PDA

View Full Version : Theo Epstein willing to trade Manny Ramirez

CuseDude87
07-26-2008, 07:04 PM
I hate to do this, but I gotta know. Does anyone think the Cubs should trade for Manny Ramirez and put Fukudome in center? It'd show that the front office is certainly going for the championship this year. And with our recent offensive slump, I can't say I'd hate the idea, as long as we weren't killed in the deal.

GM Theo Epstein told FOX broadcaster Tim McCarver before Saturday's game that the Red Sox will make an effort to deal Manny Ramirez if he waives his no-trade clause.

Does Manny really want out of Boston, where he's on a very good team with fans that adore him and management that has been willing to go out of its way to accomodate him? Or is he just being a drama queen? The Red Sox are leaving it to him to make the next move. If Manny truly wants a trade, then the Red Sox could try to get something done and maybe pick up Adam Dunn as a replacement. The Mets are the one team that would make real sense as a destination. Even if the Angels wanted him, the Red Sox probably wouldn't want to send him to a team they could well end up facing in October.

rotoworld.com

jiggin
07-26-2008, 07:09 PM
the cubs don't have to go out and trade the entire farm system to get Ramirez (who is not under contract for next year) to prove they want to win it all, they did that in spending 300+ million over the last 2 off-seasons.

behindmydesk
07-26-2008, 07:09 PM
Wow, that's interesting. Quickly thinking, that it will cost some very good specs, atleast 2 because he's a type A free agent, it would def help the offense. Probably have to move Sori to RF. But who knows, i'd deal with manny's defense in RF, to add him to the lineup.

CuseDude87
07-26-2008, 07:17 PM
Wow, that's interesting. Quickly thinking, that it will cost some very good specs, atleast 2 because he's a type A free agent, it would def help the offense. Probably have to move Sori to RF. But who knows, i'd deal with manny's defense in RF, to add him to the lineup.

Me too. I'm not sure which prospects we have that the Red Sox would want, but I doubt any project out to his career line of .312/.409/.590/.999. How ****ing ridiculous would those numbers be inserted into our lineup? Right now, he's got a .298/.398/.524/.922, with a higher OPS than anyone currently on our team.

RF Soriano
SS Theriot
1B Lee
LF M. Ramirez
3B A. Ramirez
C Soto
CF Fukudome
2B DeRosa

:drool::drool::drool:

RedHeadsRule
07-26-2008, 07:19 PM
I'm not sure it's really ever a bad idea to acquire an offensive force like Manny. With that said, because of how well Edmonds has hit, I highly highly doubt Hendry will consider this.

Max Power
07-26-2008, 07:22 PM
Well the guy is one of the best offensive players of the last 25 years, never a bad thing to add to a lineup. But I doubt he is going anywhere. They seem to have some sort of soap opera with Manny before their pennant runs.

But, if the Cubs did somehow get him and continued to struggle to score runs, I might start believing in curses.

CubFanSince84
07-26-2008, 07:32 PM
the red sux do this every year...it's 'just manny bein manny'...or in this case, it's just the red sox being the red sox.
plus, didn't Fukudome say he didn't want to play in center? i know he's fast enough, but if he doesn't want to play, why make him?
I don't think it's worth it. yes, i'd LOVE to win a world series, but i don't want to do it and risk not having any talent coming up in the next 2-3 years for a 3 month rent-a-player.

Brooklyn22
07-26-2008, 07:32 PM
Oh i would absolutley crap my pants if we got Manny. I realize he might be a drama queen, but i would let him drop one flyball per game, just to have his bat in the line up. Correct me if i am wrong but i noticed in one of those allstar pictures before the game, Manny and Big Z were huggin like they were long lost dominican brothers. In fact i think Marmol and Aramis were all in the picture too. So you see he gets along with our all stars, he will mesh with our team.

I don't actually see this deal happening, but i was also blindsided by the Nomar to the Cubs trade as well. So i guess we can all cross our fingers and pray.

BUD Bleachers
07-26-2008, 07:39 PM
I love Manny Ramirez. He's one of my favs.

What would an off-season or trade deadline be without the Red Sox looking to get rid of Manny?

Regardless of whether or not you trade for him, someone still has to pay him.

Sure, you make room for a player of this caliber, but at what expense?

I just don't think it's really a possibility for many reasons.

He won't waive to just go anywhere, and I'd venture to state that the Cubs would be on his short list. We have some fellow countrymen on this team.

I'd still like to see Roberts on this team. I still can't let that concept go, especially knowing what we know now about this team.

Starting off games with 1 out almost every game from your lead-off spot gets old.

bosox3431
07-26-2008, 07:47 PM
I love Manny Ramirez. He's one of my favs.

What would an off-season or trade deadline be without the Red Sox looking to get rid of Manny?

Regardless of whether or not you trade for him, someone still has to pay him.

Sure, you make room for a player of this caliber, but at what expense?

I just don't think it's really a possibility for many reasons.

He won't waive to just go anywhere, and I'd venture to state that the Cubs would be on his short list. We have some fellow countrymen on this team.

I'd still like to see Roberts on this team. I still can't let that concept go, especially knowing what we know now about this team.

Starting off games with 1 out almost every game from your lead-off spot gets old.

not only that, you have his cousin(i blelieve thats their relation).

And Manny has options for the next two years, so he wouldnt have to be a rent a player

Knuckles
07-26-2008, 08:17 PM
Hmm, interesting but probably not realistic. I've kinda been wondering to my self if the Cubs were in the market for a corner OF anyway with Fuku playing in Cf more frequently!

Dmac
07-26-2008, 08:41 PM
That would be interesting, but I just don't see it happening. It is probably all talk, as he is rumored to be on the block every year, and goes nowhere. If they did trade him, it would have to be a 3 team deal though. The Red Sox are a playoff team and are going to want a major league star in return, which the Cubs can't afford to part with.

jiggin
07-26-2008, 08:47 PM
hmm, on a side note CuseDude87...how lame are you to have a quote about me in your signature.

Isn't this boardline stalking? Get a life man...LOL

You do know that Kirel and I are cool and have MANY discussions where we are on the same page. Picking one random post where we didn't agree ect... and using it as your signature is about the lamest thing I have seen on here in a long time, congrats.

OnWisconsin2007
07-26-2008, 08:47 PM
Just what the Cubs need, 20 million dollars more per year in their salary. Who would you trade for Manny Ramirez anyways?

cubsneedmiracle
07-26-2008, 09:05 PM
Just what the Cubs need, 20 million dollars more per year in their salary. Who would you trade for Manny Ramirez anyways?

Well we all know the Brewers cant afford a 20 mill player in the first place.

It would have to be some sort of a 3 team deal.
Cubs sending prospects to (Pirates???)
Red Sox sending prospects to (Pirates???)
Pirates sending Jason Bay to Red Sox
Red Sox sending Manny Ramirez to Cubs.

