PDA

View Full Version : Josh Smith Rumors Heating Up

phlp_bj
07-26-2008, 10:49 PM
Negotiations are reportedly going nowhere between the Atlanta Hawks and restricted free agent Josh Smith. Smith is hoping for an annual salary in excess of $10 million while the Hawks are reluctant to meet his price.

It's easy to forget the Hawks won just 37 regular season games last season since what everyone remembers is Atlanta pushing the Boston Celtics to the brink in the first round. The cold hard truth is, though, that Atlanta really isn't anywhere close to contending. As such, giving Smith big-time money is a risky proposition. Moreover, with Mike Bibby scheduled to come off the books next summer, the Hawks could look to re-tool in the summer of 2009 or 2010.

At this stage, it looks like the Hawks best bet might be to sign and trade Josh Smith. Sekou Smith of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution indicated that a "Western Conference power" and an "Eastern Conference big dog" have already submitted offers to the Hawks, and that the team is currently in the process of weighing those offers.

Of course, any kind of sign and trade deal is harder than it appears at face value. If Smith signs a contract in excess of $10 million as it's expected he will, he will immediately become a Base Year Compensation (BYC) player due to the 20% increase in his salary. This means the Hawks could only take back 50% of Smith's BYC contract, which definitely complicates potential trade scenarios. It's possible that a third team might have to get involved in a number trade scenarios. Still, even while complicated to consummate, there's a heck of a lot of smoke coming from the sign and trade Josh Smith fire.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9603

*Superman*
07-26-2008, 11:03 PM
Mavs and Pistions are my guesses.

black1605
07-26-2008, 11:20 PM
bobcats are facing the same problem with okafor....RFA's are f-cked up

Ph1lly Diehard
07-26-2008, 11:22 PM
I'm almost sure that it's the Pistons in the East, and the Lakers in the West

thedfactor
07-26-2008, 11:27 PM
Dallas would fit nicely

daleja424
07-26-2008, 11:27 PM
bobcats are facing the same problem with okafor....RFA's are f-cked up

Its a good idea gone very very bad....

jtrinaldi
07-26-2008, 11:33 PM
milwaukee will end up with okafor

King Koopa
07-26-2008, 11:33 PM
I think its the Pistons and the mavs.

King Koopa
07-26-2008, 11:34 PM

How they have no cap room and they have Bogut anyways......

black1605
07-26-2008, 11:36 PM

as long as we get mo evens and charlie for oak and felton

Sixerlover
07-26-2008, 11:38 PM
I can see Cuban trying to make a splash like this, but I would hate it for the Mavs. I mean neither J-Ho nor Smith can play the 2, and Dirk can't play the 5 so smith and J-Ho can be on the court together. Unless of course Howard is in the deal going to Atlanta.

AgentViet
07-26-2008, 11:42 PM
Hawks should just pay him, this kid is gonna be great. They're cheaping out on their most valuable player and they'll be burdened with another decade stuck in the lottery.

lakersrock
07-26-2008, 11:49 PM
Pistons and Lakers.....

I say Lakers, because Farmar has to be attractive to them. Besides Bibby, he would easily be their best PG. Throw in Ariza and a pick with Odom and his expiring and it's one of the best offers I can think of them getting. Josh Howard in that town is just asking for trouble. That's why I don't think Atl would like that deal.

Ph1lly Diehard
07-26-2008, 11:49 PM
This is the reason why the Hawks never make the playoffs...

Stupid management making dumb desicions

#1Mavericksfan
07-27-2008, 12:10 AM
Pistons and Lakers.....

I say Lakers, because Farmar has to be attractive to them. Besides Bibby, he would easily be their best PG. Throw in Ariza and a pick with Odom and his expiring and it's one of the best offers I can think of them getting. Josh Howard in that town is just asking for trouble. That's why I don't think Atl would like that deal.

Really?...because I think Josh Howard would fit better beside Joe Johnson instead of Odom who is more of a PF than a SF, and please name me one bad thing Josh Howard has done besides saying he smokes weed?

