PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: Dodgers land Casey Blake

DieHardColtsfan
07-26-2008, 12:05 PM
Source: Indians, Dodgers working on deal sending Blake to L.A.

By Jayson Stark
ESPN.com
(Archive)

The Cleveland Indians are closing in on a trade that would send third baseman/outfielder Casey Blake and cash to the Los Angeles Dodgers for two minor leaguers, according to a source with knowledge of the deal.

The teams were in the process of finalizing the deal early Saturday and it appeared the trade could be completed by the end of the day.

The Indians were believed to be receiving minor-league catcher Carlos Santana and righthanded pitcher Jon Meloan. Santana is currently hitting .323, with 14 homers, for Inland Empire, in the Class A California League. The hard-throwing Meloan is 5-10, with a 4.97 ERA, at Triple-A Las Vegas -- but has piled up 335 strikeouts in only 262 innings in his minor-league career.

With the trade of Xavier Nady to the Yankees on Friday, Blake was possibly the most highly sought-after bat on the market. Other teams pursuing him included the Rays, Mets and Phillies.

Those three teams would have played Blake in the outfield. But if the trade goes through he'll become the Dodgers' every-day third baseman, replacing slumping rookies Blake DeWitt and Andy LaRoche.

Blake, who can be a free agent after this season, was batting .289 for the Indians, with 11 homers, 58 RBIs and a .398 average with runners in scoring position.

Jayson Stark is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

Sick Of It All
07-26-2008, 12:13 PM
That would suck for the Mets, thats the guy I hope they get.

GHGHCP
07-26-2008, 12:17 PM
Santana and Meloan for a rental...

:sigh:

Ned Colletti I hate you.

Maine's the man
07-26-2008, 12:22 PM
agreed

Blake was by far our best option.. other than nady he is the only right handed bat on the market. I hope this doesnt happen. Omar needs to get on the phones

speaking of which.... Nady's price really went down... mets could have offered something comparable to what they got

koldjerky
07-26-2008, 12:24 PM
I hate seeing these, "... other teams interested included ... the Phillies..." Marte, Nady, Sabathia, Harden and now Blake had the Phillies interested and the PHillies settle for Joe "I'm going to get ****ed in the *** at CBP" Blanton. :pity:

One Nut Kruk
07-26-2008, 12:29 PM
Casey Blake is garbage. Don't do this LA.

jscotty8
07-26-2008, 12:39 PM
Casey Blake is garbage. Don't do this LA.

Wow the dodgers are turning to the giants of 2004... trading for older role players and signing bad free agents to long term contracts... i am so glad ned is gone... we have made so many better moves sense he left (expect zito and dave roberts)

GHGHCP
07-26-2008, 12:42 PM
Wow the dodgers are turning to the giants of 2004... trading for older role players and signing bad free agents to long term contracts... i am so glad ned is gone... we have made so many better moves sense he left (expect zito and dave roberts)

Pierre is the only long term contract, and thanks really but you don't have to tell us Ned Colletti is an idiot.

Now that I think of it, what made you think of such "better" moves? The Omar extension? the Rowand and Molina signings for a rebuilding team. Give me a break, only Sabean can make NedCo look better and thats saying a lot.

bcransom
07-26-2008, 01:03 PM
Dodgers Close To Acquiring Blake
By Alejandro Leal [July 26 at 11:18am CST]

A source close to the deal is telling Jayson Stark that the Dodgers are on the verge of acquiring Casey Blake from the Indians.

The Indians would get minor-league catcher Carlos Santana, right-handed pitcher Jon Meloan and cash in return.

Blake became one of the most coveted outfielders after the Yankees traded for Xavier Nady. Other teams that were rumored to be in the mix to land Blake were the Mets, Rays and Phillies.

bcransom
07-26-2008, 01:04 PM
Santana and Meloan for a rental...

