PDA

View Full Version : 10 Greatest Centers of all time

Lakersfan2483
07-26-2008, 09:42 PM
How exactly do you compare players from different eras? How do you compare players who play on different teams and have different roles. Do you just look at who has the most championships or the most talent? The best stats? Well I have my own formula.

I look at a combination of all the things that I previously mentioned, and I look at the circumstances that they played in. I also look at their whole body of work for their entire career. One way that I compare two players is I ask myself if you switched the two players so that they had to play in the other players circumstance would they do worse or better? I also ask myself if each player had the same amount of talent around them and they played against each other who would win? Its all about winning. Simply having stats but never winning does not impress me. I weigh all these factors and I come to my conclusion. So with that said I will give you what I believe are the top 10 centers of alltime in order.

1. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
2. Shaquille O'neal
3. Bill Russell
4. Wilt Chamberlain
5. Hakeem Olajuwon
6. Moses Malone
7. David Robinson
8. Patrick Ewing
9. Willis Reed
10. George Mikan

BADizzleBoY
07-26-2008, 09:47 PM
O'neal should be number 4, behind abdul-jabbar,russel, wilt

BALLER71
07-26-2008, 10:10 PM
O'neal should be number 4, behind abdul-jabbar,russel, wilt

Shaq as a center has averaged 29.7 and 29.2 PPG in a season.
I'd take him over Wilt and Russell.

GregOden#1
07-26-2008, 10:17 PM
Shaq as a center has averaged 29.7 and 29.2 PPG in a season.
I'd take him over Wilt and Russell.

Wilt averaged 50 points in a season... That's almost more than Shaq's two highest seasons put together...

spurhead
07-26-2008, 10:18 PM
yea its tough since all players came from different eras.
i look at the situation and competition level for these players.
i look at shaq and when he was in his prime , he is argubably the best center putting up massive numbers on both offense and defensive side.
obviously during wilts time, competition lvl wasnt as high as it is today, but considering the stats he put up , its incredible
and for bill russell to be 9 championships ? is incredible
and kareem was magical nuff said

my top 5 would be
kareem
wilt
russell
shaq
hakeem

any of the top 4 players can be switched around cuz its really close with hakeem coming 5th

GregOden#1
07-26-2008, 10:21 PM
Shaq was playing Rik Smits and an old broken down Mutombo. Wilt faced Russell and Kareem. The competition Shaq faced as a C was a joke compared to the C's Wilt went up against.

arlubas
07-26-2008, 10:30 PM
Shaq was playing Rik Smits and an old broken down Mutombo. Wilt faced Russell and Kareem. The competition Shaq faced as a C was a joke compared to the C's Wilt went up against.

Wilt was playing against midgets compared to him for a pretty considerable ammount of his career, so yeah... And Shaq was going against David Robinson, Hakeem Olajuwon, Patrick Ewing, Brad Daugherty etc. but somehow these guys didn't make your list... :rolleyes: Unless you're talking about his Finals opponents which still is a very small sample of his playing from those beast like seasons from him. Not saying he is better than Wilt but he certainly wasn't playing against scrubs like you're implying with your post.

stawka
07-26-2008, 10:32 PM
edit: double post

stawka
07-26-2008, 10:35 PM

Shaq faces a prime Hakeem, prime Ewing, prime Mutombo, prime Robinson all during Shaq's first few years. WTF are you talking about?

We might as well say Jordan isn't the GOAT because he faced an old Magic and an old Bird. Definitely one of your worst posts to date.

MG3
07-26-2008, 10:44 PM
All these guys in their prime?? Shaq would DOMINATE down low...no one was as physically tough as he is and if I had to choose one to be my center...I think it starts with Shaq

arlubas
07-26-2008, 10:48 PM
All these guys in their prime?? Shaq would DOMINATE down low...no one was as physically tough as he is and if I had to choose one to be my center...I think it starts with Shaq

Hakeem was pretty damn unstoppable in his prime plus he outplayed a (young I have to admit) Shaq back in the 95 finals.

Seriously Olajuwon played as good as any NBA player I've ever watched back in his prime, the dude was a machine!

