PDA

View Full Version : No move, No Playoffs

Zoomlander
07-27-2008, 10:36 AM
I believe if the tigers do not make a move at the deadline this team will not make the playoffs..............only upgrades we need is at short, starting rotation, and in the bullpen.

stanpapi
07-27-2008, 01:37 PM
At short, insert Santiago. He's got the best glove in the business, and if he can hit . 265, I'd be just fine with batting him 9th. As for the BP, trade Jones. Just do it. Still not sure that this team can go anywhere, but get rid of the deadwood.

Sox Appeal
07-27-2008, 01:43 PM
I don't see you guys making the playoffs, even if you do make a move.:shrug:

Sheffies Chef
07-27-2008, 05:19 PM
At short, insert Santiago. He's got the best glove in the business, and if he can hit . 265, I'd be just fine with batting him 9th. As for the BP, trade Jones. Just do it. Still not sure that this team can go anywhere, but get rid of the deadwood.

Easier said than done my friend. i doubt we are the only ones that see he sucks. who would take him and his handlebar 'stache???

SportsFan1988
07-27-2008, 08:02 PM
It's a shame to see them struggling like this after all of the expectations hauling over them, but I think if they can acquire another arm before the deadline they might be able to make one more push for the playoffs.

Regardless of what happens this year, I'm expecting a much better year out of them next season, I think they'll get it together by than.

Bondomania
07-27-2008, 09:58 PM
i will agree.. i don't know where the need to upgrade the most, because as i see it, the tigers only have enough prospects to probably make one move.. as far as shortstop.. we also have Hollimon who has lots of pop in his bat, and he is very underrated on defense.. my list of guys i would want is as follows

Burnett
Street
Bedard

if we could get the later then we have the for sure through 2009 as well, so it wouldn't be a rental player.. and i think street is under contract through 2010

cubsfan9124
07-27-2008, 11:23 PM
I don't see you guys making the playoffs, even if you do make a move.:shrug:

There's over 55 games:rolleyes:

Sox Appeal
07-27-2008, 11:33 PM
It's a shame to see them struggling like this after all of the expectations hauling over them, but I think if they can acquire another arm before the deadline they might be able to make one more push for the playoffs.

Regardless of what happens this year, I'm expecting a much better year out of them next season, I think they'll get it together by than.

Yeah, coming into this season people where saying they where the best offensive team in the last 50 years, they could score 1,000 runs, etc. They aren't even the best offensive team in the American League (Even though they have a damn good offense) and they won't even come close to 1,000 runs, but that's why you play the games, I guess.

There's no question the Tigers will be better, but so will every team in the AL Central. This is going to be one of the best divisions in baseball for years to come.

cubsfan9124
07-27-2008, 11:51 PM
Yeah, coming into this season people where saying they where the best offensive team in the last 50 years, they could score 1,000 runs, etc. They aren't even the best offensive team in the American League (Even though they have a damn good offense) and they won't even come close to 1,000 runs, but that's why you play the games, I guess.

There's no question the Tigers will be better, but so will every team in the AL Central. This is going to be one of the best divisions in baseball for years to come.

When you change your lineup with a big trade or signing it can sometimes take a while to get going. The Cubs were an example last year when Soriano came and they were awful to start.

Add in they have to play at Comerica half there games too.

stanpapi
07-28-2008, 10:18 AM
That's the thing -- they do have to play half their games at Comerica, and this team is not built for Comerica. It's a vast park (even with the fences brought in) and you need a fast team that fields well and can play some small ball. This is by and large a slow team that fields poorly with one or two guys that can lay down a clean bunt or steal a base. Might work at the old Tiger Stadium, but not here. I'm afraid this team needs to do more than "make a move." Team needs a good re-think. It's not a matter of tinkering. It's a matter of looking at guys and if they don't fit into the long-term, trade 'em now for models that are swifter a foot.

Bondomania
07-28-2008, 11:01 AM
the thing though is that we have help on the way in our minor league system all of which offers goood defense and a little speed, especially on the infield we have

Hollimon - SS,2b
Worth - SS (just got promoted to AAA, excellent gap hitter)
Cale Iorg - SS, 3B
Scott Sizemore - 2B (was doing well until wrist injury)
Brandon Douglas - SS,2B (just drafted, knows how to play the game)
Aldin Carithers - 2B (just at GCL, however, in college he was almost a .400 hitter)

I think we need more gap hitters to be quite honest, if you notice, it isn't the power hitting teams that create problems for us, it is the teams that hit the gaps and are aggressive on the basepaths that give us trouble. As far as defense, those guys mentioned above are for the most part plus defenders as well.. so i am not sure exactly what re-tooling is necessary, we have a stock pile of outfielders as well, both of whom are good defenders.. i think if we lack anything it is legit pitching prospects at the upper levels of our system.