Ned Colletti I hate you.

who said its a rental? we dont know if hell sign an extension

cclipper44
07-26-2008, 01:08 PM
The deal is official as it is now being reported by ESPN.

jscotty8
07-26-2008, 01:10 PM
Both Rowand and Molina have been great for us... you should have gone after rowand instead of jones, all the giants young talent is at AA right now... besides rowand, Sabean has signed some stop gap players to short term contracts like molina and omar... you guys have 2 more years of jones and now blake... everyone of the giants vets (besides rowand and zito) will be gone after the 2009 season, just in time for buster, big V and many others... i'll take sabean over nedco any day and the blake deal just confirms it

LARock21
07-26-2008, 01:13 PM
Why would we want to sign a 35 year old to an extension when we have LaRoche, a top 3B prospect waiting to take over? Unless we trade LaRoche which would make me even more pissed off about this deal. Santana will be a top catching prospect in a year or two and meloan needs refining but can be a solid reliever in the majors. I hate Colletti.

dodgers07champs
07-26-2008, 01:13 PM
All I have to say is...**** you Ned Colletti..

HipSlappyJoe
07-26-2008, 01:15 PM
why would the dodgers make this move...

jscotty8
07-26-2008, 01:19 PM
Why would you trade your top catching prospect for a rent a player... even if LA wins the west i don't think you can get by the cubs, brewers, mets or phils...

L-MiLLZ44
07-26-2008, 01:20 PM
blake is a very solid player, i never heard of the prospects they traded but getting blake is definetely an upgrade for the dodgers offense

dodgers07champs
07-26-2008, 01:23 PM
I am so frustrated..when will Ned learn? Just look at his past trades, and signing..the only decent one he made was getting Ethier. The guy is obviously still a Giant fan, or maybe he is actually this damn dumb..I'm not sure, but his *** needs to go.

One Nut Kruk
07-26-2008, 01:24 PM
Very solid player? What made you decide that, his career .782 OPS?

PhillyLuver
07-26-2008, 01:25 PM
Wow, I did a mock offseason with the Dodgers and scouting reports said Meloan was Broxton 2.0

Blake is ok, but I think that's a little much

GHGHCP
07-26-2008, 01:26 PM
Both Rowand and Molina have been great for us... you should have gone after rowand instead of jones, all the giants young talent is at AA right now... besides rowand, Sabean has signed some stop gap players to short term contracts like molina and omar... you guys have 2 more years of jones and now blake... everyone of the giants vets (besides rowand and zito) will be gone after the 2009 season, just in time for buster, big V and many others... i'll take sabean over nedco any day and the blake deal just confirms it

You have no idea what you're talking about. You're "talent" is still years away and thats IF they pan out/don't get injured. Posey hasn't even signed with your team yet (or any of your top 4 picks) and you really think "big V" will make an impact. I'm not even going to get into hat you think is a stop gap signing.

Kinsm
07-26-2008, 01:28 PM
Why would you trade your top catching prospect for a rent a player... even if LA wins the west i don't think you can get by the cubs, brewers, mets or phils...

May is there top catching prospect not Santana.

GHGHCP
07-26-2008, 01:31 PM
Wow, I did a mock offseason with the Dodgers and scouting reports said Meloan was Broxton 2.0

Blake is ok, but I think that's a little much

Ned Colletti in all his wisdom converted Meloan from lights out closer to meh starter. How come this idiot isn't fired yet?

TheShock45
07-26-2008, 01:32 PM
I hate seeing these, "... other teams interested included ... the Phillies..." Marte, Nady, Sabathia, Harden and now Blake had the Phillies interested and the PHillies settle for Joe "I'm going to get ****ed in the *** at CBP" Blanton. :pity:

were the phillies interested in Nady and marte because thats the trade ive been pulling for for a month or so now and if i found out they were interested and couldnt give a better deal then the yankees im gonna be pissed
Tabata is a great talent but who the heck were the other three guys
golston castro and one of our minor league infielders could of been a better deal then what the yankees offered

jscotty8
07-26-2008, 01:33 PM
You have no idea what you're talking about. You're "talent" is still years away and thats IF they pan out/don't get injured. Posey hasn't even signed with your team yet (or any of your top 4 picks) and you really think "big V" will make an impact. I'm not even going to get into hat you think is a stop gap signing.

You might be right... you never know with young talent, but sense nedco left sf has gone from 29 rated farm system to 5th... and posy will sign this is his money year and giants will pay... don't be bitter about ned you guys might win the west to get beat by the cubs...

