PDA

View Full Version : Will the Denver Nuggets make the playoffs?

DenButsu
07-26-2008, 05:16 AM
It seems like a simple enough question, but I really think a lot of people haven't fully thought this one through.

In looking through the predictions thread, it's very clear that the overriding perception is that as of right now, the Warriors, Clippers, Blazers and Kings are all better than the Nuggets. And I'm thinking: Well, slow down. Most people have jumped to this hasty conclusion based solely on the attention grabbing move by Denver to "trade away Camby for nothing". (And in this thread, I'll just set aside trying to explain how it wasn't for "nothing"). But a lot is being overlooked at the same time. Granted, the Nugs probably haven't gotten all that much better, but have they really gotten that much worse, either?

I would argue that if Nene is healthy - and I admit that's a major question mark - but if he's healthy, so that in essence we replace Camby with Nene at center (since Nene was absent for the entire 2007-08 season), that the Nuggets are an improved team. What Nene lacks by comparison in rebounding and shot blocking, he more than makes up for by being a true post scorer and post presence, by being a true one-on-one defender on the block, by his ability to run a legitimate pick-and-roll game with Melo, and perhaps most importantly by being (in my opinion) the Nuggets' most effective player in a halfcourt offense.

J.R. Smith may or may not actually start. But he'l probably be looking at racking up the second highest total of guard minutes (after AI).

I know taken alone these are players to roll eyes at, but Chucky Atkins should be able to play and recovered from injury, and we just signed the Birdman and Dahntay Jones. With an improving Linas Kleiza in tow, and almost certainly at least one more significant pickup before the offseason concludes, that gives us pretty solid depth.

I think this roster makes the playoffs in the West in the 2008-09 season:

AI-Chucky-Anthony Carter
J.R. Smith-Dahntay Jones
Melo-Kleiza-Sonny Weems
K-Mart-Andersen
Nene-Hunter-? (one more big to play PF/C, I'm guessing)

But I know there are doubters.

So what do you think? Will the Denver Nuggets make the playoffs?

valade16
07-26-2008, 05:44 AM
Thay have as good a chance as the Warriors, Clippers, Kings, and Blazers, however there are many causes for concern. Firstly, the trade that sent Camby away for a $10 mil trade exception was a dump move and the problem is there aren't a lot of players that are equal in value to players who make $10 mil more than them. Secondly while Nene is better offensively do you really think the Nuggets need more offense?! They needed Camby's defense, but instead they dumped him to get more offense. They can't outscore everybody, eventually they have to play some defense and I don't see it with AI Melo and J.R. on the court together...

Right now I'd say they will finish just behind the Blazers and Warriors but just ahead of the Clippers and Kings, though still out of the playoffs.

{}
07-26-2008, 05:57 AM

Absolutely not, and you can quote me on that.

Matter of fact, I don't see a team built around Melo amounting too much even when healthy. Nugget fans may be facing a long playoff drought.

DenButsu
07-26-2008, 06:08 AM

Matter of fact, I don't see a team built around Melo amounting too much even when healthy. Nugget fans may be facing a long playoff drought.

Melo pretty much singlehandely transformed a 17 win team into a playoff team in his rookie season. :shrug:

And valade16, I think Nene is better defensively than Camby. Seriously. He's not a better defensive rebounder or shot blocker, but he's a much better on the ball defender. If he'd been healthy in the recent playoffs and Camby had been injured, you wouldn't have seen the Lakers abuse us in the paint nearly as badly. Gasol and Odom were just strolling up casually to the basket...

Tom81
07-26-2008, 06:09 AM
hard to say

{}
07-26-2008, 07:35 AM
Melo pretty much singlehandely transformed a 17 win team into a playoff team in his rookie season. :shrug:

IMO, Andre Miller and Marcus Camby playing a full year probably had an equal if not greater role in that 17 game turn around.

JordansBulls
07-26-2008, 08:10 AM
It seems like a simple enough question, but I really think a lot of people haven't fully thought this one through.

