PDA

View Full Version : Keep the hand off the panic button

Towelie
07-26-2008, 09:43 PM
Guys you know I'm the first to complain about the Sox, but you know what were in a very good situation. Yes, we might get swept by the Yanks tomorrow, but we have more home games this half and we have a easier teams to play.

We just got Ortiz back, and if Manny is gone were gonna get something in return for him. I don't want us to make much moves at the deadline cause last I checked we have a championship team.

Just Relax guys.

Tragedy
07-26-2008, 09:55 PM
I'd say I'm still relaxing, but I'm certainly a bit frustrated. I don't comprehend why the Yankees continue to dominate us during the later portions of the season.

All I know is, I do not want to see them in the ALCS this year, because we will not win.

BobsYourUncle
07-26-2008, 10:00 PM
the sweep will go down tomorrow and tragedy you are correct, if both boston and NY get into playoffs and it comes down to yanks sawx the yanks will dominate, but it is stilla few months till it comes to that and dont boston and ny close the season out against each other in boston??

bagwell368
07-26-2008, 10:13 PM
I say the Sox stand pat this year.

If we don't make the playoffs, or fall during them the excuse is clear: Ortiz out (and not the same hitter when in), and Manny being Manny is no longer benign, it hurt the team. This way we scapegoat Manny on his way out of town, and everything gets easier to do PR wise.

Besides there are not that many helpful pieces to trade for, and they'll cost a lot, so since we like our kids, keep them. I mean Bucholz for Fuentes is a joke.

Look for that catcher, corner OF, and SS via free agency. The Sox are in the thick for years going forward, can't win every year....

Tragedy
07-26-2008, 10:15 PM
I say the Sox stand pat this year.

If we don't make the playoffs, or fall during them the excuse is clear: Ortiz out (and not the same hitter when in), and Manny being Manny is no longer benign, it hurt the team. This way we scapegoat Manny on his way out of town, and everything gets easier to do PR wise.

Besides there are not that many helpful pieces to trade for, and they'll cost a lot, so since we like our kids, keep them. I mean Bucholz for Fuentes is a joke.

Look for that catcher, corner OF, and SS via free agency. The Sox are in the thick for years going forward, can't win every year....

SS should be an easy decision, as Lowrie continues to do a solid job on both ends of the baseball. C is going to be a tough, tough decision, though. I don't feel like Varitek wants to retire at seasons end, and it'd be a PR nightmare to let him walk and play for any other team. But, his production is AWFUL, and I don't know who we could have him platoon with.

Corner OF shouldn't be THAT difficult. Right now alone, Matt Holliday is on the block. He's likely to be there at seasons end, and he'd be more than a "suitable" replacement for Ramirez.

BobsYourUncle
07-26-2008, 10:22 PM
holliday is an upgrade defensively for sure but i feel would definately be an offensive downgrade

CubsGirl
07-26-2008, 10:25 PM
Can you go make this same thread in the Cubs forum? Thanks.

Tragedy
07-26-2008, 10:26 PM
Can you go make this same thread in the Cubs forum? Thanks.
What, so it can get around 1,700 posts in a matter of seconds? No thank you!

holliday is an upgrade defensively for sure but i feel would definately be an offensive downgrade
There are not many players that can replace Ramirez's production that are actual realistic trade/FA targets. Holliday is the best option, of those.

Towelie
07-26-2008, 10:36 PM
tex or holliday both good options. Holliday will flourish in Boston.

-Lavigne43-
07-26-2008, 10:49 PM
I don't understand why you guys want Holliday so bad. The guy is awful away from Coors, not to mention he will cost a ton.

CubsGirl
07-26-2008, 11:02 PM
What, so it can get around 1,700 posts in a matter of seconds? No thank you!

There are not many players that can replace Ramirez's production that are actual realistic trade/FA targets. Holliday is the best option, of those.
But but but no one will stop making stupid threads because we fell out of first place for two seconds :cry:

We haven't even fallen out of first yet! We're tied for first, so obviously our season is over. It's just science. Ugh.