GHGHCP
07-26-2008, 01:40 PM
You might be right... you never know with young talent, but sense nedco left sf has gone from 29 rated farm system to 5th... and posy will sign this is his money year and giants will pay... don't be bitter about ned you guys might win the west to get beat by the cubs...

5th from Law IF you sign all of your top picks.. which you haven't. Does Sabean even do the draft for your team anyway? You seem to be giving him too much credit. Both Sabean and NedCo are idiots.

Kinsm
07-26-2008, 01:40 PM

Not sure why you're talking smack, Sabean sucks just as much as Colletti. They both deserve to be fired. Just be lucky you don't have Bowden, he's even worse.

jscotty8
07-26-2008, 01:53 PM
This is a blake thread... all i am saying is this is the kind of move that got the giants where they are... now we have to rebuild... these kinds of moves will put the dodgers in the same situation very soon... i do like what sabean has don't starting last off season... but he has a long wat to go to redeam himself

FriarFanatic
07-26-2008, 02:01 PM
the indians got two solid prospects in return for blake. meloan as a reliever is a complete freak and a top prospect. and from what i read the catcher they got also is only in A ball but is hitting like .320 with 14 hrs and 96 rbis so far this season

bcransom
07-26-2008, 02:03 PM
official-http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080726&content_id=3198931&vkey=trade2008&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

JoshJones08
07-26-2008, 02:12 PM
Cleveland's haul is astonishing.

jscotty8
07-26-2008, 02:14 PM
I just find it funny that when ned was hired all he could talk about is the young players he had to work with... why does he keep making deals and signing players like this?

GHGHCP
07-26-2008, 02:18 PM
Ned Colletti: "Casey Blake is a gamer."

Yeah, I think I'm done for today, gonna get drunk and wish we had a competent GM.

Kinsm
07-26-2008, 02:37 PM
I just find it funny that when ned was hired all he could talk about is the young players he had to work with... why does he keep making deals and signing players like this?

Because his young players haven't exactly wowed him, they're still a game below .500 w/ Kemp, Loney, Ethier, and the rest. Coletti is at least trying to get the pieces to win the atrocious NL West this year. All these guys could and should improve, but now is the time to make a push for the playoffs. The indians picked up Blake's entire salary, so it definitely isn't a money issue.

LARock21
07-26-2008, 03:14 PM
^you're wrong it's not the young guys that's the problem, they've been very solid and have carried this team. It's the vets that have let the team down (jones, nomar, kent, penny, pierre). This is why a lot of us are pissed that he signed ANOTHER aging vet who's numbers will likely go down and drag us and block the development of the younger guys like laroche/dewitt

dodgernation
07-26-2008, 03:27 PM
Juan Pierre hasn't let the dodgers down. He is playing the same as he always has. It was just a bad signing.

kyubi256
07-26-2008, 03:29 PM
The Dodgers spent too much money this year not to compete for a World Series... they were desperate and needed to make a move... this was it.

It was a bad move but they felt that Blake was needed to compete

GHGHCP
07-26-2008, 03:30 PM
Juan Pierre hasn't let the dodgers down. He is playing the same as he always has. It was just a bad signing.

He sucked before and has been in decline for 4 years now. The contract was bad but he has managed to play WORSE in Dodger Blue.

One Nut Kruk
07-26-2008, 04:33 PM

Yeah, I think I'm done for today, gonna get drunk and wish we had a competent GM.

It's all because Blake is having a BS lucky season at the plate with RISP. It's like Colletti has the f'n mind of a 13 year old.

GHGHCP
07-26-2008, 04:44 PM
It's all because Blake is having a BS lucky season at the plate with RISP. It's like Colletti has the f'n mind of a 13 year old.

This move will tank and NedCo will get fired. Don't worry.. least I keep telling myself that.:cry:

dodgernation
07-26-2008, 04:55 PM
He sucked before and has been in decline for 4 years now. The contract was bad but he has managed to play WORSE in Dodger Blue.
how has he played worse. in '05 he hit .276 in '06 he hit .292 and in '07 for the dodgers he hit .293

he is hitting .277 so far this year but in his last 3 seasons (2005-2007)

pre-all star break: .274
post-all star break: .302

like i said earlier, he is playing the same as he always had.