In looking through the predictions thread, it's very clear that the overriding perception is that as of right now, the Warriors, Clippers, Blazers and Kings are all better than the Nuggets. And I'm thinking: Well, slow down. Most people have jumped to this hasty conclusion based solely on the attention grabbing move by Denver to "trade away Camby for nothing". (And in this thread, I'll just set aside trying to explain how it wasn't for "nothing"). But a lot is being overlooked at the same time. Granted, the Nugs probably haven't gotten all that much better, but have they really gotten that much worse, either?

I would argue that if Nene is healthy - and I admit that's a major question mark - but if he's healthy, so that in essence we replace Camby with Nene at center (since Nene was absent for the entire 2007-08 season), that the Nuggets are an improved team. What Nene lacks by comparison in rebounding and shot blocking, he more than makes up for by being a true post scorer and post presence, by being a true one-on-one defender on the block, by his ability to run a legitimate pick-and-roll game with Melo, and perhaps most importantly by being (in my opinion) the Nuggets' most effective player in a halfcourt offense.

J.R. Smith may or may not actually start. But he'l probably be looking at racking up the second highest total of guard minutes (after AI).

I know taken alone these are players to roll eyes at, but Chucky Atkins should be able to play and recovered from injury, and we just signed the Birdman and Dahntay Jones. With an improving Linas Kleiza in tow, and almost certainly at least one more significant pickup before the offseason concludes, that gives us pretty solid depth.

I think this roster makes the playoffs in the West in the 2008-09 season:

AI-Chucky-Anthony Carter
J.R. Smith-Dahntay Jones
Melo-Kleiza-Sonny Weems
K-Mart-Andersen
Nene-Hunter-? (one more big to play PF/C, I'm guessing)

But I know there are doubters.

The only team I would be worried about getting in over the Nuggets are the Blazers. We really don't know how good they will be nor Oden.

Ragun
07-26-2008, 08:18 AM
I dont think so. They were bad on defense and lost arguably their best defensive big.

Jay22Redd
07-26-2008, 09:57 AM
no, not at all

07-26-2008, 10:18 AM

A Bit arrogant if i may so... i'll be waiting till the end of the season to quote you on that:mad:

AirJordanXVIII
07-26-2008, 11:07 AM
If Nene can stay healthy can be like a 15-8 guy and Carmelo really takes leadership. Yes. But then they would be booted out in the 1st round again IMO.

_Sn1P3r_
07-26-2008, 11:36 AM
They got the offense and if they work on their defense, they could make the playoffs.

JordansBulls
07-26-2008, 11:41 AM
A team with 2 top 15 players in the league should have no trouble making the playoffs.

haircanada
07-26-2008, 01:50 PM
nope:)

Young_Josh
07-26-2008, 01:53 PM
No they have gotton worse and they shouldnt of even made the playoffs last year

Joshtd1
07-26-2008, 01:56 PM
Well, right now IMO, I dont think so.

DenButsu
07-26-2008, 02:03 PM
nope:)

Why?

This is exactly what I was trying to address in my top post. A lot of people are basically just saying this without really providing substantive reasons that back up why they think so.

Chronz
07-26-2008, 02:41 PM
I base alot of a teams potential based on how they produce and how they defend at every position. Strangely the Nuggets had one of the highest differentials in the league aside from the PF position. Its part of the reason why I think the AI-Melo era shouldve been given 1 more shot with a healthy frontcourt. Theyve never had all 3 primary bigs healthy for an entire year, but without Camby there went their biggest net gainer, if any team can survive the loss of Camby its these guys. They are so strong at the wing positions that they can win on any night.

I do think you took a step back but only by about 5 games or so, whether that means your out of the playoffs depends on Oden and Camby fitting in on their new clubs, but if Nene gos down again its game over.

BlondeBomber41
07-26-2008, 02:56 PM
Well they barely snuck in last year, and have got worse while all the teams under them have got better.

So rational thinking would say no, they wont make the playoffs.