BlondeBomber41
07-27-2008, 03:05 AM
Pistons and Lakers.....

Did you even read the article?

It says because of the rules, the Hawks can only take back half of what they pay Josh Smith.

Since Lamar Odom makes 14 million, its almost impossible that its gonna be to the Lakers for Odom. Unless of course you are implying the Hawks are going to give Smith a contract that pays him 28+ million a year. :rolleyes:

I also love how you say Josh Howard in Atlanta is "trouble" when Howard has never got in any trouble aside from a comment he made... in which he didnt even get in trouble for while Odom, who has been suspended multiple times for drug use would be just peachy in Atlanta right?

Typical Laker fan point of view on things, always trying to rationalize things that dont make sense because it would somehow help the Lakers.

BigEric
07-27-2008, 03:09 AM
If he leaves I feel bad for Atlanta.

DES
07-27-2008, 04:19 AM
sign and trade for mobley and thomas...josh smith to clippers...would be dope.

rico
07-27-2008, 09:07 AM

wow really? youd rather have that over hinrich and deng for felton and okafor??!

trade with the bulls would be prime, cuz deng would be a s&t as well.

thedfactor
07-27-2008, 09:28 AM
How they have no cap room and they have Bogut anyways......

It says because of the rules, the Hawks can only take back half of what they pay Josh Smith.

Since Lamar Odom makes 14 million, its almost impossible that its gonna be to the Lakers for Odom. Unless of course you are implying the Hawks are going to give Smith a contract that pays him 28+ million a year. :rolleyes:

I also love how you say Josh Howard in Atlanta is "trouble" when Howard has never got in any trouble aside from a comment he made... in which he didnt even get in trouble for while Odom, who has been suspended multiple times for drug use would be just peachy in Atlanta right?

Typical Laker fan point of view on things, always trying to rationalize things that dont make sense because it would somehow help the Lakers.
I didn't realize that was the case, but if so I guess that would eliminate an Odom deal since theres no way Smith takes such a cheap contract.

BleedPurple
07-27-2008, 09:30 AM
Really?...because I think Josh Howard would fit better beside Joe Johnson instead of Odom who is more of a PF than a SF, and please name me one bad thing Josh Howard has done besides saying he smokes weed?

Smoking weed is a bad thing:speechless:.:smoking::smoking::smoking:

Dirty Dirk41
07-27-2008, 09:48 AM
Smoking weed is a bad thing:speechless:.:smoking::smoking::smoking:

:smoking:it is???your a girl:smoking:

jtrinaldi
07-27-2008, 10:09 AM

is felton a pg or sg if he is a pg were set even though i like felton skiles loves sessions

okafor would be a great Pf

Raidaz4Life
07-27-2008, 10:25 AM
Pistons and Lakers.....

Lol that is waaaaay too much for a Smith.... I'll take our chances with Odom and let the Mavs get him

bostncelts34
07-27-2008, 10:43 AM
I'm almost sure that it's the Pistons in the East, and the Lakers in the West

what would the lakers do with Smith? they have Gasol and Bynum for bigs already.

showtym24
07-27-2008, 10:49 AM
what would the lakers do with Smith? they have Gasol and Bynum for bigs already.

josh can play sf

marques724
07-27-2008, 10:50 AM
I am positive the pistons are the eastern conference team and I have a feeling it's the lakers in the west. Hawks management is real cheap and might want Odom's expiring contract.

showtym24
07-27-2008, 10:52 AM

lol the mavs are still considered a powerhouse? He would be a nice fit with yall tho, but i'd rather see him with us.