Something random like that.

jiggin
07-26-2008, 09:08 PM
not going to happen. You want Manny Ramirez patroling RF in wrigley? WHAT?!@?!?

No way. He is a defensive liability no matter where he is put, much less a very tricky Wrigley RF.

$20 million a year plus a HUGE chunk of the farm system, I would pass.

Dmac
07-26-2008, 09:11 PM
I would do it even up for Soriano. You could let Ramirez walk after this year, and you would get out of how ridiculous Soriano's contract will be in a few years.

cubsneedmiracle
07-26-2008, 09:15 PM
I would do it even up for Soriano. You could let Ramirez walk after this year, and you would get out of how ridiculous Soriano's contract will be in a few years.

Nope, it doesn't work that way. You would still be eating a portion, if not most of Soriano's contract.

Dmac
07-26-2008, 09:19 PM
Nope, it doesn't work that way. You would still be eating a portion, if not most of Soriano's contract.

I know that, but that is what I would like to see happen. Even a little cash on the Cubs part is fine. Ramirez replacing Soriano would make the Cubs a better team. Unfortunately, it would cost too much cash on the Cubs end, and they wouldn't do it.

Dmac
07-26-2008, 09:21 PM
Well we all know the Brewers cant afford a 20 mill player in the first place.

It would have to be some sort of a 3 team deal.
Cubs sending prospects to (Pirates???)
Red Sox sending prospects to (Pirates???)
Pirates sending Jason Bay to Red Sox
Red Sox sending Manny Ramirez to Cubs.

Something random like that.

I can't see the Red Sox giving up prospects and Ramirez and only getting Bay in return.

cubsneedmiracle
07-26-2008, 09:25 PM
I can't see the Red Sox giving up prospects and Ramirez and only getting Bay in return.

It was just an example of how a possible 3 team trade could work. Not really what I would want, just fitting in with the topic. I'd take Bay over Manny.

4cubs
07-26-2008, 10:51 PM
It was just an example of how a possible 3 team trade could work. Not really what I would want, just fitting in with the topic. I'd take Bay over Manny.We haven't fleeced the Bucs in a couple years. We are over due...

CubbieSteve
07-26-2008, 10:55 PM
I bet the Sox don't even trade Manny. He'll walk after the season.

I'd love to have him in this lineup, but it's quite unlikely.

uptownfan
07-27-2008, 12:12 AM

Yea, really, what's the point of adding future hall of famers to your roster? :D

Rosh
07-27-2008, 12:31 AM
It won't happen most likely, it'd be nice to see. But nah, won't happen. We'd have to give up too much as well.

It sure would be one hell of a response to the Durham-to-Milwaukee deal though.

Wrigleyboy25
07-27-2008, 01:22 AM
Soriano for Manny would be ideal.

redbird89
07-27-2008, 01:34 AM
Manny would probably require a lot of prospects, and it would be costly to resign him anyway (though I doubt the Cubs would).

Personally, I'm a little tired of "Manny being Manny", too. He needs to learn to respect the game and not sit and pretend like he's hurt. He's a little too crazy for me.

It would be funny to see Lou put him in his place, though.

DeShaun Brown
07-27-2008, 01:58 AM
I say no. Yes he's an offensive force, but he's also a terrible fielder and he's disruptive to the team chemistry with all of the crap he pulls. Think about it, why do they want to get rid of him? It's not because of his horrible defense; they could easily make him the DH. No, it's because of the way he is, the way he acts, the things he does. After years of making the "Manny being Manny" excuse Boston finally apears to be sick and tired of him. What makes anyone think that things will be different if he were traded to the Cubs, where we would not only have to deal with his personality, but also his bad deffense?

GeraldRFord
07-27-2008, 02:07 AM
I wouldn't take Manny Ramirez on my team if you paid me. Absolutely no class.

CubsRule08
07-27-2008, 02:10 AM
I wouldn't take Manny Ramirez on my team if you paid me. Absolutely no class.

A Yankees fan saying that about a Red Sox player? That is shocking :rolleyes:

CuseDude87
07-27-2008, 02:27 AM
A Yankees fan saying that about a Red Sox player? That is shocking :rolleyes:

My thoughts exactly.

GeraldRFord
07-27-2008, 02:44 AM
I've said it since he's played for the Indians.

Absolutely classless. I am (now) fine with Johnny Damon on the Yankees, and I loved having Wade Boggs, and Roger Clemens.

I would not take Manny Ramirez on my team.

CubsRule08
07-27-2008, 03:08 AM
I've said it since he's played for the Indians.

Absolutely classless. I am (now) fine with Johnny Damon on the Yankees, and I loved having Wade Boggs, and Roger Clemens.

I would not take Manny Ramirez on my team.

I understand your point, but what makes you think we even have a chance to acquire him? Somebody brought it up because it was posted on rumor sites, and asked if we should take a chance on him...it's not worth giving up what's left of our farm system for a rental

Cubsfan87
07-27-2008, 05:18 AM
I would be willing to give up a couple of good prospects for Manny, and hopefully they would take back a bad contract like Marquis to even things out.

I know Manny isnt signed for next year its a 20 million option, but that makes the deal better to me. If he leaves we would get two first round picks. And if he plays great and has a good attitude maybe we pick up the option.

behindmydesk
07-27-2008, 10:55 AM
Soriano for Manny would be ideal.

One can dream, but I'd do that in a nano second. But I don't think Sori would waive his no trade clause, but maybe who knows.

behindmydesk
07-27-2008, 10:56 AM
I understand your point, but what makes you think we even have a chance to acquire him? Somebody brought it up because it was posted on rumor sites, and asked if we should take a chance on him...it's not worth giving up what's left of our farm system for a rental

I'm not being a dick to you, but man you spend alot of time playing video games. Do you ever go outside, and see the sun? Seriously, aren't those games (I have never played them so i'm speculating) take like 100 hours a piece to complete or more?

Dmac
07-27-2008, 11:13 AM
I'm not being a dick to you, but man you spend alot of time playing video games. Do you ever go outside, and see the sun? Seriously, aren't those games (I have never played them so i'm speculating) take like 100 hours a piece to complete or more?

Well, you can tell he is young. Once you get older, you don't have extra time for things like video games anymore. I used to play video games when I was in my late teens and early twenties, but being 34 now, I just don't have the time for them with work, etc. I still enjoy them, although not nearly as much as I used to. I just have too much other stuff to do, or that I would rather be doing.

I don't mean this directed at him at all, but that is the problem with young kids today. I mean like ages 8-13. All they do is sit around and play video games all day and don't go outside. Thats why there are so many obese children now, and the parents just use the video game systems as a babysitter. When I was a kid we were never at home watching tv, except for saturday morning cartoons. Other than that, you would be outside until it got dark out.

