PDA

View Full Version : Dream Team vs. Current Team

phlp_bj
07-26-2008, 07:59 PM
I know that the dream is, and will be the best team ever assembled. But i was wondering how they would stack up against this team now.

So i want you to match a dream team player with a player on team usa now. you could match them by personalities, style, etc...

The Rosters
‘92 Olympic Team - Charles Barkley, Larry Bird, Clyde Drexler, Patrick Ewing, Earvin “Magic” Johnson, Jr., Michael Jordan, Christian Laettner, Karl Malone, Chris Mullin, Scottie Pippen, David Robinson, John Stockton
‘08 Olympic Team - Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant, Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, LeBron James, Jason Kidd, Tayshaun Prince, Michael Redd, Deron Williams, Carlos Boozer, Chris Bosh, Dwyane Wade

the only comparisons i see are between jordan/kobe and bird/redd.

so tell me who else are similar.

black1605
07-26-2008, 08:01 PM
please do not compare the one dimensional play of Redd to the multifaceted game that Larry Legend has

Westbrook36
07-26-2008, 08:01 PM
Dream Team would win..

ee
07-26-2008, 08:02 PM
I don't know, these guys are certainly special.....They need to win the gold 1st though before being compared.......

LayZbone
07-26-2008, 08:10 PM
The group of guys we have this year are really special....but I agree, we should wait until they win the gold medal before we start comparing them to the dream team.

black1605
07-26-2008, 08:11 PM
win the gold AND decimate every single opponent mercilessly

DODGERS&LAKERS
07-26-2008, 08:12 PM
You cant compare players who's legacies have been set and done with most guys who have not even hit their prime yet. When just looking at the names of Jordan, Johnson and Bird you know all that they have done and accomplished. When looking at todays players, we dont know how good they will really be. Lebron might go on to win 7 championships and be known as the greatest player ever when his time is done. Then his match up vs who ever you want to match him up against on the dream team will now favor todays players. But right now knowing what I know about the dream team and what I dont know about todays team. I go with the dream team

ink
07-26-2008, 08:16 PM
The group of guys we have this year are really special....but I agree, we should wait until they win the gold medal before we start comparing them to the dream team.

I agree. Plus the opposition is stronger now than it was then.

JOSETHEALLSTAR
07-26-2008, 09:11 PM
after they win the gold medal we should start to compare .

_Sn1P3r_
07-26-2008, 09:13 PM
I agree. Plus the opposition is stronger now than it was then.

Yes it is. We'll see how this team fairs against them.

BADizzleBoY
07-26-2008, 09:14 PM
I think we are better.

Max Power
07-26-2008, 09:15 PM
The Dream Team was the greatest collection of basketball talent ever assembled on one team.
This team isn't.

Lakersfan2483
07-26-2008, 09:16 PM
The original dream team would beat the current U.S. team, the original team featured some of the greatest players ever. That team had size, Ewing, Robinson, Malone. They had great all around play in MJ, Magic, Charles, Malone, Stockton, and Bird. The Dream Team is the greatest team ever assembled, a nightmare for any team.

Lakersfan2483
07-26-2008, 09:19 PM
That team also had the versatility of Pippen and a sharp shooter in Mullin. It also featured Clyde's high fly act and scoring.

KillerB
07-26-2008, 09:27 PM
It isn't even kind of close...not even a little and if you think that jordan magic and bird would let there team lose you don't know anything about basketball...they wanted to win more than any 3 players in history...plus throw in the difference in big men Karl Malone, David Robinson in his prime who to me is the best center of all time he is like a more polished Dwight Howard, Charles Barkley, and Patrick Ewing(overrated) it is laughable to think the bigs from this team could hold there jock straps...i mean Carlos Boozer vs Karl Malone or Chris Bosh vs Sir Charles is so one sided to favor the dream team its no competition...plus D-Wade is a one hit wonder who'll break down every other year...dream team all the way...it's a landslide