Cavs_Fan24
07-27-2008, 10:59 AM
personally, i cant see the Mavs pulling something like this off
i expect him to be in a Pistons uni next year for a few reasons

1) Tayshaun Prince
-The Hawks have expressed interest for Tayshaun Prince for awhile now, and the Pistons have had interest in adding a younger, more energentic guy = Josh Smith

2) Joe Dumars
-He promised something would be done to make this team better, and i expect him to because for whatever reason, the lineup they have just cant win in the playoffs. and Smith is the kind of player Dumars would go after

The only reason i can think of as to why he wouldn't go to Detroit is that Atlanta wouldn't want to trade him to an Eastern Conference rival, that or they finally agree to give Smith BIG money

Without a doubt in my mind i can see Smith a Piston next year, unless [the other reasons i listed]

I could see this happening:

Detroit gets:
Josh Smith

Atlanta gets:
Tayshaun Prince
Future 1st rounder
Cash
(Maybe another role player to sweetin the deal;)

chicagowhitesox
07-27-2008, 11:23 AM
Bulls will S&T for Okafor and Smith. That would be great.

Camden Guru
07-27-2008, 11:25 AM
personally, i cant see the Mavs pulling something like this off
i expect him to be in a Pistons uni next year for a few reasons

1) Tayshaun Prince
-The Hawks have expressed interest for Tayshaun Prince for awhile now, and the Pistons have had interest in adding a younger, more energentic guy = Josh Smith

2) Joe Dumars
-He promised something would be done to make this team better, and i expect him to because for whatever reason, the lineup they have just cant win in the playoffs. and Smith is the kind of player Dumars would go after

The only reason i can think of as to why he wouldn't go to Detroit is that Atlanta wouldn't want to trade him to an Eastern Conference rival, that or they finally agree to give Smith BIG money

Without a doubt in my mind i can see Smith a Piston next year, unless [the other reasons i listed]

I could see this happening:

Detroit gets:
Josh Smith

Atlanta gets:
Tayshaun Prince
Future 1st rounder
Cash
(Maybe another role player to sweetin the deal;)

why would we trade for Prince since the hawks so not want to take on a long term deal in excess of 10 million. Prince is due 9.5 mill over the next 3 seasons. I would also like to point out that any trade would most likely include speedy which would give the hawks even more incentive to trade smith.
I wish we could keep him and the fact that we are not contenders is no reason to trade our 2nd leading scorer and leading shot blocker. I wish that Sund and the owners would realize that we are not going to build a contender in the 2010 free agent market. We need to keep our assets and make small moves up til then. Besides the bibby contract is more than enough to get a decent player.

Cavs_Fan24
07-27-2008, 12:56 PM
why would we trade for Prince since the hawks so not want to take on a long term deal in excess of 10 million. Prince is due 9.5 mill over the next 3 seasons. I would also like to point out that any trade would most likely include speedy which would give the hawks even more incentive to trade smith.
I wish we could keep him and the fact that we are not contenders is no reason to trade our 2nd leading scorer and leading shot blocker. I wish that Sund and the owners would realize that we are not going to build a contender in the 2010 free agent market. We need to keep our assets and make small moves up til then. Besides the bibby contract is more than enough to get a decent player.

i just said what i heard, the Hawks are interested in Tayshaun
dont ask me why, cuz honestly, idk why the hell they'd want him, because i seen him play, he's not nearly worth Josh Smith
it seems like your a hawks fan and i know its hard to accept that one of your best players is on the move, but dude, chill, he doesnt wanna come back, unless atlanta gives him what he wants, and so far, it seems like they dont want to give that to him

saint7888
07-27-2008, 01:15 PM
is felton a pg or sg if he is a pg were set even though i like felton skiles loves sessions

okafor would be a great Pf

Ok why would the Bobcats accept that offer? Charly is decent but he's not near Okafour.... and Felton is a best.... for MO?? Come'on spoken like a Bucks fan

2ed... I though this was about Josh Smith.... and if that's the case... I don't see a Howared for Smith Swop.

I think that ATL don't wanna pay him... so why would they want howared? I think IF they trade him there gonna want a few young Players that won't cost them a lot of money, but that have talent to devolpe and maybe some 1 that has a long term deal so that they don't need to worry about signing someone next offseason...