Kirel
07-27-2008, 11:16 AM
Few games actually take 100 hours, although some people certainly put that mcuh into them(especially multi-player games.) Completion time for your average console game probably runs in the 9-20 hour range. RPGs and adventure types trend higher.

The longest I've ever spent on one game is probably ~80 hours spread across a few months.

And man, you've gotta be the oldest young man I've met in a long while.

Kirel
07-27-2008, 11:21 AM
Well, you can tell he is young. Once you get older, you don't have extra time for things like video games anymore. I used to play video games when I was in my late teens and early twenties, but being 34 now, I just don't have the time for them with work, etc. I still enjoy them, although not nearly as much as I used to. I just have too much other stuff to do, or that I would rather be doing.

I don't mean this directed at him at all, but that is the problem with young kids today. I mean like ages 8-13. All they do is sit around and play video games all day and don't go outside. Thats why there are so many obese children now, and the parents just use the video game systems as a babysitter. When I was a kid we were never at home watching tv, except for saturday morning cartoons. Other than that, you would be outside until it got dark out.
I don't think it's fair to blame games for obesity. That's copout at the least, and narrow-minded predjudice at worst.

Kids aren't exercising enough, sure, but parents are feeding them 20 big macs a week at age 10 isn't helping either. And assigning allthe blame to television or games is really, really failing to look at any factors involved.

BobTheAutomator
07-27-2008, 11:21 AM

Ha! This reminds me so much of Talladega Nights.

"With all due respect, I didn't know you had experimental surgery to have your balls removed."

Kirel
07-27-2008, 11:26 AM
I say no. Yes he's an offensive force, but he's also a terrible fielder and he's disruptive to the team chemistry with all of the crap he pulls. Think about it, why do they want to get rid of him? It's not because of his horrible defense; they could easily make him the DH. No, it's because of the way he is, the way he acts, the things he does. After years of making the "Manny being Manny" excuse Boston finally apears to be sick and tired of him. What makes anyone think that things will be different if he were traded to the Cubs, where we would not only have to deal with his personality, but also his bad deffense?
How do you *EASILY* make Manny the DH with David Ortiz on your team?

Max Power
07-27-2008, 11:37 AM
I get a kick out of the "disruptive force" and bad in the clubhouse crap.
Teams that Manny Ramirez has played for have compiled a winning percentage of about .570 and have made the post season 9 times. Without him, I guess they'd be approaching .600.

If you are concerned about having a book club in the clubhouse, I guess you might not want him.
If you are concerned about winning, he seems to be a pretty good option.

CubsRule08
07-27-2008, 11:42 AM

Yes i do go outside and see the sun :p...not really, more like 50-60 hours of gameplay, but those games i beat are over the last year and a half, so its not like i play it 24/7...i got a job so im not playing every day...i usually play about 3x a week...the only game i played continuously was GTA IV, and i beat that in exactly 1 week :D

Yep...im turning 19 in a few weeks, so i probably will fall in the same range you do...and sadly, that relates to two of my nephews (age 6 and 8) who play video games all the time :pity:

SonnyD
07-27-2008, 12:01 PM
The only video game console I've ever really played, and liked, is Colecovision (well that and Atari, but Atari doesn't really count). Oh and I owned Odyssey too, but I liked that more for it's keyboard capabilities.

Even as a kid, I just couldn't get into the whole video game thing. I guess I was more interested in chicks and basketball, in that order.

Now, well, it's fantasy sports and sports forums.

Now you know how old I am......

Dmac
07-27-2008, 12:06 PM
Yes i do go outside and see the sun :p...not really, more like 50-60 hours of gameplay, but those games i beat are over the last year and a half, so its not like i play it 24/7...i got a job so im not playing every day...i usually play about 3x a week...the only game i played continuously was GTA IV, and i beat that in exactly 1 week :D

Yep...im turning 19 in a few weeks, so i probably will fall in the same range you do...and sadly, that relates to two of my nephews (age 6 and 8) who play video games all the time :pity:

That is pretty impressive to beat GTA in a week. Isn't it pretty detail oriented? I like games like that, and metal gear etc, they just take way too long, and I usually don't have the patience for them. I usually just stick to sports games.

behindmydesk
07-27-2008, 12:09 PM
Few games actually take 100 hours, although some people certainly put that mcuh into them(especially multi-player games.) Completion time for your average console game probably runs in the 9-20 hour range. RPGs and adventure types trend higher.

The longest I've ever spent on one game is probably ~80 hours spread across a few months.

And man, you've gotta be the oldest young man I've met in a long while.
HAHAHAHHA thanks. I also listen to nothing but AM radio. You aren't the first person to tell me that. I have a PS2, I just don't play it really. Although I do love NCAA football, but that's it.

I don't think it's fair to blame games for obesity. That's copout at the least, and narrow-minded predjudice at worst.

Kids aren't exercising enough, sure, but parents are feeding them 20 big macs a week at age 10 isn't helping either. And assigning allthe blame to television or games is really, really failing to look at any factors involved.

The truth resides somewhere in the middle. Video games sure as heck don't help kids exercise, or go outside and play like I had to as a kid. But it's also the fast food nation, and parents not caring/not having enough time to cook a wholesome meal, and telling thier kids to be outside. I came home one sat afternoon and saw my neighbors 8 or 9 year old child sitting outside, playing with what looked to be a Gameboy, or something like that sitting on a chair. I asked him what he was doing, and he said mom told me to go play outside. That was playing outside to him. I tend to believe that coupled with, the fact most parents are more protective of thier kids, and don't want them just going outside to the neighbors house or down the block and play outside, till the street lights came on. When I was growing up that's how it was, you gathered a group and went and played football, or baseball, or rode bikes etc. You came home when the street lights came on. A few of us had a nintendo, but we didn't play it often, it was more at night activity.

Ah that makes a bit more sense, just a few peopel that I know that plays games like what you have talked about, talk about how many hours it takes, and what little bit attention I pay to them, it just seems like a lot of hours.

Thanks for answering.

Kirel
07-27-2008, 12:21 PM
HAHAHAHHA thanks. I also listen to nothing but AM radio. You aren't the first person to tell me that. I have a PS2, I just don't play it really. Although I do love NCAA football, but that's it.

The truth resides somewhere in the middle. Video games sure as heck don't help kids exercise, or go outside and play like I had to as a kid. But it's also the fast food nation, and parents not caring/not having enough time to cook a wholesome meal, and telling thier kids to be outside. I came home one sat afternoon and saw my neighbors 8 or 9 year old child sitting outside, playing with what looked to be a Gameboy, or something like that sitting on a chair. I asked him what he was doing, and he said mom told me to go play outside. That was playing outside to him. I tend to believe that coupled with, the fact most parents are more protective of thier kids, and don't want them just going outside to the neighbors house or down the block and play outside, till the street lights came on. When I was growing up that's how it was, you gathered a group and went and played football, or baseball, or rode bikes etc. You came home when the street lights came on. A few of us had a nintendo, but we didn't play it often, it was more at night activity.

