PDA

View Full Version : Rodney takes over as closer

DetTigers
07-27-2008, 02:28 PM
Leyland made the move prior to Sunday's game that Rodney will be taking over the closing duties for the time being......its unclear what Jones will do possibly bat boy/water boy duties ha

Sheffies Chef
07-27-2008, 03:14 PM
official story

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080727&content_id=3206371&vkey=news_det&fext=.jsp&c_id=det

JackB
07-27-2008, 09:29 PM
God help us. I say lets try Miner as the closer. Zumaya can't close. Jones can't close Rodney can't close. This is pretty much the line we will get for most save chances from Rodney
1.2 innings 42 pitches 2 bb 1 hit and 3 Ks
42 pitches in 1.2 innings? What good is a 95-97 mph fast ball if you can't locate it? Guess you could ask Zumaya the same question. Damn are we in trouble.

Bondomania
07-27-2008, 10:01 PM
it really pisses me off when people say zumaya and rodney cannot close.. we don't really know, neither have been a full time closer so neither has had time to get comfortable in that role.. as far as miner to be a closer.. that is ******** idea, i don't know if you saw his start today.. we need him in the rotation if we don't make a move for a starter

Sheffies Chef
07-27-2008, 10:21 PM
how about nate as the closer??? lol, he'd be better than as a starter, he always gets through the linup once alright, but second time he gets rocked.

or go after brian fuentes. i've been endorsing that deal for about the past year when we were interested in him.

or just ride the rods until he PROVES he cannot close consistently. say what you want, but he still got the job done. and as jim price said, he was put into a very tight situation.

cubsfan9124
07-27-2008, 11:22 PM
Well he looked damn good today striking out the side.

JackB
07-28-2008, 12:38 AM
Rodney did close a couple of years ago for a while. And I was kidding when I said Miner as the closer. Hell I would settle for just about anybody. As far as Zumaya and Rodney closing. Striking out the side is awesome. But needing 42 pitches and walking 2 along with a hit isn't exactly going to get it done. Zumaya has struke out 15 but has also walked 13. Is that what a closer does? Again a 95-100 mph fast ball is meaning less if you can't control it. And have a pitch or two to go with it.
Maybe Nate Robertson could close. Several lefties have been pretty sucessful at it. The majority of hitter are right handed but he would hopefully only have to face 3-4 hitters.
I'm open to anybody at this point. We hae lost several games late because of the bullpen. Time is running out. We need to protect those leads.
Trust me Bondo. I'm on your side. I want to the Tigers win as much or more then you do. I didn't just become a Tigerfan. Ths has been a love for almost 50 years. Since 1959 And I have never been to Detroit other then the airport.

Dalionking
07-28-2008, 02:15 AM
this is why we need to trade for street. he is available and could step in and instantly take over our closer position and solidfy it

stanpapi
07-28-2008, 09:11 AM
I don't know what this solves, what with Zumaya injured and Rodney struggling. Best I figure you can do is closer by committee. And I wouldn't sell the farm to get Street. Main thing is that Jones is not the guy anymore. Same time, that's another $8-million wasted.

chetlemon
07-28-2008, 09:39 AM
Actually made it to the game yesterday all the way from the middle of Indiana. Traffic on 94 sucked..................anyhow..........Rodney's stuff did look electric when he was on. Hitters looked like they were guessing. If, and it's a big if, Rodney can throw strikes, his change in speeds can really mess guys up. I was just praying for him to throw a strike yesterday. If he can get ahead, he will be a decent closer, if not, we are in for a lot of walks and frusturation at the end of the game. I am ready for anything but Jonesy though.

