PDA

View Full Version : 2008-09 Season: How will we do?

thesparky33
07-26-2008, 01:38 PM
It seems like this is a hot topic now, especially since we've resigned Gomes, Telfair, and Smith, and it seems like we are almost done with free agency and trading (although McHale has mentioned wanting to get a 3rd PG-combo guard).

What is everyone's predictions on how we will fare this season?

How many games will we win?

Will we be close to making the playoffs, or even make the playoffs?

How much of a difference will Mike Miller, Kevin Love, and Rodney Carney bring to our team?

How much will certain players improve/grow from last year (Foye, Telfair, Brewer, McCants, Gomes, Jefferson, Smith)?

Any other questions or thoughts on how this season will play out?

This is just a thread to talk about one, some, or all of those questions. Have at it, and lets try to be respectful of each others opinions.

thesparky33
07-26-2008, 01:45 PM
I think we'll be a lot better, but it might not show in the win column. I predict about a 10 win improvement, maybe more, but I still think we'll lose a lot of close games. It's tough to know how well Miller will fit in here, and how much better we'll be with him here. He's an amazing scorer, and I wouldnt be surprised if he was our leading scorer, even scoring more than Al, although I dont anticipate that.

Hawkeye15
07-26-2008, 03:58 PM
We started 5-34. The remainder of the season, we were 17-26. That is 32 wins over 82 games (which is the same we had with KG by the way). Taking that into account, I predict we will win 40 games, and finish 10th in the west.
I also think Foye will have a breakout year now that he will be given the reigns to a team with some talent, and his knee is fine.
Miller will be a huge addition. He will space the floor, and probably get around 16 ppg.
Love will be first team all rookie, and average around 10-8.
Players roles will begin to emerge, like McCants becoming our scoring punch off the bench, Brewer our shut down defender, and Smith, Gomes and Telfair being our bench guys who contribute nightly

Luv Da New Pack
07-26-2008, 04:35 PM
I still think around 32 - 37 wins. I think it's funny and sad at the same time that a team with the POSSIBLE win total I posted can get ready for the lottery at the All-Star break in 1 conference and practically be a division champion in the other. One thing is it seems that the East is getting a little better so we can stop feeling this way (Ultra-Dominant West vs. 3 Strong East teams with fodder for playoff spots).

I know it was brought up years ago but what does it take to possibly switch Conferences without moving the team. Remember, in the NFL the Seahawks moved Conferences without needing to notify the Post Office.

badkins1121
07-26-2008, 06:34 PM
Around 35 wins

IowaAJ
07-26-2008, 10:50 PM
I think with the moves we have made we will have a chance to compete for a playoff spot. If we get Love to just give us 12 points and 10 rebounds I think we will have a great chance to become a playoff team. I think Miller will be a huge factor because teams will not be able to just double team Big AL because he will knock down the 3. We have a lot more depth now with all of the players we have added. I think we need Foye to be able improve and not be injured. If this team stays healthy we will have a chance at the 8th or 7th seed.

We have a lot of talent not only in our starting lineup but off the bench as well. We will have 2 guys in McCants and Carney who will come off the bench and have the ability to score. Craig Smith will be the Rhino we know what we will get for him. Telfair off the bench should be a nice change of pace to Foye. I think this could be a playoff team I am very excited about this team.

Preuss-is-right
07-27-2008, 01:33 AM
We started 5-34. The remainder of the season, we were 17-26. That is 32 wins over 82 games (which is the same we had with KG by the way). Taking that into account, I predict we will win 40 games, and finish 10th in the west.
I also think Foye will have a breakout year now that he will be given the reigns to a team with some talent, and his knee is fine.
Miller will be a huge addition. He will space the floor, and probably get around 16 ppg.
Players roles will begin to emerge, like McCants becoming our scoring punch off the bench, Brewer our shut down defender, and Smith, Gomes and Telfair being our bench guys who contribute nightly

I almost completely agree. I see Telfair and Gomes starting most of the games and McCants on the way out by trade deadline. Otherwise you hit the nail right on the head.

thesparky33
07-27-2008, 02:41 AM
I think McCants definitely is an X factor on this team. Maybe thats the wrong term, but I mean as in he isnt really mentioned in the same group as our "core" of Al, Randy, Love, Brewer, etc.

I think if management or coaching didnt think he was part of our core, we would have traded him by now, so I'm wondering where he'll fit in. I think its' still possible, as most have mentioned, that we could wind up trading him at the trade deadline, but no one knows for sure.

ryguy2k7
07-27-2008, 05:06 PM
We will probably win 33 games. Random guess, but we'll slightly improve.

Once we start to mesh together we will continue to get better and better. Brewer is a great defender, but I would put McCants as more of a core guy than Corey Brewer. Brewer has to improve his offense before I would consider him a core guy. Then again, McCants needs to improve his defense. Hmm...

We won't make the playoffs, but we will be on our way to a success.

badkins1121
07-27-2008, 05:34 PM
I think McCants definitely is an X factor on this team. Maybe thats the wrong term, but I mean as in he isnt really mentioned in the same group as our "core" of Al, Randy, Love, Brewer, etc.

I think if management or coaching didnt think he was part of our core, we would have traded him by now, so I'm wondering where he'll fit in. I think its' still possible, as most have mentioned, that we could wind up trading him at the trade deadline, but no one knows for sure.

I thought I heard they tried trading McCants around the draft but couldn't find any takers. If he has a good attitude and works hard he could be our six man again but right now i don't see being anything better than our sixth man.

tcman2007
07-27-2008, 06:26 PM

Yeah, I like that prediction. I think we'll win about 30-35 games. I don't think that's asking for too much. A lot of people laughed at McHale when he said this team could make a 20-game improvement, but I think a lot of people are starting to believe that we could come close to (or reach) that mark.

I think the idea of Kevin Love boosting Big Al's game is starting to sink in for Wolves fans. Jefferson himself confessed that he was 100% out of gas by the end of the season. This is Big Al's team, and if Kevin Love is successful, he will have made Jefferson a better player. If Kevin Love is able to shoulder some of the burden down low, it'll be a big boon for Jefferson's game. And if Big Al is going to be better than last year, well, then we've got a guy to carry this team. His only question is his defense.

Randy Foye is the x-factor, here. It really hinges on his ability to run this team. If he's a success, then the Wolves will be a success. If he's not (or he gets hurt), then it's "Bassy"'s team, and IMO, that isn't such a good thing.

Defense will also play a big role in how many wins they get. Obviously, this team is gonna score a lot more points than they did last year. Miller probably well be second in scoring this year (unless Randy Foye surpasses him).