Ah that makes a bit more sense, just a few peopel that I know that plays games like what you have talked about, talk about how many hours it takes, and what little bit attention I pay to them, it just seems like a lot of hours.

Thanks for answering.
Whats odd for me is the idea of sitting still while playing. I do so more now, but as a kid I was everywhere, bouncing with every button push. It wasn't a sedentary activity(How I wish I'd have had RF controllers 15 years ago)

When I was a kid, I lived in what was largely an old-timers part of town apparently. We had roughly 6 kids and 6 or 7 teenagers in reasonable distance. We ended up not doing many group sports because, frankly, baseball with 3 defenders gets very boring very quickly, we always hurt ourselves playing soccer(and thus needed 2 week layovers between matches), and no one owned a football. Video games became a relatively common social pasttime.

I do however recall that my mother used to make me come in and finish off certain levels of Super Mario Brothers 3 for her so she could keep playing. I'm pretty sure I didn't like that.

CubsRule08
07-27-2008, 12:34 PM

Thanks for answering.

You're welcome

CubsRule08
07-27-2008, 12:37 PM
That is pretty impressive to beat GTA in a week. Isn't it pretty detail oriented? I like games like that, and metal gear etc, they just take way too long, and I usually don't have the patience for them. I usually just stick to sports games.

Yeah it was pretty detail oriented. Metal Gear Solid 4 is ok, but the missions are quite long, so its frustrating to keep dying over and over again

Cullksinikers
07-27-2008, 06:30 PM
Manny would be a hitting fool at Wrigley Field. We'd have to give up 4 or 5 players plus 1-2 players already on the big league roster. It's worth it though, when your drinking champaign in late October.

CuseDude87
07-27-2008, 07:01 PM
Our lineup would be unstoppable.

FukudoMCG
07-27-2008, 07:10 PM
I don't know how much room we would have for Manny realisticly. I would think that moving Sori or Fuku over to center and have Manny fill the empty spot would be the best choice.

So I guess that would have to mean that Reed, Jimmy, or Gato could be on the chopping block. Hart might be an option to deal as well. Throw in a couple other promising prospects and there might be a chance.

But we already have a rather dominating offense (when we dont slump like we have since the break) so I don't think it would be a smart move to give up a stronger future team for something that would just be cool.

cwh69
07-27-2008, 08:15 PM
I don't know how much room we would have for Manny realisticly. I would think that moving Sori or Fuku over to center and have Manny fill the empty spot would be the best choice.

So I guess that would have to mean that Reed, Jimmy, or Gato could be on the chopping block. Hart might be an option to deal as well. Throw in a couple other promising prospects and there might be a chance.

But we already have a rather dominating offense (when we dont slump like we have since the break) so I don't think it would be a smart move to give up a stronger future team for something that would just be cool.

it is when you haven't won a championship in 100 ****in years

Chi-cityfan
07-27-2008, 08:17 PM
Manny would cost alot but would be worth it even tho we would have the weakest corner outfield defense in the league (Manny, Soriano), Fuku would have to cover alot of ground in center... but I think Hendry should really look into a trade, Boston needs a #5 Starting Pitcher right? How about Marquis or Marshall, Wuertz, Cedeno+ 2 blue chip prospects.. u think that would do it? or would it even be worth it from our point of view?? All I know is a line-up that looks like this is pretty deadly:
1. Soriano-LF
2. Fuku- CF
3. Lee- 1B
4. M. Ramirez- RF
5. A. Ramirez- 3B
6. Soto- C
7. DeRo- 2B
8. Theriot- SS
DIIIRRTTTYYY!!!

pedro45
07-27-2008, 09:25 PM
I love the idea of getting manny if they want to bring him back next year so we dont lose the prospects for nothing. Also with as well as reed and edmonds have been playing maybe they could move soriano to second and use derosa to rest people leading to the playoffs i mean he is gonna have weak defense where u put him anyways. then we'd still have 2 good defensive out fielders and we could find ways to get dero in almost everyday.

1. soriano 2b
2. fukudome rf
3. lee 1b
4. a-ram 3b
5. man-ram lf
6. soto c
7.edmonds
8.theriot
9. Z

just a thought..... i mean i dont want to shake up too much but an OF of manny soriano and fukudome is really weak

pedro45
07-27-2008, 09:30 PM
I love the idea of getting manny if they want to bring him back next year so we dont lose the prospects for nothing. Also with as well as reed and edmonds have been playing maybe they could move soriano to second and use derosa to rest people leading to the playoffs i mean he is gonna have weak defense where u put him anyways. then we'd still have 2 good defensive out fielders and we could find ways to get dero in almost everyday.

1. soriano 2b
2. fukudome rf
3. lee 1b
4. a-ram 3b
5. man-ram lf
6. soto c
7.edmonds
8.theriot
9. Z

just a thought..... i mean i dont want to shake up too much but an OF of manny soriano and fukudome is really weak

turnaround3
07-27-2008, 09:46 PM
If the Cubs traded their farm excluding Vitters & Hill for Manny, I'd be fine with that. I don't care how that sounds, imagine the heart of our order. Don't give a **** about our OF defense either. I mean, good God...

And, it gets better - looks like he might want out:

BOSTON -- With Thursday's non-waiver Trade Deadline looming, Red Sox left fielder Manny Ramirez said on Sunday that he would waive his 10-5 rights (10 years in the Major Leagues, five with one team) if the club finds a suitable deal for him on the open market.

"What I said was, if the Red Sox, if they think they could find a trade, you know, that's going to make their team better and both sides are going to be happy, I'm going to agree," Ramirez said.

Full article (http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080726&content_id=3198938&vkey=trade2008&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb)

salek326
07-27-2008, 10:04 PM
I hate to do this, but I gotta know. Does anyone think the Cubs should trade for Manny Ramirez and put Fukudome in center? It'd show that the front office is certainly going for the championship this year. And with our recent offensive slump, I can't say I'd hate the idea, as long as we weren't killed in the deal.

rotoworld.com

hmmm, i think itd have to be a three way deal to probably. lets say, cubs give pignatellio, pie, hart(possible even josh vitters) for fuentes, then give the red sox fuentes, (hauffapaur, or johnson or edmonds), and maybe another reliever. a wild card maybe is rich hill, maybe one of them thinks hill can turn around idk(most likely itd be the rockies, they have more time to wait on him)

BUD Bleachers
07-27-2008, 10:23 PM

1. soriano 2b
2. fukudome rf
3. lee 1b
4. a-ram 3b
5. man-ram lf
6. soto c
7.edmonds
8.theriot
9. Z

I know what you're saying about the OF issue, but then again, do you want to weaken your defense up the middle by moving Soriano to second base? I don't know how effective that would be since he hasn't played there in years.