BADizzleBoY
07-26-2008, 02:59 PM
yeah they always seem too, i think they will.

SportsFan1988
07-26-2008, 03:03 PM
The Nuggets have a lot of talent on their roster once again, but here is where chemistry will most likely come into play. How will A.I., Smith and Carmelo play together? they are all score first type players, and I just can't really see how that is going to work, I mean I'm not saying they're going to be bad, but I just don't see them making past the first round of the playoffs, once again.

BADizzleBoY
07-26-2008, 03:08 PM
They do have terrible chemistry.

PRETTY BIRD
07-26-2008, 04:05 PM
no

BADizzleBoY
07-26-2008, 04:07 PM
can you give more then a one word answer? lol.

Fireworld
07-26-2008, 04:25 PM
no, not at all

BADizzleBoY
07-26-2008, 04:31 PM
they have a chance, for sure.

Catfish1314
07-26-2008, 07:36 PM
Well they are basically the same team while replacing a 9, 13, and 3 All-Star former DPOY center with...Chris Anderson.

With the Blazers gaining Jerryd Bayless and Greg Oden and losing nothing of any real value, the Warriors losing Baron Davis but gaining some solid young talent and Corey Maggette, the Nuggets don't look like a playoff team. Then there's the Kings who are basically the same team with a worth a crap center and a few players on their roster who have a rough idea what defense is.

DenButsu
07-26-2008, 07:46 PM
if Nene gos down again its game over.

That I have to agree with. Everything is riding on him and the continued success and improvement of J.R. (and even K-Mart, for that matter, who should start the season as close to 100% as he's been in years).

BADizzleBoY
07-26-2008, 07:51 PM
nene had so much potential :(

DODGERS&LAKERS
07-26-2008, 08:04 PM
That I have to agree with. Everything is riding on him and the continued success and improvement of J.R. (and even K-Mart, for that matter, who should start the season as close to 100% as he's been in years).

If you agree with Nene going down being a catastrophic blow to your teams chances, I think that should answer your own question. If the loss of one role player will do that much, it says a lot about the depth of the team. What happens if Melo or A.I. go down? Injuries happen to every team every year. If your banking on if the Nuggets could somehow go the whole season with no injuries while the rest of the league sustains their normal injuries, that is not a good forecast for the season.

DenButsu
07-26-2008, 08:26 PM
If you agree with Nene going down being a catastrophic blow to your teams chances, I think that should answer your own question. If the loss of one role player will do that much, it says a lot about the depth of the team.

Sorry to put it so bluntly, but if you think Nene is "just a role player" for the Nuggets, then it says a lot about how little you know about the team.

He's our starting center next season, and would have been the starting PF before K-Mart last season had he not been injured.

hockeypro68
07-26-2008, 08:53 PM
I think seeds 6, 7, and 8 are going to be fought over between Phoenix, Dallas, Denver, Portland, and THE CLIPPERS. Its pretty ugly out west...sometimes i wish we were an Eastern Conference team.

BigEric
07-27-2008, 03:04 AM
Not with Chris Anderson playing Center.

BigEric
07-27-2008, 03:05 AM
I think seeds 6, 7, and 8 are going to be fought over between Phoenix, Dallas, Denver, Portland, and THE CLIPPERS. Its pretty ugly out west...sometimes i wish we were an Eastern Conference team.

That is how every mediocre team in west feels...

clehmun
07-27-2008, 03:11 AM
Sorry to put it so bluntly, but if you think Nene is "just a role player" for the Nuggets, then it says a lot about how little you know about the team.

He's our starting center next season, and would have been the starting PF before K-Mart last season had he not been injured.

a starting center can be a role player too :confused:
i like him as a player. i thought he'd grow into a good bigman. he still have the chance to, he's young. but he's more injury prone than camby.
his best season in his 6 year career is 12 and 7. thats a good role player to me... pretty good season, but nothing that screams all-star.

i don't know what you want to call him, but so far... he's a role player.