jumpman52313
07-26-2008, 10:02 PM
this argument is a lot closer than what ppl think it is...dream team was something special n blew every team out...but dont forget that fact that international basketball back then was weak...things have changed a lot in todays game..the bigs on the dream team are tough but we dont even have all the bigs on this team (Duncan, Garnett, Amare,) i think if u add Garnett n Duncan its a lil different...dont get me wrong dream team would prolly come out wit the victory but i dont think ppl are even thinking its close...the match ups are actually pretty close besides a few cuz of the big men..but add two of the greatest power forwards of all time n its a lil closer im my opinion n of course this is just everybody's opinions cuz it cant ever be proven..

look at the matchups (if duncan n garnett played)
PG- Magic - Kidd
SG- Jordan - Kobe
SF- Bird - lebron
PF- Malone - Garnett
C- Robinson - Duncan

if u ask me the only real advantage i would go is magic n kidd other than that its close at every position

dream team is obviously better with usa without duncan garnett or amare cuz of there lack of big men...but add them n its closer than what ppl realy think...key thing is competition in todays international game is a lot stronger than in 92'

conway429
07-26-2008, 11:40 PM
^^ yeah, it's still not even close.
He's not asking who everyone thinks would win anyways... He's saying to compare styles of play, and outrageous personalities and whatnot...

Max Power
07-27-2008, 01:28 AM
this argument is a lot closer than what ppl think it is...dream team was something special n blew every team out...but dont forget that fact that international basketball back then was weak...things have changed a lot in todays game..the bigs on the dream team are tough but we dont even have all the bigs on this team (Duncan, Garnett, Amare,) i think if u add Garnett n Duncan its a lil different...dont get me wrong dream team would prolly come out wit the victory but i dont think ppl are even thinking its close...the match ups are actually pretty close besides a few cuz of the big men..but add two of the greatest power forwards of all time n its a lil closer im my opinion n of course this is just everybody's opinions cuz it cant ever be proven..

look at the matchups (if duncan n garnett played)
PG- Magic - Kidd
SG- Jordan - Kobe
SF- Bird - lebron
PF- Malone - Garnett
C- Robinson - Duncan

if u ask me the only real advantage i would go is magic n kidd other than that its close at every position

dream team is obviously better with usa without duncan garnett or amare cuz of there lack of big men...but add them n its closer than what ppl realy think...key thing is competition in todays international game is a lot stronger than in 92'

If you're going to change the rosters, then add Shaq to the DreamTeam. Laettner was chosen as college rep for reasons God only knows.
And you are completely ignoring the depth of the real Dream Team. The games wouldn't consist of five man rosters.

The '92 team would beat this team quite easily, on a consistent basis.

JordansBulls
07-27-2008, 10:03 AM
You cant compare players who's legacies have been set and done with most guys who have not even hit their prime yet. When just looking at the names of Jordan, Johnson and Bird you know all that they have done and accomplished. When looking at todays players, we dont know how good they will really be. Lebron might go on to win 7 championships and be known as the greatest player ever when his time is done. Then his match up vs who ever you want to match him up against on the dream team will now favor todays players. But right now knowing what I know about the dream team and what I dont know about todays team. I go with the dream team

QFT

SportsFan1988
07-27-2008, 09:17 PM
The way players are trained now with there new style of play would just be too much for the dream team, IMO.

sanfranfan1210
07-27-2008, 11:13 PM
Dream Team would win

Sir Charles
08-14-2008, 09:36 PM
Barkley would destroy any PF guarding him with a Zone Defense and no Handchecking

REKAL
08-17-2008, 09:04 PM
Dream Team vs. Redeem Team

The Redeem Team are playing much tougher competition and are doing pretty well, but when you compare them head to head

Magic > Kidd
Jordan > Bryant
Bird > James
Malone > anthony
Robinson > Howard