PDA

View Full Version : Who would you rather have as your PG: Jose Calderon or Gilbert Arenas

Mile High Champ
07-27-2008, 01:42 PM
Now some of you may laugh at this but this is a serious question. Who would you rather have, Calderon's passing ability and unselfishness or Arenas scoring and selfishness. Its a legit question. Would you rather have a guy that lead the league in assist to turnover ratio stat or a guy who drops 28 a a game. Take all parts of their game into consideration, who wins and why would you rather have that guy as your pg... Dont forget to vote..

Cheers

conway429
07-27-2008, 01:53 PM
Calderon... cause I'm a homer.

JordansBulls
07-27-2008, 02:41 PM
Are you kidding me with this comparison?
:confused:

TmacYao2
07-27-2008, 03:36 PM
Calderon, unless you have a point-forward like player on your team to run your offense.

_Sn1P3r_
07-27-2008, 03:40 PM
I'm a bit biased but I'd take Calderon. I'd want my PG to involve everyone and Calderon can have some big scoring nights because he developed a shot but he chooses to pass.

ink
07-27-2008, 06:04 PM
Complete no brainer. One of them knows his teammates are part of the offense.

Ansy
07-27-2008, 08:13 PM
I chose Calderon because I'm a Blazers fan and he'd be better on the Blazers. If I were a Heat fan, for example, I would choose Arenas.

Building a team from the ground up with no knowledge of who else would be on the team, I would consider it very close, but I think I'd choose Calderon.

kozelkid
07-27-2008, 08:54 PM
harder to find a good passing pg than a shoot first pg. I'd take calderon cause finding a passing 2 gaurd of point-forward is much harder.

SportsFan1988
07-27-2008, 09:05 PM
Considering I'm a Laker fan, I'm going with Jose Calderon. Not saying he's better than Arenas, but he fits the Laker team better than Gilbert does.

argo
07-27-2008, 11:48 PM
I was surprised when i heard the deal Arenas got from the Wiz, especially after how well they played without him.

Personally, if I'm building a team I'd stay away from big contracts with ego-maniacal volume shooters.

bogdanrom
07-28-2008, 01:30 AM
Calderon is the better traditional pass first point guard, but Arenas is the better player :mad:

PhillyLuver
07-28-2008, 02:01 AM
Arenas could be one of the best players in the NBA if he wasn't crazy.

Calderon

S.J.Basketball
07-28-2008, 03:37 AM
Calderon all the way. He's a REAL team leader that doesn't need to blog about his self importance all the time and share his unwanted opinions.

He does everything well and is a guy that you look at after a game and just KNOW he left everything out on the court.

LakerzDQ
07-28-2008, 08:59 AM
I'm just thinking, Jose Calderon used to be the most underrated PG, now he's getting overrated.

I'm not saying he's overrated, but people's giving him too much credit. people try to say stuff like "calderon's a pass-first pointguard, as pure as distilled water and my daughter, he is a great teammate, he is a winner, he is a leader, etc."

of course, fans would pick Calderon to try and be smart. When we all know GM's around the league would easily pick Arenas. after all, who got the money?

hey, Jose Calderon's a great pointguard. he can shoot, pass, and make good decisions. but he's not steve nash.

Mile High Champ
07-28-2008, 09:31 AM
Seems like Calderon is winning this battle. not that muich of a crazy question anymore now is it..

travesy3
07-28-2008, 11:21 AM
Calderon is a mini Steve Nash, shoots great percentages, doesn't turn it over, and can run the offense well, he is a lackluster defender though, similar to that of Nash, by no means am I saying Calderom=Nash, but that is what he is most similar to.

I would take Calderon to run my team.

ink
07-28-2008, 11:41 AM
Calderon is the better traditional pass first point guard, but Arenas is the better player :mad:

Arenas is the better scorer, but not necessarily the better player when you take everything into account. It's a good thread. It's really asking: what do you value in a PG?

bogdanrom
07-28-2008, 01:26 PM
I have no problem with the thread, and it's not crazy. But I still think Arenas is the better player. Overall, if you were to start from scratch, and you had to pick I think most people would pick Arenas.

Mile High Champ
07-28-2008, 01:39 PM
I have no problem with the thread, and it's not crazy. But I still think Arenas is the better player. Overall, if you were to start from scratch, and you had to pick I think most people would pick Arenas.

what arenas offers can be had easily, all he does is score, thats it. Calderon represents a game that is more balanced and truly offers what team would want in a starting pg. He passes first and thinks shoot second. Teams want this. What have the wizards won while Arenas has been the starting pg? Its a legit question. Dont bring up Calderon in the same argument when he has never been the starter for a full season yet. Arenas does not make his teamates better, he just takes shots away from them. Calderon at leas makes his team better and looks to help the team before his ego.

ink
07-28-2008, 03:08 PM
IMO the point is that Arenas has so many negatives it takes him out of the ranks of the really elite players. Calderon is one of my favourite players, but people are starting to overvalue him a bit this year. He's good in comparison with Arenas because of Gilbert's negatives. Calderon is an above average PG, but not yet elite in the L.

AgentViet
07-28-2008, 03:38 PM
Give me Calderon, he's one of my favourite players in the game. Great shooter, scoring, passer and brings that great positive energy to your squad. However if I need "the man", I'll take Gilbert.

conway429
07-28-2008, 03:43 PM
Yeah he's definately not elite at this point, but I expect him to be an all-star this year. The Steve Nash comparison is good for Calderon because they're both unselfish, and make the players around them better. I think almost all of us would say that Arenas has more raw talent, and will put up more points, but he takes away from a team as much as he brings to it. The question isn't who's a better player, it's who would you rather have as your PG, so it's not that surprising that Calderon's taking this poll.

HouRealCoach
07-30-2008, 06:10 PM
It depends if its a team like GS had last year I would go with Arenas but if a team like Houston, Portland, or Lakers I would take Calderon

#1Mavericksfan
07-31-2008, 12:51 AM
Jose Calderon

MoJay
07-31-2008, 08:34 AM
Calderon, the Bucks need a pass-first PG

North Yorker
07-31-2008, 12:57 PM
If Jose took as many sots as Gilbert does every game, how many ppg would he have? He can score easily, he just chooses not to

EDIT- But he needs to show that he can do it as a starter for a whole season first before he can become an elite PG