DODGERS&LAKERS
07-27-2008, 11:14 AM

Than I guess by your standards Vladamir Radmonivich is not a role player cause he is our starting SF. Would Fisher also be considered a star cause he is our starting point guard? Nene is a role player. Anthony and A.I. are the stars of the team. Everyone else plays a role. Nene's role will be to play at least some defense on other bigs. From what I have seen of him he is a pretty good one on one defender. Not so much a help defender.

Unfortunately, that is what your team really needs. A.I gambles every play down the floor, Anthony wont move his feet to save his life, and Carter is too short to d up anyone really. Martin is a pretty good athletic defender from what I seen in the playoffs. But I doubt he is going to be guarding shooting guards the majority of the time. How does he do against other big men? Nene is going to need to be more like Camby and be a roaming shot blocker. Cause if he tries to be a solid shut down defender on his own man, there is going to be a lay up line going on right behind him. Camby erased a lot of the parameter guys mistakes. He is not there anymore. And giving him up with the chance to possibly swap second round draft picks is not going to make it any easier on the Nuggets to make the playoffs this year either.

DenButsu
07-27-2008, 01:38 PM
clehmun, D&L, you're both missing the point I was trying to make about Nene.

And the point was that he wasn't the 4th or 5th guy in the starting 5, he was the 3rd. More important than Camby, more important than K-Mart, and more important than whatever scrub was starting at pg at the time. The only true scorer/presence down low on the block, and the only true on the ball defender in the same location. An essential player, not a role player.

Mr_Clutch
07-27-2008, 02:32 PM
That team should easily win the title.

Chronz
07-27-2008, 03:24 PM
If you agree with Nene going down being a catastrophic blow to your teams chances, I think that should answer your own question. If the loss of one role player will do that much, it says a lot about the depth of the team. What happens if Melo or A.I. go down? Injuries happen to every team every year. If your banking on if the Nuggets could somehow go the whole season with no injuries while the rest of the league sustains their normal injuries, that is not a good forecast for the season.
Thats the kind of impact bigmen have my man, think back at how differently of a team the Lakers were. With Bynum/Pau and how average they were without Bynum/Pau.

In the Nuggets case they arent a playoff team without Nene, and your right about the injuries point, they are a part of the game but I think we're both saying he cant miss an entire seasons worth of games, again. If either Melo or AI gets injured the other could replace some of the scoring and JR Smith could step in and fill the gap, but if Nene gos out they have Chris Anderson to depend on, and I have no idea how effective he will be.

UNETOWNBAYAREA
07-27-2008, 08:04 PM
dont think they will come close. There only defensive player they had was traded away. Everyone knows how bad they were with their defense before.

sanfranfan1210
07-27-2008, 10:50 PM
No, they won't

DenButsu
07-27-2008, 10:50 PM
I have no idea how effective he will be.

He's a natural born role player off the bench who should never play more than 10-15 minutes a game under nearly any circumstances. (Until proven otherwise).

If we have to start him, it's probably time to start looking into moving AI for a big man before the trade deadline, or just write off the season.

simpsona
07-30-2008, 01:30 PM
Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

RapsFan4Life
07-30-2008, 01:43 PM
i think this is a dumb thread cuz there is no way nuggets just lost camby and are thinking their roster is set, there is obviously more moves to be made by their GM so as of now they are not playoff team, but they are going to make some trades and pick ups ... before nov1st they will be play off worthy

DenButsu
07-30-2008, 08:27 PM
The Camby trade got all the attention, but the Nuggets are fairly quietly - and cheaply - putting together a pretty solid bench now. If AI and JR are the two starting guards - as they should be - then these are the reserves:

Chucky-Dahntay Jones-Balkman-Kleiza-Birdman
A. Carter-Weems

No real big names there (although LK's stature will be rising for sure), but with all the big names in the starting 5, what the Nugs really need are selfless, hard-working, defensive-minded (or possessing a 3pt shot), scrappy role players. And they're doing a pretty good job of assembling a fairly solid crew for that purpose.

bleedprple&gold
07-30-2008, 08:35 PM
It's going to be difficult for them. I think the Lakers, Spurs, Jazz, Hornets, Rockets and Blazers are locks to make the playoffs, with the Nuggets battling the Suns, Mavs, Warriors and Clippers for the last two seeds.