Bondomania
07-28-2008, 11:08 AM
eh, the 40 pitch thing doesn't bother me, granite he might not be available tonight.. however, he was getting ahead early in counts, which was HUGE, he was trying to get aggressive hitters to chase some pitches and they laid off.. now, if he was consistantly working behind in counts then i would have a problem with it.. also keep in mind he did work 1 2/3 innings, so that is another factor in this, and when i was listening to the broadcast on the radio, they mentioned rodney takes the longest out of all the relievers to get ready, so maybe he had a little trouble getting locked in because he didn't go through his ritual

JackB
07-28-2008, 01:33 PM
Its taken Rodney over two years to get into his ritual.Yes he was hurt. Jones sucks but at least he threw strikes. Most of the time.He put the ball in play.Unfortunely the balls fell in. It wasn't really a waste of 8 million. He got us through most of the season. He got us some saves. Funny how we went through this with him a few years ago. He leaves . Becomes a dominate closer( Well better then what he was in Detroit )We get him back and its come full circle. Here we go again.
I don't think Street is the answer. Maybe short term.But that would be very costly . He has had his injury issues . I hate to say it but I think the idea of C by C is the way to go until the end of th season. See if somebody steps up. Maybe Rodney can find is grove. Then throw the money at FRod. He's proven and still very young.If we don't somebody will. We have spent worse money and almost did with Gonzo.

stanpapi
07-28-2008, 02:11 PM
Whoa -- it's a whole lot of money for a guy you have to give up on before August. I mean, you spend the money to fill a hole, not create one. And well, they're not exactly giving away good closers before the deadline, because, like every deadline, a lot of people want good closers. One hand, I'm glad they've finally admitted their mistake. Other, we've known Jones was a mistake for years.

JackB
07-28-2008, 02:28 PM
My guess is Jones in back as the closer after a couple more games of Rodney.
If they don't start to win a few games by a few more runs so hey don't have to depend on the bullpen to hang onto the lead the money will have been wasted anyway.Playing games so close and knowing the bullpen totally sucks will be their downfall anyway. It has been already.And will only two months left in the regular season.As far as the money. Its really what 2.5 million they will have wasted on Jones if he doesn't reclaim the job . A drop in the bucket .

bomber0104
07-28-2008, 02:44 PM
How about Ryan people? he is pretty much available

Bondomania
07-28-2008, 04:15 PM
i don't get why you are so negative towards Rodney.. if we lose a few more games then definitly Jones will not be the closer.. most likely they will start looking towards the future, not putting old players back in.. if we are out of it by august then you will see Dolsi, Zumaya, Fien, Cruceta and others in that role to see how they fair in that role.. As long as Rodney works ahead of people and is controlling his fastball, then he shouldn't have a problem as a closer... he might have thrown a lot of pitches.. however, i believe every batter started off 0-2, he tried to nibble away at the corners.. missed, and they didn't chase good pitches plain and simple..

JackB
07-28-2008, 05:11 PM
Bingo You nailed it !!! They didn't chase. If you get ahead of somebody 0-2 and loose them at least twice in 1.2 innings. Something isn't working. 0-2 you try to make him chase one maybe two. But at 2-2 you got to go get him. Rodney hasn't done anything for two years. maybe he was overhyped in 2006 or whenever it was. Maybe Zumaya was too.I'm not trying to be negetive on him or anybody. But facts are facts. We can't live on what he used to do. We need results now. And so far he or Zumaya haven't shown anything to get excited about. Of course I want him or whomever takes over to do well. Thats my team.But so far it ain't looking good. I hope the next time Rodney goes out there to close the door he doesn't screw around. I hope he goes right after every hitter and slams the door shut. Thats what I hope for.

Bondomania
07-28-2008, 07:13 PM
that isn't even true.. he struck out the side in the ninth.. and then really he pitched around quentin and dye.. which who wouldn't with how hot they have been recently... then Thome blooped one in the other way... then in the ninth once he got to 2-2 he went after them, and once the count waas 3-2 he ended up finishing them off.. not one runner reached in the ninth..

i don't know how you can say they were over hyped in 2006, he only had a 3.52 ERA with 71.2 IP to go with 65 k's and 34 bb's.. also i don't know what you are saying as far as nothing to get excited about, Rodney's fastball is more electric than ever, reaching 99 at times, and that makes his changeup that much better, and now he is working in a slider to go with it.. he will be alright

then all Zumaya did in 2006 was put up a 1.94 ERA with 97 k's to 42 bb's in 83.1 IP..

