PDA

View Full Version : Mariotti on Cuban Owning the Cubs

BUD Bleachers
07-26-2008, 09:32 PM
Here's the Article (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/1076445,mariotti072708.article)

cubsneedmiracle
07-26-2008, 09:41 PM
Pretty much the same thing we've been hearing for awhile. Good to hear that he's gonna be at another game soon though.

Wrigleyboy25
07-26-2008, 09:54 PM
Great article.

CubsGirl
07-26-2008, 09:57 PM
Great article.
I want to read it because I really want Cuban to own the Cubs, but I refuse to read any spew Mariotti writes.

KH12
07-26-2008, 10:08 PM
Sell to CUBAN!

Max Power
07-26-2008, 10:49 PM
Selig is a truly despicable creature. If he and his butt-budides keep out the highest bidder who has absolutely no criminal history, has documented business success, and is considered an innovative mind over personal biases, it is nothing short of a conspiracy.
And I hope Zell drags this out through in courts airs all of the dirty laundy of this used car salesmen and his scumbag cronies.

CuseDude87
07-26-2008, 11:36 PM
Selig is a truly despicable creature. If he and his butt-budides keep out the highest bidder who has absolutely no criminal history, has documented business success, and is considered an innovative mind over personal biases, it is nothing short of a conspiracy.
And I hope Zell drags this out through in courts airs all of the dirty laundy of this used car salesmen and his scumbag cronies.

Agreed.

hoosiercubsfan
07-26-2008, 11:50 PM

I was thinking the same thing. If they do screw him out of the bid if he is the highest I hope like hell that they run this all through the press. That they tell the world how it really is with Selig. That would damage the thing that Selig holds most dear his reputation. You can bet that if Zell gets screwed over by Selig he will not go out quietly with the huge bills he has to pay from the Tribune. I would love to see the anti trust get yanked from them after such a stink is made about it if it happens this way.

Max Power
07-27-2008, 12:01 AM
I was thinking the same thing. If they do screw him out of the bid if he is the highest I hope like hell that they run this all through the press. That they tell the world how it really is with Selig. That would damage the thing that Selig holds most dear his reputation. You can bet that if Zell gets screwed over by Selig he will not go out quietly with the huge bills he has to pay from the Tribune. I would love to see the anti trust get yanked from them after such a stink is made about it if it happens this way.

Yes. If anyone forces the issue, it has to be Zell, with Cuban in a supporting role. And he seems like the kind of guy who is going to do what is best for his shareholders and his bank account and he isn't going to let someone else tell him that he has to take an offer millions of dollars less than than the best.

Selig's worst nightmare on the issue came true when his frat buddy, Canning, lowballed on his bid.
Now he has to deal with the situation without his handpicked front runner, who he could minipulate, and with Zell who is a pretty crazy SOB. This could get real interesting.

hoosiercubsfan
07-27-2008, 12:12 AM
Yes. If anyone forces the issue, it has to be Zell, with Cuban in a supporting role. And he seems like the kind of guy who is going to do what is best for his shareholders and his bank account and he isn't going to let someone else tell him that he has to take an offer millions of dollars less than than the best.

Selig's worst nightmare on the issue came true when his frat buddy, Canning, lowballed on his bid.
Now he has to deal with the situation without his handpicked front runner, who he could minipulate, and with Zell who is a pretty crazy SOB. This could get real interesting.

I absolutely hope it does. With Selig owning the Brewers for so many years i'm sure he would like nothing more than to stick it to the Cubs. And he knows that if Cuban is the owner he will do a better job at running the organization than the Trib did for the better part of the last 20 years. With the amount of money being made on this team there is no reason it took this long to put a winning product on the field.

cubsfreak19
07-27-2008, 12:16 AM
Well Rick Telander said it best. "And the dunces who think baseball owners never would approve Cuban because he's a loose bolt are themselves nuts. If Cubes bids $1.4 billion, $1.6 billion -- crazy money, but still a deal -- every franchise in MLB goes up at least $25 million in value."

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/telander/1074181,CST-SPT-rick25.article

CuseDude87
07-27-2008, 12:22 AM

For once, I may actually like Zell, but in a way I never expected.

CuseDude87
07-27-2008, 12:25 AM
Well Rick Telander said it best. "And the dunces who think baseball owners never would approve Cuban because he's a loose bolt are themselves nuts. If Cubes bids $1.4 billion, $1.6 billion -- crazy money, but still a deal -- every franchise in MLB goes up at least $25 million in value."

Money talks. And for once, I'm glad it does.

Max Power
07-27-2008, 12:32 AM

I saw that. It makes sense, but I have no idea what kind of mind meld Selig has over some of the owners.
I am pretty sure the likes of the Stienbrenners will do what's right and most profitable over what they are "reccommended" by Bud. But Selig definantely has some kool-aid drinking followers like his boyfriend Reinsdorf, the weasel he fixed to become Boston's owner, and he now has Baltimore in his back pocket with MacPhailure running the show. The small market panhandlers should want the richest owners possible, but who knows how Selig has brainwashed them.