If the Cubs were to get a slugger like Manny, I think it would be time to move Lee to the 2 hole. Let Manny hit 3rd.

Regardless of the fielding issue or the line up predicament, they'd be great problems to have.

turnaround3
07-27-2008, 10:31 PM
I know what you're saying about the OF issue, but then again, do you want to weaken your defense up the middle by moving Soriano to second base? I don't know how effective that would be since he hasn't played there in years.

If the Cubs were to get a slugger like Manny, I think it would be time to move Lee to the 2 hole. Let Manny hit 3rd.

Regardless of the fielding issue or the line up predicament, they'd be great problems to have.

Actually Piniella played Soriano at 2nd base atleast once last season, he may have even subbed him in there a few times. At any rate...

1. Soriano
2. Theriot
3. Lee
4. M. Ramirez
5. A. Ramirez
6. Soto
7. Fukudome
8. DeRosa

I've said it already, but good.........Lord.........................

pedro45
07-27-2008, 10:32 PM

yes it would be i like manny in the 5 hole cuz i think a-ram is overall a better hitter and with manny in the on deck circle hes gonna see a lot of good pitches but i don't think it would matter where any of them batted

yearofthecub
07-27-2008, 10:58 PM
Well, this is as far-fetched as it gets, but fun to think about. Manny probably isn't going anywhere, and if he does, it's not going to be to the Cubs. However, if we're going to play the "what if?" game...

Against RHP:

Soriano
Lee
M. Ramirez
A. Ramirez
Fukudome
Soto
Fontenot
pitcher
Cedeno

Against LHP:

Soriano
Lee
M. Ramirez
A. Ramirez
Fukudome/Johnson depending on how tough the lefty is
Soto
Derosa
pitcher
Theriot

I actually like our team better how it is as long as we can start swinging the bat better. We have depth. Not many teams can claim that.

CuseDude87
07-27-2008, 11:24 PM
Well, this is as far-fetched as it gets, but fun to think about. Manny probably isn't going anywhere, and if he does, it's not going to be to the Cubs. However, if we're going to play the "what if?" game...

Against RHP:

Soriano
Lee
M. Ramirez
A. Ramirez
Fukudome
Soto
Fontenot
pitcher
Cedeno

Against LHP:

Soriano
Lee
M. Ramirez
A. Ramirez
Soto
Derosa
pitcher
Theriot

I actually like our team better how it is as long as we can start swinging the bat better. We have depth. Not many teams can claim that.

I get the Lee in the 2 hole idea, but I don't get the Manny in the fifth spot at all. Why in the hell would you trade for Manny Ramirez and put him fifth? Also, with the way Fuku has regressed since the beginning of the year, I would keep him at the bottom. I wouldn't put Manny in RF either. Not at Wrigley. I'd either have Fuku or Sori in center/right.

RF Soriano
SS Theriot
1B Lee
LF M. Ramirez
3B A. Ramirez
C Soto
CF Fukudome
2B DeRosa

Wow. That would be incredible. And, as someone mentioned a few pages ago, Manny was having a great time talking to Rammy, Soriano, Zambrano, and Marmol at the All Star game. They looked like best buds, honestly. If Hendry pulled off that trade without giving up major parts of this year's team, I'd let him off the hook for both the Trachsel AND Pierre trades! :speechless:

Matchstckman
07-27-2008, 11:26 PM
Obviously this is far from happening, but in any case, the Cubs' Traveling Secretary has to be a little more nervous today than yesterday.

CuseDude87
07-27-2008, 11:58 PM
Obviously this is far from happening, but in any case, the Cubs' Traveling Secretary has to be a little more nervous today than yesterday.

?

CubsGirl
07-28-2008, 12:00 AM
?
The fight that was publicized earlier was with the Sox' traveling secretary

zambo4president
07-28-2008, 12:01 AM
manny threw down their traveling secretary because he didnt get him enough seats the day of the game in houston

cwh69
07-28-2008, 12:09 AM

Against RHP:

Soriano
Lee
M. Ramirez
A. Ramirez
Fukudome
Soto
Fontenot
pitcher
Cedeno

Against LHP:

Soriano
Lee
M. Ramirez
A. Ramirez
Soto
Derosa
pitcher
Theriot

Why leave our most consistent hitter(theriot) out of the lineup in the majority of our games?

DeShaun Brown
07-28-2008, 12:23 AM
How do you *EASILY* make Manny the DH with David Ortiz on your team?

I think you missed my point. I'm just saying that his defense is not the reason for them trading him, his personality is the reason they are thinking about getting rid of him.

CuseDude87
07-28-2008, 12:31 AM
The fight that was publicized earlier was with the Sox' traveling secretary

manny threw down their traveling secretary because he didnt get him enough seats the day of the game in houston

I knew I heard that phrase before somewhere. Haha, thanks for jogging my memory.

yearofthecub
07-28-2008, 12:38 AM
Why leave our most consistent hitter(theriot) out of the lineup in the majority of our games?

You're right, I should have made it Cedeno/Theriot against RHP. My bad. It's a fantasy lineup anyways that will NEVER happen.

yearofthecub
07-28-2008, 12:47 AM
I get the Lee in the 2 hole idea, but I don't get the Manny in the fifth spot at all. Why in the hell would you trade for Manny Ramirez and put him fifth? Also, with the way Fuku has regressed since the beginning of the year, I would keep him at the bottom. I wouldn't put Manny in RF either. Not at Wrigley. I'd either have Fuku or Sori in center/right.

RF Soriano
SS Theriot
1B Lee
LF M. Ramirez
3B A. Ramirez
C Soto
CF Fukudome
2B DeRosa

Wow. That would be incredible. And, as someone mentioned a few pages ago, Manny was having a great time talking to Rammy, Soriano, Zambrano, and Marmol at the All Star game. They looked like best buds, honestly. If Hendry pulled off that trade without giving up major parts of this year's team, I'd let him off the hook for both the Trachsel AND Pierre trades! :speechless:

First of all, I put Manny third if you'll notice. Secondly, With that configuriguration of outfielders Soriano would play CF, Fukudome/Johnson RF, and Manny LF. Lastly, it's fantasy and isn't going to happen. People can come up with ridiculous trade ideas all day long, but none of them make any sense for this year and definitely not for the future of the team.

Take a deep breath and say it with me, "depth is good". The only people I'd like to see get moved are possibly Howry, Wuertz, and/or Marquis. None of those would fetch a Manny Ramirez even combined. What they will get us though is a decent right-handed bat to come off the bench and pinch hit and spot start and/or some decent prospects to build the future with.

