scola and Battier to the deal for it to happen.

alexander_37
07-28-2008, 04:17 PM
i would do anything short of anything to do with tmac or yao to get smith hes a FREAK