GHGHCP
07-26-2008, 05:05 PM
[/B]
how has he played worse. in '05 he hit .276 in '06 he hit .292 and in '07 for the dodgers he hit .293

he is hitting .277 so far this year but in his last 3 seasons (2005-2007)

pre-all star break: .274
post-all star break: .302

like i said earlier, he is playing the same as he always had.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/p/pierrju01.shtml

Since his two "good years" (03 and 04) his overall production has declined. He was getting on base and had far more doubles and triples raising his horrible SLG%. Now after 4 years in decline he is no more then a 4th outfielder.

dodgernation
07-26-2008, 05:12 PM
http://www.baseball-reference.com/p/pierrju01.shtml

Since his two "good years" (03 and 04) his overall production has declined. He was getting on base and had far more doubles and triples raising his horrible SLG%. Now after 4 years in decline he is no more then a 4th outfielder.

we can't expect a guy to come in and play how he did 3-4 years ago.
same goes with Andruw jones. That was a terrible signing considering he hit .222 the year before. Andruw has definitely under-achieved but not Juan Pierre

Sox Appeal
07-26-2008, 05:15 PM
This is a huge move for the Dodgers. So far no team in the NL West (outside of the Rockies, but they can't pitch) has shown the ability to score runs. The acquisition of Blake, could be the move that transforms the Dodgers from a possible playoff team, to a National League Championship contender.

GHGHCP
07-26-2008, 05:23 PM
we can't expect a guy to come in and play how he did 3-4 years ago.
same goes with Andruw jones. That was a terrible signing considering he hit .222 the year before. Andruw has definitely under-achieved but not Juan Pierre

You're looking at only BA. Look at Pierre's OBP and SLG, both of them in decline.

Look at his OPS+ the last 4 years.

68 this year.

yojoe792
07-26-2008, 05:37 PM
This is a huge move for the Dodgers. So far no team in the NL West (outside of the Rockies, but they can't pitch) has shown the ability to score runs. The acquisition of Blake, could be the move that transforms the Dodgers from a possible playoff team, to a National League Championship contender.

I hope your right. But the truth is YOUR NOT. (:cry:)

One Nut Kruk
07-26-2008, 06:16 PM

For your own sake, I hope you are kidding. If not....well....you're dumb.

Bleeds Blue
07-26-2008, 06:29 PM
i suppose i could see casey helping get the west title but as far as the nl i really dont think so. im a dodger fan and il even admit thats insane

One Nut Kruk
07-26-2008, 06:42 PM
i suppose i could see casey helping get the west title but as far as the nl i really dont think so. im a dodger fan and il even admit thats insane

I can the Dodgers winning the West but it won't be solely because of this move. He may contribute a bit but the way that one dude was talking, it's as if they just traded for A-Rod.

GHGHCP
07-26-2008, 06:48 PM
I can the Dodgers winning the West but it won't be solely because of this move. He may contribute a bit but the way that one dude was talking, it's as if they just traded for A-Rod.

I can see Kemp coming into his own, Kent producing his hot 2nd half numbers like he always does and Loney getting hot like he did last year in Sept. while Blake tanks completely. We make the playoffs and NedCo gets an extension, deepening my ( and every Dodger fans) depression. :D

CAIN=FUTURE
07-27-2008, 02:07 AM
I can see Kemp coming into his own, Kent producing his hot 2nd half numbers like he always does and Loney getting hot like he did last year in Sept. while Blake tanks completely. We make the playoffs and NedCo gets an extension, deepening my ( and every Dodger fans) depression. :D

Its almost that time of the year again boys and girls, Giants-dodgers. The Giants are gonna give a nice welcoming gift (fast ball to the dome) to mr. Blake.

CAIN=FUTURE
07-27-2008, 02:08 AM

Im telling you! Nedco is still loyal to the Giants! He stole gamer from the Giants.

CAIN=FUTURE
07-27-2008, 02:14 AM
5th from Law IF you sign all of your top picks.. which you haven't. Does Sabean even do the draft for your team anyway? You seem to be giving him too much credit. Both Sabean and NedCo are idiots.

True that. Iv heard that MLB doesn't want the Giants to sign Posey until the signing deadline because he will probably get a Major League contract and they don't want all the other players thinking they deserve ML contracts. And you keep hinting that you think Angel Villalona won't make a difference on the Giants, why?