Oh and btw before you say, "it's been 100 years we need to do what we can to win now!" you're right, but Manny isn't the answer. Defense and pitching win championsips. He provides neither and would most likely rob us of depth of pitching and fielding specs. Besides, I would really prefer to not pin it all on one year and still have a shot to do it again next year.

CuseDude87
07-28-2008, 12:51 AM
First of all, I put Manny third if you'll notice. Secondly, With that configuriguration of outfielders Soriano would play CF, Fukudome/Johnson RF, and Manny LF. Lastly, it's fantasy and isn't going to happen. People can come up with ridiculous trade ideas all day long, but none of them make any sense for this year and definitely not for the future of the team.

Take a deep breath and say it with me, "depth is good". The only people I'd like to see get moved are possibly Howry, Wuertz, and/or Marquis. None of those would fetch a Manny Ramirez even combined. What they will get us though is a decent right-handed bat to come off the bench and pinch hit and spot start and/or some decent prospects to build the future with.

I quoted your post because I liked your lineup best out of all the other posters. I wasn't directing my line about batting Manny fifth at you at all.

turnaround3
07-28-2008, 01:36 AM
Tell me why this deal can't get done:

Note: I'm sure there's some good reasons why, just hear me out - My glass is always half full on stuff like this.

Red Sox Get:

Ronny Cedeno - They're not content with Lowrie or Cora at short, Cedeno is young, can be kept, and can contribute now.

Felix Pie - He's an obligatory highly touted prospect, and if we got Manny, there's just no room in this OF. Who knows if Manny would stay here, but for the immediate future, how can you not let Pie go for this guy?

Micah Hoffpauir - He means virtually nothing to us, and coming off the BoSox bench he is very, very valuable.

Jose Ascanio - Another spare part for us that becomes immediately valuable to the Boston bullpen.

Cubs Get:

Manny Ramirez: :drool:

And possibly some mediocre/garbage prospect, if Epstein feels like being generous.

As an alternative to the prospect, or maybe even in addition, Epstein throws in some cash considerations. Keep in mind ANY deal involving a future hall of famer only gets done if Red Sox management truly feels that he has become a detriment to the clubhouse and overall well-being of the team. That said, if they want Manny out of Boston bad enough, they may be willing to pay to do so.

Now, tell me why I'm stupid.

davegon420
07-28-2008, 01:45 AM
I think that Jim Hendry owes it to us and the team to at least inquire about a trade for Manny. As far as Fukudome going to center and not wanting to, I think that he should consider himself lucky that he is still in the starting lineup because he has been a little disappointing the past couple of months, so he is in no position to make all kinds of demands of where he wants to play, he'll play center and like it! if not I have noooo problem with Reed or Jimmy playing instead of him.

and if it were to happen I think that Cedeno, Marshall, Hoffpauir and maybe Colvin and or Veal would be in the deal too. Samardizja would not be in the deal because he has a huge contract (so he didnt enter the NFL draft) and a no trade clause, plus he is from Valpo which is a little over an hour away from Chicago, so he is pretty much playing in his home town.

GunslingerT
07-28-2008, 01:56 AM
I think it wouldn't take as much to make this trade possible. Pie and our 3 top pitching prospects (two of whom are on the roster, i.e. Marshall and Irish). Maybe throw in another bat as well as some cash.

As a side note, anyone considering Hendry's job status? If we don't win it all, the new owner will go with some one else. Hendry knows this; so I think if he can make a deal for Manny (I know he'll at least call and check) he will. Hendry's got to make every effort to put us over the moon; his job depends on it.

CuseDude87
07-28-2008, 01:59 AM

Note: I'm sure there's some good reasons why, just hear me out - My glass is always half full on stuff like this.

Red Sox Get:

Ronny Cedeno - They're not content with Lowrie or Cora at short, Cedeno is young, can be kept, and can contribute now.

Felix Pie - He's an obligatory highly touted prospect, and if we got Manny, there's just no room in this OF. Who knows if Manny would stay here, but for the immediate future, how can you not let Pie go for this guy?

Micah Hoffpauir - He means virtually nothing to us, and coming off the BoSox bench he is very, very valuable.

Jose Ascanio - Another spare part for us that becomes immediately valuable to the Boston bullpen.

Cubs Get:

And possibly some mediocre/garbage prospect, if Epstein feels like being generous.

As an alternative to the prospect, or maybe even in addition, Epstein throws in some cash considerations. Keep in mind ANY deal involving a future hall of famer only gets done if Red Sox management truly feels that he has become a detriment to the clubhouse and overall well-being of the team. That said, if they want Manny out of Boston bad enough, they may be willing to pay to do so.

Sign me up.

But seriously, I just don't see Epstein being interested in any of those players except possibly Ascanio, and unless they really want to give up Manny for spare parts, I don't see it happening. Not to mention Cedeno would block Lowrie in the future.

EDIT: Also, they have Ellsbury in center (Pie), and Sean Casey on the bench (Hoffpaiur). I just don't see them taking those players.

chicagofan71
07-28-2008, 08:41 AM

Red Sox Get:

Cubs Get:

You know what the Sox would say?

Why the **** would we want your trash

Theyd want Ceda+Vitters and someone like Burke

Cubber
07-28-2008, 09:57 AM

Red Sox Get:

Cubs Get:

This would be way too much but you're right in that Epstein will demand a ridiculous price, thus nixing the deal. It is just too bad we are dealing with the Red Sox if a deal is going to try to be made. I guess we can hang on to Vitters and finish dead last in the division five years from now. Might be worth it for a ring. He's too old to give up so much.

Cedeno has finally come around this year and Hoffpauir hit the ground running. Just takes such a toll on our playoff depth.

hoosiercubsfan
07-28-2008, 10:18 AM
There more than likely isn't any team in baseball that will be able to make a trade for him this week. But seem like every year Manny is put on waivers. Question will be are they going to do it again this year. I'd rather the Cubs try and make a waiver claim on him than trade the entire farm for a piece that really wouldn't fit. He just plays a position that is allready over loaded on our team. But if they can claim him and only have to pay the remainder of the contract maybe it will make the return for him less.

WCF23
07-28-2008, 10:24 AM
The Red Sox have no chance of staying in that race with the Rays and the Yanks if they trade Manny, and Epstein isnt that stupid. I would love him but it isnt going to happen

Cub_StuckinSTL
07-28-2008, 10:25 AM
The Red Sox have no chance of staying in that race with the Rays and the Yanks if they trade Manny, and Epstein isnt that stupid. I would love him but it isnt going to happen

Papi looks like he didn't lose much if any power coming off the DL and the emergence of JD Drew as the player we always knew he could be means that team could still compete. Especially with some of their young pitching thats really helped.