GregOden#1
07-26-2008, 11:05 PM
Wilt was playing against midgets compared to him for a pretty considerable ammount of his career, so yeah... And Shaq was going against David Robinson, Hakeem Olajuwon, Patrick Ewing, Brad Daugherty etc. but somehow these guys didn't make your list... :rolleyes: Unless you're talking about his Finals opponents which still is a very small sample of his playing from those beast like seasons from him. Not saying he is better than Wilt but he certainly wasn't playing against scrubs like you're implying with your post.

He was playing against scrubs compared to what Wilt faced. Drob and Hakeem, that's two great centers in a 29 team league and Shaq only faced them in their prime for 2-3 years and Shaq was far from his prime then, when he was in his prime he was playing an old Mutombo and Rik Smits.

And Wilt is 7'3 in modern measurements, everyone would be a midget compared to him today.

KG#1
07-27-2008, 12:19 AM
george mikan should be higher he was the first great centre and revolutionized the game all of these players idolize him

goku
07-27-2008, 12:47 AM
best career
1.russell
2.wilt
3.kareem
4.shaq
5.hakeem
6.ewing

skill set
1 hakeem
2.kareem
3.shaq
4.wilt
5.ewing
6.russell

bogdanrom
07-27-2008, 01:23 AM
Shaq. The most dominating player ever. To me the list goes.
1. Wilt
2. Kareem
3. Hakeem
4. Shaq
5. George Muresan( I'm Romanian what do you except)

Indi23
07-27-2008, 01:30 AM
Wilt averaged 50 points in a season... That's almost more than Shaq's two highest seasons put together...

No three in the key hey could stand there all day like he owned the place.

but still impressive to accomplish with his horrid free throw %

BigSteve
07-27-2008, 01:34 AM
I think Wilt has to be number one just because of the fact that he was so dominate they had to change the rules to make it fair. How many other players can you say that about? Also, while I think Kareem was great I don't think during his dominate years you would say he was more dominate than Shaq in his. Only thing about Kareem was he stayed great longer than possibly any center. Here is my top 5.

1) Wilt
2) Shaq
3) Kareem
4) Russell
5) Mikan

GregOden#1
07-27-2008, 01:35 AM
No three in the key hey could stand there all day like he owned the place.

but still impressive to accomplish with his horrid free throw %

It wasn't needed then since most points came very early in the shot clock. He'd run down the court, get the ball, and score in about 8-9 seconds of the shotclock.

Edit: You're thinking of defensive 3 seconds anyway, which was introduced in 66-67, if anything that makes it harder for Chamberlain to score. Not to mention the rules were set up for the defensive player back then, not the opposite way today.

SwaggaIke
07-27-2008, 01:47 AM
If Shaq could stand in the lane all day, he would have averaged 50 easily in his prime. No joke.

GregOden#1
07-27-2008, 01:53 AM
If Shaq could stand in the lane all day, he would have averaged 50 easily in his prime. No joke.

If he weighed 250 instead of 300, worked on a post game beyond just dunking the ball, played on a team that shot 30% more shots than the Golden State Warriors and was the only star on his team then he'd probably get around 45 points per game, which is amazing no doubt, but its still not as good as Chamberlain.

He MIGHT average more if there was no 3 second rule, but Chamberlain played with it, so its pretty irrelevent.

MOHA
07-27-2008, 02:00 AM
Patrick Ewing. GO KNICKS

SwaggaIke
07-27-2008, 02:01 AM
If he weighed 250 instead of 300, worked on a post game beyond just dunking the ball, played on a team that shot 30% more shots than the Golden State Warriors and was the only star on his team then he'd probably get around 45 points per game, which is amazing no doubt, but its still not as good as Chamberlain.

He MIGHT average more if there was no 3 second rule, but Chamberlain played with it, so its pretty irrelevent.

I hate you GregOden. Such a knowledgeable bastard.:D

ARMIN12NBA
07-27-2008, 02:54 AM
1. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
2. Wilt Chamberlain
3. Bill Russell
4. Hakeem Olajuwon
5. Shaquille O'neal
6. Moses Malone
7. David Robinson
8. George Mikan
9. Patrick Ewing