so to say that they were over hyped is wrong.. they went out and earned the hype they got in 2006... last year both were dinged up, and then again in the beginning of the season they were as well, but now we are seeing a completely heatlhy Rodney and what he can do when healthy.. upper 90's heat with a devastating change up

smarkow
07-28-2008, 07:52 PM
well, jones is back as closer tonight (monday) b/c rodney is unavailable after needing 42 pitches to get through the 8th and 9th inning, which he made very interesting.
I have confidence in him. he can't be worse than Jones

stanpapi
07-28-2008, 10:01 PM
Guys, guys. Please, Rodney is probably not the solution, and you have to know that. He's a shot in the dark.

Yes, he was quasi-great in 2006, no question, but he has not been healthy or consistent for two years. Can he reclaim his 2006 form? Perhaps, but you can't bank on that. Like, I'm not saying the guy can't rise up and do it. You have to allow for the possibility that someone can rise up and be better. Like the day Boy George recorded "Do You Really Want to Hurt Me?" Just that Rodney hasn't really been able to do it for two years. He has health issues. He's always had control issues, and now those are more pronounced on account of the health.

Could he wear his hat straight and become a bonafide closer? Yes, there is a chance of that, a slight chance that he will change and get better. But c'mon, you can't bank on Rodney, and you know it. Is it worth a try? Heck, yeah. I'm so tired of Jones I can't even watch his act anymore. But Rodney is far from money in the bank as either a closer or set-up man. Even in 2006, he blew up a fair bit. And he certainly can't field his position any better than Jones. I mean, we can't even rest assured that Rodney is over his Chuck Knoblauch disease in terms of catching a ball and throwing to first. And dammit, being a bad fielding pitcher puts you in a hole early. That's one of the things I respect Kenny for so much. He fields his position well and it shows.

Assuming Zumaya's injury is very minor, I'd like to see him in there part-time (this assumes that hurting himself has made him more intelligent, but.... And to the guy who has the waste of Jones money down to $2.5 million, you've obviously got more dollars than sense. Employing Jones over the years cost just too damn much when you consider that we knew... We all knew that it was going to end like this....Or Worse... It really could have been worse. And if he's reinstated, well, he still might make a prophet out of One Nut Kruk.

smarkow
07-29-2008, 10:14 AM
Like the day Boy George recorded "Do You Really Want to Hurt Me?"

Like the day Boy George recorded "Do You Really Want to Hurt Me?"
Could he wear his hat straight and become a bonafide closer? Yes, there is a chance of that, a slight chance that he will change and get better.

First things first.....Did you really just reference Boy George?!? Stan.....

Now on to Rodney and the straight hat thing - Hilarious. I don't understand why guys do that. is it to be different? Is it b/c their head is deformed? Polanco's got a HUGE noggin and his hat is straight. Are there any fielders that wear their hats like that? It seems to only be pitchers.

That said, I dont think Rodney is the answer, even though I have confidence in him. However, there's no one else right now that can do it. There must be a reason that Leyland didnt turn to Zumaya rather than Rodney. i'm not sure. There are guys out there for the closing job (H. Street, Sherill), but not sure DD is going to give up the prospects we have left to make a trade. As said in another string, we do have starting position players that can, and probably should be traded.
That said, unless we do a lot better than last night, we won't need a closer. These are games we need to be winning. Games aganst a bad cleveland team. plus, seems like every time the wsox lose, we lose, so we're gaining no ground. We really need to take the remaning games from cleveland this week.