Wrigleyboy25
07-28-2008, 10:40 AM
You are all nuts. Hello, the Red Sox want to win the World Series. They aren't dealing Manny for prospects.

The only deal that makes any sense is Soriano for Manny.

behindmydesk
07-28-2008, 10:42 AM
You are all nuts. Hello, the Red Sox want to win the World Series. They aren't dealing Manny for prospects.

You think sori would waive his no trade clause?

mawp
07-28-2008, 10:50 AM
You think sori would waive his no trade clause?

:pray:

I would be so happy if that happened.

Cub_StuckinSTL
07-28-2008, 10:52 AM
:pray:

I would be so happy if that happened.

Po would be doing backflips

behindmydesk
07-28-2008, 10:53 AM
well it'd be a complete great deal for the cubs. They get the increased bat, they have the option for him for 2 years, or they can just say you walk, adn we'll take 2 picks for him. Better hitter, better contract, and possible draft picks. Really no downside for him. I don't see the sox trading him though.

mawp
07-28-2008, 11:01 AM
well it'd be a complete great deal for the cubs. They get the increased bat, they have the option for him for 2 years, or they can just say you walk, adn we'll take 2 picks for him. Better hitter, better contract, and possible draft picks. Really no downside for him. I don't see the sox trading him though.

Yeah I don't see it happening either, and I also don't see Soriano batting leadoff for Boston if it were to happen either.

It pains me to say it, but Soriano is probably a better defensive LF'er because of the increased range.

behindmydesk
07-28-2008, 11:03 AM
Yeah I don't see it happening either, and I also don't see Soriano batting leadoff for Boston if it were to happen either.

It pains me to say it, but Soriano is probably a better defensive LF'er because of the increased range.

Manny's defense short comings, are more then made up by the fact he's a much better hitter then sori. Lifteim 409 OBP, 590 slugging. This year he's still got a 394 OBP, and a 524 slugging.

BUD Bleachers
07-28-2008, 11:19 AM
Boston is in a real dog fight for the AL East and WC, so they're going to trade their best hitter?

Come on, guys, how many times has this story emerged in the off-season and at trade deadlines? It's good fodder, and the media knows it.

Wanting Manny Ramirez here is a no-brainer, but I think this is nothing more than fun speculation and pipe dreaming.

I'm really interested to see if Hendry makes a deal.

I do like GunslingerT's post regarding Hendry. I tend to agree; I just don't know exactly who's realistically going to be available for Hendry to shoot the moon.

behindmydesk
07-28-2008, 11:21 AM
Boston is in a real dog fight for the AL East and WC, so they're going to trade their best hitter?

Come on, guys, how many times has this story emerged in the off-season and at trade deadlines? It's good fodder, and the media knows it.

Wanting Manny Ramirez here is a no-brainer, but I think this is nothing more than fun speculation and pipe dreaming.

I'm really interested to see if Hendry makes a deal.

I do like GunslingerT's post regarding Hendry. I tend to agree; I just don't know exactly who's realistically going to be available for Hendry to shoot the moon.

True, but many didn't think they'd trade Nomar either.

cubsneedmiracle
07-28-2008, 11:31 AM

Thats really the only reason why I'm even hanging on that this may happen.

CuseDude87
07-28-2008, 11:36 AM

Not to mention Manny has thrown some real dirt at the Red Sox this time. In years past, he seemed not to care. This year he purposely stayed out of games and even looked at three straight strikes in an AB, presumably to teach the Red Sox a lesson. He also called out the front office for not trying to extend him.

It's definitely a union that will soon end, if not at the deadline, then certainly at the end of this season or next.

damon berryhill
07-28-2008, 11:58 AM
I personally have no interest in being part of the "Manny being Manny" saga. Trust me, it does look good on paper to add Manny's bat to the line up, but I am completely turned off to him by the way he has been running his mouth off the past few years. This is a cubs team that has finally figured out the "team" dynamic and they really don't need a high profile player to come in and pull a prima-donna act right now.

chicagofan71
07-28-2008, 12:12 PM
Manny for Soriano makes perfect sense

This could be like a nomar deal in 2004, where JH kinda pulls the rabbit out of the hat. I could definitely see a 3 team deal with us, Sox and someone like the Pirates where either we give up Sori, or they give up Bay

scrubs101
07-28-2008, 12:30 PM
so, you guys want to trade Soriano for a rental?

flips333
07-28-2008, 12:34 PM
if the red sox would take Soriano for Manny. Soriano's contract was alittle ridiculous anyway... the cubs would be required, of course, to replace him in the offseason.

CuseDude87
07-28-2008, 12:46 PM

He's got a club option for $20 million in each of the next two seasons. He wouldn't be a rental if the Cubs pick it up.

98YearsIsEnough
07-28-2008, 12:47 PM
Yeah, Manny drives in runs. Soriano for 6 more years after this w/ his contract, it'd be a sheer miracle if the Red Sox would be dumb enough to do this

CubsRule08
07-28-2008, 12:49 PM
If this happens, we have the best cousin tandems in MLB, regarding Manny Ramirez and Aramis Ramirez

SonnyD
07-28-2008, 12:49 PM
There isn't a single blurb that I've read that shows the Cubs are even remotely interested:

According to the Providence Journal, the Red Sox have talked to the Diamondbacks, Mets, Phillies and Dodgers about Manny Ramirez.

Boston would obviously prefer to deal Ramirez out of the AL. The newspaper notes that Ramirez has assured the Red Sox that he'd waive his no-trade clause if his new team promised to decline his option for 2009, making him eligible for free agency after the season.

It'd be nice, but I think it's a waste to even speculate at this point.

cubsneedmiracle
07-28-2008, 12:52 PM
Yeah, Manny drives in runs. Soriano for 6 more years after this w/ his contract, it'd be a sheer miracle if the Red Sox would be dumb enough to do this

Which is even why I'm wondering why you guys are discussing it. It's more of a pipe dream than even getting Manny in the first place.

cubsneedmiracle
07-28-2008, 12:53 PM
There isn't a single blurb that I've read that shows the Cubs are even remotely interested:

That's the point, maybe we don't want the media knowing that we want him.

chi416
07-28-2008, 01:34 PM
That's the point, maybe we don't want the media knowing that we want him.

Manny most likely is not getting traded. He's just trying to be such a jerk that Boston won't pick up his option and he can become a free agent. Trading Manny to a team who promises not to pick up his 2009 option will not yield the return Boston will need to remain a legitimate World Series contender. The only way Boston gets a big enough package for Manny is if he's traded to a team that will give him an extension.

