PDA

View Full Version : Is Leo Rautins just acting the role?

airjuice
07-27-2008, 05:01 AM
No doubt the Canadian Basketball team was lacking in talent and lacked any real professional players except Joel Anthony on the team, but my beef is with Leo. Now first off, I'm not solely blaming Canada's demise on him, but I do have some problems with his attitude and just how he looks out there. He comes off acting like a genius on television broadcasts and tries to be "the know it all". Now is it me or does he have a nervous twitch or a cocky twitch. (the thing he does with his shoulders when on television) I believe he has no idea how to coach and he just acts the role. He seeing all these other former players coaching and must think, "I could do that!" Why is he standing up all the time on the sidelines when your team is down 50. (USA crushed us!!) The looks on his face are baffled. When he talks to his team or players from the sideline, it looks like he's whispering cause he's to nervous to yell out something stupid. I remember when we played Philly last year, in Philly, and he ripped Sam Dalembert. Saying if he wanted to really be on the Canadian team he would have became a Canadian by now. Then, when he became a Canadian all was forgotten and it was never brought up. Now he kicks him off the team and rips him on local radio stations. Why not pull Sam aside and let him know how the team feels and tell him to ship up. Instead he takes our best player and cuts him, then uses it as an excuse to why we are not going to do well.

What do you think? I know I'm probably being very critical of him and it sounds more like I'm just ripping him, but I think I made some valid points. I actually don't mind his color commentary.

hades
07-27-2008, 07:06 AM
exactly!
COLOR COMMENTARY! leo should stick to that and leave the coaching duties to somebody else. or shouldve. i bet you he is also "a" reason for some canadian nba players not to join canada for the olympics. i heard somewhere that nash doesnt want to play for leo. I dont know if theres any truth to that obviously cant provide a link, but it doesnt stop me from saying it.

do we get to vote who gets to be the coach? i wanna know who selected him as canada's head coach.

travesy3
07-27-2008, 08:29 AM
I've always hate Leo, I find he gives Chuck a hard time during the games, and he tries to act like a know it all. I just don't like him at all, is he announcing with that other new guy still?

Master P
07-27-2008, 09:05 AM
Leo is fine. Maybe his hair style and baywatch-esque tan can make him appear a bit cocky, but im over that. he is really solid at colour commentary and i think he has the knowledge / balls to coach a rebuilding canadian team.

and of course the americans beat us by 50. not only are they much better, canada is also on a low after not making the games. personally i was very impressed with how well leo had the team playing in the first quarter.

also, he never ripped dalembert. chuck and leo provided canadian fans an honest discussion over whether dalembert was actually going to play for team canada. leo stated that they had discussed it weeks prior, that sam gave a verbal commitment and was excited to suit up for canada, and that as of that game he had not submitted the paper's to receive citizenship in order to play. because of that he had to leave with the conclusion that the door was open to sam should you file the papers, but as of that point team canada was operating without him.

JWalk126
07-27-2008, 09:07 AM
btw, does anyone know why Dalembert was dismissed from the Canadian NT?

Tom Stone
07-27-2008, 12:08 PM
No doubt the Canadian Basketball team was lacking in talent and lacked any real professional players except Joel Anthony on the team, but my beef is with Leo. Now first off, I'm not solely blaming Canada's demise on him, but I do have some problems with his attitude and just how he looks out there. He comes off acting like a genius on television broadcasts and tries to be "the know it all". Now is it me or does he have a nervous twitch or a cocky twitch. (the thing he does with his shoulders when on television) I believe he has no idea how to coach and he just acts the role. He seeing all these other former players coaching and must think, "I could do that!" Why is he standing up all the time on the sidelines when your team is down 50. (USA crushed us!!) The looks on his face are baffled. When he talks to his team or players from the sideline, it looks like he's whispering cause he's to nervous to yell out something stupid. I remember when we played Philly last year, in Philly, and he ripped Sam Dalembert. Saying if he wanted to really be on the Canadian team he would have became a Canadian by now. Then, when he became a Canadian all was forgotten and it was never brought up. Now he kicks him off the team and rips him on local radio stations. Why not pull Sam aside and let him know how the team feels and tell him to ship up. Instead he takes our best player and cuts him, then uses it as an excuse to why we are not going to do well.

What do you think? I know I'm probably being very critical of him and it sounds more like I'm just ripping him, but I think I made some valid points. I actually don't mind his color commentary.

Man I totaly agree.....you must find anyway around the dalembert situation....He really didn't think things through....we can't lose him , were just not good enough.....Leo should have swallowed his pride and delt with it behind scenes.....Canada really needs a floor general (come on Nash!)

intrepid1983
07-27-2008, 02:17 PM
I agree that Leo comes off a bit harsh looking, and at first I was shocked, until I read in the accompanying articles that the Canadian team players were the first to complain about Dalembert, to a point where Leo had to do something. I respect Leo for what he did, it is not easy to rip into the player that you were trying to bring along into the olympics. Apparently the players were saying Dalembert had this nba aura around him and that he would show up late, leave early, not practice, and during the games, even the point guard had more rebounds than him. The article I think is offline now so I can't really prove these points, but that's what it pretty much said.

I was angry with Leo too, but I respect him for that decision. Remember, he was really happy at Sam for joining the team at first. Additionally, while Sam was going to play in the Olympics, he also told the nba he would be participating for hte nba cares program at the same time he's scheduled to work out with the Canadian Olympic team. Sam said he was busy, but Leo said, you think your other teammates aren't busy? Many of them have families, and had to take time off of their work to play for the Canadian team that doesnt even pay them. They do it out of pride for their country. You can't have disrespect when you're representing any country. It's just not right.

Although I agree, Leo looks as though he has this elitist attitude about him, but he knows what he's talking about. He has to try and be confident about who he is.