PDA

View Full Version : Kwame Brown anyone? and sign and trade for Josh Smith.

Countdown
07-27-2008, 01:29 PM
I think Kawame Brown still has some potential, We should sign him for as little as possible. He hasn't lived up to his 1st overall pick, but at the age of 25 he still has potential.

Also

I was just thinking about Atlanta's situation with Josh Smith. According to real gm.com, Atlanta is considering 2 sign and trade possibilites. 1 of the teams are from the East, and the other is from the west.

Do you think there is a chance we can come up with a good offer to offer Atlanta? I think that Atlanta needs a 2, 3, 4/5, and draft picks.

I think we can offer:
2/3 - Parker/Kapono (Both are good, Parker has an expiring contract and better D, Kapono is a better shooter)
3/4 - Graham (Expiring contract, and a change off teams may do him well)
4/5 - Humphries (Physical bigman, has a manageable contract)
3/4/5 - Bargnani (Young talent, 3 pt bigman, expiring contract)
Two first round picks

For
Josh Smith
Speedy Claxton

They get rid of Speedy's contract, and they fill thier holes

PG- Bibby/Law
SG- Johnson/Parker(Kapono)
SF- Bargnani/Mo Evans
PF- Williams/Humphries
C - Horford/Pachulia

For the Raptors we get:
PG- Calderon/Ukic/Lucas(sign)
SG- Parker(Kapono)/Adams/Speedy
SF- Smith/Moon
PF- Bosh/Jawai
C - O'Neal/Brown(if signed)

bigtimerapfan
07-27-2008, 01:47 PM
raps give up to much for me in this one....minus bargs and we might be on to something. and also 2 first rounders??? too much

Ragun
07-27-2008, 02:38 PM
raps give up to much for me in this one....minus bargs and we might be on to something. and also 2 first rounders??? too much

i would do that deal no doubt. he is a super star in the making.

mariotubes
07-27-2008, 03:17 PM
josh smith would be a great acquisition but we give up way too much in that deal... take a few odds and ends out and then were talking

bigtimerapfan
07-27-2008, 03:20 PM
i would do that deal no doubt. he is a super star in the making.

id make this trade next season...i wanna see one more year from bargs...this is the make or break season for him imo, i wanna see a improvement from his first year never mind his second year. I think making this trade right now would be too much of a gamble, not only with the trade with oneil but trading bargs in respect of how good he could be.

_Sn1P3r_
07-27-2008, 03:35 PM
josh smith would be a great acquisition but we give up way too much in that deal... take a few odds and ends out and then were talking

I agree. In an article they said a Eastern top-dog and it's possible that's us. I hope we could get Smith. He is a younger, and better offensive Moon when you think about it.

Goon.Weezy
07-27-2008, 03:53 PM
i wud not give up kapono or bargs...........they are the 2 best 3 point shooters we got........

RaPToR_FeVeR
07-27-2008, 05:05 PM
Im not exactly sure, haven't done my research (as I do not believe we are capable of landing Smith), but I believe due to his increase in salary (if he is to get over 10 million a year) he becomes a BYC and Hawks are only allowed to trade him for half his value. Don't quote me as I havent done my research. So Raptors wouldnt have to give up that much. Plus I would like to see Parker, Bargs, and Kapono play for us next season.

A possible trade I would do:

Raptors:
Joey Graham
Kris Humpreys
Jamario Moon (even thou i'll be sad to see him leave)
Future First Round Pick
Future Second Round Pick

for

Hawks:
Josh Smith

Don't take me serious on the trade either. Just me ranting.

B2B
07-27-2008, 05:20 PM
Im not exactly sure, haven't done my research (as I do not believe we are capable of landing Smith), but I believe due to his increase in salary (if he is to get over 10 million a year) he becomes a BYC and Hawks are only allowed to trade him for half his value. Don't quote me as I havent done my research. So Raptors wouldnt have to give up that much. Plus I would like to see Parker, Bargs, and Kapono play for us next season.