Cavs_Fan24
07-28-2008, 12:04 PM
i just think we get rid of Todd Jones first of all
second get a good relief pitcher, and/or a starting pitcher
then i just think we have to stay consistent, cuz that's our big issue

Bondomania
07-28-2008, 12:53 PM
yea, really we don't need to blow it all up.. i am not even sold that we need a lot more speed, we just need guys that can put the ball in play and not swinging for the fences..

stanpapi
07-28-2008, 02:17 PM
You're not sold that we need a lot more speed? C'mon, Bondo. We can't do much in that park without speed. Need speed to get to the ball. Need speed to stretch singles into doubles, especially if you want gap hitters. Mostly, you need a team tailored to play in the ballpark. Do we still need some big boppers? You bet. Take your pick up of the best and gas the rest. But if you're going to tell me this team doesn't need to get faster in a hurry, well, you're not watching. If they don't hit taters, they don't win. The team needs to be able to manufacture runs in tight games and it simply can't.

cubsfan9124
07-28-2008, 03:25 PM
They need to bring the fences in more.

Bondomania
07-28-2008, 04:06 PM
i would be content with a true leadoff guy with speed... other than that, i think we have young guys coming that will be faster than the team we put out there. If we had a true leadoff guy, then we bump Curtis to third in the lineup.. then we have speed at 1st and 3rd in the lineup.. then i like maggs, miggy, and guillen batting 4th, 5th and 6th.. then we have Joyce who isn't blazing fast but he is quick... then we will need a new DH, i like Larish, he hits well with runners on base, then i think we plug someone in the 9th spot, possible Worth, who is also quick and can steal some bases.. once again, not blazing fast, but fast enough to put some pressure on other clubs.. that would be speed at the 1st 3rd 7th and 9th positions.. i don't think we will ever put anything out there like the twins have.. they have speed to burn throughout their lineup.. however, if you can keep those guys off the base paths then they have trouble winning because they lack serious power in their lineup, other than morneau (sp?).. i just think we need a little more speed, and guys that can hit the gaps, and not just always swing for the fences.. with how big the gaps are in comerica, and how far the fences are, that should be the goal.. and if we could get more plate discipline (as unlikely as that may be) then i don't think we would have to add a ton of speed.. i honestly want Gerald Laird if we are going after a catcher this offseason.. he hits for average, plays solid defense, and is just a pure gap hitter and he would flourish in Comerica as opposed to Texas's field

Cavs_Fan24
07-29-2008, 02:42 PM
only thing i disagree with is the part about Larish cuz i do not like him whatsoever :)

Bondomania
07-29-2008, 06:34 PM
eh, i like him a lot.. he might be my favorite prospect.. his BA wasn't very good the first time up here.. however, he was hitting over .400 with runners on base.. that i guess that is the telling story.. but i like him a lot, and think he has 20 hr power..

JMDTM
07-29-2008, 07:30 PM
Larish has been heating up every time he plays. Something i would like to see is Renteria and Sheffield get traded. there are 2 RP with 1 year left on there contract who i like. Juan Cruz and Dan Wheeler. both could come help our pen for a 2nd half run. id like to see Guillen back at Short, and Inge moved to 3rd. Thames, who should obviously be our main DH over Sheffield, will be DH.
Batting Order
1.Granderson
2.Polanco
3.Guillen
4.Ordonez
5.Cabrera
6.Thames
7.Joyce
8.Pudge
9.Inge

Bondomania
07-29-2008, 09:24 PM
not sure if Guillen would go back to SS.. he has about the same range as renteria, and everyone already gets on Rent for his lack of range.. i am pretty sure 3B is going to permanently be Guillen's.. especially with his bad knees..

Also, don't count on Dan Wheeler.. he is pitching with Tampa and they are in the thick of a division battle for first with the bosox and the yankees.. so i don't think they are going to deal any of their pen.. i am not sure who Juan Cruz is though.. If we deal sheff i would like to see Larish and Thames platoon, Thames goes against lefties, Larish goes against righties