PDA

View Full Version : Toronto Huskies

SAVAGE CLAW
07-25-2008, 10:56 PM
As a Knick fan i am very fond that the first game ever on this league matched my team with the Toronto Huskies.

I aways found kind of lame the Raptors name, it was chosen due to Jurasic park being popular back then and the dino-mania died more than a decade ago, the mascot is also horrible, it looks like barney.

Why not take a classier name filled of history as it is the Huskies.

And of course i never saw a velociraptor in toronto but saw a lot of Huskies.

TheHip
07-25-2008, 11:03 PM
This just in! Chris Bosh teaching the new raptors where to park their dog sleds in acc's underground parking.

bebop
07-26-2008, 12:30 AM
This just in! Chris Bosh teaching the new raptors where to park their dog sleds in acc's underground parking.

AHahaha... Nice one. That's nice of Bosh to take the new guys under his 'parka'
:rolleyes:

Listen:

-LA's not known for Lakes (Minnesota)
-How many Wizards are in Washington??
-There's def no Jazz in Utah

... You get the point.

That being said. I do understand where you're coming from. Toronto Huskies wouldn't have been bad for nostalgic reasons. However, the name was voted on by the (future) fans. With Jurassic Park still fresh in their mind, that's what the public came up with. Its clear the name "Raptors" has grown on the city and fans have really embraced it.

Also, any Barny comparisons were lost when the Raps dropped the purple Uni's

ink
07-26-2008, 02:06 AM
I'd still take anything but the "Raptors" as a team name.

Faces
07-26-2008, 07:46 AM
I still remember the nation-wide contest that was held to name the Toronto NBA team. The possible names were the Beavers, Bobcats, Dragons, Grizzlies, Hogs, Raptors, Scorpions, T-Rex, Tarantulas, and Terriers.

In my opinion, after looking at those choices, the Raptors isn't that bad of a name.

lukeem21
07-26-2008, 09:17 AM
i'm pretty sure it came down to the raptors and the towers actually and i prefer the towers

star
07-26-2008, 11:02 AM
i'm pretty sure it came down to the raptors and the towers actually and i prefer the towers

Actually the final vote was between
1.Raptors
2.Towers
3.Tarantulas

I agree i liked towers best (although we never had a decent front court till maybe now)

NOTE: although tarantulas sounds stupid imagine how sick the unis and court would have looked with a spider web pattern in the paint or at 1/2 court.

tkshy
07-26-2008, 11:07 AM
-LA's not known for Lakes (Minnesota)
-How many Wizards are in Washington??
-There's def no Jazz in Utah

First of all the Lakers moved and the name came with them. Same with Utah. Wizards?? Well they just wanted to get rid of the Bullets cause of all the crime at the time in Wash.

There has never been evidence of a Raptor North of Phoenix, which is why its a bad name. It should be relate to your city when you are picking a new name.

I submitted Toronto Thunder. If you take all the Thunder in Toronto it averages out to once a day. So that would make sense. Plus they could have still capitalized on the Purple craze at the time and went with black, purple, and silver. They even had a cool entrance. Thunderstruck by AC/DC. Think about the beginning of that song playing with the lights off at ACC "BOOM" thunder in between the annoucer saying at PF from Georgia Tech chrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrris bosssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Well I guess Okla City can do that now.

Jwizel_hitshrs
07-26-2008, 01:50 PM
As a Knick fan i am very fond that the first game ever on this league matched my team with the Toronto Huskies.

I aways found kind of lame the Raptors name, it was chosen due to Jurasic park being popular back then and the dino-mania died more than a decade ago, the mascot is also horrible, it looks like barney.

From Canada and there are only huskies in like nunavut! Thats Arctic territory!
The mascot is actually voted accross the NBA as the #1 mascot, got google that bud.

Knicks fans have WAY WAY more to worry about than talking about other teams mascots. Heck i bet a starting 6 of any NBA mascots would beat u guys right now.

Good thing Randolph is getting 12 mill 2 be a knick mascot.... :smoking:

Jwizel_hitshrs
07-26-2008, 01:53 PM
i emailed in it should be:

The Toronto Maple LEAPS

lol

Tom Stone
07-26-2008, 04:09 PM

good article......What, you never seen a Velociraptor in toronto...then your not looking hard enough...Go RAPS

baileybwoy
07-26-2008, 05:12 PM
i emailed in it should be:

The Toronto Maple LEAPS

lol

lol

I shouldn't have laughed... but I did.

cdnsportsfan
07-26-2008, 05:19 PM
There has never been evidence of a Raptor North of Phoenix, which is why its a bad name. It should be relate to your city when you are picking a new name.

Yeah that's right I'm gonna be anal here for a moment:), but there actually WAS a Raptor species discovered north of Phoenix by the name of Utahraptor (discovered in '91). Ironically enough the movie portrayal of the Velociraptor made them twice the size they were believed to have been, yet the Utahraptor fits the proper dimensions of the dinosaur that was the star of the Jurassic Park franchise.

http://www.abc.net.au/dinosaurs/fact_files/sky/utahraptor.htm

On a side note, the Utah Raptors sounds like a pretty bada$$ name and would make more sense than the Jazz, but I digress...

I would've preferred the Huskies or Towers myself for the Toronto team, but the name has definitely grown on me, and now that they've essentially changed their logo to the claw and remade their jerseys I like the look of them too!

R. Johnson#3
07-26-2008, 07:26 PM
We already have the George Brown Huskies.

AK-50
07-26-2008, 08:02 PM
wait...what he say about our mascot? The Raptor is way better than the Knicks mascot

Master P
07-26-2008, 08:40 PM
I have to agree with anyone who expresses distaste for the 'raptors' name. it's not because of where geographical concerns over where pre-historic raptors actually lived, or how cool the claw, uniforms, and mascot have gotten. it's the principal that we named our team because of a movie. by that example Oklahoma City should name themselves the Batman's...

tkshy
07-26-2008, 11:12 PM
Yeah that's right I'm gonna be anal here for a moment:), but there actually WAS a Raptor species discovered north of Phoenix by the name of Utahraptor (discovered in '91). Ironically enough the movie portrayal of the Velociraptor made them twice the size they were believed to have been, yet the Utahraptor fits the proper dimensions of the dinosaur that was the star of the Jurassic Park franchise.

http://www.abc.net.au/dinosaurs/fact_files/sky/utahraptor.htm

On a side note, the Utah Raptors sounds like a pretty bada$$ name and would make more sense than the Jazz, but I digress...

I would've preferred the Huskies or Towers myself for the Toronto team, but the name has definitely grown on me, and now that they've essentially changed their logo to the claw and remade their jerseys I like the look of them too!

I stand corrected. Good research. SO the Raptor of any kind did not go further north then UTAH?? LOL. The rest stays the same.

conway429
07-26-2008, 11:50 PM
The name's not that bad.... granted, it was kinda dumb in the first place, but it's grown on me. And Bosh looks like one anyways, so now it makes sense.
And I don't mind the Raptor... sure most of us probably think it's stupid, but a mascot is there for the kids... there's definately worse mascots in sports.

_Sn1P3r_
07-27-2008, 12:15 AM
The name's not that bad.... granted, it was kinda dumb in the first place, but it's grown on me. And Bosh looks like one anyways, so now it makes sense.
And I don't mind the Raptor... sure most of us probably think it's stupid, but a mascot is there for the kids... there's definately worse mascots in sports.

Lols. Agreed. :nod: