Girardi $1,550,000
Staal $826,667

Lundqvist $6,875,000
Valiquette $725,000

Dead Space $1,540,640*
Total Hit $55,397,783
Salary Cap $56,700,000
Free Space $1,302,217

Are we making anymore moves( Prucha or Betts?) I'm guessing one more to free up for Shanny.

Desert Plains
07-26-2008, 02:48 PM
Good info. What was the source? Is this on NHL.com?

Also, do you know what the "dead space" number means? Is that carry-over bonus money (deferred incentives) from last year?

I assume if we are this close to the cap at this point, more moves will be made to free up space before the season starts. Not necessarily to use it now, but to have wiggle room during the season in case a hole opens or to allow for a trade deadline move.

messleetch94
07-26-2008, 05:51 PM
The "Dead Space" figure is a combination of two things. First, it contains our cap overage from last season as a result of Shanahan's bonuses. The figure I came up with was $780,640. That is not an exact figure, but it's close. Second, it contains the $760,000 buyout for Jagr's option year. Those two figures, added together, gives us $1,540,604 is dead cap space for this season

CurseThis
07-28-2008, 01:18 PM
We can do one of three things...

1) Trade Prucha for a draft pick.
Upside: Frees another $1+ million for a move at the deadline
Downside: His value is probably the lowest it's been since his debut
Probability: Slim at the moment. They'll probably give him one last shot at the beginning of the season, since people in the organization seem to think his development was stunted from Shanny taking his ice time. That said, he hasn't been the same since he got plastered in his first year during that Philly game.

2) Waive Rissmiller
Upside: I don't see how he makes the lineup, so we wouldn't be wasting $1 million in cap space for him to sit in the press box
Downside: I don't think we could bring him back up after we waive him without him going through waivers on the way backup, making him a permanent AHLer until traded
Probability: Slim at the moment, more probable after training camp and exhibition games. Renney is going to want a good look at him before sending him down to the AHL for the rest of the year. If we call him back up we get hit with half of his remaining salary, which would just waste between 250k - 500k in dead cap space depending on when we recalled him.

3) Stand Pat
Upside: More competition in camp, leading to more quality options to choose from.
Downside: We might be lacking another scoring winger for the first two lines, and our trade chips are mostly picks and prospects... which leaves the cap space tight.
Probability: High... for the moment. Renney and Sather are going to see what they have on the ice this fall and then assess the situation. If they think they need another scoring winger to add to the mix, they can shed an extra million or so from the above two options. However, they may wait to make a move until the trade deadline when more players become available.

redwhiteandblue
07-28-2008, 03:58 PM
Good stuff. One thing I don't agree with is waiving Rissmiller. He's gonna be a big part of our fourth line. He's a big body who isn't a offensivly-horrible player. I think once you get an up close and personal look at him you'll approve.

As I said before I remember him back in the playoffs a couple years back and he was great. Don't get to see alot of him in-season, but when I do he always seems to impress given his small role. He should serve us nicely for a fourth liner, albeit maybe a bit overpaid.

CurseThis
07-28-2008, 07:53 PM
Good stuff. One thing I don't agree with is waiving Rissmiller. He's gonna be a big part of our fourth line. He's a big body who isn't a offensivly-horrible player. I think once you get an up close and personal look at him you'll approve.

As I said before I remember him back in the playoffs a couple years back and he was great. Don't get to see alot of him in-season, but when I do he always seems to impress given his small role. He should serve us nicely for a fourth liner, albeit maybe a bit overpaid.

He's going to have a hard time playing a lot with Voros, Orr and Sjostrom vying for spots... although Sjo may get 3rd line duty until he proves he can't handle it.

redwhiteandblue
07-28-2008, 11:35 PM
Ya that's true but pretty much I think it's going to be a line where your constantly trying to earn your way on. Like you said we do have a bit of a surplus of 3rd line caliber guys. But I still think Rissmiller will work his way into a fairly regular role on the fourth line.

SLY WILLIAMS
07-29-2008, 12:29 PM
I could see Prucha and his salary being moved if Tom Renney isnt planning on playing him like last season. It is ironic Prucha probably went from being overrated based on his rookie year to underrated now from being scratched often.

redwhiteandblue
07-29-2008, 01:11 PM
I could see Prucha and his salary being moved if Tom Renney isnt planning on playing him like last season. It is ironic Prucha probably went from being overrated based on his rookie year to underrated now from being scratched often.

Meh, I don't really see it that way. What makes him so underrated? I'm pretty sure everyone know's his skilll and situation at hand by now. He's not deserving of a sure fire roster spot like a guy like Gomer or Naslund. He's gotta earn his way on and find a place in the lineup. It's up to him. No doubt he's got some skill, but I think it's clearly evident he's weak and easy to toss around, subsuquently making him pretty ineffective.

letsgorangers27
07-29-2008, 01:33 PM
his production took a major toll when shanny signed up. he lost all his pp time, 2nd line duties and other ****. he wasnt gonna be able to produce the #s he previously did with that limited amount of time. if he comes into camp playing well and earning his old time back then we'll likely see a major turn around.(at least i hope so cause prucha's da man)

SLY WILLIAMS
07-29-2008, 03:29 PM
Meh, I don't really see it that way. What makes him so underrated? I'm pretty sure everyone know's his skilll and situation at hand by now. He's not deserving of a sure fire roster spot like a guy like Gomer or Naslund. He's gotta earn his way on and find a place in the lineup. It's up to him. No doubt he's got some skill, but I think it's clearly evident he's weak and easy to toss around, subsuquently making him pretty ineffective.

Many people over rated him a bit when he scored around 27 goals in 60 games.

Many people now underrate him a bit since he dropped down to around 8 goals.

SLY WILLIAMS
07-29-2008, 03:33 PM
his production took a major toll when shanny signed up. he lost all his pp time, 2nd line duties and other ****. he wasnt gonna be able to produce the #s he previously did with that limited amount of time. if he comes into camp playing well and earning his old time back then we'll likely see a major turn around.(at least i hope so cause prucha's da man)

He played near the same over all time I think. I saw other variables.

In his rookie year the league was more wide open. Now the last 2 years he has been taking a physical beating on the ice often. To his credit he keeps bouncing back up.

He earned more power play time as a rookie by producing but once his production dropped so did his pp time.

CurseThis
07-29-2008, 11:04 PM
He played near the same over all time I think. I saw other variables.

In his rookie year the league was more wide open. Now the last 2 years he has been taking a physical beating on the ice often. To his credit he keeps bouncing back up.

He earned more power play time as a rookie by producing but once his production dropped so did his pp time.

Exactly. The kid skates with his head down ALL THE TIME. One of these days he's going to get hit like Stevens hit Lindros and his brain will turn into mashed potatoes.

We're best off trading him before his value drops even more. Don Maloney has a man crush on Prucha, so maybe we can unload him to Phoenix for a pick. Prucha would probably die in the Western Conference though... but that's not our problem.

Desert Plains
07-31-2008, 07:59 PM

I think it's more like he went from being over-valued (meaning we might have been able to get more for him then what he really worth, factoring his goal total was less talent and more right-lace-right-time) to now being under-valued (the return we'd get for him now is probably lower then it should be based on his ability, and maybe not worth trading).