A possible trade I would do:

Raptors:
Joey Graham
Kris Humpreys
Jamario Moon (even thou i'll be sad to see him leave)
Future First Round Pick
Future Second Round Pick

for

Hawks:
Josh Smith

Don't take me serious on the trade either. Just me ranting.

You r correct in the BYC status.

TheHip
07-27-2008, 05:31 PM
If we make a deal for josh smith im going to **** myself... prolific shot blocking SF, i'll pretty much give them anything outside our big 3 for smith, plus we'd most likely get him for long a long term deal...not just a rental, im drooling, i absolutely love his style of play. Now that line up has swagger, stay out of the key. Id say all of the above deals would not be too much, if we can get him, we have to sacrifice the bench. You only need like 3-4 decent guys to come off the bench when your starting lineup is that good.

B2B
07-27-2008, 05:48 PM
GSW's set the restricted free agency bar by signing Ellis to 11 mil. I assume Josh is going to want somewhere between 11 & 14 mil. Like Raptor fevor mentioned because of the BYC status the team trading has to match half his salary so Atlanta won't get fair value back.

If I were to make a trade. I would trade Bargs because Hump can play centre & Smith can backup Bosh when not playing SF. Then we would have to trade Moon or Smith's salary would be > than 12 mil

ie Bargs + Graham = 15mil. If we were to trade that combination Josh would be signed at 15 mil

If Smith signs for 12 mil

Toronto Trades

Andrea Bargnani
Salary: $5,176,440 Years Remaining: 1

Moon
Salary: 711,517 Years Remaining: 1

Total $5,887,957 * 2 = 11,775,114

Atlanta Trades

Josh Smith
Salary S&T $12 mil

Trade works financially.

O'Neal/Hump/Jawai
Bosh/Smith/Hump
Smith/Kapono/Graham
Parker/Adams
Calderon/Ukic

As for filling out the Roster I saw on ****** Trade checker we have DeAndre Hulett & Giorgos Printezis listed. We have 1,100 left before luxury tax. I can see 2 $400,000 contracts being handed out for these players to fill out the roster

O'Neal/Jawai/Bosh/Hump/Smith/Kapono/Graham/Parker/Adams/Calderon/Ukic/Hulett/Printezis = 13 players

TheHip
07-27-2008, 05:48 PM
I read the bit on hoopshype about the 2 teams that they've recieved deals from and they refer to the eastrn conference team as "big dog". If i think of the possible teams that could mean i would say that they would be refering to eaither : boston, cleveland, toronto or detroit, not necessarily in that order. I dont see why boston would tinker, and id say that cleveland doesnt really have much to offer. I think that the team likely to put out the best offer would probably be detroit since they are apparently wanting to shake things up. The bit also mentioned that the ball would be in atlanta's court, and i have a feeling that they are going to want a fair bit in return for smith. I am of the opinion that I would rather take Hamilton or billups or prince over anything that the raptors could offer(outside of JMC, CB or JO), but hopefully BC finds a way...

you could also throw in orlando, who could offer somthing fairly decent as well, however i dont see why they would move any of their big 3 either

B2B
07-27-2008, 06:15 PM
What Detroit can offer?.

Rasheed/Billups/Rip/Prince all exceed 8 mil which would mean Smith would have to be signed at roughly 18 mil.

Players with cheaper contracts that can be packaged

Afflalo/Johnson/Maxiell/Stucky r on 1 mil contracts with Johnson the only exception at 3 mil which means if Smith was to get around 12 mil all those players would have to be included in a trade.

The only option is a package deal

Prince = 9.5 mil - Puchilla 4 mil = 5.5 mil

Smith signed at 11 mil + Puchilla = successfull trade

What Boston can offer?.

With Garnett at PF and PP at SF I don't see Boston as a player.

What Clevland Can offer?.

Varejao 5.7 mil + JJ Hickson 1.3 mil = 14 mil

Smith would have to be signed for 14 mil to get a decent deal.

What Philly can offer?.

Evans 4.6 mil + Young 1.9 mil = 6.5 mil

Smith would have to be signed for 13 mil but would Philly want to part with Young?

travesy3
07-27-2008, 06:23 PM
I would deal Bargs+A first+Fillers for Smith in a heartbeat, similar to JO, he addresses so many needs, in just one player.