As far as tons of young talent goes.... I think he could fit in.... Memphis, Nets, Bobcats??S&T Smith for Okafour??....Clippers for Gordan(and no 1 else on the clippers IMO would even interest the hawks. Atlanta wants a new PG and NEEDS some big men... a ligit natural Center and a good young agressive PF

lakerboy
07-27-2008, 01:53 PM
I think Odom + Ariza (a poor man's Josh Smith) for Josh Smith should be fair.

Jay22Redd
07-27-2008, 02:00 PM
I really hope Josh Smith stays because I like the Atlanta Hawks and they wouldnt be the same without him.

FNM BOY
07-27-2008, 02:03 PM
^^Atlanta is a cheap franchise...they dont value winning...both Josh's will be gone who were apart of their playoff run...thats sad....with that cheap mentality they will never be a winning franchise...sad but true....the proof is in the pudding! Even if they clear cap space for 2010...what player in their right mind would wanna go there when they have proven not to take care of players who represent for them??

King Koopa
07-27-2008, 02:39 PM
Pistons and Mavs are the Front runners.

Melmeil23
07-27-2008, 02:42 PM
Uhhh maybe its not Detroit. The paper said and "Eastern Conference BIG DOG" rather than Western Conference "POWER". To me, a big dog sounds less than a POWER. Detroit (and Boston), then, can clearly be called a power rather than a big dog. And of the E. Conference's teams, probably only Orlando, Cleveland, Toronto, Philadelphia and Washington(when healthy) can be labeled a big dog rather than a power. Washington is full at the F position as is Cleveland. Toronto has Bosh and Bargnani as well as Parker and Kapono at the same positions that Smith plays. Philadelphia will have no money after re-signing Iguodala. Which leaves Orlando. Trading Turkoglu and Redick or Cook would make sense for both teams. Orlando would get a great player who would allow Lewis to return to his natural SF position. Atlanta gets to save money while getting a player(Redick) who has yet to show his potential. Cook's contract also will expire so they get his contract off, and find themselves in a great position to sign someone in the upcoming offseasons

The83rdWonder
07-27-2008, 02:47 PM
Which leaves Orlando. Trading Turkoglu and Redick or Cook would make sense for both teams. Orlando would get a great player who would allow Lewis to return to his natural SF position. Atlanta gets to save money while getting a player(Redick) who has yet to show his potential. Cook's contract also will expire so they get his contract off, and find themselves in a great position to sign someone in the upcoming offseasons

And then the Hawks can have an even bigger logjam at the 3!

Vidball
07-27-2008, 02:57 PM

Not true at all...BYC only counts as 50cents on the dollar to the team receiving the player. If Smith signed a deal starting at $10.5M and was packaged with Claxton (as that same article points out), those 2 would work for LO straight up. ATL could ship a bad contract out (2yr/$11M) and have an extra $6M in cap room next summer.
Also, Williams is the SF in ATL...they would like a PF in return. Howard and Prince wouldn't be ideal trade pieces (unless ATL think Bass would be a nice starting PF).
L.A. makes a lot of sense for all 3 parties. Smith would get his shot at some rings, the Lakers would get a solid defender that is a great cutter (important for the triangle), and ATL would get a starting PF that's a double-double machine & extra cap relief for next summer.

Vidball
07-27-2008, 03:01 PM

This can't help but make one wonder who exactly the teams are that Sekou Smith was referring to. Could the LA Lakers be the "Western Conference powerhouse" poised to make a play for Smith?

Well, the Lakers could offer Lamar Odom to the Hawks and take back Smith and point guard Speedy Claxton, provided the deal Smith signs with Atlanta before being traded is enough to match salaries given his BYC status. The move would give the Lakers the defensive presence it lacked in the Finals against the Boston Celtics, and it would also provide the Hawks with a good player and an expiring contract in Odom valued at over $14 million.

