PDA

View Full Version : is traditional basketball in crisis?

Hellcrooner
07-27-2008, 03:16 AM
Ok, i started watching NBa in the mid 80s, back then you plahyed the game with Poing guards, Shooting guards, Small Fowards, Power fowards and Centers.

Point guards ( with the exception of magic) used to be 6,0 -6,2 Guys, quick that moved the ball and created plays for the rest of the team, always looked to pass the ball and look for the best free man available, ok star pgs lie Isiaih or magic did score, bur rearely did they average 25-30 points a game.

Shoootingh GUards, where 6,3 to 6,5 guys who every now and then moved the ball and rarely did involve themselves in the making of the plays, they were there for outside shooting and helping out the PG, there where some stars, but rarely did the franchise deppend on them to win titles. , until JORDAN came

Samll FOwards. 6-6 to 6.8 had a imprtatn role, they where there to score and finish the counter attac, they had important tasks in D and a complete lot of STars where to be found at the position, W davis, DAntley, B KIng, Bird, Worthy, English etc etc .

Power Fowards6-9,6-10, rarely shot from teh outside, where hustel in D and faced the RIng on their Backs .

Centers: where the Key to winning Rings, the pivotal piece in any teams scheme, had good feet movement and good overall skills, where skilled with their hands and very good playing backwards to the basket, even people like Cartwright or Joe barry Carroll used to score 20 +bucks a game.

Ok nowdays the thing looks like this.

PG ? They shoot the ball dont care about passing or involving the team mates, they usualy are 63 or taller and is not difficult to see them making 30 ppoints a game ( arenas , marbury).

SG? you can find 6,8 shooting guards, they are the pivotal player for half the teams in the league, sometimes they even go up with the ball.

SF: There are barely hihg scorers now, and there are quite a few 7 footers playing the position.ant there are a whole lot of Swingmen that ar sg in reality...

PF: 7 footers, they go out and shot threes and sometimes they go into the middle of the Scheme.

C?? 7 foters, the actual ones teache dto be centers are lousy like Haywood or foster,and have NO skills, the Talented ones are al of them in reality Power fowards pretending to be centers like stoudamrie, Gasol, Howard, Okur etc etc.

So Basically, have we gone from 1,2,3,4,5 to 2, 2``, 2````/4 , 4, 4???????

heyman321
07-27-2008, 03:42 AM
Yes we have. But basketball is not in crisis. Question answered.

ARMIN12NBA
07-27-2008, 03:42 AM
Basketball is just evolving like every sport evolves. Anyways, there are still teams that still use the traditional basketball style as well as teams like the Warriors who have a different and new style system.

Raidaz4Life
07-27-2008, 10:29 AM
you mean the kind where they played with peach baskets?

bostncelts34
07-27-2008, 10:39 AM
there are alot of PF's that dont shoot 3's. Gasol,KG,Duncan,Boozer,beasely,brand...and so on.

And you also have some BIG centers who like to bang down low with skill. Shaq,ming, perkins, Big Z...

JWalk126
07-27-2008, 11:13 AM
you mean the kind where they played with peach baskets?

in the mid 1980's? :eyebrow:

knowledgeGOD
07-27-2008, 02:28 PM
dude thats just what basketball is now a days and what it has become

_Sn1P3r_
07-27-2008, 03:25 PM
there are alot of PF's that dont shoot 3's. Gasol,KG,Duncan,Boozer,beasely,brand...and so on.

And you also have some BIG centers who like to bang down low with skill. Shaq,ming, perkins, Big Z...

I think Beasley will be shooting 3s this year.

NBAkYD
07-27-2008, 03:26 PM
no

*Superman*
07-27-2008, 03:33 PM
:confused: I dont think you were to clear with what you wanted to say.

lakers4sho
07-27-2008, 03:46 PM
I think it used to be the Center would be scorer and the PF would be the dirty guy cleaning up the mess (Kareem and Rambis for example), and now most teams have a scoring PF and a utility Center (Duncan and Oberto for example), mainly because of the lack of true centers these days. And players today have become more athletic than players in the past. Players in the past have used their IQ's to make up for their lack of athleticism.

About the point guards, I think it's the same issue, lack of true point guards. That's why you have 6'3"-6'4" shooting guards moving down to the 1 spot. Although PG's such as Chris Paul can both pass AND score at the same time.

jnb58
07-27-2008, 04:05 PM
I don't think players are much taller than they used to be. They are maybe an inch on average bigger but everyone is now measured with shoes on.

The big men are much more athletic on average and have less one dimensional games.

Passing in the NBA is on the decline though. No one gets big contracts with assists.