JIDsanity
07-30-2008, 08:42 PM
Thay have as good a chance as the Warriors, Clippers, Kings, and Blazers, however there are many causes for concern. Firstly, the trade that sent Camby away for a $10 mil trade exception was a dump move and the problem is there aren't a lot of players that are equal in value to players who make $10 mil more than them. Secondly while Nene is better offensively do you really think the Nuggets need more offense?! They needed Camby's defense, but instead they dumped him to get more offense. They can't outscore everybody, eventually they have to play some defense and I don't see it with AI Melo and J.R. on the court together...

Right now I'd say they will finish just behind the Blazers and Warriors but just ahead of the Clippers and Kings, though still out of the playoffs.

yep. But Kings have 0 chance

DenButsu
07-30-2008, 08:51 PM
I think the... Blazers are locks to make the playoffs

I still don't understand why everybody is so absolutely sold on Portland when they haven't proven anything yet.

I'd never deny that they have amazing potential with all the young talent on their team, and that that potential could add up to a playoff spot if it adds up right and really clicks together.

But at the same time, everybody seems to forget that every year on All-Star weekend, the sophomores routinely bludgeon the rookies by about 165-120, even when the rookie team is "more talented".

Experience counts for a lot in the NBA, and the Blazers don't have much of it on their roster. I won't be surprised per se if they make the playoffs, but I also am most definitely not on the same "Ohhhh Portland is so dreamy!" bandwagon that everyone jumped on on draft day.

Afridi786
07-30-2008, 08:53 PM
Yeah they will, Warriors r done, Kings r in rebuild mode, the only teams they have to compete with are the Clips and Blazers...I think Nugs r still better than them.

Goon.Weezy
07-30-2008, 09:14 PM
HELLLL NAWWWW........they got no chance in HELL.....they got lucky last year

argo
07-30-2008, 10:28 PM
IMO no
- one of the worst defensive teams in the league traded away their best defender (Camby).
- AI, Melo, and JR are all shoot first, volume shooters and are average or worse on D.
- the west is too tough 1-8

kv9588
07-30-2008, 10:53 PM
If they can step it up and Carmelo grows up. The Clips got way better and even with the loss of bdiddy the warriors are gunna be good with their free agent signings. Blazers are another team that are gunna be much tougher than last year so with an already tight western conference where teams are getting better...the nuggets are staying the same if not getting worse.

UNETOWNBAYAREA
07-30-2008, 10:55 PM

clips suck.. LMAO u honestly think they will come close to a .500 record?? thanks, i needed that laugh though

UNETOWNBAYAREA
07-30-2008, 10:56 PM
Yeah they will, Warriors r done, Kings r in rebuild mode, the only teams they have to compete with are the Clips and Blazers...I think Nugs r still better than them.

I can tell u dont know basketball... how r the warriors done? They got deeper and their only lost was injury prone davis... IMO they got better...

DenButsu
07-30-2008, 10:57 PM

Lucky? I think not. Our starting PF and only true post player, Nene, and the guy who was supposed to be our starting pg, Atkins, were both out the entire season with injuries. Yet in spite of that, down the final stretch of the season when the playoff race tightened up:

Sun, Mar 23 @ Toronto W 109-100 42-28
Mon, Mar 24 @ Memphis W 120-106 43-28
Thu, Mar 27 Dallas W 118-105 44-28
Sat, Mar 29 Golden State W 119-112 45-28
Mon, Mar 31 @ Phoenix L 117-132 45-29
Tue, Apr 1 Phoenix W 126-120 46-29
Sat, Apr 5 Sacramento L 115-118 46-30
Sun, Apr 6 @ Seattle L 147-151 OT 46-31
Tue, Apr 8 @ LA Clippers W 117-99 47-31
Thu, Apr 10 @ Golden State W 114-105 48-31
Sat, Apr 12 @ Utah L 97-124 48-32
Sun, Apr 13 Houston W 111-94 49-32
Wed, Apr 16 Memphis W 120-111 50-32