I truly believe this is just Manny posturing for $$$

andrew_Sthrd
07-28-2008, 02:40 PM
all of the we meed to trade sori for manny guys do realize that in manny's 120extra at bats (give or take a few) and 40+ extra games he has a total of 3 (i know, that would make such a difference) more HR, and 19 rbi, granted he is batting a little bit higher, and has a better OBP. However, sori does have a higher SLG%. Factor in that manny has more chances to drive in runs since he's batting 3rd or 4th vs. leading off, and that u all say RBI means nothing, the production much favors sori, not to mention hes what, 5 years younger. everyone really needs to stop the soriano hating, its almost as rediculous as the either absolute love/absoulte hate for theriot. also, i think in a year or two, sori will realize hes not fast anymore, and be moved down in the lineup, and become the pure slugger that he really is. just my two cents

WCF23
07-28-2008, 02:57 PM
Hasnt Soriano proven over the course of his career that he does not hit as well in the 3,4,5 spots as he does in the leadoff position. I would have loved one of Mannys 19 rbis to come against the Marlins in either one of those extra inning loses. The length of Sorianos contract is ******** but Hendry did what he had to do to get him. I think its very unlikely Boston moves Manny and I think its even more unlikely they trade him and end up with Soriano, but anything is possible i guess. I would however not compare this to the Nomar situation as said before because I dont think its the same situation.

jdgrabo
07-28-2008, 03:26 PM
I don't buy into the speculation that the Red Sox are even thinking about trading Manny. How do they plug the hole in their lineup that will give them 30HR and 100+RBI this year?

So, who do you trade with to make those numbers up? I don't see it.

I'm imagining an outfield with both Manny and Sori on the corners- poor Fukudome will run his arse off covering ground for those two. Anything hit in the air will be a full on adventure.

BDawk4Prez
07-28-2008, 03:52 PM
Manny as a Cub would be ****ing sick!!!!

WI Sports Fan
07-28-2008, 04:31 PM
This has probably been said before, but there's no way the Cubs have what it takes to steal Man-Ram from Boston.

cubsfan9124
07-28-2008, 04:34 PM
This has probably been said before, but there's no way the Cubs have what it takes to steal Man-Ram from Boston.

I bet they have enough but it wouldn't be worth it for what they would want.

jiggin
07-28-2008, 04:55 PM
latest reports I have read say that he is willing to be traded anywhere if the team will agree to let him out of the team options after the season so he can be a FA. Screw that. Only reason you sell off part of the farm is to have him for the next 2 years plus a post season run this year. Without that protection he is just a VERY expensive rental player and I want the cubs to have nothing to do with that.

Buckwheat
07-28-2008, 05:02 PM
latest reports I have read say that he is willing to be traded anywhere if the team will agree to let him out of the team options after the season so he can be a FA. Screw that. Only reason you sell off part of the farm is to have him for the next 2 years plus a post season run this year. Without that protection he is just a VERY expensive rental player and I want the cubs to have nothing to do with that.

**** that..

Dmac
07-28-2008, 08:18 PM

That is what I have been saying. If the Red Sox did deal Manny, the only way they would do so is if they get an all star caliber quality player in return. Thus we can't afford him because it will take one of our quality player in return to get him. They aren't going to take prospects and give up this year, which is what they would be doing with the trades that some of you guys have come up with. They don't have to trade him. They can let him walk at the end of the season and get the two prospects and play for a ring this year. Why would they trade him for Pie and our other garbage?

Cubstradamus
07-28-2008, 11:47 PM
No thank you. I don't want him signed to a long term deal here, I don't want him in our club house with his attitude, and I don't want to give up multiple top prospects for him

Chicago657
07-29-2008, 04:52 PM
Eyre
Veal
Lieber
Edmonds

For Manny
I don't know if that is overkill and we get raped, or if it is not enough. Anyone care to correct me?

Others that you can mix and match
Marquis (with us eating his salary)
Fontenot
Cedeno
Lieber
Marshall
Other prospects

Thoughts? Veal untouchable now?

WCF23
07-29-2008, 05:18 PM
Was that a joke?

Chicago657
07-29-2008, 05:32 PM
Well we are shopping Eyre. The Sox might need an outfielder if they are getting rid of one. They are going to want prospects, that's where Veal comes in.

The others were players I was willing to trade. Anyone else, I don't want the trade happening.

hoosiercubsfan
07-30-2008, 12:11 PM
I was watching first take earlier and they said something to the fact that only way Manny gets traded is as stated earlier for a star player. It would be interesting to see what they thought of trading Manny for Soriano. Though it would be great getting out of that contract would there be someone to take that spot next year? And also would the Redsox take him back as trade for Manny with that huge contract he has left.

Dfan25
07-30-2008, 07:21 PM
There is a huge rumor floating around that Manny has been traded to the marlins for one of Hermida- Willingham and two prospects.

Cub_StuckinSTL
07-30-2008, 07:22 PM
There is a huge rumor floating around that Manny has been traded to the marlins for one of Hermida- Willingham and two prospects.

Deal isn't done yet. He's playing right now.

homie564
07-30-2008, 07:24 PM
id like my red sox to get fontenot and dempster in a deal :D.. theres a rumor manny could be traded with a few spects to land hanley

jiggin
07-30-2008, 07:26 PM
looks like the marlins may be closing in on a deal to nab Ramirez for 3 prospects one being super A prospect Stanton from their farm system.

Edit: see it was on the previous page. my bad. :(

Dfan25
07-30-2008, 07:28 PM
Deal isn't done yet. He's playing right now.

My bad I just went by what i read on MLBTR

Dfan25
07-30-2008, 07:42 PM
Latest rumor has Manny going to Florida in a 3 way deal with Jason Bay ending in Boston and Jeremy Hermida with the pirates.

CubsRule08
07-30-2008, 07:45 PM
Latest rumor has Manny going to Florida in a 3 way deal with Jason Bay ending in Boston and Jeremy Hermida with the pirates.

Yep i read that...very interesting

BEARCUB76
07-31-2008, 12:50 AM
The Marlins have reached a tentative agreement to acquire Manny Ramirez from Boston as part of a three-team deal that will send Jeremy Hermida and three Florida prospects to Pittsburgh, an American League source said Wednesday night.

Officials with the Marlins and Red Sox did not confirm the deal but the source said a tentative agreement was reached about 10 p.m. Wednesday.

The Marlins will get Ramirez for Hermida, right-hander Ryan Tucker and two other prospects, with those four players being flipped to Pittsburgh for outfielder Jason Bay and left-hander John Grabow.

The Red Sox will send the Marlins enough cash to cover the remainder of Ramirez contract, as well as an unnamed prospect.

Pittsburgh gets Hermida and two prospects - two from Florida and one from Boston. One of the Marlins' prospects is believed to be Tucker.

CubsGirl
07-31-2008, 12:51 AM
^That can probably put an end to this thread