The Wise 1
07-27-2008, 07:27 PM
I always thought when doing a sign and trade that the BYC doesnt come in affect. Are you guys sure that the BYC is in affect when completing a sign and trade.

And LOL to fact that some people thinking that Andrea and Parker with 2 first round picks is too much. Andrea doesnt have a hope in hell at becoming as good as Smith is right now at the age of what, 22?

hades
07-27-2008, 08:36 PM
hmm... i cant see why BC would trade for Smith using BARGS... someone please tell me why he should and why he would. i think BC will keep Bargs for atleast another year.

reevanson
07-27-2008, 08:38 PM
On the Kwame deal, I think we already have the "potential" player in Bargs, and I would take Bargs over Kwame any day of the week. On you trade, I really dont think ATL would go for most of those giving up an on the verg of allstar for some role players, I dont really think it works on either end. Smith seems like he would want to be "the guy" on a team and i dont know how he would like playing second fiddle to Bosh and maybe JO. He is not at a point in his career like Garnett and Allen who were willing to step down a notch for the good of thier team.

The Wise 1
07-27-2008, 08:43 PM
hmm... i cant see why BC would trade for Smith using BARGS... someone please tell me why he should and why he would. i think BC will keep Bargs for atleast another year.

Because we get a sure bet in Smith who is younger then Andrea and who is better in every aspect of the game except jump shooting. It also makes our weakest part of our game a whole lot better.

Your post should of read, hmmm... i cant see why Atlanta would trade for Andrea using Smith.

abbazabba
07-27-2008, 08:49 PM
Im not exactly sure, haven't done my research (as I do not believe we are capable of landing Smith), but I believe due to his increase in salary (if he is to get over 10 million a year) he becomes a BYC and Hawks are only allowed to trade him for half his value.

Isn't Atlanta also looking to dump Speedy Claxton's salary on whoever takes Josh Smith, which would be around another $6 million?

RaPToR_FeVeR
07-27-2008, 09:49 PM
Isn't Atlanta also looking to dump Speedy Claxton's salary on whoever takes Josh Smith, which would be around another $6 million?

Yeah, I was just ranting for fun. In reality, Atlanta would never trade Josh Smith by himself. It will be the biggest loose because of his BYC status. Im sure any trade will involve another large salary (like you said, Claxton) in order to even the playing fields. If Smith is signed for 12 M and Claxton is worth 6 M like you say, Atlanta can get back 12 M in contracts for the two. Otherwise it will be only 6 M and will be the biggest steal for who ever trades for him.

And back to the point is BC trying for Josh. I don't think so. Trading for him will probably put the Raptors over the Luxury Tax Level by approximately 6 M and I dont think MLSE is willing to pay that much in taxes.

The top dog they speak of is probably Detroit.

If BC some how pulls of the Smith trade without giving much :speechless: I'll piss in my pants, and scalp my way to every Raptors game...:smoking:

RaPToR_FeVeR
07-27-2008, 09:52 PM
I always thought when doing a sign and trade that the BYC doesnt come in affect. Are you guys sure that the BYC is in affect when completing a sign and trade.

Yup, it is in effect. Think about it. Otherwise, teams will sign players for more than what they are really worth, just to get back more in a sign and trade. Sounds like an ENRON case. :D

TheHip
07-28-2008, 01:27 AM
And back to the point is BC trying for Josh. I don't think so. Trading for him will probably put the Raptors over the Luxury Tax Level by approximately 6 M and I dont think MLSE is willing to pay that much in taxes.

if atlanta throws in other contracts we can take back the same salary that we give, thus not changing our cap situation, so financially it is possible without going into the luxury tax.

personally if i was atlanta i wouldnt trade smith for a bunch of stuff from us, but wacky trades/steals happen in the nba all the time. and i would assume that smith has to agree to the deal too...

however as i said before i agree that detroit seams more likely...

carlo4444
07-28-2008, 07:22 AM
detroit have now walked away from the deal so could raps be up for it?