Tragedy
07-26-2008, 11:38 PM
I don't understand why you guys want Holliday so bad. The guy is awful away from Coors, not to mention he will cost a ton.
I think Holliday's swing fits Fenway down to a tee. The home/road splits are clear and evident, there is no doubt about it. But what Holliday can and does do in Coors is close to what I think he could do in a park where LF is 310 (Which is a bit of a stretch, too).

nyyfan4life
07-26-2008, 11:56 PM
I think Adam Dunn for the Sox would be a good guy to go after. He will play in Fenway and thats a pretty easy LF to play (playing the monster at times gets tricky though), he has a great eye at the plate and will only cost money which the Sox have a lot of especially if Manny goes elsewhere.

BostonFan 53
07-27-2008, 12:13 AM

Horrible? I don't think so. Although, he's not as good as he is at Coors:

a .307/.406/.460/.866 line is certainly not horrible.

Lord Byron 34
07-27-2008, 12:45 AM
Horrible? I don't think so. Although, he's not as good as he is at Coors:

a .307/.406/.460/.866 line is certainly not horrible.

Certainly not. Manny is .298/.398/.524. Considering that much of Holliday's road numbers come from the spacious parks of the NL West, that is not horrible. Playing his home games at Fenway, Holliday could easily duplicate Manny's production. And Coors is not nearly the launching pad it once was, with the humidor and such, some of the discrepancy in Holliday's splits could just be the comforts of playing at home.

But before we all get too excited (as we as Sox fans tend to do) we need to remember that if the Rockies are asking for Buchholz in exchange for 2+ months of Brian Fuentes, they will be asking for A LOT for Matt Holliday, and they are not going to lower the price because of his home-road splits. You could be looking at a Buchholz-Lowrie-Crisp-Bowden, Bartolo Colon to the Expos type package. It could be better for the Sox to just pay Teixeira Manny's $20 mil for the next 6 or so years and move Youk to LF. And by letting Manny walk as a FA, they would get 2 1st rd picks.

PapelbonLester
07-27-2008, 01:16 AM
I think Adam Dunn for the Sox would be a good guy to go after. He will play in Fenway and thats a pretty easy LF to play (playing the monster at times gets tricky though), he has a great eye at the plate and will only cost money which the Sox have a lot of especially if Manny goes elsewhere.

GREAT EYE...hahaha i like him but hes a homer/strikeout type dude. .220 with 30 homers dont do it for me.

nyyfan4life
07-27-2008, 01:21 AM
GREAT EYE...hahaha i like him but hes a homer/strikeout type dude. .220 with 30 homers dont do it for me.

Hes a career .250 hitter and averages about 40 HR's per. Also BA is an overrated stat. OBP is much better and Dunn gets on base at a near .400 clip.

BostonFan 53
07-27-2008, 01:32 AM
Not a huge Dunn fan. His K numbers are alarming and that will frustrate the hell out of Tito.

Tragedy
07-27-2008, 02:39 AM
Dunn - Career OPS+ of over 130, and gets on base roughly 38% of the time for his career.

Yeah, I'd take him.

lil'papi
07-27-2008, 09:35 AM
^^ Exactly can't score if you are not on base. He gets on base....
He'd be down on my list though.

Towelie
07-27-2008, 11:46 AM
Holliday would be idea. I'd wonder what the offer would be like

gcoll
07-27-2008, 06:31 PM
Holliday would obviously be the best available replacement for Manny.

We may be able to swing that type of thing, if we get a 3rd team involved. I don't see the Rockies taking on Manny's salary.

And Holliday's road numbers aren't that great...but he's a right handed power hitter coming to Fenway. I can't imagine that he'd have that much trouble replicating his Coor's numbers at Fenway.

eta: About the "don't panic" thing. I'm not...at all. I am very calm.