When we were 41-28 with 13 games remaining, we won all three games against the two teams we were fighting against for the last two playoff spots (Dallas and Golden State), including one absolutely tough and critical game in Oakland, we beat Toronto on the road and Phoenix and Houston at home. So we went 6-8 against playoff (or potential playoff, in GSW's case) teams. The only low spot in that whole stretch was dropping consecutive losses to Sac and Seattle. But overall it was a really impressive push to end up with 50 wins and the 8th seed, that required two direct hits against the Warriors (who for some unknown reason everybody continues to insist on thinking are still better than the Nuggets) to accomplish.

Got lucky? That's a load of crap. If you don't like the Nugs, fine, but at least give credit where it's due.

avsman05
07-30-2008, 11:02 PM

How do you figure they were "lucky" last year they won 50 games whats "lucky" was that they blew 10 games like they did and werent the first seed in the west.

avsman05
07-30-2008, 11:04 PM
dang den beat me and u were more indepth

DenButsu
07-30-2008, 11:16 PM
dang den beat me and u were more indepth

:laugh2: Well, you know the Nugs get a lot of bashing, so we gotta represent. :smoking:

I really don't mind people thinking they might not make the playoffs, either. I mean, the nature of predictions in a stacked conference is that not every team makes the cut. Only thing that bothers me is when people dismiss them outright with no explanation. In any thread on any topic, if you're going to completely write off a team or a player, you really should back it up with some facts and knowledge.

avsman05
07-30-2008, 11:40 PM
:laugh2: Well, you know the Nugs get a lot of bashing, so we gotta represent. :smoking:

I really don't mind people thinking they might not make the playoffs, either. I mean, the nature of predictions in a stacked conference is that not every team makes the cut. Only thing that bothers me is when people dismiss them outright with no explanation. In any thread on any topic, if you're going to completely write off a team or a player, you really should back it up with some facts and knowledge.

Ya i definately agree it makes you sound dumb for the most part if you say no way and leave it at that.

Crunchy12489
07-30-2008, 11:44 PM
Got lucky? That's a load of crap. If you don't like the Nugs, fine, but at least give credit where it's due.

damn right

sevanseven
07-30-2008, 11:54 PM
no, denver's game is too flashy. i just feel bad for AI cuz when he was first traded to denver, everybody was thinking denver was going to be the team to beat. but then out of nowhere, the west becomes outstanding the following year. that led to the questions of denver even making it to the playoffs. although they did, they got disrespected by the lakers.

JordansBulls
07-31-2008, 12:00 AM
I sure hope the Nuggets take a deal from the Bulls of Rose, Gordon, Deng and Hughes for Melo, Iverson and Atkins.

Crunchy12489
07-31-2008, 12:01 AM
I sure hope the Nuggets take a deal from the Bulls of Rose, Gordon, Deng and Hughes for Melo, Iverson and Atkins.

Wow Melo and AI would dominate the East.

Rome
07-31-2008, 12:04 AM
^ Easily. Two superstars, they have to, but no defense in the powerful west.... 50 50 for me. They barely get in if even.

Lakersfan2483
07-31-2008, 12:09 AM
Let's examine which teams will be ahead of Denver next season: Lakers, Houston, New Orleans, San Antonio, Utah, Dallas, Portland, and Phoenix. I think the Nuggets will have to battle with Portland and Phoenix for the last 2 spots in the playoffs next season.

Lakersfan2483
07-31-2008, 12:11 AM
I am not sure Denver will make it next year, they need a true point guard and they need to make the commitment to play defense every game.

TheFuture6
07-31-2008, 12:18 AM
Its a coin flip for me.