B2B
07-28-2008, 08:20 AM
Detroit didn't walk away they r very much interseted but they r not the team with an offer on the table.

"AUBURN HILLS -- It's no secret the Detroit Pistons are among the teams watching the Josh Smith drama in Atlanta unfold with a lot of interest.

But according to a league official, a published report in Atlanta that made reference to an "Eastern Conference team" having a sign-and-trade offer on the table for Smith, is not Detroit.

In fact, it has been more than three weeks since the two teams talked."

http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.ssf/2008/07/pistons_keeping_an_eye_on_hawk.html

Top teams in the East

Boston X
Detroit X
Orlando
Philly X Brand at PF Young SF
Cavs X nothing to offer other than Lebron
Washington
Toronto

We r a definite possiblity to be the team with an offer on the table.

abbazabba
07-28-2008, 08:22 AM
Yeah, I was just ranting for fun. In reality, Atlanta would never trade Josh Smith by himself. It will be the biggest loose because of his BYC status. Im sure any trade will involve another large salary (like you said, Claxton) in order to even the playing fields. If Smith is signed for 12 M and Claxton is worth 6 M like you say, Atlanta can get back 12 M in contracts for the two. Otherwise it will be only 6 M and will be the biggest steal for who ever trades for him.

If BC some how pulls of the Smith trade without giving much :speechless: I'll piss in my pants, and scalp my way to every Raptors game...:smoking:

yeah, its fun to think about. It be awesome if raptors could get Smith (and take on claxton) for something like bargs, moon, and some scrubs like grahm and humprhies, and some picks. But don't know how realistic.

About the luxury tax, its pretty apparent that MLSE doesn't want to go over it right yet, but has there been any indication that they still wouldn't be willing to go over it in the future if the right deal came along? I hope thats not the case, because i don't think they will be able to build a lasting contender otherwise.

pebloemer
07-28-2008, 09:14 AM
i wud not give up kapono or bargs...........they are the 2 best 3 point shooters we got........

Parker and Calderon are both better 3pt shooters than Bargs.

Mile High Champ
07-28-2008, 09:26 AM
I just cant see us going after Toronto. I dont think we have much left in terms of trade value excpet bargs. It would be great to get him but if the Pistons are saying the price is too high for Josh Smith, than certainly it will be too high for us. The pistons have better players to offer and if they cant get him, not a chance we can..

bartlett2266
07-28-2008, 11:28 AM
Is it actually realistic to think the raps might get smith or is this all just talk.

RaPToR_FeVeR
07-28-2008, 12:51 PM
Is it actually realistic to think the raps might get smith or is this all just talk.

It is all talk my friend. This is just a blog where we rant and dream about the "What Ifs" in regards to the Raptors because no one else in our real lives want to hear it or cares to hear it from us.

bartlett2266
07-28-2008, 01:13 PM
It is all talk my friend. This is just a blog where we rant and dream about the "What Ifs" in regards to the Raptors because no one else in our real lives want to hear it or cares to hear it from us.

I hear ya brother but thats a huge one i would be dying to see, because that one could probably give us a good shot at the east

Cortez
07-28-2008, 01:48 PM
i would like to see that happen

B2B
07-28-2008, 01:53 PM
I hear ya brother but thats a huge one i would be dying to see, because that one could probably give us a good shot at the east

If it has chance or possibility, it's realistic. The deal getting done is reality. There's no deal so far, so it's not reality but it's realistically possible all things considering.

North Yorker
07-28-2008, 02:49 PM
I love all the trade talks that are going on. And if we could somehow get a Jose/Parker/Smith/Bosh/Oneal lineup than we would instantly challenge Boston for the East. He is everything we need in 1- slasher, shot blocker, rebounder, scorer

RaPToR_FeVeR
07-28-2008, 02:54 PM
I love all the trade talks that are going on. And if we could somehow get a Jose/Parker/Smith/Bosh/Oneal lineup than we would instantly challenge Boston for the East. He is everything we need in 1- slasher, shot blocker, rebounder, scorer

+1