Camden Guru
07-27-2008, 03:17 PM

to be honest I believe that the hawks would take this deal. obviously we are moving backwards when we failed to resign childress. the hawks management also made contract talks hard when they failed to keep the joshes at their highest priority. The reason why we are rebuilding a rebuilding team is something i cannot explain but with bibby's contract coming off the books next season as well as odom's that will give us over 30 million in cap relief and potentially make ATL a very nice place to be in 2010.

nessa66666
07-27-2008, 03:33 PM
Think about it the Hawks are Cheap they wont pay Josh Smith 12 millions a season What made you think they will pay Tay 9.5 millions a season for 3 years.

The hawks will take the cheapest ofter after they think about it.

So they are intrested in Tay it mean nothing Since they are cheap like I said.

Vidball
07-27-2008, 03:35 PM
to be honest I believe that the hawks would take this deal. obviously we are moving backwards when we failed to resign childress. the hawks management also made contract talks hard when they failed to keep the joshes at their highest priority. The reason why we are rebuilding a rebuilding team is something i cannot explain but with bibby's contract coming off the books next season as well as odom's that will give us over 30 million in cap relief and potentially make ATL a very nice place to be in 2010.

Wouldn't getting a PF in return make the most sense as well? You are a Hawk faithful...who makes the most sense, LO (a PF with an expiring and the Lakers eating a bad contract), or a SF like Prince/Howard plus a smaller piece or two?

Cavs_Fan24
07-27-2008, 03:44 PM
Uhhh maybe its not Detroit. The paper said and "Eastern Conference BIG DOG" rather than Western Conference "POWER". To me, a big dog sounds less than a POWER. Detroit (and Boston), then, can clearly be called a power rather than a big dog. And of the E. Conference's teams, probably only Orlando, Cleveland, Toronto, Philadelphia and Washington(when healthy) can be labeled a big dog rather than a power. Washington is full at the F position as is Cleveland. Toronto has Bosh and Bargnani as well as Parker and Kapono at the same positions that Smith plays. Philadelphia will have no money after re-signing Iguodala. Which leaves Orlando. Trading Turkoglu and Redick or Cook would make sense for both teams. Orlando would get a great player who would allow Lewis to return to his natural SF position. Atlanta gets to save money while getting a player(Redick) who has yet to show his potential. Cook's contract also will expire so they get his contract off, and find themselves in a great position to sign someone in the upcoming offseasons

you know, until you brought Orlando up, i didn't even think of them
but now that you do mention it, it could be them, but i still think its unlikely, just cuz i can't see them being able to work something out

Camden Guru
07-27-2008, 03:49 PM
Wouldn't getting a PF in return make the most sense as well? You are a Hawk faithful...who makes the most sense, LO (a PF with an expiring and the Lakers eating a bad contract), or a SF like Prince/Howard plus a smaller piece or two?

to be honest a center. horford played well at the center spot but he could possibly play even better at the 4 spot. if we could somehow get a defensive minded center for smith, i would be happy but the ASG is a migraine and will not allow the hawks to succeed. They are more intrested in lamar odum than taking a player such as prince/howard. we are also thin on pf/c. the only players we have under contract that can play pf or center are horford/pachulia/Jones. we need big bodies.

lovingTO
07-27-2008, 03:51 PM
The eastern conference 'big dog' that makes the most sense to me is toronto. They need a good sf desperately. They have jamario moon starting..enough said. I think a deal like Bargnani + 2 1st rounders could get on the table. Whether you like the kid or not, he needs out of toronto and he has a boatload of potential. Atlanta would have him starting at the 4 which he is more comfortable with and he would potentially blossum.

Edit: The raptors would also take on speedys contract and possibly throw in Kapono or an expiring I think.

Camden Guru
07-27-2008, 04:01 PM
The eastern conference 'big dog' that makes the most sense to me is toronto. They need a good sf desperately. They have jamario moon starting..enough said. I think a deal like Bargnani + 2 1st rounders could get on the table. Whether you like the kid or not, he needs out of toronto and he has a boatload of potential. Atlanta would have him starting at the 4 which he is more comfortable with and he would potentially blossum.