We're 1.5 back. When Ortiz went down...I thought we were gonna really struggle. For the most part, we haven't.

For some reason, the Yankees always seem to do well against us.

bosox3431
07-27-2008, 08:18 PM
Certainly not. Manny is .298/.398/.524. Considering that much of Holliday's road numbers come from the spacious parks of the NL West, that is not horrible. Playing his home games at Fenway, Holliday could easily duplicate Manny's production. And Coors is not nearly the launching pad it once was, with the humidor and such, some of the discrepancy in Holliday's splits could just be the comforts of playing at home.

But before we all get too excited (as we as Sox fans tend to do) we need to remember that if the Rockies are asking for Buchholz in exchange for 2+ months of Brian Fuentes, they will be asking for A LOT for Matt Holliday, and they are not going to lower the price because of his home-road splits. You could be looking at a Buchholz-Lowrie-Crisp-Bowden, Bartolo Colon to the Expos type package. It could be better for the Sox to just pay Teixeira Manny's $20 mil for the next 6 or so years and move Youk to LF. And by letting Manny walk as a FA, they would get 2 1st rd picks.

Honestly, I think they would trade him for as much as they could before letting him walk. Letting him walk makes it very likely he's a Yankee next season, and we do not want that.

Im kind of starting to change the way I feel about getting Holliday, Im worried about what his production outside of fenway would be like, this team already blows on the road, so I dont see adding someone who cant hit on the road would help. But I trust Theo, so maybe we can get in a 3 way deal wih some other team to help lighten the amunt of spects it would cost, with Manny going to the third team. Some of the other choices arent to bad either.

Order id like to see some of the options

1. Tex
2. Dunn
3. Holliday

I could go either way with Dunn and Holliday, but Dunn will only cost money in the offseason.

Towelie
07-27-2008, 09:13 PM
Why is nobody talking Tex over Dunn?

bosox3431
07-27-2008, 09:21 PM
Why is nobody talking Tex over Dunn?

Id take Tex over dunn, with them wanting to movie Manny, I thonk we can some how get Tex without moving Youk to. The problem then comes to whicg GG firstbasemen do you move to LF. And who will the third team be that gets involved, as the braves surely dont want to pay Manny 20mil when they can just keep Tex for that.

Lord Byron 34
07-27-2008, 09:47 PM
Dunn would make the middle of the lineup quite heavy on lefties, with Ortiz, Dunn and Drew. I would prefer Teixeira or Holliday. Also, Dunn is a low batting average guy, and Ortiz seems to be headed that way as he ages.

So my order would be
1. Holliday
2. Teixeira
3. Dunn

Holliday over Teixeira because he plays LF, and so Youk could stay at 1B, and both Holliday and Ortiz could play in games at NL parks.

RedSoxtober
07-27-2008, 11:23 PM

Tired of finding the post to respond to this question. If you throw out his first two seasons his numbers are not that bad. Like most, he had to learn to hit on the road. His road production since the start of 2006 (extrapolated to a full season) is roughly on par with what we've gotten from Manny over the same span (average). More importantly, his road production has continued to get better every year.

The downside is that his contract is up next year, Boras is his agent, and two OFers in NYY's OF are also finishing their deals (Damon, Matsui). With those factors I'm pretty confident he goes FA after next season. I'd take him if we could sign him to a 2-3yr extension.

97'bulls
07-27-2008, 11:28 PM
I can't relax until the Crankmees are NUMERICALLY eliminated. Until them I'm not comfortable.

Tankjeep
07-29-2008, 08:28 AM
I can't relax until the Crankmees are NUMERICALLY eliminated. Until them I'm not comfortable.

ditto.

TotallySox9097
07-29-2008, 10:44 PM
Real quick. We all need to calm down. No need to panic sit back watch the game and when were sitting around in november with a parade going through Boston we will look back and laugh.