Bondomania
07-29-2008, 12:04 PM
i think it is a latin thing.. mostly latin pitchers wear their hats tilted.. however, right now i don't see us making moves.. despite the fact that i want them to make moves.. I think rodney could be the solution, who really knows... let's give him a chance and see how he handles it before we pass judgement on him

smarkow
07-29-2008, 01:18 PM
well, we don't have time to wait and judge..blah blah blah. we also don't have many other options right now. He's the best option right now and if DD was able to make a trade, he probably would have.

stanpapi
07-29-2008, 03:04 PM
The Boy George reference was to highlight my sceptisism about this Rodney business. But I do agree that we should give him a shot as there's not really anybody more deserving. As much as I like Zumaya in there, I still think he's the boy with the million dollar arm and ten cent head (see Nuke Laloosh), but I would like to see him tested as a closer just the same. I also agree that we don't need to go out and get a closer at this point, unless, of course, we are getting someone for the long haul. The team has not simply put itself in a position to warrant a rent-a-player for this summer alone. In fact, I'd rather that we were sellers at this time. I'm not saying that we need to hold a garage sale, just that if players don't fit into next year's plans, then get rid of them and let's see (in some cases like SS and closer) let's see if the B-squad can do any better for now.

JackB
07-29-2008, 03:35 PM
CC Sabathia wers his hat the same way. I hate that ****. This is baseball. Not MTV.
Jayson Stark from ESPN said this afternoon he thinks Street will end up in Detroit. That other teams have back peddeled.
Do we have enough to get him? I think he has one more year after this year.That would be enough time for Zumaya to get his stuff together. That was the plan when they resigned Jones I believe.

DetTigers
07-29-2008, 03:43 PM
Where did you hear that Street looks like he will end up in Detroit? Do you have the story link or did you just hear it on t.v.?

JackB
07-29-2008, 04:27 PM
Mike and Mike were asking Jayson Stark where he thought Street would end up. He said Detroit. That was this afternoon about 3:00.
As far as what I said about Zumaya and Rodney being over hyped. Maybe I said it wrong but you took it to another level. What I should have said was the were both extremely good in 2006. That lead everybody to believe Zumaya was the next closer and would be the closer for a long time. Same with Rodney. He had a great year. But both had injuries and haven't been the same since 2006. Overhyped because everybody was talking what a great one two punch the Tigers had.
I would love to see Rodney gain control of his fast ball. Because as somebody said . With his change of speed pitch and that wicked fastball he could be a uge factor down the road.I'm hoping he does gain control.I'm not tryng to bash him or Zumaya. Not my style.But its my opinion just from what I have seen so far. He's given us nothing to be confident about. Yet. Key word. Yet

DetTigers
07-29-2008, 04:35 PM
I never said anything about Rodney or Zumaya (didnt take your comments the wrong way I appologize if you thought I did) but I agree that they will get things together and get their 06 form back and I think Street would be a good pickup for our team (Fuentes wouldnt be bad either)

JackB
07-29-2008, 04:49 PM
Looks like it could be Hawkins. He has closed but I'm not sure I trust him. I would rather take my chances with Rodney.

smarkow
07-29-2008, 05:24 PM
...we don't need to go out and get a closer at this point, unless, of course, we are getting someone for the long haul.

I agree with this. We are not in a position to get a rent-a-player for the remainder of the year. With our farm system the way it is, we just can't afford it. That said, there current members of this Tigers team that can be traded for a guy like H. Street, or Sherill of Baltimore.

Not sure how i feel about Hawkins. its not like he's performing that well this season. Plus, as I am partly a Cubs fan and lived in Chicago in 2004/5, this guy was on the same level as Todd Jones in terms of blowing saves. This guy was hated by just about every cubs fan i knew. It was unreal. I can't imagine going through that again, though this time, with my favorite team.

Bondomania
07-29-2008, 06:15 PM
it was me that took it to a new level.. haha.. sorry, i just think that rodney is our best option right now..

NO to latroy hawkins.. that guy is garbage, he had a good playoff series last year and that pushed everyone to think he was sweet.. other than that he hasn't been very good..

at this point, i agree with Papi, the time to make a move was early July, not now.. we just don't seem to have it this year.. i would like to see Renteria shopped, sheff shopped, pudge shopped, hell, i am not even opposed to shopping someone like Guillen because he could return a lot, and go with younger guys to see if they can contribute next year.. that way we at least know what options we have for next year, and know what will need to be addressed in the offseason..

JackB
07-29-2008, 09:33 PM
Your wish may come true very soon. The Chicago series coming up is huge. And its at Chicago.They can't worry about what other teams do.
We don't need Hawkins.