Edit: The raptors would also take on speedys contract and possibly throw in Kapono or an expiring I think.

if any team is willing to trade for smith they will also have to take on speedy's contract. Speedy has done nothing in his two years with the club and with acie law finally healthy we have no need for speedy.

About the raps trade, smith wants 12 million so you would have to trade over about 12-14 million in contracts to get smith. the only thing about BArgs and Kapono is that it makes our team soft. we would no longer be competitve and most likely i would be starting the 2009 nba draft thread by the start of the season. You got to love being a hawks fan:o:o

lovingTO
07-27-2008, 04:16 PM
if any team is willing to trade for smith they will also have to take on speedy's contract. Speedy has done nothing in his two years with the club and with acie law finally healthy we have no need for speedy.

About the raps trade, smith wants 12 million so you would have to trade over about 12-14 million in contracts to get smith. the only thing about BArgs and Kapono is that it makes our team soft. we would no longer be competitve and most likely i would be starting the 2009 nba draft thread by the start of the season. You got to love being a hawks fan:o:o

Let's be honest here, if the hawks trade smith, they're most likely not going to compete for a playoff birth next year.

Master Mind
07-27-2008, 04:18 PM

Soft? Not really...Better shooting team? Most Definitely!...Bibby, Johnson, Kapono, Bargnani coupled with Al Horford and Marvin Williams would give ATL a nice inside out game...

But if I was ATL I would want Jamario Moon in return with Barganani or Kapono for Josh Smith...

hyp21
07-27-2008, 05:55 PM
Let's be honest here, if the hawks trade smith, they're most likely not going to compete for a playoff birth next year.

Not true if the right deal comes about. SOMEONE of course is gonna have to take on Speedy's contract in the deal (which from what I hear he's playing healthy and pretty well in summer league.....could be a nice trade piece if he STAYS healthy) I don't see Toronto being an E.C. "big dog" I'm thinking more along the lines of the Pistons willing to trade. However, I see the Tayshaun thing being far fetched. I'd imagine the Pistons would much rather prefer dishing Sheed and Billups. I'd much rather try to get Brandon Bass/Josh How out of Dallas' hands. That would be good enough to be a playoff team imo. J Smoove is an excellent player but the Hawks lack offensive power. Josh Howard and B.B. could change that and still keep the D in tact.

lakersrock
07-27-2008, 06:48 PM

If you had any sense, you would know that if he is traded BEFORE the BYC kicks in, it works like normal. :rolleyes: Don't get pissy with me when I know what I'm talking about.

Typical Lakers hater....

ugafan
07-27-2008, 07:43 PM
Hawks should just pay him, this kid is gonna be great. They're cheaping out on their most valuable player and they'll be burdened with another decade stuck in the lottery.

I'm close to crying.

#1Mavericksfan
07-27-2008, 08:16 PM
Not true if the right deal comes about. SOMEONE of course is gonna have to take on Speedy's contract in the deal (which from what I hear he's playing healthy and pretty well in summer league.....could be a nice trade piece if he STAYS healthy) I don't see Toronto being an E.C. "big dog" I'm thinking more along the lines of the Pistons willing to trade. However, I see the Tayshaun thing being far fetched. I'd imagine the Pistons would much rather prefer dishing Sheed and Billups. I'd much rather try to get Brandon Bass/Josh How out of Dallas' hands. That would be good enough to be a playoff team imo. J Smoove is an excellent player but the Hawks lack offensive power. Josh Howard and B.B. could change that and still keep the D in tact.

Thank you! that trade would work out for both the Mavs and the Hawks...Bass and Howard could be your starters and marvin williams could be your 6th man off the bench, the Mavs would get another guys that could run with Jason Kidd and would give the Mavs a defense minded guy.

Bibby
Johnson
Howard
Bass
Horford

The Hawks would have a playoff team that could compete in the east.