Too risky going into the season with the current lineup of bigs... if Nene goes down for any real length then we are done.

But with the talent and ability to score like we do, we can win on any night. It's a matter of not dropping games to lesser teams like the Nuggets tend to do.

Crunchy12489
07-31-2008, 12:22 AM
No, it's really the matter of us holding some ****ing defense consistently.

We proved to everyone across the globe we can score... We lost Najera and Camby... They barely scored at all, so we still have those scorers intact (AI, JR, Melo, Kleiza)... Not to mention we picked up Balkman and Anderson... Not to mention that Nene and Steven Hunter (7 footer) are getting mega minutes now... They both like to cut and that's what Denver needs... SOMEONE TO ****ING CUT... Eddie did a great job at cutting, but I think Balkman will prove he is better than Eduardo...

We have the offensive talent, we just have to hustle on the other side of the floor... We got 50 wins and it wasn't luck haters... Just think if we actually hustled and played consistent D... We would have won maybe 7-11 more games which would have placed us higher in the seedings!

#1Mavericksfan
07-31-2008, 12:57 AM
I see Denver, Suns, and the Mavs fighting for the last playoff spot.

heyman321
07-31-2008, 01:00 AM
Why does everyone think the Blazers are gonna be a 6-7 seed in the west? They are still incredibly young. I dont think Oden is gonna make a huge difference in his first year. IMO, Roy shouldn't have even been an all-star last season. Personally I do not see the Mavs fighting for the 8 seed. They will be 6-7. But to answer the question, I dont think Denver will make the playoffs. Portland may very well take the 8 seed.

ridere46
07-31-2008, 03:16 AM
No defense = no playoffs. Yes they can score but so can everybody else. The elite teams like the Lakers, SA, Celtics...play defense. Denver does not. They have very little chemistry and no leadership. They have two huge stars with so much potential but nothing to show for. I'm an AI fan and a Melo fan but the two just don't work. Nugget fans prepare to rebuild.

Crunchy12489
07-31-2008, 03:17 AM
All I have to say is at this moment, 56 people will be proven wrong.

HOZ THE KNICK
07-31-2008, 07:55 AM
no they took a step back this off season,and ai will be traded by the deadline.

SHONIE
07-31-2008, 10:34 AM
I think that 6 teams will be contending for the last 3 seeds:

Dallas, Portland, Phoenix, LA Clippers, Denver, GSW

In my opinion, San Antonio, LA Lakers, Houston, New Orleans, and Utah should all make it.

Crunchy12489
07-31-2008, 10:39 AM
I think that 6 teams will be contending for the last 3 seeds:

Dallas, Portland, Phoenix, LA Clippers, Denver, GSW

In my opinion, San Antonio, LA Lakers, Houston, New Orleans, and Utah should all make it.

Portland is too young right now to make it... I say in 3-4 years they will be at the top of their game...

Golden State is still a small team with no experience just like the Blazers...

JordansBulls
07-31-2008, 10:43 AM
Portland is too young right now to make it... I say in 3-4 years they will be at the top of their game...

Golden State is still a small team with no experience just like the Blazers...

why is Portland too young?

They were 41-41 last year with Oden out all last year. Now with Oden, Aldridge, Webster, Roy and Bayless that team is stacked. They will make the playoffs IMO and believe me the Lakers nor the Rockets would want to play them in the 1st round.

DenButsu
07-31-2008, 11:37 AM
why is Portland too young?

They were 41-41 last year with Oden out all last year. Now with Oden, Aldridge, Webster, Roy and Bayless that team is stacked. They will make the playoffs IMO and believe me the Lakers nor the Rockets would want to play them in the 1st round.

But they had that one really serendipitous stretch (either a long winning streak or a long stretch with very few losses) that put them over the top to .500 - and it's just my humble impression, but I think they somehow found a way to perform above their true level at that time, and the rest of the season was more indicative of where they were really at. Or in other words, the way I see it they could get significantly better and still end up with 42 wins.